UgandanChungus

The so-called "Karlsruhe" is actually a Pillau

21 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

Gentlemen o7,

So after reading some Wikipedia regarding the histories of the ships that I own in WoWS, I have discovered many inaccuracies in the information Wargaming has given us in regards to these ships. The main example that I will be presenting right now would be the "Karlsruhe" class. Which interestingly enough, isn't actually a Karlsruhe, it far more closely resembles, in many aspects, a Pillau class, in things such as guns, torpedoes, speed, engine power, and even just when they were built, the Karlsruhe we see in World of Warhships today far more closely resembles the Pillau class than any other ship. Here's a comparision, the differences between the IRL ships and the one in WoWS will be Bold and the similarities in Underlined Italics.

- Karlsruhe in WoWS:

Guns: 8x 15cm L/45 SK | 2x 8.8cm L/45 MPL C/13

Torpedoes: 2x Twin 60cm Deck Mounted Torpedoes

Armor: 60mm Belt | 40mm Deck

Speed: 27.5 Knots

Engine Power: 45000 Horsepower

Commissioned: 1916

# Ships Commissioned: 14

- Karlsruhe class IRL

Guns: 12x 10.5cm L/45 SK

Torpedoes: 2x Twin* 50cm Submerged Torpedo Tubes

Armor: 60mm Belt | 60mm Deck

Speed: 29.3 Knots

Engine Power: 26000 Horsepower

Commissioned: January 1914

# Ships Commissioned: 2

- Pillau class IRL

Guns: 8x 15cm L/45 SK | 2x 8.8cm L/45 SK

Torpedoes: 2x Twin* 50cm Deck Mounted Torpedo Tubes

Armor: 0 mm Belt** | 80mm Deck

Speed: 27.5 Knots

Engine Power: 30000 Horsepower

Commisioned: December 1914

# Ships Commissioned: 2

*Assumed Twin as Wikipedia does not actually say

**Ship was built to Russian Navy specifications therefore no waterline belt was added. But was confiscated by the Kaiserliche Marine prior to completion.

All in all, there are still some differences regarding the Pillau and the Karlsruhe we see in WoWS however there are still more similarities between those two than the real life Karlsruhe and the one we see in game.

And as much as I like telling people to get Karlsruined in game, I think, with all these differences, either the ship needs a rename or an overhaul.

What do you guys think?

Links to the info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karlsruhe-class_cruiser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Karlsruhe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillau-class_cruiser

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Pillau

Edited by Zam1

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

I don't know much about German ships, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.  The Furutaka has twice the number of gun turrets and half as many guns in each turret as she should.

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

I don't know much about German ships, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.  The Furutaka has twice the number of gun turrets and half as many guns in each turret as she should.

The way the Furutaka is laid out in it's intial configuration with the 200mm guns is historically correct as is, however post refit despite them IRL being three Twin Mount turrets, it's the exact same model of six single mounts. I'd honestly chalk that one up to laziness on the devs part.
Edited by Zam1

Alpha Tester
1,427 posts
558 battles

I'd honestly chalk that one up to laziness on the devs part.

The final setup was identical in every way to that on the Aoba.  They could've literally just copy-pasta'd it.  The laziness that would be required... nah

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

The final setup was identical in every way to that on the Aoba.  They could've literally just copy-pasta'd it.  The laziness that would be required... nah

Huh, I never noticed that before, I don't personally own the Aoba yet however had to take a look just now. But yeah that would take a lot of laziness not to just do it.

Players
391 posts

Iunno, the prevailing theory from CBT on NA at least was that they didn't want to make the Furutaka play exactly like the Aoba (as they ended up being virtually identical post refit).

Especially since the Furutaka was added in after Aoba in the tree. 

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

Iunno, the prevailing theory from CBT on NA at least was that they didn't want to make the Furutaka play exactly like the Aoba (as they ended up being virtually identical post refit).

Especially since the Furutaka was added in after Aoba in the tree. 

I can sort of see that, however the fact of the matter is, is does play EXACTLY like the Aoba just with a different turret configuration. I can't see it making that much of a difference if they just made it look right.

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

Nope. The Germans built another cruiser named Karlsruhe a couple of years after the previous one sank:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_Karlsruhe_(1916)

Fair enough, but it's kind of weird that they didn't name it something like Konigsberg (1916) because it's a Konigberg class not another Karlsruhe class, which is where the confusion lies....

Beta Tester
447 posts
844 battles

Fair enough, but it's kind of weird that they didn't name it something like Konigsberg (1916) because it's a Konigberg class not another Karlsruhe class, which is where the confusion lies....

Germans reused names quite often, as you know, that there was another Königsberg class later.

It seems that once a ship was sunk or decomissioned, its' name could be given to another ship. The Königsberg class cruisers of 1916 were named Königsberg, Karlsruhe, Nürnberg and Emden... and all ships are already ingame with other ship classes.

I guess they took the Karlsruhe in this case, as the class name "Königsberg" would confuse players even more, especially since there would be Königsberg at T4 and T5...

Edited by typhaon

[SCRUB]
Players
2,393 posts
7,746 battles

"Google" karlsruhe review and also konigsberg review by "Kenliero" from youtube and there everything related to these 2 ships are explained. There is so much wrong information in this thread...

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,611 posts
807 battles

The final setup was identical in every way to that on the Aoba.

Which is exactly why the Furutaka doesn't get the double turrets, it'd be as near as makes no difference an Aoba at tier V.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,552 battles

It's a question that has been asked more than once in regards to Karlsruhe. They could have avoided all this if they had used the Cöln-class instead, which was exceptionally similar to the Königsberg(1916)-class. As such it could easily have been almost the same in game terms (the main difference would be the extra set of double torpedo launchers, not a huge difference, nor anything that would make her OP) but had a name that wouldn't confuse.

Beta Tester
30 posts
6,145 battles

Germans reused names quite often, as you know, that there was another Königsberg class later.

It seems that once a ship was sunk or decomissioned, its' name could be given to another ship. The Königsberg class cruisers of 1916 were named Königsberg, Karlsruhe, Nürnberg and Emden... and all ships are already ingame with other ship classes.

I guess they took the Karlsruhe in this case, as the class name "Königsberg" would confuse players even more, especially since there would be Königsberg at T4 and T5...

Yeah I guess that makes sense as to why they didn't have two Konigsbergs, however as the below states, they could have chosen a different class with minimal difference such as the Coln-class cruiser.

It's a question that has been asked more than once in regards to Karlsruhe. They could have avoided all this if they had used the Cöln-class instead, which was exceptionally similar to the Königsberg(1916)-class. As such it could easily have been almost the same in game terms (the main difference would be the extra set of double torpedo launchers, not a huge difference, nor anything that would make her OP) but had a name that wouldn't confuse.

Yeah it wouldn't be OP in the slightest to have an extra set of torps, in fact it would only be beneficial overall as the torpedo armament on the current cruiser is very underwhelming in comparison to other ships of this tier.

Which is exactly why the Furutaka doesn't get the double turrets, it'd be as near as makes no difference an Aoba at tier V.

Fair enough, but if they are gonna do something they might as well model it right. Honestly if the Furutaka got it's proper turret layout post-Refit I wouldn't have any problems and I'm sure a large number of the player base wouldn't either.

"Google" karlsruhe review and also konigsberg review by "Kenliero" from youtube and there everything related to these 2 ships are explained. There is so much wrong information in this thread...

For one, don't self promote on my threads. For two, if you are gonna tell me I am wrong, at least have the decency to explain how and in what ways I am wrong.

Did the Pillau come with extra cardamon seeds?

Reference I'm not getting?

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,611 posts
807 battles

Fair enough, but if they are gonna do something they might as well model it right. Honestly if the Furutaka got it's proper turret layout post-Refit I wouldn't have any problems and I'm sure a large number of the player base wouldn't either.

They did model it right though, just not fully upgraded.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,943 battles

the Karlsruhe is a Königsberg class cruiser (not the Königsberg sitting at Tier 5)

because of double names it is named Karlsruhe