Sign in to follow this  
Seargent_Nigel

Best set up for KamikazeR ?

4 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
Community Contributor
243 posts
9,424 battles

My opinion so far - others may differ and it'll be interesting to see the debate:

Modules -

Slot 1: Between Main Battery 1 (reduced chance of an insta-death from a magazine explosion) and Torpedo Tubes mod.1 (less chance of losing your main weapons).  I lean slightly towards the main battery mod on the basis that exploding from a fluke hit is worse than having to back off for a bit to fix the torpedoes.

Slot 2: Very debatable.  Fire Control 1 is the usual choice, since it slices about 10% off the dispersion with no downside.  Main battery 2 improves the traverse speed and makes it easier to keep guns on target, especially since any situation that involves Kami firing her guns also involve her evading all over the place in an effort to dodge return fire.  However, it slows the fire rate of the guns by about 10% and Japanese guns aren't fast at the best of times. The torp mod is less useful since the twin tubes are fast enough for anything but the most rushed of snapshots

Slot 3: This depends on your commander.  If you have last stand, then fit Damage control mod.1 to help prevent fires and flooding.  Otherwise fit Propulsion mod.1 because losing your engine in a destroyer is bad.  Really, really bad.  Admittedly, losing rudder control is almost as bad...but if you can't move then you can't steer anyway, so losing the engine is worse.

As for Commander skills:

Tier 1: Situational Awareness is a must-have.  The best defence an IJN destroyer has is not being seen.  SA lets you know when you're relatively safe and when you've slipped up several seconds before the enemy informs you via artillery...and those precious few seconds are what you need to, if nothing else, start evading the inevitable incoming fire.  Besides SA, Basic Fire Training is an unremarkable but effective boost to the main guns.  Basics of Survivability is a bit more debatable, since the normal response to a fire is to get it out immediately - not so much because of the damage, but because it compromises your stealth..but if damage control is on cooldown then every little helps.

Tier 2: Last Stand.  This used to be a Tier 5 skill, which gives you some idea of how useful it is.  Last Stand turns engine and rudder hits, which normally completely disable the affected systems, into something like a 20% penalty so you can still manoeuvre.  You'll still want the damage fixed fast, but Last Stand means these hits aren't the 30 seconds of buttclenching they used to be.  Again, this is a must-have.  After that, look at Torpedo Armament Expertise (cutting torpedo reload from 46s to 41.5s) and Expert Marksman, adding roughly a third to the gun traverse rate.  Fire Prevention is a low priority - as noted above, a DD's best defence is not being seen and shot at in the first place.  Incoming Fire Alert is dubious at best - if your SA alert is going off then I assume that there are rounds coming my way regardless and any shell that takes more than 6 seconds to reach an evading destroyer is usually relying on luck to hit.

Tier 3: My personal preference here is for Superintendent, giving an extra charge to both the smoke generator and the engine boost.  The other skill that often gets cited is Torpedo acceleration, which switches the torpedoes from 7km range at 68 knots to 5.6km at 73.  I'm not sold on it.  Kamikaze has a detection of 6km and that extra 1,400m of range on the slower (hahahaha)  is the difference between being able to stealthily launch torpedoes without too much trouble and virtually guaranteeing detection every time you try to take a shot, meaning that (1) you're exposed to incoming fire and (2) a smart enemy will turn into you  immediately to both ruin a torpedo shot and make it harder for you to break contact, rather than when they pick up the torpedoes at close range.  And 68 knots is fast enough that at Tier V, most ships won't have time to get out of the way if seeing the torps is all the warning they get.

Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training, boosting gun range to around 9.1km.  Not that useful on its own (unless you can use someone else's spotting to fire over cover) but turns into a very nasty combo when you mix it with...

Tier 5: Concealment Expert.  This drops Kami's detection radius by another 10% or so, which doesn't sound like much, but it means that her detection radius when firing the main guns is 8.4km against a max range with AFT of 9.1km.  That gives you a 700m window (yes, narrow as anything, I know) in which you can fire the main guns without revealing more than your approximate location.

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

My opinion so far - others may differ and it'll be interesting to see the debate:

Modules -

Slot 1: Between Main Battery 1 (reduced chance of an insta-death from a magazine explosion) and Torpedo Tubes mod.1 (less chance of losing your main weapons).  I lean slightly towards the main battery mod on the basis that exploding from a fluke hit is worse than having to back off for a bit to fix the torpedoes.

Slot 2: Very debatable.  Fire Control 1 is the usual choice, since it slices about 10% off the dispersion with no downside.  Main battery 2 improves the traverse speed and makes it easier to keep guns on target, especially since any situation that involves Kami firing her guns also involve her evading all over the place in an effort to dodge return fire.  However, it slows the fire rate of the guns by about 10% and Japanese guns aren't fast at the best of times. The torp mod is less useful since the twin tubes are fast enough for anything but the most rushed of snapshots

Slot 3: This depends on your commander.  If you have last stand, then fit Damage control mod.1 to help prevent fires and flooding.  Otherwise fit Propulsion mod.1 because losing your engine in a destroyer is bad.  Really, really bad.  Admittedly, losing rudder control is almost as bad...but if you can't move then you can't steer anyway, so losing the engine is worse.

As for Commander skills:

Tier 1: Situational Awareness is a must-have.  The best defence an IJN destroyer has is not being seen.  SA lets you know when you're relatively safe and when you've slipped up several seconds before the enemy informs you via artillery...and those precious few seconds are what you need to, if nothing else, start evading the inevitable incoming fire.  Besides SA, Basic Fire Training is an unremarkable but effective boost to the main guns.  Basics of Survivability is a bit more debatable, since the normal response to a fire is to get it out immediately - not so much because of the damage, but because it compromises your stealth..but if damage control is on cooldown then every little helps.

Tier 2: Last Stand.  This used to be a Tier 5 skill, which gives you some idea of how useful it is.  Last Stand turns engine and rudder hits, which normally completely disable the affected systems, into something like a 20% penalty so you can still manoeuvre.  You'll still want the damage fixed fast, but Last Stand means these hits aren't the 30 seconds of buttclenching they used to be.  Again, this is a must-have.  After that, look at Torpedo Armament Expertise (cutting torpedo reload from 46s to 41.5s) and Expert Marksman, adding roughly a third to the gun traverse rate.  Fire Prevention is a low priority - as noted above, a DD's best defence is not being seen and shot at in the first place.  Incoming Fire Alert is dubious at best - if your SA alert is going off then I assume that there are rounds coming my way regardless and any shell that takes more than 6 seconds to reach an evading destroyer is usually relying on luck to hit.

Tier 3: My personal preference here is for Superintendent, giving an extra charge to both the smoke generator and the engine boost.  The other skill that often gets cited is Torpedo acceleration, which switches the torpedoes from 7km range at 68 knots to 5.6km at 73.  I'm not sold on it.  Kamikaze has a detection of 6km and that extra 1,400m of range on the slower (hahahaha)  is the difference between being able to stealthily launch torpedoes without too much trouble and virtually guaranteeing detection every time you try to take a shot, meaning that (1) you're exposed to incoming fire and (2) a smart enemy will turn into you  immediately to both ruin a torpedo shot and make it harder for you to break contact, rather than when they pick up the torpedoes at close range.  And 68 knots is fast enough that at Tier V, most ships won't have time to get out of the way if seeing the torps is all the warning they get.

Tier 4: Advanced Firing Training, boosting gun range to around 9.1km.  Not that useful on its own (unless you can use someone else's spotting to fire over cover) but turns into a very nasty combo when you mix it with...

Tier 5: Concealment Expert.  This drops Kami's detection radius by another 10% or so, which doesn't sound like much, but it means that her detection radius when firing the main guns is 8.4km against a max range with AFT of 9.1km.  That gives you a 700m window (yes, narrow as anything, I know) in which you can fire the main guns without revealing more than your approximate location.

Good stuff!

My Minekaze / Kamikaze R captain looks like this:

mine-kaminfum3.jpg

:honoring:

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,403 posts
20,165 battles

Good stuff!

My Minekaze / Kamikaze R captain looks like this:

mine-kaminfum3.jpg

:honoring: