Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tsubaki200

New to game, need JP :3

10 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
316 battles

Hi guys, i'm new, can someone tell me which JP ships SHOULD i take above the others while i'm ranking up my tiers?

And what can you tell me about the Commander? How it works? It share the skills with the others ships or every ship have a different commander?

Beta Tester
300 posts
5,980 battles

Well for anyone to give you any suggestions on what ships you should try, or grind, you should first tell us some information about you, like what is your playstyle - do you like brawling, or sniping from long range, or being a ninja killer that ambushes ships? :)  What are you looking for in a ship? Do you have a particular favourite one? What are your credit card details? Do you prefer a specific nation, or you are looking for the best ship in it's type?

I suggest you go on youtube and see some videos and guides, you will find a lot of information there on almost anything regarding the game - from basic guides to advanced tactics for maximising ship performance and team strategies.

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
5,468 battles

Each ship gets a commander. The commander can gain XP and earn skill points. You spend those points on commander skills to make your ship better. When you buy a new ship, you can use the previous commander on it but you have to retrain the commander (you don't have to if you spend some doubloons). It's not recommended to use 1 commander for all your ships (note that each commander only works for the nation he's from, but you can use him for any class of ships). Only transfer the commander when you're ready to sell the ship and buy the next one. Premium ships can use any commander (from their nation) without having to retrain so you can use premiums to train your commander.

If you're asking about what Japanese ships you should play, they're generally all pretty good. They can be a little bit harder to play at lower tiers because they focus less on guns and more on torpedoes. If you decide to play battleships, then you should know that the first one you can buy is a little bit underwhelming but they are not representative of their class. By the time when you reach tier 4, which is where the fun begins, all Japanese ships are more or so pretty good especially the cruiser Kuma and destroyer Isokaze. 

Advice from me, stay away from carriers if you're knew to the game until you get a little it more familiar with it.

I hope that helps. Enjoy the game.

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

All four Japanese lines are considered competitive at most tiers. You have to decide based on which playstyle you like most. Since you'll tier up very quickly early on, I'd just play everything to tier 4-5 and decide then.

You get a good sense of what the battleships are like with the Kongo at 5, cruisers with Kuma at 4, destroyers with Isokaze at 4.

[DSW]
Players
3,787 posts
7,737 battles

All four Japanese lines are considered competitive at most tiers. You have to decide based on which playstyle you like most. Since you'll tier up very quickly early on, I'd just play everything to tier 4-5 and decide then.

You get a good sense of what the battleships are like with the Kongo at 5, cruisers with Kuma at 4, destroyers with Isokaze at 4.

mh Kuma has little in common with the later ships (vastly different guns to begin with)... if anything, Aoba is where you get into the playstyle and setup of the later ones, while Furutaka is still a bit hit and miss... other than that I agree! Although even the Umikaze shows off the IJN Destroyer playstyle pretty well already :)

Beta Tester
2,119 posts
4,874 battles

mh Kuma has little in common with the later ships (vastly different guns to begin with)... if anything, Aoba is where you get into the playstyle and setup of the later ones, while Furutaka is still a bit hit and miss... other than that I agree! Although even the Umikaze shows off the IJN Destroyer playstyle pretty well already :)

Dunno. I mean, yes, the ship is very different from the heavy cruisers later. But compared to ships in its own tier, I think the gameplay is kind of similar.

You get a squishy ship with all right guns, good concealment and torpedoes. I don't think it's a completely different experience.

[DSW]
Players
3,787 posts
7,737 battles

Dunno. I mean, yes, the ship is very different from the heavy cruisers later. But compared to ships in its own tier, I think the gameplay is kind of similar.

You get a squishy ship with all right guns, good concealment and torpedoes. I don't think it's a completely different experience.

yeah maybe... dunno to me the IJN line felt like the one with the most radical break in it, of all the lines no matter the class pretty much... well except maybe the German cruisers with Dresden/Kolberg (machine guns) vs Königsberg/Nürnberg (rapid fire squishy AP snipers) vs. Hipper/Roon/Hindenburg (sturdy long-range rapid fire AP monsters), with The Two Turds Karlsruhe and Yorck being good at nothing in between...

Beta Tester
1,649 posts
6,477 battles

Hi guys, i'm new, can someone tell me which JP ships SHOULD i take above the others while i'm ranking up my tiers?

And what can you tell me about the Commander? How it works? It share the skills with the others ships or every ship have a different commander?

If you want to go Japanese, I suggest in this order of preference Destroyers, Battleships, Cruisers, Carriers. Of course, you can grind all at the same time, I did. There will be only one truly horrible ship, which is the Kawachi tier 3 battleship. In general, Japanese destroyers are amazing, Japanese battleships are very solid, Japanese cruisers require skill to play but can be pretty good, Japanese carriers are very solid, but don't become a carrier only jerk. This game is not about them.

The single, most important skill when playing battleships and cruisers is accurate gunnery. You need to lead you target correctly and hit consistently. This requires practice and a decent reticle (find one in Aslain's modpack). At the very least, the reticle needs to be long enough for larger leads at long distances, and thin enough for you to be able to put it on the waterline of your target.

For playing destroyers, it is important to use the minimal mod (again Aslain's modpack) that draws the spotting distance on the map. The circle shows how close you can get to a target without being seen. This way you can keep distance to the enemy and use your torpedoes to sink them.

yeah maybe... dunno to me the IJN line felt like the one with the most radical break in it, of all the lines no matter the class pretty much... well except maybe the German cruisers with Dresden/Kolberg (machine guns) vs Königsberg/Nürnberg (rapid fire squishy AP snipers) vs. Hipper/Roon/Hindenburg (sturdy long-range rapid fire AP monsters), with The Two Turds Karlsruhe and Yorck being good at nothing in between...

Please, the Yorck is a very good ship.

Good luck, and learn to hit!

[SCRUB]
Players
2,384 posts
7,746 battles

I have played all ship trees and have 46 ships in my port.

I recommend you to try Japanese Cruisers first, because it is most "noobiefriendly" class, after that you can switch to anything you like, once you are more familiar with the game mechanics.

There are a lot of good guides to gameplay. I will put few here and also provide link to my own youtube channel, where I have made guides to specific ships, so that before getting a ship, you can check how to play it, in advance.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kenliero

Use these search words in youtube to find more important info: "wargaming europe naval academy"

Players
3,572 posts
7,334 battles

In general you can't go wrong with IJN ships regardless of type. Only mentioned Kawachi is one hell of a turd to survive, Furutaka due to playstyle change can be also hit and miss sometimes. From hightiers I've heard Izumo is at least tricky, Mogami post nerfs can be lackluster too.

Highlights of IJN tree are certainly Isokaze, Minekaze, Kuma, Aoba, Kongo, Fuso (if you can live with that turret layout)

Sign in to follow this