You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Shagulon

Very expensive seemingly pointless upgrades

22 comments in this topic

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,162 battles

I'm looking at hull C on the Iowa (gives nothing it seems and costs 5 000 000 credits), or hull C on the Kagero (gain 5 AA and lose a turret for 2 400 000 credits).

Does anyone get these? Were they different before and have been rebalanced, but people forgot to amend the costs or something.... There are quite a few of these pointless upgrades in the game.

WG any chance you can have a review of some of these pointless expensive upgrades?

Beta Tester
33 posts
10,962 battles

On Iowa you get a slightly bit more AA and most importantly alot better rudder shift time.

As for the destroyer you have many who can pick between better AA and more artillery. Usually you dont use your guns on japanese DDs that much and better AA can help getting rid of the Squad spotting you, though with the amount of CV in game atm its not worth it at all.

Players
3,545 posts
7,307 battles

I'm looking at hull C on the Iowa (gives nothing it seems and costs 5 000 000 credits), or hull C on the Kagero (gain 5 AA and lose a turret for 2 400 000 credits).

Does anyone get these? Were they different before and have been rebalanced, but people forgot to amend the costs or something.... There are quite a few of these pointless upgrades in the game.

WG any chance you can have a review of some of these pointless expensive upgrades?

That is called "paywall" or "grindwall" if you want, simply to slow down player progress.

If you think its bad, go check War Thunder:rolleyes:

Alpha Tester
658 posts

this reason i not buy the C hull on my amagi ,i look the izumo and continue this to only just 1 module buy and why.
easy answer not worth ith  and too expensive.
2 reason
1.give more AA this ok but uselesess ,the HE spam very soon destroy your AA so cant use that + AA then give the new hull.

2.the price is too expensive and the cirrent economy in high tier is minimal profit so again not worth it

[EIRE]
[EIRE]
Beta Tester
326 posts
19,162 battles

Hull C on the Iowa improves ruddershift. Well worth the money. Ive got it and never looked back

Ah I see that now. It doesn't say it give rudder shift time in the pop up description, but it does in the sidebar when you open them. That tooltip could be better....

OK maybe I do get something for my 5 million, still maybe a bit expensive though.

[DSW]
Players
3,772 posts
7,712 battles

Ah I see that now. It doesn't say it give rudder shift time in the pop up description, but it does in the sidebar when you open them. That tooltip could be better....

OK maybe I do get something for my 5 million, still maybe a bit expensive though.

skipping B and going straight for C is the way to go, both on Iowa and Izumo (and on several other ships as well actually...)

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

The only useless upgrades in the game are the 1 knot torpedo speed ugprade for the Gnevny (or was it Ognevoi?) and the AA hulls for the American DDs.

All other upgrades provide clear advantages, although some of them may only reveal themselves if you check the detailed statistics.

this reason i not buy the C hull on my amagi ,i look the izumo and continue this to only just 1 module buy and why.
easy answer not worth ith  and too expensive.

You cannot get the range module on the Amagi without the C-Hull, which means you are stuck with 18,1 KM range if you don't get it.

[TTT]
Players
1,952 posts
6,062 battles

The C hull on the Kagero isnt  worth it. Small caliber AA was also nerfed last patch making the additionl AA you get even less effective.

Beta Tester
9 posts
1,023 battles

On Iowa you get a slightly bit more AA and most importantly alot better rudder shift time.

As for the destroyer you have many who can pick between better AA and more artillery. Usually you dont use your guns on japanese DDs that much and better AA can help getting rid of the Squad spotting you, though with the amount of CV in game atm its not worth it at all.

The destroyer advise is really-really wrong. Japanese destroyers uses their guns frequently, loosing 1 of the 3 is a big disadvantage. AA is very bad on all DD's, it doesnt matter if it gets +5 or not, 90% of the time its turned off to prevent spotting by aircrafts. So, dont buy Kagero hull C, you will get a much weaker ship for 2 million money.

[CATS]
Players
14,613 posts
10,857 battles

I did not buy the C-hull on my Fubuki either. Costs me some HP, but I prever the extra turret.

And I never got the 15 km torpedos, they seem pointless.

Yes, they are moduls that are not worth the money, but they are few.

Beta Tester
847 posts

I also do not use the Fubuki AA upgrade. The point is, you can not solve the plane spotting problem with it, unless the planes spot you really very long and there is no point for the enemy CV captain in it, if there are no enemy cruisers around. So between the kind of useless AA and the kind of useless gun turret, I go for the gun turret, because that is some extra bucket in a dd duel you may come into. And if only against other IJN DDs. 

Players
720 posts
8,665 battles

The only useless upgrades in the game are the 1 knot torpedo speed ugprade for the Gnevny (or was it Ognevoi?) and the AA hulls for the American DDs.

All other upgrades provide clear advantages, although some of them may only reveal themselves if you check the detailed statistics.

It's the Gnevny. I still go back and check that one every now and then to see if it was an error.

Although someone on Reddit did claim that it makes a noticeable difference  :sceptic:

Edited by LetsRockAndRoll

Beta Tester
78 posts

The thing that irritates me is the cost of modules in general.  A tier 9 fully upgraded is more expensive than a tier 10 ship. Compared to wot this game is bloody expensive creditwise. Imagine paying 1.5 mil credits for the last gun of the e75. I have no problem with credits in wot but I struggle with it in wows. Even have to sell ship's to afford upgrades and new ships and that is something I don't do in wot.

Players
211 posts
3,823 battles

I don't understand you guys. Ok, it's really expensive but i play at the same time: cleve, pensa, n-o, balti, nurnberg, koenigg, kamikaze, genwy, minekaze and i get at least an average of 100k credits.

So 5M only takes me 30 to 50 games.

• Cool 1

Players
1,873 posts
2,442 battles

The destroyer advise is really-really wrong. Japanese destroyers uses their guns frequently, loosing 1 of the 3 is a big disadvantage. AA is very bad on all DD's, it doesnt matter if it gets +5 or not, 90% of the time its turned off to prevent spotting by aircrafts. So, dont buy Kagero hull C, you will get a much weaker ship for 2 million money.

I also do not use the Fubuki AA upgrade. The point is, you can not solve the plane spotting problem with it, unless the planes spot you really very long and there is no point for the enemy CV captain in it, if there are no enemy cruisers around. So between the kind of useless AA and the kind of useless gun turret, I go for the gun turret, because that is some extra bucket in a dd duel you may come into. And if only against other IJN DDs. 

when I play as a CV I reqally love DD players like you guys, you have no idea how much planes you are saving me - especially when not turning AA on with fighter planes circling just above your heads.....

PS. it may be tiering differences but fubuki C  hulls are killing my ryujo fighters postting them way faster than I'd like to - and if not a full minute of AAA firing is "being spotted for really very long" then I assume you prefer being spotted as long as it will take enemy CV to chase off my fighters from above your head or you to die :P

[but then again it could be tier difference thing - who knows maybe t8 fighters are just exremely more resilient than t6 ones.....

Beta Tester
847 posts

when I play as a CV I reqally love DD players like you guys, you have no idea how much planes you are saving me - especially when not turning AA on with fighter planes circling just above your heads.....

Nope. I am N00b. I have no idea how much trouble I save the player of an extinct high tier class, when I focus against the class everybody is whining about right now. 

Maybe you could enlighten me with your Essex and Midway carrier knowledge. So, what`s the deal ? How does it shift the game in my favour ? Especially since you have so many planes how does it affect you ?

Edited by N00b32

Players
3,545 posts
7,307 battles

The thing that irritates me is the cost of modules in general.  A tier 9 fully upgraded is more expensive than a tier 10 ship. Compared to wot this game is bloody expensive creditwise. Imagine paying 1.5 mil credits for the last gun of the e75. I have no problem with credits in wot but I struggle with it in wows. Even have to sell ship's to afford upgrades and new ships and that is something I don't do in wot.

If WoT with its grind is so popular, why not tighten the grind screw some more? Add some nuts price tags for upgrades, modules, repairs and watch money flowing from premium... or population drop.

I don't understand you guys. Ok, it's really expensive but i play at the same time: cleve, pensa, n-o, balti, nurnberg, koenigg, kamikaze, genwy, minekaze and i get at least an average of 100k credits.

So 5M only takes me 30 to 50 games.

Comparing to WoT ships have ridiculously expensive upgrades - in tanks top tier cannon costs about 300k credits, or mostly equivalent of tier 5 tank. Here top hull upgrade for battleship can cost as much as whole tier 7 ship

Players
1,873 posts
2,442 battles

Nope. I am N00b. I have no idea how much trouble I save the player of an extinct high tier class, when I focus against the class everybody is whining about right now. 

Maybe you could enlighten me with your Essex and Midway carrier knowledge. So, what`s the deal ? How does it shift the game in my favour ? Especially since you have so many planes how does it affect you ?

PS. it may be tiering differences but fubuki C  hulls are killing my ryujo fighters postting them way faster than I'd like to

read the full post before you reply please? [note I just noticed a typo should be spotting]

point stays - IJN high tier DD's have really good AAA especially considering their own sizes and as a player who played on the both sides of the barricade [both as IJN DD and CV] players underestimating it or even better- having it turned off even with hostile aircraft just above his head is ignoring one of big points about your ship.

Also CV that run out of planes is useless hull, and guess what - if all the players behaved like you "Essex and midway have so much planes I can just turn my AA off as it won't bother them" they surely won't run out of them - but with cooperation and combined efforts even those two can and will lost all their stock if they won't be really carefull

Beta Tester
9 posts
1,023 battles

PS. it may be tiering differences but fubuki C  hulls are killing my ryujo fighters postting them way faster than I'd like to - and if not a full minute of AAA firing is "being spotted for really very long" then I assume you prefer being spotted as long as it will take enemy CV to chase off my fighters from above your head or you to die :P

[but then again it could be tier difference thing - who knows maybe t8 fighters are just exremely more resilient than t6 ones.....

Like me? I said its turned off untill some plane dont spot me, after it i turn it on, I dont know  where did you see that I wrote to turn it off all the time. 1 gun is much more better than a little stronger AA which you use only when a plane is closer than the 3.5 km spot range.

Beta Tester
78 posts
5,771 battles

To return to the original point of this topic, the Khabarovsk torpedo 'upgrade' seems utterly useless. Even the game itself admits it's a downgrade. At tier X you really want to get to within 6km of your target before being able to fire torps.

shot-16.02.28_21.48.40-0001.jpg