Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kazomir

Just for fun: Shimakaze with Zao torps.

29 comments in this topic

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

What would happen?

On one hand, you end stealthy torp walls.

On the other, you now have a really fast ship with twice as fast torpedoes, which, if it ambushes or rushes you down, will annihilate you, but it has to get past its detection range.

[OMNI]
Players
341 posts
7,605 battles

Zao torps have 8km range. It will still be able to stealth torp. Although torps having shorter range are far more manageable for the enemy team.

Players
453 posts

I'd say it's too much of a nerf to the Shima. We all know they might be a little... too much... right now... but that might be too much of a swing in the other direction.

• Cool 1

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

I'd say it's too much of a nerf to the Shima. We all know they might be a little... too much... right now... but that might be too much of a swing in the other direction.

Zao's torps are deadly. VERY quick and also deal a ton of damage.

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

What would happen?

On one hand, you end stealthy torp walls.

On the other, you now have a really fast ship with twice as fast torpedoes, which, if it ambushes or rushes you down, will annihilate you, but it has to get past its detection range.

Uhm why you want to turn Shima in Kharbarovsk without giving it comparable guns? 

The problem with Shimakaze is not even the torp wall, it's the utter lack of tactical insight / willingness of people to do their job in randoms. The only time you simply can not counter a shima is when you have no friendly DD's to screen and light them up and/or no cv to spot him till he is dead. 

I lost a game today where a friendly full HP Shimakaze just hid behind my cruiser... for some reason I don't understand. And I lost a game where we had a DD deficit against amongst others a 2xshima+gearing division. We could have won if you last alive DD ( kageroo ) wasn't as stupid to think he could cap instead of light up the enemy DD's ( my dd, Fubuki, was already dead.. after having done 126k + in damage and having run interference and scouting runs whole game. 

Both situations might have gone totally different if random people were not.. uhm random people ;)

• Cool 2

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Uhm why you want to turn Shima in Kharbarovsk without giving it comparable guns? 

The problem with Shimakaze is not even the torp wall, it's the utter lack of tactical insight / willingness of people to do their job in randoms. The only time you simply can not counter a shima is when you have no friendly DD's to screen and light them up and/or no cv to spot him till he is dead. 

I lost a game today where a friendly full HP Shimakaze just hid behind my cruiser... for some reason I don't understand. And I lost a game where we had a DD deficit against amongst others a 2xshima+gearing division. We could have won if you last alive DD ( kageroo ) wasn't as stupid to think he could cap instead of light up the enemy DD's ( my dd, Fubuki, was already dead.. after having done 126k + in damage and having run interference and scouting runs whole game. 

Both situations might have gone totally different if random people were not.. uhm random people ;)

Khabarovsk with +/- 2km torp range, but with 5 more torps per salvo and 20 more kts on these torps, also they do 2-6k more damage. Then again, she might stand to receive a bit of gun turret turn rate buff if that were teh case.

Its not a serious suggestion, but I would like to see it as an option :). Might be for shimas that like to sneak in close.

Players
373 posts
795 battles

zao torps max speed is 76 knts why not be brave and take the torps speed skill and get the 81knts with 6.5km range

Quality Poster
3,281 posts
8,375 battles

I' m looking actually forward to it. Remember when they took away minekazes 10km torps? Some were pretty ... sad, that they now have to move closer. And iirc, the average DMG of the minekaze went up! And now everybody loves (or fears, depending which side you are on) those fast death strikes.

Of course at T10 it will be different with Radar and more fearsome DD Hunters, but like at T5: High risk, high reward.

Greetings

Players
720 posts
8,665 battles

I' m looking actually forward to it. Remember when they took away minekazes 10km torps? Some were pretty ... sad, that they now have to move closer. And iirc, the average DMG of the minekaze went up! And now everybody loves (or fears, depending which side you are on) those fast death strikes.

Of course at T10 it will be different with Radar and more fearsome DD Hunters, but like at T5: High risk, high reward.

Greetings

This ^^. But I'll be using Kagero. 5.4km detection and very fast 8km torps will be a lot of fun.

Quality Poster
3,281 posts
8,375 battles

This ^^. But I'll be using Kagero. 5.4km detection and very fast 8km torps will be a lot of fun.

I'm still at the Fubuki, but she will also get some different upgrades. So, yay!

Greetings

Players
1,428 posts

zao torps max speed is 76 knts why not be brave and take the torps speed skill and get the 81knts with 6.5km range

​I'm not at the Shima yet, But I was thinking about this option. With 6.5 KM it can still stealth torp. I'm only worried about the Radar thing in combination with these torps. But I will certainly try it, to make it work.  For me it seems like much more exiting as the steath torps from 20 KM.

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

yeah looking forward to it as well, and if that happens as it looks to right now that'll probably be my reason to actually upgrade to Kagero which I didn't have that much motivation to do until now...

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Radar.

Shimas can spot radar borne ships way in advance and act accordingly. Also dissapointed nobody realised i predicted this 2 months in advance.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

Shimas can spot radar borne ships way in advance and act accordingly. Also dissapointed nobody realised i predicted this 2 months in advance.

DM has a 10,6km detection range maxed out. It's radar will see anything inside 9,9km.

how many seconds(or tenths) do you think a shima has to react before he's spotted and eats 12 shells every 6 seconds?

[TTT]
Players
1,841 posts
7,390 battles

DM has a 10,6km detection range maxed out. It's radar will see anything inside 9,9km.

how many seconds(or tenths) do you think a shima has to react before he's spotted and eats 12 shells every 6 seconds?

Please send me a replay where a Des Moines gets reliable hits on a DD 10 kilometers away and where the DD isn't sailing in a straight line:popcorn:.

[DSW]
Players
3,785 posts
7,726 battles

Please send me a replay where a Des Moines gets reliable hits on a DD 10 kilometers away and where the DD isn't sailing in a straight line:popcorn:.

or even happens to pop Radar the very instant he gets spotted (which by the way would be a good thing for said Shima because neither he nor his teammates will have their guns pointed and ready...)

Players
790 posts
2,278 battles

It could be really hard to shoot 12 shells every 6s with 9 guns. 
  • Cool 2

Beta Tester
206 posts
7,325 battles

or even happens to pop Radar the very instant he gets spotted (which by the way would be a good thing for said Shima because neither he nor his teammates will have their guns pointed and ready...)

... and would be a  - well not totally stupid, but sub-optimal timing to trigger the radar immediatly when you expect a DD to be just within range. Instead you will want to let him come a little closer. You have to expect that he will turn around and run away from you once radar is active, which will require you to chase him with just your front turrets able to pepper him.

Well, with the radar you at least have such a margin to play with, much more difficult with the sonar (currently testing the Roon DD hunter).

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

So you really think its hard for Des Moines players to hit a moving target at only 10km distance?

The distance at which the Des Moines absolutely reigns supreme on pretty much any ship in the game? 

DD players dont know what awaits them in the shadows and when they find out, its all too late...

Edited by GeneralRushHour

[TTT]
Players
1,841 posts
7,390 battles

So you really think its hard for Des Moines players to hit a moving target at only 10km distance?

The distance at which the Des Moines absolutely reigns supreme on pretty much any ship in the game? 

DD players dont know what awaits them in the shadows and when they find out, its all too late...

Even if a Des Moines can pepper most targets quite effectively at 10km, a DD is too small and can maneuver too quickly to get killed by it at that kind of range. Especially because of the rather slow shell speed of most USN ships.

Beta Tester
121 posts
5,351 battles

:). Might be for shimas that like to sneak in close.

I'd say that's what  "Torpedo acceleration" is for.

And I imagine as soon as you see CVs in every game again it would be quite difficult for a Shima.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

Even if a Des Moines can pepper most targets quite effectively at 10km, a DD is too small and can maneuver too quickly to get killed by it at that kind of range. Especially because of the rather slow shell speed of most USN ships.

The reality is you'll melt away like butter in the sun. 

Play the Des Moines and you'll see for yourself.

Sign in to follow this