You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
WebSpawn

HE hell in Battleships

19 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

So lately I've started playing again, and whilst I'm nowhere near my old level I do feel like I can hold my own in any class. Get some kills, sail around and have fun.

Barring ofcourse, like the name of the thread implies, the supposedly mightiest of the seas. The BB. And it just so happens they are next on the list to Tier up, I'm at Tier V currently (Kongo, New York, I also own a Warspite) I don't know what's up, but I always get raped by fire. Ofcourse one can repair, but then the odd torpedo comes along and ruins your day. And if you don't? Extra crispy!

Ofcourse that wouldn't be all that bad If you could at least sink the pests. But no matter what I do, I never seem to get more than 4 hits out of all the available shells. I don't even notice a difference between full salvo's, single shot or sequential fire. They go long, they go short. Obviously it takes a while to get back into the swing of things, but I don't remember this happening the last time I was really into the game. And when I'm driving a CC and I try to burn some Battleships I get pounded into oblivion.

Can you offer any advice to a frustrated player?

Edited by WebSpawn

[CATS]
Players
14,751 posts
10,885 battles

Your ships are new. Do you have all upgrades?

Having all upgrades helps a lot.

My guess is you are driving too aggressive.

Be more careful, learn when to go in and when to stay back and it sounds like you need more practice at shooting.

Players
1,458 posts
2,640 battles

Hmmm, I set up a lot of fires every time I play. Yet, Interestingly enough, they do little to no damage at all.

8 fires set in a game today. Most of them on BBs. Fire damage done? 3k.

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

If you only have 1 fire - let it burn and turn away from enemy, you can heal most fire damage with repair party.

If you have 2 or more fires on your ship - repair - but only if no torpedo bombers are going to hit you shortly after that....

Always keep an eye on map and don't get to carried away by chasing 1 particular enemy, and avoid sailing into enemy crossfire. ;)

Edited by Trigger_Happy_Dad
  • Cool 2

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

Your ships are new. Do you have all upgrades?

Having all upgrades helps a lot.

My guess is you are driving too aggressive.

Be more careful, learn when to go in and when to stay back and it sounds like you need more practice at shooting.

Working on the upgrades, I usually get all of them before I tier up.

I'm actually really conservative, maybe too careful. Games where I don't get burnt up, torped or otherwise destroyed I sometimes end up with next to no damage and maybe 8 hits. Which doesn't help with the xp gathering obviously.

The odd thing is, my shooting is actually better with the BB than (for example) the CC. They go where they need to go, most of the times, dead center of the ship instead of leading too much, or too little. They just almost always go long or short, even if my ranging was on point. Whereas on the other hand I occasionally encounter grouping that makes my jaws drop...

Players
444 posts
6,400 battles

So lately I've started playing again, and whilst I'm nowhere near my old level I do feel like I can hold my own in any class. Get some kills, sail around and have fun.

Barring ofcourse, like the name of the thread implies, the supposedly mightiest of the seas. The BB. And it just so happens they are next on the list to Tier up, I'm at Tier V currently (Kongo, New York, I also own a Warspite) I don't know what's up, but I always get raped by fire. Ofcourse one can repair, but then the odd torpedo comes along and ruins your day. And if you don't? Extra crispy!

Ofcourse that wouldn't be all that bad If you could at least sink the pests. But no matter what I do, I never seem to get more than 4 hits out of all the available shells. I don't even notice a difference between full salvo's, single shot or sequential fire. They go long, they go short. Obviously it takes a while to get back into the swing of things, but I don't remember this happening the last time I was really into the game. And when I'm driving a CC and I try to burn some Battleships I get pounded into oblivion.

serves you right  for playing the RNG lottery  XD

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,442 battles

BBs are RNG. No matter your gunnery skills, it´s the game which basically decides your success. All you can do is, give the direction where you want your shells to spread around.

DDs and CAs offer by far better accuracy. If you get wrecked in those against other BBs, try to make yourself a more difficult target. Switch speed, maneuvre, turn. Never offer your broadside to a BB, neither the one you are engaging, nor any other if it is in a range of ~12km or below. In a BB, try to support your team. Don´t go alone, don´t fall back. Try to the strenght of your BB. The New York needs to brawl, distances around 10km and below are it´s sweetspot. Angle your armor, never go broadside against another BB. The Kongo requires a little more distance, maybe between 10 and 16km, so you can maintain an angle to the enemy BB. In a BB, it´s always important to know, what DDs the enemy has, where they are, and what´s their torpedo range. If you can work out and handle all these information, and your team isn´t a complete letdown, you should usually achieve satisfying results.

• Cool 1

Players
453 posts

Fire and flooding are the bane of battleships. Keep this in mind that until very high tier flooding is always the most dangerous of the two. ALWAYS repair if you start taking flood damage, UNLESS you are about to get torpedo'ed again. In that case, wait.

Fires... one fire? Let it burn unless you'd die if you do. Two or more fires, look around you first. Are you about to be attacked by something that's going to get you flooding or more burning? If yes, hold onto repair. If no, go ahead and stop the bleeding.

Those are the rules of thumb for when you should use repair to stop fires/flooding.

One other thing about torpedos... on cruisers and battleships it's always better to take a torpedo in the mid-section. Better odds of not flooding and absorbs more torpedo damage. Destroyers, on the other hand, take _extra_ damage last I checked. DD taking torp in midsection is bad. So if you can't avoid a torpedo entirely, see if you can engineer getting hit in the midsection instead. Stern hits are particularly BAD, mind, because you might lose steering.

As for getting hits on the enemy, there are two things that help. The first is to try to aim at the waterline when you're using AP against cruisers/battleships. As a battleship you want those shells to hit engine rooms and the like, which usually sit at or under the waterline. Moreover, shots that hit the water short of the target still travel underwater some distance and can punch through the underwater section of the ship and explode inside it. Against DDs you want to use HE, but do NOT hesitate to fire AP on them, especially if you have AP loaded and are going to switch to HE. Let them have it. :)

The second thing is to understand that there are some tell-tales to how fast a ship is going, where they're going and whether they're turning. Pay attention to the ship smoke and learn how far back it goes when a ship's at full, half, etc, speed. Pay attention to whether he starts to turn (and while it comes with experience, try to get in his head... WHY is he turning is an important thing to understand because it tells you whether he's going to commit to the turn entirely or not) and learn how to adjust your aim to land hits where they'll be. And take advantage both of the minimap to see the relative directions between you and him and the ship wake behind him to see whether he's moving towards, away or parallel to you. And adjust your shot accordingly.

Once you learn these skills and get some practice, you'll be accused of being a filthy aimbotter in no time! :P

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
789 posts
1,620 battles

Working on the upgrades, I usually get all of them before I tier up.

I'm actually really conservative, maybe too careful. Games where I don't get burnt up, torped or otherwise destroyed I sometimes end up with next to no damage and maybe 8 hits. Which doesn't help with the xp gathering obviously.

The odd thing is, my shooting is actually better with the BB than (for example) the CC. They go where they need to go, most of the times, dead center of the ship instead of leading too much, or too little. They just almost always go long or short, even if my ranging was on point. Whereas on the other hand I occasionally encounter grouping that makes my jaws drop...

Well, then it seems you are maybe to careful :) But, yes, Battleships at lower tiers are notoriously inaccurate. That doesn't mean you have no say in things however, you need to aim well so that those few shells that do hit do so for maximal impact: Any cruiser up to and including tier 5 is basically one-shottable, that is, one shell hitting perfectly can kill them from full health. And even if that is rare, you should reliably be able to take away 1/3-1/2 of a cruisers health if he shows his broadside and are in reasonable range. 

Playstyle wise, you need to learn to predict how a situation will evolve and react ahead of time. If there's a risk that you'll have multiple cruisers bearing down on you without support you need to realize this early enough to avoid. And like people said, one fire,let it burn: both the HE shell damage and the fire damage are mostly healable. If it's just one or two cruisers you really shouldn't have a major problem.

As for damage output, I'm not the greatest battleship player, but I decided to start leveling the USN BB tree tonight and in the Wyoming I have something like 47k avg damage, which 

• Cool 1

Players
383 posts
13,118 battles

Premium repair party + prem. heal and Basics of Survivability skill allways on BBs

Scout plane is a life saver (against torps and DDs)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,746 posts
1,390 battles

I hardly ever have trouble with fire or flooding. You just have to suck up some damage till you're sure the engagement is over and you won't be set alight or flooded again. The emphasis being on again, because what is the point of repairing / extinguishing fire if you're going to make yourself vulnerable with no stop to it right after? A single fire can be countered with a heal. But let it first burn a bit. Repair when you think you'll have one minute of peace. Heal when there is a decent chunk to heal.

Repair when you can't afford to lose a lot of hp. Like two-three fires, engine out, flooding and fire. Flooding is actually worse than fire, IMO. But don't freak about about fires. That is minor damage and can be healed.

• Cool 2

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

this may seem very obvious but load armour piercing. when I stopped grinding BBs at the wyoming I was pissed off that I was doing nearly nothing and getting sunk contantly but eventually I realised that I was firing HE at cruiser XD. returned a few months later, stopped being a doof and turned it into an absolute monster than demolishes anything it sees

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester
17,384 posts
5,400 battles

I hardly ever have trouble with fire or flooding. You just have to suck up some damage till you're sure the engagement is over and you won't be set alight or flooded again. The emphasis being on again, because what is the point of repairing / extinguishing fire if you're going to make yourself vulnerable with no stop to it right after? A single fire can be countered with a heal. But let it first burn a bit. Repair when you think you'll have one minute of peace. Heal when there is a decent chunk to heal.

Repair when you can't afford to lose a lot of hp. Like two-three fires, engine out, flooding and fire. Flooding is actually worse than fire, IMO. But don't freak about about fires. That is minor damage and can be healed.

This. Nothing to add.

Flooding is worse than fire because it slows you down. 

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

BBs are RNG. No matter your gunnery skills, it´s the game which basically decides your success. All you can do is, give the direction where you want your shells to spread around.

DDs and CAs offer by far better accuracy. If you get wrecked in those against other BBs, try to make yourself a more difficult target. Switch speed, maneuvre, turn. Never offer your broadside to a BB, neither the one you are engaging, nor any other if it is in a range of ~12km or below. In a BB, try to support your team. Don´t go alone, don´t fall back. Try to the strenght of your BB. The New York needs to brawl, distances around 10km and below are it´s sweetspot. Angle your armor, never go broadside against another BB. The Kongo requires a little more distance, maybe between 10 and 16km, so you can maintain an angle to the enemy BB. In a BB, it´s always important to know, what DDs the enemy has, where they are, and what´s their torpedo range. If you can work out and handle all these information, and your team isn´t a complete letdown, you should usually achieve satisfying results.

I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

Fire and flooding are the bane of battleships. Keep this in mind that until very high tier flooding is always the most dangerous of the two. ALWAYS repair if you start taking flood damage, UNLESS you are about to get torpedo'ed again. In that case, wait.

Fires... one fire? Let it burn unless you'd die if you do. Two or more fires, look around you first. Are you about to be attacked by something that's going to get you flooding or more burning? If yes, hold onto repair. If no, go ahead and stop the bleeding.

Those are the rules of thumb for when you should use repair to stop fires/flooding.

One other thing about torpedos... on cruisers and battleships it's always better to take a torpedo in the mid-section. Better odds of not flooding and absorbs more torpedo damage. Destroyers, on the other hand, take _extra_ damage last I checked. DD taking torp in midsection is bad. So if you can't avoid a torpedo entirely, see if you can engineer getting hit in the midsection instead. Stern hits are particularly BAD, mind, because you might lose steering.

As for getting hits on the enemy, there are two things that help. The first is to try to aim at the waterline when you're using AP against cruisers/battleships. As a battleship you want those shells to hit engine rooms and the like, which usually sit at or under the waterline. Moreover, shots that hit the water short of the target still travel underwater some distance and can punch through the underwater section of the ship and explode inside it. Against DDs you want to use HE, but do NOT hesitate to fire AP on them, especially if you have AP loaded and are going to switch to HE. Let them have it. :)

The second thing is to understand that there are some tell-tales to how fast a ship is going, where they're going and whether they're turning. Pay attention to the ship smoke and learn how far back it goes when a ship's at full, half, etc, speed. Pay attention to whether he starts to turn (and while it comes with experience, try to get in his head... WHY is he turning is an important thing to understand because it tells you whether he's going to commit to the turn entirely or not) and learn how to adjust your aim to land hits where they'll be. And take advantage both of the minimap to see the relative directions between you and him and the ship wake behind him to see whether he's moving towards, away or parallel to you. And adjust your shot accordingly.

Once you learn these skills and get some practice, you'll be accused of being a filthy aimbotter in no time! :P

Thanks for the tips! I will try and put it into practice. Maybe we could play a game sometime? You look like you know your stuff :)

Well, then it seems you are maybe to careful :) But, yes, Battleships at lower tiers are notoriously inaccurate. That doesn't mean you have no say in things however, you need to aim well so that those few shells that do hit do so for maximal impact: Any cruiser up to and including tier 5 is basically one-shottable, that is, one shell hitting perfectly can kill them from full health. And even if that is rare, you should reliably be able to take away 1/3-1/2 of a cruisers health if he shows his broadside and are in reasonable range. 

Playstyle wise, you need to learn to predict how a situation will evolve and react ahead of time. If there's a risk that you'll have multiple cruisers bearing down on you without support you need to realize this early enough to avoid. And like people said, one fire,let it burn: both the HE shell damage and the fire damage are mostly healable. If it's just one or two cruisers you really shouldn't have a major problem.

As for damage output, I'm not the greatest battleship player, but I decided to start leveling the USN BB tree tonight and in the Wyoming I have something like 47k avg damage, which 

Could very well be, but I hope you can see that it's kind of a two sided blade. Be agressive, get some hits, but get owned, be careful, finish the game with next to no hits. Notoriously inaccurate or no, the RNG still makes I cannot reliably take off 1/3 HP of a CC like you claim.

I'm trying my best to avoid such situations, but there is not a lot of communication out there. I have encountered situations where we, as a small group are doing well against a similar ships, when suddenly everyone turns around without saying something. Most of the time I notice, the other times... Well, you can guess the ending.

Premium repair party + prem. heal and Basics of Survivability skill allways on BBs

Scout plane is a life saver (against torps and DDs)

I'm a little apprehensive about spending on those. But if you say they make that big of a difference, I'll look into them.

Thanks for your reply. Just as I said earlier, I will look into that. The trouble is, It's hard to disengage when you're already committed, especially if there are more than one ship shooting at you.

this may seem very obvious but load armour piercing. when I stopped grinding BBs at the wyoming I was pissed off that I was doing nearly nothing and getting sunk contantly but eventually I realised that I was firing HE at cruiser XD. returned a few months later, stopped being a doof and turned it into an absolute monster than demolishes anything it sees

That goes without saying! I only use HE against DD, and against BB to start a fire (if I happen to have it loaded, I switch after a Salvo or two). Thanks for your thoughts though :)
Edited by WebSpawn

Beta Tester
1,746 posts
1,390 battles

View PostWebSpawn, on 27 February 2016 - 01:10 PM, said:

Thanks for your reply. Just as I said earlier, I will look into that. The trouble is, It's hard to disengage when you're already committed, especially if there are more than one ship shooting at you.

If you position well and don't have a zone to protect or deter enemies from that you should try to manage the amount of opponents that can fire at you. Committing is something that's a big problem for a lot of Battleship players, but it's also often because they let themselves get boxed in by the edge of the map.

Ensure (by using islands for cover) to only fire at one or two enemies (while still being on the move), preferably sail away from enemies if you're engaged by multiple, focus on reducing the enemies firing at you by removing cruisers as threats asap with AP and most importantly, sail towards friendlies as much as possible. Not only will they help you bring down enemies, but they will also scare off enemies. The best way to ensure this is to start on the outside of the map rather than sail towards the edge of the map during an engagement. This way you don't commit to a side, but rather, you allow yourself to control the side and move towards other areas, where you might be needed, towards help and safety and away from danger (so aim away from the enemies before you start your combat such that once you turn to show your broadside you are sailing towards the middle of your defense line. It also helps plug holes in defensive lines. You can then always choose to stay on a side, but it is a choice.

You'll see that a lot of BB and cruiser players work from the inside to the outside, but are then either forced to commit themselves to a route towards the enemies, or forced to take a really long circling route back to the middle that also forces them away from the enemy zone, rather than gives them an option to distance or approach. You can find two topics about this here:

BB tactics for:

Northern Lights

New Dawn

Edited by Figment

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

If you position well and don't have a zone to protect or deter enemies from that you should try to manage the amount of opponents that can fire at you. Committing is something that's a big problem for a lot of Battleship players, but it's also often because they let themselves get boxed in by the edge of the map.

Ensure (by using islands for cover) to only fire at one or two enemies (while still being on the move), preferably sail away from enemies if you're engaged by multiple, focus on reducing the enemies firing at you by removing cruisers as threats asap with AP and most importantly, sail towards friendlies as much as possible. Not only will they help you bring down enemies, but they will also scare off enemies. The best way to ensure this is to start on the outside of the map rather than sail towards the edge of the map during an engagement. This way you don't commit to a side, but rather, you allow yourself to control the side and move towards other areas, where you might be needed, towards help and safety and away from danger (so aim away from the enemies before you start your combat such that once you turn to show your broadside you are sailing towards the middle of your defense line. It also helps plug holes in defensive lines. You can then always choose to stay on a side, but it is a choice.

You'll see that a lot of BB and cruiser players work from the inside to the outside, but are then either forced to commit themselves to a route towards the enemies, or forced to take a really long circling route back to the middle that also forces them away from the enemy zone, rather than gives them an option to distance or approach. You can find two topics about this here:

BB tactics for:

Northern Lights

New Dawn

I will definitely give them a read, Thanks for your input :)

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

Tried implementing some of the advice from this topic, and I Survive for far longer than I used to. And although I'm doing better now, I still can't reliably hit ships. Especially at range

I know a lot is down to ther RNG, but I still see others getting much more hits out of their shots. I've tried everything, using my gut instinct and approximations to aim, or the timer and distance gauge. Makes no difference.

Really at a loss here.

[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,045 posts
7,561 battles

Tried implementing some of the advice from this topic, and I Survive for far longer than I used to. And although I'm doing better now, I still can't reliably hit ships. Especially at range

I know a lot is down to ther RNG, but I still see others getting much more hits out of their shots. I've tried everything, using my gut instinct and approximations to aim, or the timer and distance gauge. Makes no difference.

Really at a loss here.

Aiming well is something that requires one of two things. First is an inherent superior skill for prediction, which is something most of us don't have. The other is time to learn the prediction game well. I fell squarely into the latter. It took time to learn it well, and I would say that even after several hundred BB games, I still had plenty to improve. Aiming well is one of those skills we don't really ever max out on.

So being at Kongo and New York you still have some distance to go. Don't worry, it is like that for the vast majority of players.

So what can you do to improve more rapidly? Well, I would suggest taking a gander at iChasegaming's youtube channel and his Captain's Academy. There are a number of those videos that deal specifically with aiming (and I'm sure there are a few others you might like :great:). Another couple of youtubers that might help (in a more indirect way) would be Flamu and Notser. Both being excellent marksmen. Sometimes they drop little hints as to what to do to hit well, but mainly it is more watching what they do and trying to apply it yourself.

Finally, you can get a Training Room mod (from the mod subforum, Aslain's modpack has one included and is easy to install). In there you get the ship you want to improve on and pit it against X number of relevant ships. Remember to make them active, but not armed. This way they will sail around (and try to cap, so beware) but not shoot, letting you get easy training on maneuvering targets. It is especially worth it to learn how much each ship turns in relation to your guns' shells' speed, so you can predict how far the target turns and aim there (don't worry, it isn't about hard calculations, just getting the feeling for it mostly). My personal experience tells me it is this sort of prediction most people have issues with.

Beta Tester
104 posts
3,284 battles

Aiming well is something that requires one of two things. First is an inherent superior skill for prediction, which is something most of us don't have. The other is time to learn the prediction game well. I fell squarely into the latter. It took time to learn it well, and I would say that even after several hundred BB games, I still had plenty to improve. Aiming well is one of those skills we don't really ever max out on.

So being at Kongo and New York you still have some distance to go. Don't worry, it is like that for the vast majority of players.

So what can you do to improve more rapidly? Well, I would suggest taking a gander at iChasegaming's youtube channel and his Captain's Academy. There are a number of those videos that deal specifically with aiming (and I'm sure there are a few others you might like :great:). Another couple of youtubers that might help (in a more indirect way) would be Flamu and Notser. Both being excellent marksmen. Sometimes they drop little hints as to what to do to hit well, but mainly it is more watching what they do and trying to apply it yourself.

Finally, you can get a Training Room mod (from the mod subforum, Aslain's modpack has one included and is easy to install). In there you get the ship you want to improve on and pit it against X number of relevant ships. Remember to make them active, but not armed. This way they will sail around (and try to cap, so beware) but not shoot, letting you get easy training on maneuvering targets. It is especially worth it to learn how much each ship turns in relation to your guns' shells' speed, so you can predict how far the target turns and aim there (don't worry, it isn't about hard calculations, just getting the feeling for it mostly). My personal experience tells me it is this sort of prediction most people have issues with.

Thanks for your reply, I really like improving myself but the game makes it so damn frustrating to play BB's. This in contrast to say most cruisers, or even DD's. They do have their own unique playstyle, yes. But at least you can hit the other guy.

I already follow iChase, but wasn't aware of the other two mentioned. I'll definitely have a look see!