Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
ElAlmirante

world of sail warships/ships of the line

25 comments in this topic

Players
18 posts

would it be possible to create a game like wows with historic warships? do you think many people would be interested in playing a game like that?

Players
2,279 posts
6,252 battles

Even though i would love to see something like this, I dont think there would ever a big enough market to keep this game alive. But I would definitely play it. :playing:

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Team
2,279 posts
5,901 battles

Well.. such game, set in the age of sail would be awesome. 

You can even see potential for certain classes right away: ships of the line, frigates and smaller vessels serving as scouts/auxiliary roles. Sure that would be awesome!

The problem is the fact market for such games is unfortunately rather small in scope. Perhaps this can be changed, perhaps one day we`d see such game but for now there are no such plans. 

• Cool 1

[0RCA]
Alpha Tester
489 posts
2,643 battles

Empire : Total War had brilliant age of sail battles if you turned off the battle time limit and were prepared to play it for a couple of hours a battle. Constantly trying to outmaneuver the enemy takes a lot of fast thinking in one sailing ship on a limited size map, it takes forever to play a battle with 12 ships on each side mostly on the slowest possible speed or paused.

Imagine if you took a slice of the general WoT player base and stuck them in a game with slow moving vessels that can only move in three directions on a four sided map. I'm guessing most would leave and you'd be quickly left with an unprofitable game with a few unicums sailing round in Tier 10 Victories.

Alpha Tester
473 posts
729 battles

Well.. such game, set in the age of sail would be awesome. 

You can even see potential for certain classes right away: ships of the line, frigates and smaller vessels serving as scouts/auxiliary roles. Sure that would be awesome!

The problem is the fact market for such games is unfortunately rather small in scope. Perhaps this can be changed, perhaps one day we`d see such game but for now there are no such plans. 

Please no ironclads, those are complete hacks since they don't have lots of guns but impenetrable armour (as well as partially submerged)

[WG-EU]
WG Team
2,279 posts
5,901 battles

There were actually quite few games that included naval battles of the age of sail, but they all were rather niche and not all that popular. 

Still, would be nice to take some ships to the sea, like Le Superbe. 

One day, perhaps... 

Players
18 posts

Total War is a good example. Assassin´s Creed IV: Black Flag is another nice game with naval battles involving sail warships (too bad there´s no multiplayer mode).

Edited by ElAlmirante

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,568 battles

Please no ironclads, those are complete hacks since they don't have lots of guns but impenetrable armour (as well as partially submerged)

That's why WG have gold ammo :sad:

Alpha Tester
7 posts
163 battles

would it be possible to create a game like wows with historic warships? do you think many people would be interested in playing a game like that?

there is already games like that

Alpha Tester
22 posts
9,443 battles

If WoWs will be successfull.

Maybe later why not?

Age of sail makes sense.

Alpha Tester
7 posts
14 battles

World of Tanks is great and i really hope World of Warships will be fantastic !

Theyr are alot of possibilitys what they can do after World of Warships but actually let them concentrate please for World of Warships ;)

Players
18 posts

there is already games like that

Would you mind telling me which ones you know? Thanks in advance

Probably for Wargaming it woudn't be that profitable.

But anyway, i am keeping my eyes focused on this, time will tell

http://www.navalaction.com/#ageofsail

That looks absolutely wonderful. Thanks for the website.

[BETAN]
Weekend Tester
309 posts
1,428 battles

Although the WoWs engine and the scale of WoWs altogether should work very well with sailing ships (there are already these broadside-moments in WoWs it is rumored) the game would be so different that WG could not hope to just add them to the game. Crew, wind direction, maneuverability, size of ships and breaking masts are so crucial factors to playing this that it would be a whole new game. And i would love this! Maybe they could outsource such a project. Sell it to Peter Jackson, he owns the rights to the Tremeraire-books and with those they could combine napoleonic sailing ship-wars with dragon-airfleets! :D

[WG-EU]
WG Team
2,279 posts
5,901 battles

Although the WoWs engine and the scale of WoWs altogether should work very well with sailing ships (there are already these broadside-moments in WoWs it is rumored) the game would be so different that WG could not hope to just add them to the game. Crew, wind direction, maneuverability, size of ships and breaking masts are so crucial factors to playing this that it would be a whole new game. And i would love this! Maybe they could outsource such a project. Sell it to Peter Jackson, he owns the rights to the Tremeraire-books and with those they could combine napoleonic sailing ship-wars with dragon-airfleets! :D

You know, given the aspects of the Age of Sail I`d rather expect a relatively slow - paced game, with quite different tactical approach as you basically can`t sail against the wind, you need to maneuver quite a bit and your guns work not exactly the way they did in XX century and so on. 

Hence I don`t think it would suit World of... Amarr victor! :trollface:

Alpha Tester
296 posts

Hence I don`t think it would suit World of... Amarr victor! :trollface:

Nope, nope nope!

The Trafalgar engagement already took hours before the first shots were fired, well, ships of the line are slow, very slow. :hiding:

I still enjoyed the naval part of Empire: Total War. :B

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
296 posts

as linked above, NavalAction is awesome, its in early early Alpha,

Looks to me like the Empire naval mode, but as a refined standalone game. :child:

Players
8 posts
570 battles

Since the last post is already 3 years ago, i wanted to ask whether WG maybe thaught about such a very nice game. I just wanted to state my interest in such a nice setting too. Why people say that this setting is just for a niche (a couple of players)? Since WoWs is also a game which is desired to those people which like the age of 1st - 2nd WW mixed with teambased gameplay. I belive that there are at least as much fans as for the WW century present who will like to drive their own sailer into battle.

greez (:

Sign in to follow this