Sign in to follow this  
MrConway

Introductory Mission

7 comments in this topic

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,131 posts
2,239 battles

Please leave your feedback regarding the introductory mission here.

[PORT]
Modder
1,492 posts
10,987 battles

Is the introduction-mission available only for new accounts?

Edit: Of course it is. Yes, it's nice for absolute beginners.

Edited by Smeggo

Players
744 posts
7,393 battles

a few thoughts on the introductory mission and first login:

1) on first logging in welcome the new player and invite him/her to basic training or jumping right in with the introductory mission.

2) Set introductory mission as initial default in battle type button on first time log in.

3) Assume the new player has not modified their commands and advise on which key does things when giving in game text coaching. ie R stops fire, 1 = HE rounds etc ... text does say W to speed up but not how to slow or turn ... and new player will be overwhelmed first few times playing. ease player into game will make them feel better about their performance.

4) Advise which shells to engage DDs, CLs and BBs with. and how to select it

5) Training ship needs to take some damage say at 5%/10% normal damage otherwise new player will get fairly bizarre impression of a hashidate/erie's armour!

6) A small reward in xp/creds for completing the mission ... ie 100xp/1000crds - apply to whichever ship they completed mission in ... to establish the concept of earning through in game performance.

7) script for the cap area B cruisers and BB maneuvering quite short. new players will not kill these ships fast so some extra time really needs to be allocated to the cruisers/BB sailing about in the open sea area

8) if a citadel is achieved - pop a text box to explain what it is and how great the results are

9) when BB goes on fire pop a box to explain fire damages

notes:

thought the very green bow wave was nice

map was pretty

liked the bases ... really need them in random to stop people shooting at the villages

was disconnected when starting hashidate scenario but it only happened once out of 4 scenarios played and I reconnected easily enough

a similar scenario for CVs might be a good idea given the game play for CVs is so very different. doent need to be simplistic or complicated ... just a strike mission against a BB in ocean fending off a cap of fighters.

otherwise scenario was nice intro for a new player.

Edited by ShuggieHamster
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
2 posts
3,209 battles

for a new player the intro was fine to myself as a player any way but maybe a few more explantation's  on how to slow down and turn would help a new player into the game as it can be a little confusing and i also think the ship ones controlling should take a bitmore damage as the wrong impression will be given on how much the hulls can take otherwise i found it awesome i also like the idea of turrets from the islands firing from the islands maybe there could be introduced into a different  idea into the game as in the defending of hulls to certain areas as a division thing  otherwise great job

Quality Poster
3,316 posts
8,375 battles

As already mentioned:

- more explanations on how to turn, switch ammo and, important, use the repair party

- enemy ships should do a little bit more damage. Rather less enemies that do more damage

In total though, it was quite enjoyable (even for a more experienced player like me). The coastal batteries were nice. Also the A + B base setup. 

Personally i'd like to see at least four introductory missions (one for each ship category). Also they should be mandatory before playing each category the first time. So Cruiser introductory as it is right now, DD intro at T2, BB intro at T3 and CV intro at T4. I also wouldn't mind if they can be selected even after a player has more than 10 battles.

Greetings

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
103 posts
2,355 battles

As already mentioned the introductory mission needs expanding a little bit. The overall mission is good but it needs to explain movement controls, ammunition types & what type of ammunition is effective against which ship, as well as things like ship consumables. Also, that's been mentioned, it'd be wise to have tutorials that cover the use of different types of ships in the game and as an incentive for new players to use them, they should reward the player with credits and xp as that'll encourage them to get started. Maybe even reward them with a premium day or some gold for doing to the tutorials too. 

• Cool 1

Players
744 posts
7,393 battles

Maybe even reward them with a premium day or some gold for doing to the tutorials too. 

spot on! +1