Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Spithas

Torpedo Damage

16 comments in this topic

[OMNI]
Players
775 posts
11,610 battles

I am in my Zao and there is this annoying Fletcher sitting in his smoke 6km from me spamming me with his guns. So i turn my ship and launch a spread of 10 torps towards him.

When the torp hit ribbon pops up i start to smile... but then i notice that it's a x2 Torp hit... and then to my utter amazement i also notice that there is no red Ship Sunk Ribbon along with them... After the smoke clears a 2.5k hp Fletcher emerges.

Now i know that torps never do their full damage, that at best it's 0.9 i think of the max damage.

But seriously can someone explain to me how a 17k hp ship eat 2 x 21366 damage torpedoes and survive?

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,870 battles

I am in my Zao and there is this annoying Fletcher sitting in his smoke 6km from me spamming me with his guns. So i turn my ship and launch a spread of 10 torps towards him.

When the torp hit ribbon pops up i start to smile... but then i notice that it's a x2 Torp hit... and then to my utter amazement i also notice that there is no red Ship Sunk Ribbon along with them... After the smoke clears a 2.5k hp Fletcher emerges.

Now i know that torps never do their full damage, that at best it's 0.9 i think of the max damage.

But seriously can someone explain to me how a 17k hp ship eat 2 x 21366 damage torpedoes and survive?

I've once hit a DD with 3 torps in a salvo with my DD, and he hit me with 1. He ended up surviving and me on the bottom of the ocean.

DDs have like 3 compartments (or 4?) and each compartment has maximum HP/damage it can take and all I can think of is that you've hit the same compartment twice.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

DDs blow up if you hit them midtships though.

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles

Dont worry, soon Zao will be nerfed. 

As for the torps, i also remember hiting a DD with 3 torps and he survived as i took 1 and sank it was on t5 sailed a Gremyashy, dont remember the other one.

And dont know, may bee im speciall, but torps always seem to hit me close to full dmg or even more. Remember a division brought a t5 DD in to tier 10 game, so, that t5 hit my Yamato with 2 torps for 35+k dmg caused flooding and knocked out my engine.

So i doubt even WG knows how torps work.

Beta Tester
468 posts
4,890 battles

Ha, a couple of days ago I managed to hit a Fletcher with FOUR (yes, 4) torpedoes and he died TO THE FLOODING CAUSED BY THOSE TORPEDOES. And to top it off it was a stock Fletcher so it's hitpoints was only 13k and change. My torpedoes were the upgraded Fletcher's torpedoes with just over 19k damage potential each. I get it that he didn't die instantly to one torpedo or maybe even two... but FOUR!? This has got to be a world first.

Oh and before anyone says I probably hit another target, I checked the post-battle stats and I got 4 recorded hits on the enemy Fletcher and I know for sure I did not hit him with anything else at any point.

• Cool 1

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

And dont know, may bee im speciall, but torps always seem to hit me close to full dmg or even more. Remember a division brought a t5 DD in to tier 10 game, so, that t5 hit my Yamato with 2 torps for 35+k dmg caused flooding and knocked out my engine.

Yes, especially since Minekaze's torps do 14 400 damage each (according to WoWs Wiki) for a grand total of 28 800 potential damage. And that's even when disregarding the torpedo damage reduction on higher tiers due to belt armour (40 % or so on a Yamato)......

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

DDs blow up if you hit them midtships though.

No longer true.

The additional damage for midship torp hits vs DDs was removed some patches ago.

And it's not a question of torps not doing max damage, but hp pools in parts of the ship. You don't hit the ship, you hit one of the hp zones with the torp. If there are no hp left in that zone then you will only do minimal damage.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

DDs have like 3 compartments (or 4?) and each compartment has maximum HP/damage it can take and all I can think of is that you've hit the same compartment twice.

With a Fletcher, you can actually hit the bow and the stern with infinitely strong torpedoes and it won't sink.

Total hp: 17100

Hull hp: 12800

Bow hp: 1900

Stern hp: 1700

In the OP's case it would have to be two bow torpedoes as the Fletcher had 2500 hp remaining.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

No longer true.

The additional damage for midship torp hits vs DDs was removed some patches ago.

And it's not a question of torps not doing max damage, but hp pools in parts of the ship. You don't hit the ship, you hit one of the hp zones with the torp. If there are no hp left in that zone then you will only do minimal damage.

It's been a while since I've been hit by a torp in a full-health DD. The previous system was that you took full torp HP damage midtships, and less at bow/stern. So this system have been changed?

Edited by Vogel

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

It's been a while since I've been hit by a torp in a full-health DD. The previous system was that you took full torp HP damage midtships, and less at bow/stern. So this system have been changed?

No, you got an additional +50% torp damage midships. That was removed.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
2,062 posts
3,667 battles

Right. But we still have reduced HP damage at bow/stern, or is everything uniform now?

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

Right. But we still have reduced HP damage at bow/stern, or is everything uniform now?

Afaik you get the same damage on every place at the ship, just capped by the local available hp for that section.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

Bow/stern damage is generally lower, but that's mostly due to the dependence on module hp. IIRC there's also a flat 0.9x modifier but that's relatively unimportant.

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles

That video is awesome, 6 torps to kill a DD when a full heath BB can go down from just one drunk RNGesus, and theres another buff to DDs and a BB  nerf comming. Guess i should go pick a DD to play like many have already did...

Sign in to follow this