Sign in to follow this  
txtspeak

How do I clemson

10 comments in this topic

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

After my last post complaining about how dificult it was to play DDs I (almost) got gud with the Isokaze IJN tier IV destroyer.

I think the sort of gist of playing as DDs is trying to get in between the spotting distance and torpedo range and try to fire your torpedoes without getting spotted by other ships.

however I was playing the clemson and It was pretty obvious that your not supposed to play the clemson in this way as its spotting distance is greater than its torpedo range. so WG what gives? last game I attempted to sneak past the enemy team and surprise the enemy carrier but failed as the carrier spotted me, OUTRAN ME (In a destroyer while he was in a langley) and waited for two enemy karlsruches to kick my [edited]. What am I supposed to do while playing as the clemson.

any help would be much appreciated

[SCRUB]
Players
7,299 posts
9,543 battles

USN DDs are essentionally gunboats.

Load up HE and pepper enemy targets of opportunity at your maximum range whilst evading return fire with your DD mobility, set fires and let 'em burn. Also, killing other DDs is what USN ones are really excell at. You'll smoke any torpedo-vision DD player with your guns as they vainly try hitting you with torpedoes.

The Clemson in particular is a good example of that, as the gun upgrade turns all your guns into double-barrel mounts, doubling your firepower, that's a total of six guns you can have pointing at any single target depending on how you angle your ship ... that's a lot of HE raining down.

Don't try to torpedo other ships unless you can ambush them, like say hiding behind an island. With 5,5km maximum range you'll be spotted and shot at long before you can launch them if you approach them without breaking line of sight. And if you want to hit anything, you'll need to get even closer as its torpedoes aren't very fast and are thus easily avoidable if the enemy knows a thing or two about evading them.

[ST-EU]
Supertester
3,402 posts
18,082 battles

last game I attempted to sneak past the enemy team and surprise the enemy carrier but failed as the carrier spotted me, OUTRAN ME (In a destroyer while he was in a langley) 

Langley outrun a Clemson? :sceptic:

Seriously though, USN alongside the RUS DD's are gunboats primarily and are great for suppressing enemy DD's. Good rate of fire means you can also be a royal pain spamming HE at CA's and BB's (preferably enemy ships!).

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Well, I quite like the Clemson and it caused me to go through the entire DD tree (I'm up to the Benson now, only 1 match in it but I already love it.)

The Clemson is quite a good DD when played to its strengths and as you said, torpedoes aren't his strengths. An USN DD plays quite a lot different and isn't something for everyone. If you like the IJN DDs then you might not like the USN ones.

But while the detectability of the Clemson is worse then the Isokaze, it completely wrecks the Isokaze. Your turret rotation speed and DPM with them is quite a lot higher then theirs. But your place isn't far out into the front, but a bit further back. Basically your job is harassment and anti-IJN-DD. And in that role it's quite strong.

Torpedoes. Now, torps aren't your primary damage dealers. They have only about 5,5km range and that's well below your detectability range. On top of that they are also quite slow. But they are a good detergent. Don't rely on your torps to kill, but use them as a tool. When hunting DD's you can use them to force the enemy DD to go into a certain turn. Or interrupt their run to evade your torps. You can also use them as area denial. Just launch some torps in between a few islands, it will make the enemy think twice before going through there. You can also use them to scare BB's. For example you see a BB heading into a direction you don't want but he is just out of range of your torps but you're still undetected. Then if you launch them towards him he'll get the warning blips go off when they get close and he's tempted to maneuvre since he can't know if it's an USN DD or IJN DD that launched those torps. They will fall short though, but it scared him. Causing him to make maneuvres he didn't want to and that might give you the advantage.

Guns. And this is where your strong point lies. Your primary target should be IJN DD's. Know that if you start shooting your guns you will add +/- 4km to your Surface Detectability Range. Know when you can use this extra Detectability and when you definitely can't. Generally if there is a cruiser nearby that can shoot at you (for example Cleveland, Omaha, Murmansk, Koningsberg) then hold fire unless you're detected already. Never engage a cruiser 1 on 1, you will lose. If the matchup is equal (Clemson vs Clemson or Clemson vs Izyaslav) then shoot and disengage. An equal matchup is a lose-lose situation and you should try to avoid those unless you're in the advantage. That said, always pick fights where you're in the advantage. Otherwise try to give yourself the advantage (smart use of cover for example or lure the enemy into your cruisers).

A favorite tactic of mine is smoke, stop and shoot. This means that you put yourself into a position where you can shoot at an enemy <something>. This can be anything really. You start decreasing speed and then smoke, when you hit the smoke button, stop your ship as well. This will make sure you don't move out of your smoke. Now you find the easiest to hit target and start raining hell. While they can see where the gunfire is coming from, they can't actually see you nor reliably hit you. If you do get hit, slowly move a little bit forward or aft and this will throw off their aim, just don't move out of the smoke and keep hailing those rounds. Also keep your AA turned off in smoke since if you fire those while in smoke they will see you. If the enemy gets within 2km of you you will be auto detected, make sure you launch torps at them or run before that happens.

A side note, smoke works both ways, this means that if you smoke, you can't see the enemy anymore either. So that means you need a friendly to spot for you. If you don't have a friendly to spot for you or you throw your smoke in between your friends and your targets, you just made everyone on your team blind (the enemy might still see them because of a hidden DD somewhere)

If you see an enemy DD do this tactic to your team, it's quite easy to counter. Since they are usually forward of their allies and he can't spot you, it means that you can quite easily sail head first into the smoke undetected and then spot them for your allies. The idea of his smoke is that he IS within shooting distance of your cruisers guns, but he can't be seen by them. Because you move into the smoke with him and thus come to a range less then 2km he will be auto detected and then your allies will be able to shoot their guns at him. And then you can do the same thing. Be careful of DDs doing this to you.

Other:

- If you're spotted, don't sail in a straight line, it will make you an easy target

- When running, keep zig-zagging. But try to change if up a little. If you go SB for 2 seconds and then PS for 2 seconds all the time it makes you a predictable target and they will just shoot where you're going to be in stead of where you're heading at the moment. So sometimes turn a bit further or longer then you did. Also keep an eye on where the shells are going and steer the other way.

- Because of your turn circle and the fact that the turning point of your ships is 1/3rd of the length from the bow know that it's quite easy to move your [edited]our of the way of something.

- If you get torps fired at you and they might hit, know that turning and decreasing speed at the same time is an option and might save you.

- A Langley should never be able to outrun you, its maximum speed is only 15kn, yours is 35kn. That's more then double.

- If you can ambush, ambush (hide behind an island waiting for that juicy BB to round the corner and penetrate him with 6 torps. Clemsons torps are slow and short range, but pack a hell of a punch)

Players
3,041 posts
3,645 battles

But they are a good detergent. 

If I tried to wash my dishes with torpedoes I think I would explode my dish washer

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

If I tried to wash my dishes with torpedoes I think I would explode my dish washer

Can't blame that on auto correct, can I? :P

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

- If you're spotted, don't sail in a straight line, it will make you an easy target

- When running, keep zig-zagging. But try to change if up a little. If you go SB for 2 seconds and then PS for 2 seconds all the time it makes you a predictable target and they will just shoot where you're going to be in stead of where you're heading at the moment. So sometimes turn a bit further or longer then you did. Also keep an eye on where the shells are going and steer the other way.

Constant full rudder turning eats speed.

Instead of "panicky" constant turns those turns should be calmer and more controlled, something like 15-20 degree to both sides of direction away from enemy.

And after turn to one direction few second pause is good before turning back to other direction.

That also avoids turning back to under incoming salvo.

Against single enemy those turns can be also timed, so that you'll start turning just before enemy would fire.

Then you can just watch if enemy aimed at your old course, or anticipated in which case you either release rudder or keep turning harder.

Stealth torping incoming enemies is possible because during torpedo travel time target basically comes closer.

Faster cruisers basically move 3km in time it takes 5,5km torp to reach end of its run.

And BBs near 2km closer.

Basically you need to position yourself roughly in front of enemy in course which keeps you undetcted.

Ideally you want to launch torps so that they hit enemy little from either side of its bow to have bigger target to hit.

Also shift one launcher aim tiny part of salvo spread ahead of lead indicator and other one bit behind lead indicator, so that torps salvoes are interleaved decreasing gaps between torps.

If enemy doesn't notice/keeps in straight line you should get hit or two and in case of BB probably one hit even if he turns toward torps.

If target turns away from torps at last seconds that just makes him bigger target likely giving more hits.

This shows well how to torp enemies spotted by others and coming from behind island.

Sign in to follow this