Sign in to follow this  
AntHill_M0b

Why Play US CV's?

13 comments in this topic

[HMSR]
Players
1 post
12,531 battles

Hey i started playing CV recently and i am aware that US fighters are stronger than IJN however this does not seem to compensate for an extra Advantage of more speed/Squadrons IJN get.

Better speed on IJN makes sense and is huge advantage to avoid Torps/detection but should the speed difference really be this large at lower tiers:

10 knts at T4

11.5 knts at T5

Langley                                                    Hosho  

Hp 33700                                                 Hp 31800

2 Squadrons ( 1 Torp  / 1 Fighter)           3 Squadrons  (2 Torp / 1 Fighter)

15 knts                                                     25 knts

Extra Squadons on all IJN CV's at all Tiers compared to US.

At T5 is similar as above the Bogue seems very under-powered to the Zuiho.

Is this as Intended?

Please leave feedback.

Players
29 posts
1,168 battles

US CV's have 6 planes per squadron and IJN has 4 planes per squadron. T4 and T8 CV's are balanced as they have both their advantages and cons, but T5-T7 IJN CV's are much better because IJN has more planes and better loadout unless the US CV goes into a air superiority setup which is mediocre at best since you can't do much damage to ships with US air superiority. However the US T9 and 10 Essex and Midway are good to borderline OP but you will have to suffer through the earlier tiers to get them.

Edited by Vadon90

Players
194 posts
2,055 battles

The main advantage of playing a USS Carrier is that your torpedo manual spread is so much tighter than comparable Japanese drops, while you have less squadrons of torpedo planes, I find it much easier to hit with 3 or 4 of my 6 torpedoes assuming I don't screw up the drop, personally it's more of a preference thing, I like the ships in the US Carrier line better than the Japanese ones. That being said, US Carriers would be excellent if you could load Armor Piercing Bombs onto Dive Bombers, or shooting down enemy aviation actually rewarded decent EXP. 

[ODB]
Alpha Tester
2,582 posts
10,292 battles

The main advantage of playing a USS Carrier is that your torpedo manual spread is so much tighter than comparable Japanese drops, while you have less squadrons of torpedo planes, I find it much easier to hit with 3 or 4 of my 6 torpedoes assuming I don't screw up the drop, personally it's more of a preference thing, I like the ships in the US Carrier line better than the Japanese ones. That being said, US Carriers would be excellent if you could load Armor Piercing Bombs onto Dive Bombers, or shooting down enemy aviation actually rewarded decent EXP. 

Yes, but the ability of US CV's dropping torps right alongside shiips with no chance of moving is a little over the top, even when you see them coming. You cannot expect coordinated gameplay in randoms so expecting cruisers to protect you is just as ridiculous. I'd be happy to see them nerf this aspect. Some BB's are sitting ducks with rudder shift time nerfed now so I'd say they have it perfect for cv trolling in US CV's at the expense of fun for everyone else.

[NWP]
Players
2,187 posts
13,991 battles

Yes, but the ability of US CV's dropping torps right alongside shiips with no chance of moving is a little over the top, even when you see them coming. You cannot expect coordinated gameplay in randoms so expecting cruisers to protect you is just as ridiculous. I'd be happy to see them nerf this aspect. Some BB's are sitting ducks with rudder shift time nerfed now so I'd say they have it perfect for cv trolling in US CV's at the expense of fun for everyone else.

lol, you don't play US CV do you?

US CV can miss and do miss as well, sure they won't miss on a lone BB ( but why should they ? ) but a skilled BB captain will dodge torpedos ( not all off them, but he won't die in 1 run ). As for no coordinated gameplay in Random battlles: there is a chat window, if you want AA over ask for it. Mostly there is always one cruiser happy enough to stick close to a BB.

Beta Tester
417 posts
5,993 battles

Some of us like to meta-game. Air Superiority might not be the most rewarding in terms of exp and silver, but taking control of a map and keeping the enemy perma-spotted is delicious. 

• Cool 1

Players
2,199 posts
13,149 battles

Why play US cv?.....Well maybe answer is in ....from t 9 you will be most op ship in game. Maybe not OP but highest dmg ship in game with ability to sink any ship if you want in one strike.

Players
1,677 posts
12,951 battles

Some of us like to meta-game. Air Superiority might not be the most rewarding in terms of exp and silver, but taking control of a map and keeping the enemy perma-spotted is delicious. 

This. Yesterday, when playing Independence, I discovered the advantages of manual fighter barriage. Had a great CV duel against a Ryujo afterwards, as we both had fighter config, resulting in somewhat of a draw as we tore apart each other's aircraft, leaving only a few dive bombers for each of us.

I really enjoy US carriers and the struggle for air superiority. On the other hand, I really screwed up with IJN carrier Hosho and US stock carriers - I utterly suck at using torp bombers :)

Sign in to follow this