Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Doerte

Question of a good (Random) Captain: Why do I suck in Ranked?

28 comments in this topic

[EYLIG]
Beta Tester
256 posts
15,969 battles

Hey guys! 

The headline pretty much sums it up already, but I'll go into detail a bit here:

Having been into WoWS from the CBT on and still (despite its obvious flaws) still loving the game and its potential, I recently got frustrated by Ranked Battles in a way, I have not been frustrated by a game since Battletoads' stupid racing levels on SNES.
Battletoads_gameplay.jpg

*ugh!!!* 

Let us look at my stats to be more specific. Here are my number of battles next to my win/loss-ratio.
-Random Games

1,458 - 56.58%

-Ranked Battles

172 - 50.00%

The difference is quite obvious, is it?

If not, I'll put it in my own words:

In Random Battles I don't consider myself to be the most awesome or ambitious player out there, but with a well above average win-rate, I feel confident to say, I usually help my team to win.

Ranked Battles feel like quite the opposite to me. I was Rank 5 after a mere 3 days. Over 100 battles later, I managed to be Rank 6 as of today :great:. Including the fact, that one needs less than 50% w/l (because WG grants you a 'free' star every Rank you climb) and the way better stats of the early Ranked-days, I am well under 50% during the last weeks.

I am not one of those guys starting to point fingers at others without ever questioning myself. After all, even IF I end up in a team of monkeys, others do too and still rank up. In the long run RNG still means equal chances for everybody, it just screws you occasionally.  So it has to be sth about my playstyle.

To give an idea, how I tend to play:

-Ships: Tirpitz, Fubuki or Mogami. 
--as Tirp: getting somewhat near to the action, so my teammates get shot less, while stil not going all-in. Also using HE on DDs regularly, because I know how much it sucks for DD players, that scout enemy DDs and NO one shoots them. My job: Kill BBs, threaten or kill CAs and 'tanking' dmg instead of my smaller fellows.

--as Fubu: rushing main cap to block or cap. Using stealth to scout enemy DDs or smoke to further block cap or retreating. Also torping cap points/ships. 

--as Mogami: staying safe, but not hanging too far back, beacuse I understand my main duty to kill DDs. If focus fired, I stop shooting, conceal myself (10,9km spot range) and wait for BBs to focus someone else.

As mentioned above, I think my aggressive playstyle is the problem. But playing more passively ends up in our team still losing, with me being in the lower 3rd.

Playing as usual in most cases ends up in veeery nice battles and XP, while we still lose the games. (look recent screens of ldefeats)

like this

mogami.jpg

or this

fubu detail 2.jpg

Even fully focussed in Ranked,My chances of winning are much better in a chilled Random battle, without even having to focus or concentrate.

Any ideas, what  might be the reason for this?  Would appreciate some help or advice.

Das Doertliche

Edited by Doerte

[OMNI]
Players
341 posts
7,642 battles

Do you have any recordings of yourself playing? It is impossible to judge based on two-line descriptions on your in-game actions, which look alright btw.

Beta Tester
18 posts
4,027 battles

I think you should dedicate only to play with one type of ship in ranked. I only play with Tashkent and that helped me alot. But hey I only play with dds so...

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,882 battles

I got the same problem. I've been playing ranked a lot lately. Reached rank 3 (in ~80 battles) with almost 2k xp per battle. I either carried battles, or we lost (even lost some battles where I fully carried) and I got carrier in only a few instances. And then the real nightmare began. So many noobs, bots, people who just don't do anything, no teamplay in most battles, or 1-2 players refuse to teamwork and [edited]up the entire battle. I cannot believe people like that managed to reach rank 5 and below. I am seriously thinking of quitting ranked for good, because I don't need this kind of frustration because of idiots.

Beta Tester
18 posts
4,027 battles

I got the same problem. I've been playing ranked a lot lately. Reached rank 3 (in ~80 battles) with almost 2k xp per battle. I either carried battles, or we lost (even lost some battles where I fully carried) and I got carrier in only a few instances. And then the real nightmare began. So many noobs, bots, people who just don't do anything, no teamplay in most battles, or 1-2 players refuse to teamwork and [edited]up the entire battle. I cannot believe people like that managed to reach rank 5 and below. I am seriously thinking of quitting ranked for good, because I don't need this kind of frustration because of idiots.

I-know-that-feeling-bro-600x300.jpg

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

Take a gunboat (Kiev, Tashkent, Benson, Sims) - be aggressive (*), coordinate focus-fire, kill enemy DDs and cap = gg. ;)

4 example videos of Ranked Battles: 2nd, 1st and premiere League gameplay with Ognevoi, Kiev and Tashkent:

(*)

....you have to be good at aiming and need a good captain for sh*t like this ;)

P.S. use camo + premium consumables (for credits) + signal flags to boost your performance a bit - rank 1 gives you 10 million credits.... ;)

Edited by Trigger_Happy_Dad

[NED]
Players
4,289 posts
11,774 battles

I hear you. I'm stuck @ rank 10. Getting there was not too difficult. Sure: did not win every time but it went smootly. But after that, I had to use Tier 7 and 8. Fully upgraded ships, Able captains, the right flags and modules. But I don't win anything anymore! No I am certainly not the best player roaming this wonderful game and I understand I can have bad luck. Today I was amazed: i actually got one star! Which was gone the next game of course. When I sail a cruiser I get automatically citadelled in the opening salvo, rendering my HP to 5%. I zigzag, don't go in too fast, angle, turn or whatever: shot = citadel. Driving a BB is a curse too: I'm either too early at the battle fron or too late. I don't use DD's because I suck too much with them to risk a ranked battle.

Sure: there things happen at the randoms as well but not that often. Ok, ok, maybe I suck completely as a player at the T7, 8 range and I need to practise more. But 1 thing did make me clear: if a team loses 1 or 2 ships, it's almost impossible to come back. My opinion is that the teams are too small at this tier level. The team loses 1 ship by misfortune and the game is lost. And in my opnion there's a too great gap between T7 and T8. Which is not that much the case in lower tiers. (haven't got to higher tiers yet so I don't know if there are such gaps). My suggestion is either make larger teams, like 10 ships, or stay @ T7 or T8 mainly. But that's my personal opinion.

[EYLIG]
Beta Tester
256 posts
15,969 battles

Do you have any recordings of yourself playing? It is impossible to judge based on two-line descriptions on your in-game actions, which look alright btw.

I don't have any replays atm, but I'll provide, when I get my teeth kicked in the next time. Which will undoubtedly happen.

View PostTrigger_Happy_Dad, on 11 December 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Take a gunboat (Kiev, Tashkent, Benson, Sims) - be aggressive (*), coordinate focus-fire, kill enemy DDs and cap = gg. ;)

An aggressive playstyle is sth I can do... and do... do. But rushing the cap, while spotting enemy DDs in my sneaky Fubu (5,5km detect range) usually lets me cap if alone. But even when I ask my team to shell those DDs, everyone seems to be preoccupied with shooting BBs. In terms of firepower you can't do much against RU DDs. 

I think you should dedicate only to play with one type of ship in ranked. I only play with Tashkent and that helped me alot. But hey I only play with dds so...

I fully agree with you. But being in a DD left me wishing for support and BB players that did not set up a campire near the map border. Being in a BB left me wishing for DDs daring to cap or not get killed in 1 minute.

No matter what class I play to fill a gap, i think should be filled, it just seems to open up another tactical gap, that in many cases is filled by no one.

But maybe you guys are right and I should just get a Tashkent and go on an aggro-spree.

Just to be clear: You don't generally disagree with a generally aggressive playstlyle, no matter what type of vessel? For the first few minutes, I mean.

Edited by Doerte

Players
516 posts
2,518 battles

if you're playing cruisers, its common to have 50%

no matter how good you are, you can't carry a team with cruisers

Players
388 posts
5,358 battles

Nothing does matter. I dealt 160k damage by fighting two BBs and a cruiser last ranked, suceeded, but lost it due to the monkey team.
I could tell the whole night how it went today, but..u know..

If you get 40%-50% winrate trashies in your team the game is basically over (except the enemy team has even more than you).

(I take a few minutes  to check after each game for statistics purpose)

It's horrible how WR correlates with players ability (there might be exceptions of course).

[OMNI]
Players
341 posts
7,642 battles

It's horrible how WR correlates with players ability (there might be exceptions of course).

You understand that saying this also means that all the people with 50-ish WR crying "omg I'm best player EU, carry my team so hard but monkey teams throw every game!!" are full of it.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

4 example videos of Ranked Battles: 2nd, 1st and premiere League gameplay with Ognevoi, Kiev and Tashkent:

Where are the videos of the games where you didn't have a favorable matchup and/or your own team didn't stay together and went random? Just like your enemy teams in each vid.

Those enemy teams are exactly those I get into in 2 out of 3 matches atm and what makes ranked a lottery. After the last patch they mixed up the map rotation and reduced Ocean, which is quite easy to play actually. Instead they raised the number of  North games which is a map where you have key spots and locations for each side which can ensure a win. But guess what: That narrow passage in the east is a real magnet for bad players. You have the best example in your How to block B Video.

Sorry Trigger that there is only a third of the reality and everyone can give you replays of good games. But the bad games are taking over the longer the season progresses.

Would like to have seen you win a game where an enemy Benson (!!) managed a double strike after 2:45 mins and sank 2 DDs with 1 torp salvo or your own Atago and Mogami are oneshotted by the same enemy BB after 5 mins. Those where my first games yesterday.

Edited by LilJumpa
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

Where are the videos of the games where you didn't have a favorable matchup and/or your own team didn't stay together and went random? Just like your enemy teams in each vid.

Those enemy teams are exactly those I get into in 2 out of 3 matches atm and what makes ranked a lottery. After the last patch they mixed up the map rotation and reduced Ocean, which is quite easy to play actually. Instead they raised the number of  North games which is a map where you have key spots and locations for each side which can ensure a win. But guess what: That narrow passage in the east is a real magnet for bad players. You have the best example in your How to block B Video.

Sorry Trigger that there is only a third of the reality and everyone can give you replays of good games. But the bad games are taking over the longer the season progresses.

Would like to have seen you win a game where an enemy Benson (!!) managed a double strike after 2:45 mins and sank 2 DDs with 1 torp salvo or your own Atago and Mogami are oneshotted by the same enemy BB after 5 mins. Those where my first games yesterday.

61% winrate in Ranked Battles, 66% winrate with Tashkent, Rank 1 after 131 games. 

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

That's your answer? Do you even read or just try to promote your YT channel?

Gz to rank 1, you had more luck with your teams.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

That's your answer? Do you even read or just try to promote your YT channel?

Gz to rank 1, you had more luck with your teams.

I won more games with the aggressive gunboat tactic than I lost, that was the point of my last answer.

Do you even THINK before answering?

Could be that there are mostly bad teams on both sides now after many good players already reached rank 1 though, true.

Other guys manage to get to rank 1 with 48 % winrate, so basically EVERYONE can reach rank 1, just need some time.....

And why always bash guys who post VIDEOS of how they played instead of posting a WALL of text?

I don't like too much bla bla, sry, so I post videos.

Or I just post nothing anymore, also fine.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Maybe it's because you post your Videos in every thread labeled 'ranked' in at least 2 different language subforums. Maybe it's because I'm a little sour, just like OP, that it is pretty hard to carry 7vs 7 games when some key ships on your team are steered by players who have no clue about any sorts of tactics despite being on the same map  a 100 times. And maybe it's because i'm jealous when I see who has reached rank 1 (referring to that link) while I'm stuck at R2/3 for  5 days now.

Yeah I think before I post. If you feel bashed, which was actually not my intention, well it's probably because you post the same answer multiple times.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

I post videos to show how I played so others can learn a thing or 2 from it.

If the video fits into topics like "Ranked battles from a good player's perspective" or "How to play russian DDs" or "Tashkent - russian tier 8 DD" I posted them there to get the attention of a few more people.

I sometimes spend hours to make the videos, and then only a dozen / hundred guys watch it.

You guys don't like it? 

Fine.

No more videos / posts / in any of the discussion threads in this forum anymore.

There are better ways how I can waste my free time.

Enjoy your text walls.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

Oh god. I'm actually alone here, so no "guys".

Please someone give him some positive reps and negrep my answers....

Beta Tester
98 posts
6,298 battles

Because rankeds are full of professional players ( those are 2 North Carolina sniping ).

rankeds.jpg

Edited by Zuxx

Beta Tester
468 posts
4,945 battles

There is only one reason: RNG. Honestly, I have the same problem as OP. In randoms I managed just over 65% now, in ranked I sunk way down to 58% before reaching rank 1. I was on-track to get to rank 1 in less than 100 ranked games with a winrate of ~70% and got all the way up to rank 4, then I got bogged down, slugged to rank 3, fell down to 6.5, and then had a straight shot to 1, it ended up taking me 183 games. 

It's not my personal performance, I've done 40k AVERAGE damage in my Benson, with at least half of that going to enemy DDs each game for 1.34 kills/game on average. I have over half of all my victories and defeats in the Benson CONFIRMED through screenshots to have me be 1st in exp, even if it is a little bias towards DDs (the exp) it still shows that I've been doing my part.

Opposed to this I have seen several people who had a similar winrate to you in randoms (55-56%) breeze through ranked straight to rank 1 on a 75% winrate! And that is with significantly worse stats than my Benson as well, one guy was averaging like 30k on an Atago and things like that. It's just all RNG, skill does not matter. Ranked is purely quantity over quality, hell there's a guy rank 1 with a winrate below 50% and stats which are nothing short of disastrous (we're talking like 20k average dmg on cruisers).

Once you get out of the carry zone of ranks 18-6 and get into rank 5-1, it's very much RNG whether or not you get the plebs on your team or not and whether or not they are capable of being SO BAD they strip you of hard earned stars.

Beta Tester
872 posts
4,368 battles

Ranked is a lot of luck, you advance if you have a winning streak (players with around 45% wr get to rank 1...)

the most frustrating thing is not having those win streaks, instead win/lose/win/lose... And you are stuck at a rank.

and even playing wery good is not a mean of advancing, i even have a match where at the begining of the game i capped one point, blocked the other and sacrificed myself to kill 4 ships that were contesting this point... And still lose! Yes, my team lose a 6 vs 3 match...

Players
247 posts
7,660 battles

I was having Ranked WR around 58%. After few days of constant loses I got 51%... I reached rank 6 with ease and suddenly, finishing top3 with 2/3 kills I had more than 12 games lost because of stupid accidents: torps "out of nowhere", teamkills (sic!), monkeys camping or refuse to fight. Some were my fault being to aggressive with my Tirpitz but most of those games when I had fallen from 6th rank to 8th was because of atrange people in my team. It feels almost like some artificial intelligence decided YOU SHALL NOT PASS and teams me up with braindeads ;)

Funny thing is having Random WR in last 30 days around 58% as well, my WR dropped to 31% haha

Beta Tester
18 posts
4,027 battles

I post videos to show how I played so others can learn a thing or 2 from it.

If the video fits into topics like "Ranked battles from a good player's perspective" or "How to play russian DDs" or "Tashkent - russian tier 8 DD" I posted them there to get the attention of a few more people.

I sometimes spend hours to make the videos, and then only a dozen / hundred guys watch it.

You guys don't like it? 

Fine.

No more videos / posts / in any of the discussion threads in this forum anymore.

There are better ways how I can waste my free time.

Enjoy your text walls.

I wanna thank you for the videos. I play only with dds ( only Tashkent in recent time) and u show me very nice gameplay and I can learn some stuff from you and your gameplay. Thanks one more time :D p.s If you have more great replays of gunboats fell free to send me replays :D 

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,833 posts
7,286 battles

You have to pull the weight of multiple people if you consistently want to win. People mess up in ranked all the time on your side and the enemy and to consistently win you just have to fill in for the mistakes of your allies. High score or XP doesn't really mean much if you get 2 full caps since that's like what gives you all the XP anyway. Also, it's kinda difficult to do the above-mentioned in cruisers and destroyers because you can't force stuff as much.

Remember that tanking damage is very important too. That is, having enemies shoot at you without you dying too quickly. That buys time for everyone on your team to fight the enemies and can lead to victory.

Edited by Aerroon

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,882 battles

Remember that tanking damage is very important too. That is, having enemies shoot at you without you dying too quickly. That buys time for everyone on your team to fight the enemies and can lead to victory.

That takes a lot of coordination. Since there is no other type of communication than chat (which a lot of people either refuse to use or simply don't know English), tanking just makes you a victim most of the time. Believe me, I play BBs and most of the time I try to be the one to soak up all the damage possible so my team could push and wreck the opponent, but it just ends up being a suicide as most of players (especially at high tiers) are afraid to take any damage.

But, I read in that "friday feedback" topic that the devs said the high tier economy will be "fixed" in 5.2 (which is coming by the end of the year) so lets hope for the best :great:

Sign in to follow this