Sign in to follow this  
Namolis

Help with ranked (R5+)

10 comments in this topic

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

I had some success in ranked for a good while. I lost some, I won some, but generally made my way up the ladder. Prior to the top bracket, I often felt I could carry the team. And that persisted right up to the point when I had one star left on rank 3. Then my fortunes turned. In my last 20 games, I lose five or six for every one I win. Now, I understand that you occasionally get stronger or weaker teams and that randomness sometimes influence things either way, but this is starting to move beyond just that and into statistical significance. Clearly, I'm doing something wrong.

Now, the way I see it, R5-1 is a destroyer game. Clearly, most players get that (seems to be 3-5 destroyers each game). A battleship can do some things, but it takes way too long. The few cruisers around seems to be players good enough to make a difference, so they'll rarely give me a chance to kill them. Unfortunately, I don't have a destroyer to use (and I'm no good with them anyway), so I'm stuck playing battleships.

So my question is: how can you succeed with a battleship in R5+?

Players
406 posts
6,492 battles

Keep trying or leave it at 5.

There's no advice, as it's mainly "luck" which teams get more lowperformer. (luck=MM mechanics try to force you to 50%)

Beta Tester
468 posts
5,440 battles

I often felt I could carry the team.

Stop feeling/thinking this and just accept you're in it for the long run and at the mercy of RNGezus. All you can do is do your job above-average for the rank, and EVENTUALLY you will get there, but how long it will take exactly is all up to RNG. I was on-course to get from rank 13 to rank 1 in less than 100 battles at one point, it ended up taking 183 in total, so double of what I hoped for. But I got there, because of persistence. RNG can't screw you over ALL the time, and eventually you will break through.

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

Keep trying or leave it at 5.

There's no advice, as it's mainly "luck" which teams get more lowperformer. (luck=MM mechanics try to force you to 50%)

Is it though? Is that something you know, or just something you suspect?

Stop feeling/thinking this and just accept you're in it for the long run and at the mercy of RNGezus. All you can do is do your job above-average for the rank, and EVENTUALLY you will get there, but how long it will take exactly is all up to RNG. I was on-course to get from rank 13 to rank 1 in less than 100 battles at one point, it ended up taking 183 in total, so double of what I hoped for. But I got there, because of persistence. RNG can't screw you over ALL the time, and eventually you will break through.

Yeah, I guess. You do get that bonus star every rank up, so you should pull ahead eventually on randomness alone if you can keep 50% WR. But I haven't achieved even that for a while now, and I want to be able to contribute to my team and support my destroyers as a battleship. When I play Ocean, I feel like I can contribute. On North, I'm a spectator, I can't do anything to or from (if the destroyers win we win, if the destroyers lose, we lose). Land of Fire is a bit in the middle, I can contribute some of the time, but not all of the time.

So what I'm basically looking for is if someone has come up with some strategy on those two maps to make a difference as a battleship (and especially North).

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

Since I finally punched my way through the glass ceiling, I can state a few points about what I learned about being a BB in ranked; such as it is and in no particular order.

1) I hate ranked. Playing all day and ending up worse than when you started is such a soul-crushing experience.

2) New Mexico over Fuso. NM has better armor, and lets you tank, and it's much better to dodge torpedoes with. This matters much more in ranked than random, since you have less players to rely on tanking for you.

3) North Carolina over Amagi - 100% - for much the same reasons you want the NM over Fuso. I've stated on these forums before how much I love the NC; even so I was a bit surprised at how much of an improvement it was to move from Amagi to NC (I did once I'd finished grinding for the Izumo). NC does have a very slow muzzle velocity (701 m/s, which I think is just about the slowest in the game), so, as always with this ship, that takes some getting used to. The shots are heavy, however, so they won't lose as much speed over distance and should have better penetration at extreme range. The NC has one less gun, but higher damage per gun, so the average dpm isn't that much worse. Six guns forward is better than four when you angle. Secondaries are worse, but made up for by the American spread that is just outright better than the Japanese one for ranked: You have "worse" spread at long range, but that can almost be an advantage in r5+ because your enemies tend wiggle around like worms and covering a larger area guarantees some hits every now and then. Your close spread is much tighter and more reliable. You also have a significantly smaller turning circle, so you can dodge torpedoes more easily. The improvement in AA is just gravy for those rare occasions when a CV shows up.

4) I saw people doing OK for themselves in Tirpitzes, but generally I wasn't too afraid of those things. I don't have one, so I can't really say how it would be to play one.

5) Forget about the T7 battleships. They get murdered. Plus, you team will just end up being "compensated" with the enemy getting a Kiev.

6) Your primary job is to keep your destroyers alive. If your destroyers die first, your team loses, if they can kill the enemy destroyers first, your team wins. Make sure you know what your destroyers are thinking so you can help them and don't be afraid to ask. Destroyers take a lot of skill to take full advantage of (speaking as a failed DD captain here), but most players in R5+ know their stuff, so in R5+ I saw more DDs than in the R10-R6 bracket. Now; how you accomplish this depends on the situation. Sure, it's great if the enemy CA allows you to give him double citadels, but mostly you shouldn't count on that. Shoot at what you can and prioritize targets threatening your destroyers. Giving two AP overpens to a Benson or Fubuki takes more of their health than a citadel does to a NC.

7) I hate ranked.

8) Know where your enemies are. Those BBs are mostly spotted, so that leaves only ~5 other ships (that you need to keep track of) that might be blinking in and out of view. Not an impossible task.

9) Ping the map when you see something. Those DDs closer by may be in a death duel already, and not paying attention to the map.

10) Consider packing a scout. Not really for the range, but for players who go stationary behind islands.

11) On Ocean, talk to people and get all 7 players to go for one objective. I see DDs having the idea that they can snipe someone at the other cap, but more often they get overwhelmed, die and leave the team one hand short and 100 points behind.

12) On Land of Fire, the top goes for B and the bottom goes for A. Pay attention to the islands and don't go too close before you turn. Enemies can be everywhere.

13) On North, you're a spectator initially. Mostly, the match is won or lost before you can really impact it. B has really harsh terrain for shooting, so I tend to stay around A if there is any action going on there at all. Both caps will get you torpedoed. Patience is a virtue. I'll be perfectly honest: I never really figured out a good way to play North in ranked.

14) Play random if you just want to relax after a long day. You'll just end up harming your progress.

15) I hate ranked.

• Cool 1

Players
2,129 posts
13,026 battles

I'm hovering around rank 5 / rank 6 as a DD captain. 

Guess I make too many mistakes eg. have to learn all the small details of the maps and get punished for it.

Its frustrating, since progress to rank 5 was fast and easy.

13) On North, you're a spectator initially. Mostly, the match is won or lost before you can really impact it. B has really harsh terrain for shooting, so I tend to stay around A if there is any action going on there at all. Both caps will get you torpedoed. Patience is a virtue. I'll be perfectly honest: I never really figured out a good way to play North in ranked.

I hate North too. It impossible for ships at one cap to support ships at the other, unless they are the south team.
(who can only partially do it). I consider this is map unbalanced in favour of the south team for this reason, and because the south team holds all the cards for getting ahead on capture points, see below. 

They can deny the only 2 spots at A the north-team can use to cap while using the small islands between a and b to cap themselves. At the same time one dd with CA support can prevent cap of B for the longest time. 

Unless the north team sends a Kiev to B to take the 1v1:izmena:

Players
1,677 posts
12,951 battles

I started the second season with Cleveland, and later Königsberg, and failed really hard. Had to fight a long way up the ladder with Kongou (since I sold my Fusou some while ago) but managed to get to Rank 10 thanks to Kongou's maneuverability and firing range. From hereon I played a lot with my all-time favourite vessel, Nagato. But soon I realised that BB playstyle has changed a lot, especially due to Tier VIII I think, adding fast battleships North Carolina and Amagi.

So now I reached Rank 5 by only playing Amagi, Rank 7 and 6 being the hardest obstacles I ever faced (in every 4th star battle, my Teams refused to communicate). I think I will leave the ladder at Rank 5 and keep it as a nice memory. Next season, we all may have more and different ships, facing new challenges and playstyle.

All in all, I still enjoyed the ranked season a lot. I like the challenge itself, the rewards for climbing up, the anger of falling down.

[WGP2W]
Players
748 posts
15,000 battles

I'm hovering around rank 5 / rank 6 as a DD captain. 

Guess I make too many mistakes eg. have to learn all the small details of the maps and get punished for it.

Its frustrating, since progress to rank 5 was fast and easy.

I hate North too. It impossible for ships at one cap to support ships at the other, unless they are the south team.

(who can only partially do it). I consider this is map unbalanced in favour of the south team for this reason, and because the south team holds all the cards for getting ahead on capture points, see below. 

They can deny the only 2 spots at A the north-team can use to cap while using the small islands between a and b to cap themselves. At the same time one dd with CA support can prevent cap of B for the longest time. 

Unless the north team sends a Kiev to B to take the 1v1:izmena:

Yeah, North is pretty unbalanced. Then again, so is Land of Fire, but getting the islands can be something of a mixed blessing imo. Even if they in theory give you cover, I've seen so many players run aground in there.

I started the second season with Cleveland, and later Königsberg, and failed really hard. Had to fight a long way up the ladder with Kongou (since I sold my Fusou some while ago) but managed to get to Rank 10 thanks to Kongou's maneuverability and firing range. From hereon I played a lot with my all-time favourite vessel, Nagato. But soon I realised that BB playstyle has changed a lot, especially due to Tier VIII I think, adding fast battleships North Carolina and Amagi.

So now I reached Rank 5 by only playing Amagi, Rank 7 and 6 being the hardest obstacles I ever faced (in every 4th star battle, my Teams refused to communicate). I think I will leave the ladder at Rank 5 and keep it as a nice memory. Next season, we all may have more and different ships, facing new challenges and playstyle.

All in all, I still enjoyed the ranked season a lot. I like the challenge itself, the rewards for climbing up, the anger of falling down.

Good call. R5 and up is just pure agony... :(

Players
2,129 posts
13,026 battles

Yeah, North is pretty unbalanced. Then again, so is Land of Fire, but getting the islands can be something of a mixed blessing imo. Even if they in theory give you cover, I've seen so many players run aground in there.

Good call. R5 and up is just pure agony... :(

20 games and still where i started, bottom rank 5.

Guess I'll call it quites and chill around leveling my Tashkent for the next ranked season.

About those islands....Sure some people run aground there, but often it is cruisers camping around there.

Maybe you can camp with a BB  too unless there are IJN dds in play. Any other DDs will have trouble getting torps that far.

Players
695 posts

Well to give a few hints.

1) HE are your friend.

- People in R5+ are generally too good at angling and wiggling to land good citadel shots.

- Furthermore typical enemies you will face are:

2 BBs - angled and far, so AP have rather low damage average

3-4 DDs - HE are obvious choice

1 maybe 2 CA, where AP could work.

- also rankeds tend to be a bit more organized - and HE benefits from that. If you focus fire with 3-4 ships, there is no way for him to control the fires. If you shoot alone you get 4 salvos between his repairs - which means there is a decent chance you wont reignite him. With multiple people the chance is very low. They WILL burn.

So the DEFAULT ammo should be HE. That of course doesnt mean AP cant be used - if their BBs decide to brawl, if you see you will get a good broadside hit, go for it.

2) BBs are generally very equal. I personally like Amagi best, my bro likes NC, and im sure many many people will claim Tirpitzes are the best. For me it simply means BBs are balanced. Ive seen good players do well in T7 BBs, but i honestly discourage it. Both Nagato and Colorado armor seem very inferior to a WELL angled t8 ship. Dont get me wrong, Colorado especially has very think and good armor, thats FORGIVING. But if you angle correctly NC will simply outperform it even in armor department - while having better guns and more HP. 

3) Be careful when dodging torpedoes. VERY often its better to eat a torp (and very often just one) from a long range spread of fubuki - with reduction from bulges etc its 10k or so hp, then to turn and present lovely broadside to the 2 BBs you are dueling with. They will punish you much harder. That has a caveat however - if you are being burned and your repair is on CD, adding a flood that you cant repair is a very bad prospect. But if you have repair handy, and you are in AP duel with other BB, consider just "man moding" the torp :) (angle just enough to not get hit by multiple etc).

4) "Pay to win" rank 1. This is obviously exaggeration, you can reach it with any ship, and Atago is not invincible. But relatively to possible opponents, Atago is the single outlier. Its basically a t9 ship at t8 (in fact its better then Ibuki due to better torps and camo). It has at least 50% hp advantage over opponents, close to double vs US ships, with modules can have lower detect radius then tashkient without. I mention it because I actually dislike the fact its so good - I dont think paid ship should help you get rank 1. 

Added: One thing people tend to do when they pick tier 7 BBs and try to defend their picks, is focusing on BB vs BB fights. Its true Nagato can somewhat stand to Amagi - possibly better armor vs 2 more guns etc etc. But tier 7 BBs are MUCH worse when you meet any other ship.

CVs although rare sometimes can occur in rankeds - and Nagato is just free floating pinata for them. Colorado can do slightly better here, but still tends to die much more easily - remember its also SLOW so a much easier target. 

DDs obviously benefit a lot from the ultra-slow Colorado or very average speed Nagato. Still you can usually dodge torps from the range you are shot at - but its something to consider.

Ironically its the cruisers that are bane of Colorado/Nagato in ranked. HE spam does average damage vs tier 8 - nothing to ignore for the BBs. But tier 7 get obliterated by t8 cruisers. In my Atago i tend to do a minimum 6-7k per HE salvo vs colorado - compared to 3-4k vs NC. Add to that lower hp pool and higher chance to catch fire and you see the picture.

Edited by Poster_2015
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this