Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Brynd

Our End of Year In-Game Contest is Live!

14 comments in this topic

Players
202 posts
74 battles

Season's Greetings, Captains! :honoring:

Just wanted to quickly notify you that our in-game contest for our end of year celebrations is now live. To enter, you don't even need to do anything! (Though there are a few optional things you can do to win random prizes.)

Anyhow, check out all the details in the article.

[TTT]
[TTT]
Sailing Hamster, Players, Privateer
3,785 posts
15,991 battles

Yay!

doesn't this belong into the contests section?

Players
202 posts
74 battles

Yay!

doesn't this belong into the contests section?

Because I wanted to. No no just that, there's already a thread in that forum for submissions and I didn't want to make it confusing. This is just an announcement... in the announcement forum. 

Beta Tester
139 posts
5,740 battles

Hi Brynd,

Is there any particular reason WG NA has the same competition but way better prizes and more prizes as well, including separate competitions for lower tier ships?

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/60952-in-game-competition-win-a-tirptiz-1211-1213/page__p__1490649#entry1490649

Are Wargaming NA breaking some rules that you're choosing to follow? If not, why can't WG EU be as generous?

Players
464 posts

wow nice competition! looking forward to this.

also brynd can you look into my support ticket so i don't have to deal with automated replies from bots, thanks

i would say the severity of this case is something you should look into because i don't think losing customers is a good thing

ticket id 1335730

Edited by anonym_gCiyicUsNYGl

Players
202 posts
74 battles

Hi Brynd,

Is there any particular reason WG NA has the same competition but way better prizes and more prizes as well, including separate competitions for lower tier ships?

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/60952-in-game-competition-win-a-tirptiz-1211-1213/page__p__1490649#entry1490649

Are Wargaming NA breaking some rules that you're choosing to follow? If not, why can't WG EU be as generous?

For a start, without looking at their contest - since we both come up with our contests independently, I would be very surprised if they were "the same competition."  

OK, I just had a look - what exactly is the same about it?  They are giving away 10 Tirpitz, we are giving away 10 Kitakami, 10 Tirpitz, 10 Fujin, 110 Marbleheads, Italeri Bismarck models, Razer Kraken headsets... and more. So no, it doesn't look comparable to me.

Now I am sure they probably do have a different contest with better prizes than we do - as they often do - but this isn't the case with the contest you've given as the example.

wow nice competition! looking forward to this.

also brynd can you look into my support ticket so i don't have to deal with automated replies from bots, thanks

i would say the severity of this case is something you should look into because i don't think losing customers is a good thing

ticket id 1335730

Hey! Sorry I do not personally deal with customer support tickets. However I wish you luck with having your ticket resolved soon. :honoring:
  • Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,636 posts

They are giving away 10 Tirpitz, we are giving away 10 Kitakami, 10 Tirpitz, 110 Marbleheads, Italeri Bismarck models, Razer Kraken headsets... and more. So no, it doesn't look comparable to me.

However, their competition is in the "mid-tier" region, spread out across all tiers, with seperate rankings per tier. Here it's per class, without tier restriction, with an additional contest in terms of raw damage.

There is no way someone in a Omaha can compete with someone in a Des Moines (in terms of XP as well as points of damage), thus you've succesfully (albeit unintentionally I hope) eliminated a major part of the players from competing for the top spots, purely because of the lack of tier restriction/separation.

The EU competitions (again) highly favours the highest tier players*. Also the NA-competition was "just" a weekend competition, this the "the end of the year competition", with a way longer running time (2 days <-> a small month). Their weekend competition is roughly equal in impact as our regular contests, but the EU just gets 3000/2000/1000Doubloons for the first three victors, and that's it.

(* and we all know those contests can be rigged easily, when a division or a clan logs on in the absolute down-hours, and create a custom match to donate as much damage to one player... It's not the first time that has happened)

EDIT: on a sidenote: how does the "50 at random Marblehead giveway" work? You have to be active on the forums in general? Or post in a specific thread? or?

Edited by MrFingers

Players
202 posts
74 battles

However, their competition is in the "mid-tier" region, spread out across all tiers, with seperate rankings per tier. Here it's per class, without tier restriction, with an additional contest in terms of raw damage.

I am sure they will always win in comparisons. We've discussed this before, but the regional offices run quite independently in this regard and there's nothing I can do about that. It's unfortunate that our effort to give stuff away at the end of year is overshadowed yet again to the point where people seem to not appreciate ours. But... c'est la vie.

But just to note, there's no "additional contest in terms of raw damage" in EU.    We have a creative contest, and an in-game contest with prizes for each non-premium Nation/Ship Type category.   The additional part of the in-game contest is a random giveaway that requires nothing more than posting a screenshot on Facebook or the forum.

EDIT: on a sidenote: how does the "50 at random Marblehead giveway" work? You have to be active on the forums in general? Or post in a specific thread? or?

It's in the article, but you just post your favourite in-game screenshot as a reply to the dedicated forum thread or Facebook status update.

[HOO]
2,636 posts

But just to note, there's no "additional contest in terms of raw damage" in EU.

iSFE5c6.png

Seems there is, some sort...

It's unfortunate that our effort to give stuff away at the end of year is overshadowed yet again to the point where people seem to not appreciate ours. But... c'est la vie.

Oh, it's not that we are ungrateful for it, not at all (every contest or giveaway is embraced with open arms), that's something you can't say, because it's not true. It's just that... how shall I put it: "A for effort, D for execution (currently)". The prizepool is very nice, the contest is, although not original, doable and enjoyable. However there are some loopholes and flaws in it. You market the End of the Year-contest to all players (new and old, from Tier I to Tier X), yet the requirements say: "gain as much XP as possible", and if you wish to compete for the hardware: "gain the most XP, and gain the most damage". What would you think a lower-tiered player think of that? He's gladly invited to partake in a contest, but the requirements basically eliminated him from the real competition before he even started up his client. All he can do is post a screenshot of a battle, and hope his screenshot and/or story was good enough to win a Marblehead*. Also since the requirements state that it is with raw damage and XP, you'll know there are some people who will exploit it, by having friends log in on the wee hours of the day, and sabotage the match. It has happened before, and it still happens. I have no suggestion how that can be solved, but it is something that has to be taken seriously.

(*I would totally want a Marblehead, don't be mistaken!)

I understand there is a tier-restriction downward, to prevent very experienced players sealclub every lowtier match, and feast on the least experienced players, but from Tier IV, it's just let loose. My suggestion would be that it would have been split up in Tiers (like the NA did), or Tier intervals, allowing even low-tier players to compete in their own competition. That simple measure would allow virtually all players to compete in your contests. Or instead of "raw damage numbers", why not use the "highest percentage of total HP of the enemy team". That would even out things as well. In a lower-tiered battle, you've done awesome with 150k damage done, because the total healthpool is only 300k. In a top-tier match, they'll mock you with 150k, because the total healthpool is 1M. See what I mean? Don't see it as criticism, but as constructive feedback.

It's in the article, but you just post your favourite in-game screenshot as a reply to the dedicated forum thread or Facebook status update.

It wasn't entirely clear to me, thanks for the heads up, greatly appreciated. :)

• Cool 1

Players
202 posts
74 battles

Aha okay, my bad, this was a last minute extra addition and not part of our original plan. They're not really on my mind when I think of this contest. :)

Oh, it's not that we are ungrateful for it, not at all (every contest or giveaway is embraced with open arms), that's something you can't say, because it's not true. It's just that... how shall I put it: "A for effort, D for execution (currently)". The prizepool is very nice, the contest is, although not original, doable and enjoyable. However there are some loopholes and flaws in it. You market the End of the Year-contest to all players (new and old, from Tier I to Tier X), yet the requirements say: "gain as much XP as possible", and if you wish to compete for the hardware: "gain the most XP, and gain the most damage". What would you think a lower-tiered player think of that? He's gladly invited to partake in a contest, but the requirements basically eliminated him from the real competition before he even started up his client. All he can do is post a screenshot of a battle, and hope his screenshot and/or story was good enough to win a Marblehead*. Also since the requirements state that it is with raw damage and XP, you'll know there are some people who will exploit it, by having friends log in on the wee hours of the day, and sabotage the match. It has happened before, and it still happens. I have no suggestion how that can be solved, but it is something that has to be taken seriously.

I understand there is a tier-restriction downward, to prevent very experienced players sealclub every lowtier match, and feast on the least experienced players, but from Tier IV, it's just let loose. My suggestion would be that it would have been split up in Tiers (like the NA did), or Tier intervals, allowing even low-tier players to compete in their own competition. That simple measure would allow virtually all players to compete in your contests. Or instead of "raw damage numbers", why not use the "highest percentage of total HP of the enemy team". That would even out things as well. In a lower-tiered battle, you've done awesome with 150k damage done, because the total healthpool is only 300k. In a top-tier match, they'll mock you with 150k, because the total healthpool is 1M. See what I mean? Don't see it as criticism, but as constructive feedback.

At the time of planning, it seemed to me that the skill based contest was going to be the one that skilled players would go for - then the random giveaways was a way to allow non-skilled players a chance to get something. This to me still seems a good plan. But I do see your point about tiers and I realise not every skilled player is in the higher tiers, often by choice. It might be a long time before we do a contest on this level, but if I have anything to do with it, I will bring up your point.

The random screenshot contest is completely random. I think we've failed to communicate this well as I'm seeing others confused by this.

You market the End of the Year-contest to all players (new and old, from Tier I to Tier X), yet the requirements say:

I can't see where we've explicitly marketed it in this way - not the article from my quick skim read. But it's true though as anyone can at least win a random prize, even if higher tier skilled players will be claiming the skill based prizes.

[HOO]
2,636 posts

Glad to hear the concerns are understood :).

I can't see where we've explicitly marketed it in this way - not the article from my quick skim read. But it's true though as anyone can at least win a random prize, even if higher tier skilled players will be claiming the skill based prizes.

It's not explicit in those words, but it does pop up on the facebook and the in-game launcher. So I try to place myself in the shoes of a very novice player, who sees: "ah, a contest for the end of the year, let's see what I can do for it", only to be see that he's not (yet) qualified to partake in the main body of the contest, because he didn't reach the competitive tiers yet. I know Tier IV can be reached fairly quick, but as a Tier IV, you can't compete for the main prizes.

Players
202 posts
74 battles

Glad to hear the concerns are understood :).

It's not explicit in those words, but it does pop up on the facebook and the in-game launcher. So I try to place myself in the shoes of a very novice player, who sees: "ah, a contest for the end of the year, let's see what I can do for it", only to be see that he's not (yet) qualified to partake in the main body of the contest, because he didn't reach the competitive tiers yet. I know Tier IV can be reached fairly quick, but as a Tier IV, you can't compete for the main prizes.

OK, well I totally understand that concern and take it on board, even if we're unable to make changes for this time around.

Players
26 posts

iSFE5c6.png

It wasn't entirely clear to me, thanks for the heads up, greatly appreciated. :)

Agree completely with this.

I've just reached tier three and, while I'm glad that you took the time to create this competition, I cannot express with words how disappointing it is to yet again see a competition that so obviously favours tier eight and above. It's the same with World of Tanks - why even bother trying when you're only driving tier three and four?

It's the same with the Emden competition. Why limit it to Rank 10 (is that even avaliable? I only see 8 ranks in my profile)? Why may noobs not compete for that ship?

I don't want to seem ungrateful here, but as a noob you really don't feel welcome here when all the competitions are so obviously geared for the high tier players. And that goes for both World of Warships and World of Tanks. 

• Cool 1