Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Stugga

Spotting mechanism has a major flaw

6 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
266 posts
8,096 battles

Hi all,

I was playing my DDs recently and I got to have a couple of DDs that can "invisible fire". I noticed that at some points I was getting spotted while I shouldn't and so I started paying closer attention to it trying to reproduce the "incident".

Eventually I came up with the following (giving an example):

I invis. fire with my farragut and SIMS from 11,2+ km away.... say from 13km, while I close up to the enemy ships. I stop firing at 11,5km (example) to reposition myself and even if my last shots were made at 11,5+ km I get detected if I get closer to the enemy ships while my shells are on the air. Meaning, the spotting mechanism is not about WHEN YOU FIRE, but WHILE YOUR SHELLS ARE ON THE AIR.

The same can be valid for when you fire behind an island (and so you are not spotted) but while your shells are on the air you go around the corner of the island and so you get spotted.

Needless to say that the ships (esp. DDs) that have the longer shell travel time have the greatest disadvantage if this mechanism is true.

Note: I'm not US DD biased (DDs with longer shell travel time), I play all DDs, all nations, in fact I play all ships, all nations. This post is all about game mechanisms. Anyway,

That's a fundamental flaw in the spotting mechanism and if "it works as intended" at least WG must confirm (or deny) it, so that players know better about this mechanism.

Hope I helped,

Kind regards,

Stugga

Edited by Stugga

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

It's actually not a bug and has nothing to do with shells in the air.

When you fire your main armament your concealment values get raised by a fix amount for 20secs (e.g. +3.8km for japanese DDs) Those numbers differ by class and nation.

[S03G]
Players
49 posts
10,163 battles

The penalty to detection range after firing lasts iirc 20secs, as mentioned in the sticky post about spotting in the newcomers section.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
266 posts
8,096 battles

LilJumpa,

SIMS and Farragut have 7,3km detectability (if you add a 3% detectability camo). The +3,8km detectability when you fire (=11,1 - 11,2km as I said) is INCLUDED in the detectability calculation.

I did say 11,2km when I fire, not 7,3km.

Beta Tester
266 posts
8,096 battles

The penalty to detection range after firing lasts iirc 20secs, as mentioned in the sticky post about spotting in the newcomers section.

I didn't know about that, even though I've read that section 2 times lol. Then it works as intended I guess.

Edit: It is stated there, so I stand corrected,

Edit 2: And LilJumpa also stated the 20 sec duration, so I stand corrected regarding him as well.

Edited by Stugga

Sign in to follow this