Sign in to follow this  
StringWitch

Can overpenetrating shots damage other ships?

4 comments in this topic

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts

Like how ricocheted shells can still damage other tanks in WOT, can an overpenetrating shell still explode on or enter another ship behind the target?

[HOME]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,999 posts
7,180 battles

From wiki regarding ricochets:  "A shell may still cause damage after the ricochet, but only to the same ship."

But you asked whether shell can damage other ships after overpen. Honestly no idea and I have never heard nor seen any evidence about that kind of mechanic ingame.

Some speculation for real life situation:

At long ranges the shell dives at such an angle that it may exit into water after overpen. With pure thinking (no real knowledge) at very close distance you maybe could get the shell trough non armored bow so that it exits with flat trajectory... If we somehow get the shell to overpen and exit the first ship so that it can actually hit the other, we need to answer some questions. What is the distance between ships, what kind of armor and dimensions those ships have etc. But this time I will remember the most precious thing with AP shell: the goddamned fuze.

So if the shell gets trough the first ship, the important question is what happened to the fuze during overpen? Was the armor so thin that it didn't even arm? Or did it arm but the shell still just pushed trough before exploding? If I'm not wrong, the shell might just explode in the air in latter situation, depending on the distance between the two ships. In former situation though... I'm not sure what could happen. Could the fuze still arm if the second hit conditions are right?

And the next poster will be EsaTuunanen cleaning up my misinformation :P:hiding:

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Could the fuze still arm if the second hit conditions are right?

APs used base fuse so it would definitely survive overpenning of as many light targets as it would take to completely stop shell.

It's entirely different question if behavior of overpenning/ricocheting shell is modeled in game.

Though with lot bigger distances between ships than tanks in WoT I think we can discard possibility of shell bouncing from angled strong enough armor hitting another ship.

Also overpenning scenario would require ships to be side by side very close for first ship activated fuze to detonate shell at second ship.

[WG-EU]
WG Team
419 posts
1,286 battles

Like how ricocheted shells can still damage other tanks in WOT, can an overpenetrating shell still explode on or enter another ship behind the target?

It's not possible for an overpenetrating shell to damage another ship in the game.
  • Cool 2

Sign in to follow this