Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Andreevson

Blank shots?

3 comments in this topic

Players
580 posts
1,135 battles

There is a problem I noticed when I started playing with my Kongo and after that when I transferred to the Fuso.

Some of the shells that i fire seem to be blanks. Now, I only shoot AP with the battleships and I (supposedly) know about the armor mechanics and how angling affects it. But when I hit an enemy BB with my fuso at a great ranges ( 15-20 Km ) With 4 plunging fire AP shells and I see them going trough their wooden decks, then being absorbed like some sort water drops being absorbed by a sponge, I tend to get a bit angry. Shooting at close to 20km aint an easy task and a plunging hit should be rewarding, except it deals no damage. Again, I see no ricochets off the armor and my shells either fly into the superstructure or the wooden decks, yet they do no damage.

Is there a reason to this and can anybody explain what is going on under the hood?

Players
29 posts
543 battles

Happened way less in the US line, but most of the time i get many minimal damage rolls and no damage rolls. I guess it could be that the shells did not really hit anything valuable. I noticed though that shells tend to do no damage / minimal damage when hitting bow / stern. Best rolls happen on the center of the ship (ideally wrecking things on the ship itself).

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

But when I hit an enemy BB with my fuso at a great ranges ( 15-20 Km ) With 4 plunging fire AP shells

Hardly plunging fire with only 12 degree falling angle at 15km.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_14-45_t41.htm

With that 510 m/s speed stronger deck armor might be able to bounce them.

Here are penetration figures for US 14" gun of New Mexico.

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_14-50_mk11.htm

I noticed though that shells tend to do no damage / minimal damage when hitting bow / stern.

Bow and stern are mostly quite lightly armored so BB APs might easily overpen those.

Sign in to follow this