Sign in to follow this  
Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu

BB Mikasa

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
370 posts
7,306 battles

I really wanted to enjoy this ship, I grabbed the Mikasa when she was on sale recently because I quite like the Mikasa and it's nice to finally see it ingame, and also because I thought it would be a cool little ship to play if I ever fancy messing around at lower tiers or playing at low with any mates that may join.

Overall it seems like a pretty good ship, I find it to be very tough and the secondary battery works quite well too. While it is a bit slow, as is to be expected, the above average turn rates on the turrets are a nice addition.

I do think, however, that the main guns themselves are utterly useless, which strips basically all enjoyment that could be had from the ship. The accuracy combined with the fact you only have 4 shots to fire every 30 seconds makes it almost impossible to actually do any damage with this ship, and the only equipment slot available on the Mikasa is slot one, so nothing you can do there. I've fired multiple salvos at ships only 3km away and had all 4 shots miss, even when they do hit they don't do that much damage. Maximum HE damage of a salvo is 20,400 which is every 30 seconds (and entirely unrealistic, you never hit with all 4 shots, it can be hard to hit with even 1.) compared to even the Erie which can do Max. 8,800 HE damage per salvo, every 7 seconds, that's 35,200 damage that can be done in 30 seconds, with considerably better accuracy (99m vs 147m), better fire chance per minute (36*12% = 3.8 fires vs 8*29% = 2.3 fires) and even fractionally better range (9.6km vs 9.5km), and this is me comparing the main battery of the Erie.

Of course, Mikasa gets better performance from its AP shells in terms of actual damage application, but the AP still suffers the same accuracy problems as HE does. At least Mikasa has its impressive secondary battery ontop of her main batttery; 7 5" guns and 9 3" guns per side, though with only a 3km range. But this brings me back to the original issue, getting kills just because of the secondary battery isn't fun, nor is it fun trying to deal damage with the mediocre guns. Smart players know to stay away from your secondary battery, leaving you with only the awful main guns for protection.

I'd be happier if the secondary battery of the Mikasa was nerfed so that either the rate of fire or accuracy of the main battery was buffed, even if only to give more of the ships power to the player instead of being a ship that relies on auto firing secondary battery to have a major impact. If you try to stay back and your secondary battery isn't involved in a fight then you're not going to contribute very much at all unless you can somehow get a few effective AP hits in.

TLDR; Most of Mikasas firepower is in secondary battery with weak main guns making it boring to play.

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Did you bother reading any review before buying the ship? It's a total turd which was only sold in EU and then deemed too shitty to be sold in RU and SEA and given literally for the price of an stamp in NA server.

You got shafted. Before buying any premium ship at least watch a review beforehand in youtube.

• Cool 1

[HNS]
Players
726 posts
10,008 battles

Hello. You are mostly right about the Mikasa, however there is a thread already about the ship:

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/24953-mikasa/

...and another one on Reddit with even more info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/3v08p3/buyers_beware_mikasa/

[AXIS]
Beta Tester
4,070 posts
17,316 battles

Why would you buy that crap, and in a bundle, no more no less?!

• Cool 1

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

Caveat Emptor

When it's common knowledge that WGs virtual ships are hugely variable in capabilities, why do you buy one just because you like it?

370 posts
7,306 battles

People moaning about the bundle? After the value of the gold I would have bought anyway the ship itself was only like £3, and now I own it in case it ever does get buffed in future.

Besides, I don't regret buying it because I don't think this is actually a bad ship, she just cant hit anything with her main guns. If you don't let that frustrate you and you play to her strengths she performs pretty well, my point was that that method isn't necessarily fun.

[BABBY]
Beta Tester
1,403 posts

I have the ship too, because I like premiums with a unique aspect to them even if they're godawful (still pretty fond of my TOG back in World of Artillery). Mikasa is a pre-dreadnought, and it doesn't and shouldn't play like any of the other battleships currently in-game. I would certainly not want to see any future buffs come with a nerf to the secondaries in any way. The whole ethos of the ship from a game-balancing perspective should be weaker primaries (which it certainly has) and... strong secondaries, which it does have in terms of the number of guns and their calibre, but not in actual ability to hit fifty barns lined up together from further than 100 yards. The 6" secondaries should have a 5-6km range and the accuracy to land something like 10000 theoretical DPM into a designated target at that range, and effectively be the main armament versus most targets Mikasa fights, as these happen to be the cruisers which such a battery was intended to combat. The main batteries could do with a 20 second reload and/or much better accuracy, possibly in addition to such a 6" battery buff.

Edited by StringWitch
  • Cool 1

370 posts
7,306 battles

I'd think making the main guns more effective (like maybe able to hit with more than 2 shells a minute, either through RoF or accuracy buff) would be enough of a increase, the secondaries are already effective enough by secondary standards to anyone daft enough to come that close, especially not . The difference, for a target at close range, between being punished and being outright destroyed should be the Mikasa players ability with the main guns, because at the moment an enemy can consider themselves unlucky if they get hit by 2 shells from the same salvo when within 2km, the guns just add nothing. As a dreadnought, the Mikasa already doesn't play like other higher tier BBs because it has so few main guns and such poor range, but most of the time those main guns don't actually do anything at all.

But, people who like the Mikasa because she is a BB should get to fire the main guns and get some results, they shouldn't just be there for show, they don't even do that much damage or penetrate very well. It's a real shame because it's a very nice ship and my other T2 premiums at least contribute to the battle, I expected Mikasa to be pretty weak as the only T2 BB but I didn't expect it to have main guns that feel nerfed to uselessness because it has a secondary battery which is actually quite effective, if I'd had to choose I'd rather have better main guns than secondary battery because I at least get to control the main guns, the satisfaction of dealing damage can be mine, not the result of RNG AI guns with 3km range.

Players
63 posts
2,482 battles

Very fun ship, it's secondaries are wonderful to watch firing, being in a close range duel with a tier 3 BB(which often gets demolished) or with multiple ships surrounding you. FUN FUN FUN. DD's get destroyed if they dare approach much and linger a little. Main guns aren't that bad, they are damage multipliers for close range and the I-HAVE-SOMETHING-TO-DO-WHILE-CHARGING. It's armor it's decent, and turns well. Being not so fast is good, because if you are in a tier III match, you want the other BB to catch the enemies attention...then, if you manage to close in they are on for a very nasty surprise, just angle yourself and see the enemy HP evaporate in seconds. Positioning with it, so you can close in enemies is very important, as is angling. The worst foe are fast-firing-cruisers. They make you burn bad, thought your main battery has some decent accuracy (just aim a little to the side, your shells then one to go left, the other right, so you have one hit every two shells fired). 

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
88 posts
4,154 battles

It's a total turd which was only sold in EU and then deemed too shitty to be sold in RU and SEA and given literally for the price of an stamp in NA server.

Which it doesn't need to be. It only fires 4 shots every 30 seconds and the secondaries are, although fun, still a very unreliable damage-source due to the attributes of the ship (speed, range), so there is absolutely zero harm in buffing the accuracy to make it useful.

It's still worth it despite the primary's uselessness. Just get into a division and find a choke-point. Me and a friend demolished an entire enemy fleet just a few days, mostly purely by secondary damage and in the end, we only died because we got troped by friendlies. I love this ship, despite it's flaws. Plus it's sexy.

Edited by MadnerKami
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this