Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
funnylumpy

More realism please

36 comments in this topic

Players
7 posts
901 battles

As topic says there is several issues with this game that is quite annoying.

1 - ship drift.., this game is the only game that has warships that drifts sideways this is not Tokyo Drift.. please fix this the ocean give resistance and it is physical impossible for a ship to drift sideways unless it is flat bottom.

2 - Detonation and Ship Rudder. These two parts is micro possiblity to damage with shells as it was very rare happenings during ww1 and ww2. The fact that there is 5 detonations in one battle just makes this stupid and just random. Same goes for ship rudder a shell wont damage ship rudder with shells unless strike of luckm also this happens way to often compared to what it would be expected to do. 

These two should be very low change to happen and it won't ruin the gameplay if it happens rarely.. as it is now it happens way to frequently and it ruins the gameplay a lot.

3 - Engine failure, should only be possible if people use AP not HE shells.. this also happens way to freuqnetly and most of the players use HE shells.

I know this is not a simulator, but at least give it some realism it will improve the overall impression for the game.

• Cool 1

Players
373 posts

For point 2.Hood and Bismarck

For point 2 and 3.There are upgrades to help prevent these,thus being part of the game mechanics.Certain ships need certain upgrades to help with their respective achilles heels.

Just my two cents worth anyway.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
1,520 posts
1,475 battles

1 - ship drift.., this game is the only game that has warships that drifts sideways this is not Tokyo Drift.. please fix this the ocean give resistance and it is physical impossible for a ship to drift sideways unless it is flat bottom.

2 - Detonation and Ship Rudder. These two parts is micro possiblity to damage with shells as it was very rare happenings during ww1 and ww2. The fact that there is 5 detonations in one battle just makes this stupid and just random. Same goes for ship rudder a shell wont damage ship rudder with shells unless strike of luckm also this happens way to often compared to what it would be expected to do. 

These two should be very low change to happen and it won't ruin the gameplay if it happens rarely.. as it is now it happens way to frequently and it ruins the gameplay a lot.

3 - Engine failure, should only be possible if people use AP not HE shells.. this also happens way to freuqnetly and most of the players use HE shells.

I know this is not a simulator, but at least give it some realism it will improve the overall impression for the game.

1: yes

2: The chance for Detonations is already low. I can't remember the last time it happened twice in one match. It rarely happens even once per match. With 5 you must have gotten the jackpot.

As for rudder damage. It's not only the rudder outside, but parts of the control mechanism inside the ship which can be damaged. It's just shown as rudder damage.

3: No, just no. First: AP here is NOT AP in WoT. It's also HE, just capped. And pure HE also has penetration. It's 1/6th of the caliber.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Actually. While I agree that a bit more realism would be nice (I can turn a stationary 300m container vessel 180 degrees without using the bow thruster, but I can't do that with these warships).

The turning is actually one thing that is realistic. When you turn a ship, it will start to move sideways. It's not a car.

f81.jpg

turning-circle.jpg

What I would like to see is:

- Being stationary, setting rudder hard to port/starboard and then giving half ahead would give a high turning speed with barely any forward momentum.

- Putting your Main Engine in reverse would give your ship a small turn vector, direction of this vector would depend on what way the screws go. If the screws don't go the same way it would go straight (if not acted upon by changing currents or wind). A rudder would also have no effect when a ship is reversing, except decreasing the speed it will reverse.

- Putting the engine in reverse while moving forward would increase the deceleration.

• Cool 7

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

The silly thing about detonations is that every time you get detonated, you get 10 flags that immunizes you against detonations (or possibly at least 10 flags per day). So, detonations are artificially low if you remember to use your abundant supply of flags. This seems like a very weird way to handle detonation mechanics. Not very realistic, is it.

I've just settled for the fact that WoWs is not set to be a realistic game. It's not a simulation. One quick example: In reality, every time a ship is set on fire, the movement of the ship will fan the flames. The faster you go, the worse it gets. So, if you want to put out a fire on a ship quickly, you have to make a full stop.

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
393 posts
8,103 battles

1. Ships can't drift? Well, Harry S. Truman, big [edited]supercarrier begs to differ. Its all about speed, momentum and angle. The rest is up to physics.

2. Detonation? Please tell that to the Hood. And a bunch of other ships from the Battle of Jutland included. And the rudder? Hmmm. Bismarck? And countless others who had their rudder damaged but survived?

3. Engine failure? HE shells do penetrate and if they do, why shouldn't they be able to cause engine failure?

[SCRUB]
Players
581 posts
3,759 battles

I understand this is an arcade game rather than a simulation. But I still think it's not fair that a %1 hp ship has the same combat capability with another at %100 health.

Yes you lose AA or secondaries every now and then but l'd like more frequent main turret incapacitation or reduced speed or slower rudder shifts as well

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

[...]One quick example: In reality, every time a ship is set on fire, the movement of the ship will fan the flames. The faster you go, the worse it gets. So, if you want to put out a fire on a ship quickly, you have to make a full stop.

Well, not really. When your ship is on fire you can do 1 of 2 things. And that's either sailing perpendicular to the wind so the smoke won't be blown over the entire ship and one side of the ship is safe to approach the fire from. Or you sail the wind dead (go with the wind in the same direction and speed). And that latter one is undesirable since now the wind isn't blowing the fire in a direction you can predict or a direction you want it to go, it will start moving around unpredictably which is even more dangerous.

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

Well, not really. When your ship is on fire you can do 1 of 2 things. And that's either sailing perpendicular to the wind so the smoke won't be blown over the entire ship and one side of the ship is safe to approach the fire from. Or you sail the wind dead (go with the wind in the same direction and speed). And that latter one is undesirable since now the wind isn't blowing the fire in a direction you can predict or a direction you want it to go, it will start moving around unpredictably which is even more dangerous.

Yeah. I didn't want to mention wind in this case, because there's no wind in this game, nor always on the actual high seas, for that matter.
Edited by Tubit101

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,870 battles

l'd like more frequent main turret incapacitation or reduced speed or slower rudder shifts as well

NO, almost every battle my montana turns into an iowa, and in amagi i lose at least 1 turret per battle even though I have equipment for less chance of that hapening... same goes for all DDs

Players
277 posts
15,375 battles

1) WHAT? have you ever seen a ship turning? if not here you have example of Yamatos turning cycle (check out THIS TOKIO DRIFT)- 

YtYcNlN.jpg

2) Detonations were possible check HMS HOOD - but yeah they need to be made more precise and less RNG (as currently they happen very randomly sometimes you dont even need to land a citadel to make them)

3) AP was able to make engine faliures - and if you want to make it realistic then half of the dmg wouldnt be fixable at all!. The only thing i would like is HE cant dmg a engine if it can pen the armor around it (and currently again it seems random that it dmg'es it even when it doesnt pen its armor) and a non science fiction fire mechanics in this game (as mostly fires on ship were made internal by bombs or torps, HE was just to disable superstrucutre systems or to do dmg to light armored ships).

Edited by t0ffik1

Beta Tester
814 posts
13,599 battles

I won't comment on rudder and turning.

But detonations.

They are plainly just a bad game mechanic. THEY SUCK. And I wish they got removed.

The fact you can "immunize" yourself by mounting a colored rag just makes them even more infuriating.

Yes, I know they happened in reality. I don't care about reality. This is not a simulator.

In the game, detonations are simply, pure RNG. The biggest noob can kill the best unicum if he gets lucky... in a single shot. And there is no real way to protect yourself. It simply happens.

"But ammo rack mechanic has been in WoT for years and generally nobody complains about it!"

WoT and WoWs aren't the same. A big part of WoT is aiming for weak spots of the tank. You can aim for the ammo rack to damage it and make enemy reload slower, or even to blow him up in one shot - and he can protect himself by hiding that part of the tank. In WoWs, aiming for specific parts of the ship doesn't happen until very low range (7km and less for battleships, and I really doubt anyone is aiming for magazines on cruisers and destroyers. I don't).

Your team's top tier battleship just got detonated? GG, if enemy is half good you just lost the game.

Playing ranked? Any of your teammates "forgot" to mount the flag and got detonated? GG.

Except it really isn't "GG".

Please, Wargaming. Get rid of detonations.

I understand this is an arcade game rather than a simulation. But I still think it's not fair that a %1 hp ship has the same combat capability with another at %100 health.

Yes you lose AA or secondaries every now and then but l'd like more frequent main turret incapacitation or reduced speed or slower rudder shifts as well

Aim specifically  for the main guns. Earlier today with my Izumo, I blew all three turrets off a North Carolina on purpose... in just 2 salvos... and let my secondaries finish him off :trollface:

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

Yeah. I didn't want to mention wind in this case, because there's no wind in this game, nor always on the actual high seas, for that matter.

While it's not always on the high seas. It's damn often though. If there is no low pressure system coming by then there are the passat winds that keep blowing the same direction all year round.

The only place where I've encountered a pure wind force 0 on the beauford scale was in the Gulf of Aden. (a sea state so smooth it was reflecting starlight)

But ingame it might be true. But we already established that this game isn't about realism otherwise sailing your ship while the bow is on fire would eventually make it spread further aft as well.

Players
128 posts
1,017 battles

OP needs to do some research before posting!

WW1 Battlecruisers would detonate just by looking at them (especially the Brits), in the battle of Jutland the Brits lost 3 BC's to detonation within minutes of the battle starting!

[SCRUB]
Players
581 posts
3,759 battles

NO, almost every battle my montana turns into an iowa, and in amagi i lose at least 1 turret per battle even though I have equipment for less chance of that hapening... same goes for all DDs

We're talking about real permanent loss of turrets right? Not soft ones that magically heal in seconds? Permaloss of turret only happened to me twice in 550 battles. Both in Cleveland :)

Players
7 posts
901 battles

1) WHAT? have you ever seen a ship turning? if not here you have example of Yamatos turning cycle (check out THIS TOKIO DRIFT)- 

YtYcNlN.jpg

2) Detonations were possible check HMS HOOD - but yeah they need to be made more precise and less RNG (as currently they happen very randomly sometimes you dont even need to land a citadel to make them)

3) AP was able to make engine faliures - and if you want to make it realistic then half of the dmg wouldnt be fixable at all!. The only thing i would like is HE cant dmg a engine if it can pen the armor around it (and currently again it seems random that it dmg'es it even when it doesnt pen its armor) and a non science fiction fire mechanics in this game (as mostly fires on ship were made internal by bombs or torps, HE was just to disable superstrucutre systems or to do dmg to light armored ships).

You seem to misunderstand my point. The drift is very clear when you are playing some cruisers and any destroyers and are close to land or other ships. The BB and CV acts like they should, or at least as far as I have experienced as close to how they should act.

If you still don't get it play some ww1 and ww2 sims then you get it.

Seems like people forget I talked about shells not torpedoes. As Bismarck and most ships that had engine and rudder failure was struck by torpedoes, those ships that was shelled so much and recieved lucky strike from shells that penetrated the hull damaging engine, brigde or other vital component.

I didn't not say that torpedoes should be done anything with. Just ease up at the rudder, engine and detonation as these things happens too frequent even with flags. My friend recently gave up because of detonation happens so frequently.

Often I get hit and I loose engine or rudder I fix it and got hit again and loose it again 2seconds later. Point is it happens so frequent I almost never have a battle where it doesnt happen. Unless I play CV then I rarly get that attention before a win or loss occurs.

I get  wows is an unrealistic aracde game, it can still be made that certain things doesn't occur as frequent as it does. At least it seems more plausable. The drifting is the most annoying. 

Players
1,186 posts
4,658 battles

We're talking about real permanent loss of turrets right? Not soft ones that magically heal in seconds? Permaloss of turret only happened to me twice in 550 battles. Both in Cleveland :)

Then you've been extremely lucky. Try playing an Ognevoi, you'll lose your two turrets in no time. I've heard the Sims has this problem too.

Btw. I watched a documentary on the battle of Jutland where they chalked a lot of the magazine detonations down to breach of ship routines. Basically what happened was that they left doors open to the magazine, and then turrets were hit on deck. Fire traveled down the turret by means of a phenomenon known as "flash" and all the way inside to where the shell propellant was stored.

They cover the magazine detonations at about 30:30

Edited by Tubit101

Players
1,015 posts
4,182 battles

1 in 3 battles in Cleveland I lose a turret. Permanently. Sometimes two. Worst if you lose two forward ones, can't do anything offensive then. Only run lol.

Mostly due to BB shells, but once lost two when I CQE'd two other Clevelands.

Perhaps OP is using ships that are more sensitive to steering and engine damage. I don't see it as a problem, much less detonations that are very rare but funny when they happen. I've been detonated 3 times during the course of 550 battles, and detonated only one ship myself.

Players
7 posts
901 battles

OP needs to do some research before posting!

WW1 Battlecruisers would detonate just by looking at them (especially the Brits), in the battle of Jutland the Brits lost 3 BC's to detonation within minutes of the battle starting!

Funny guy.. Yes I read tons of history and I know the weakness of the battlecruisers. We don't have them ingame yet. Doubt we will ever see them either except maybe Hood as it was the UK navys pride.

Players
7 posts
901 battles

Then you've been extremely lucky. Try playing an Ognevoi, you'll lose your two turrets in no time. I've heard the Sims has this problem too.

Btw. I watched a documentary on the battle of Jutland where they chalked a lot of the magazine detonations down to breach of ship routines. Basically what happened was that they left doors open to the magazine, and then turrets were hit on deck. Fire traveled down the turret by means of a phenomenon known as "flash" and all the way inside to where the shell propellant was stored.

They cover the magazine detonations at about 30:30

Yeah there was many breech on routines during battle of juntland and one of them as you mentioned and another was overstocking of shells which proved very fatal for some of the ships.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,346 posts
14,955 battles

You seem to misunderstand my point. The drift is very clear when you are playing some cruisers and any destroyers and are close to land or other ships. The BB and CV acts like they should, or at least as far as I have experienced as close to how they should act.

LOL you say ships don't drift when they turn because it douse not happan in other computer games!!! Try steering a real ship/boat Pal or watching a real ship enter or leave port or even some you tube Vids. Ships dont Bend when they turn as the bow cuts through the water the stern will swing out

Seems like people forget I talked about shells not torpedoes. As Bismarck and most ships that had engine and rudder failure was struck by torpedoes, those ships that was shelled so much and recieved lucky strike from shells that penetrated the hull damaging engine, brigde or other vital component.  of the top of my head ! Warspite lost her steering at Jutland! with one of the first hits. One of the DD  of Taffy 3 lost engine power due to hit by shell in WW2 Protecting escort carriers from attack by the jap fleet! Invasion of Norway German cruiser Blutcher lost steering with first shells fires by the Norwegian fortress protecting Oslo. steering was relatively common damage on a warship in battle This is why almost all ships had Auxiliary steering positions. Engine rooms were also often damaged in battle!!

I didn't not say that torpedoes should be done anything with. Just ease up at the rudder, engine and detonation as these things happens too frequent even with flags. My friend recently gave up because of detonation happens so frequently.

Often I get hit and I loose engine or rudder I fix it and got hit again and loose it again 2seconds later. Point is it happens so frequent I almost never have a battle where it doesnt happen. Unless I play CV then I rarly get that attention before a win or loss occurs.

I get  wows is an unrealistic aracde game, it can still be made that certain things doesn't occur as frequent as it does. At least it seems more plausable. The drifting is the most annoying. 

Edited by T0byJug

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

The Japanese battleship Hiei also lost her steering during the first Naval Battle of Guadalcanal... it played a huge part in her eventual sinking.

[AXIS]
Players
1,091 posts
2,419 battles

[...]

Hahaha, I should play other WWI and WWII ships to see how they work when I sail ships in real life. And then you claim you want more realism? I already showed you how ships turn on the other page. That isn't just applicable for big ships, also for the small ones.

Players
1,130 posts
2,359 battles

Funny guy.. Yes I read tons of history and I know the weakness of the battlecruisers. We don't have them ingame yet. Doubt we will ever see them either except maybe Hood as it was the UK navys pride.

Then explain the Myogi, Kongo, Ishizuchi and Amagi? They are all battlecruisers.

Generally speaking, magazine detonations account for a good chunk of all battleship and battlecruiser losses, even the mighty Yamato went down due to a magazine detonation (although it was due to fire rather than penetration). The famous USS Arizona was also a victim of a magazine detonation when a bomb penetrated through its decks.

Either way I find magazine detonations to be extremely rare and they only tend to occur when one side is heavily outmatched in guns vs armour. I don't know if I have seen a ship cause on a detonation on an equivalent ship since about T3, the rest of them are all due to battleships' guns being able to ignore the armour of cruisers and destroyers (and in the destroyers' cases, often even HE can ignore their armour).

I would also like to see more building up of the damage in the game, as I don't like the way a ship with 10% health will probably still be fighting with close to 100% efficiency, when realistically they have probably had half of their main batteries taken out, are missing one of their rudders and most of their engine rooms are going to be flooded. Obviously nobody wants to be completely immobilised in the game, but most ships had multiple engine rooms so it would allow for a gradual decrease in speed. Realistically, almost every citadel penetration should either result in a detonation, loss of a turret or the loss of an engine room, as that's literally all that is in the citadel.

Sign in to follow this