Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_H_Nelson

Can we have a damage control immunity period for DD steering please?

14 comments in this topic

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

I understand that there can be an immunity period (albeit short) after damage control is activated and completed.

I found this guide on the NA forum:

The Immunity Period

When the Damage Control Party is activated, it remains active for a certain period of time depending upon the ship it is installed upon.  During this time, any further critical damage which could be repaired is automatically negated.  When damaging a ship with an active Damage Control Party, ribbons are still awarded for inflicting critical hits, flooding and fires but the ship will not be affected by the damage.  For most ships, this immunity period is very short -- a mere 5 seconds.  To aid in Battleship survivability, this time varies. 

• All other Ships         5s
  • IJN Battleships        10s
  • USN Battleships        20s
  • Imperator Nikolai I    15s
  • KMS Tirpitz            15s
  • HMS Warspite            5s

From <http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/57272-damage-control-party-guide/

Could we have something similar for Destroyer/Cruiser steering, please?

There is nothing more frustrating than being forced to repair steering in a dangerous close quarters fight, then  hearing the irritating assistant's voice "unable to manoeuvre" immediately upon repair - as another hit takes out steering.  (Followed not long afterwards by being sunk completely because you are a sitting duck).

Yes - by all means steering COULD be taken out multiple times a battle, but I feel that this needs to be tempered with what is needed for satisfying game play.

The principle of immunity is established. Let's extend it.

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Level 4 Last Stand Captain skill does the job, if you have the points. :hiding:

Good point. That would be a great level 4 skill for Japanese destroyers, wouldn't it?

The Russian DDs are all gunboats, so they really need Advanced Firing Training first at level 4 though - it really makes them strong. So they would need it as a SECOND level 4 skill. A tough grind.

P.S. Love the avatar. A real sailor. Someone to be proud of.

• Cool 1

Players
57 posts
3,992 battles

Yes Charlie Drake did his bit, he volunteered for the Navy, but was rejected as only 5'1" 1/2 inches, but was accepted by the RAF, and was a rear turret gunner. 

Yes, I noticed I tend to lose engines and guns a lot in my Russians dd's, but not complaining. :)

Edit, Yes, absolute must for ijn dds.

Edited by jimonwye

Alpha Tester
1,102 posts
2,442 battles

It´s a tough choice for the 4th rank of captains perks for an USN or USSR DD captain, for sure. Just grinding my last point for it on the USSR DDs. Not sure which one to pick.

However, on topic: just no, sorry. The request is understandable, i can recall many situations where i freaked out because of another engine/rudder damage. It´s horrible when under fire by a rapid firing cruiser or DD. However, it´s probably the only defense they got against us. And when it comes to BBs, it´s even worse in terms of self defense. An immunity period would be a granted period of time for a jolo torp run and would hand an unjustified advantage to a class, which purchases it´s advantages in speed, agility and stealthiness, aswell as it´s deadly torpedo ability for the price of vulnerability and fragility.

It´s probably the same as it is why BBs don´t get accurate guns, with the single difference, that DDs pay with fragility and vulnerability for working advantages, while BBs pay with mobility, agility, stealthiness and rate of fire for big, punchy guns which don´t work as they should, considered the tradeoffs...

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

It´s a tough choice for the 4th rank of captains perks for an USN or USSR DD captain, for sure. Just grinding my last point for it on the USSR DDs. Not sure which one to pick.

However, on topic: just no, sorry. The request is understandable, i can recall many situations where i freaked out because of another engine/rudder damage. It´s horrible when under fire by a rapid firing cruiser or DD. However, it´s probably the only defense they got against us. And when it comes to BBs, it´s even worse in terms of self defense. An immunity period would be a granted period of time for a jolo torp run and would hand an unjustified advantage to a class, which purchases it´s advantages in speed, agility and stealthiness, aswell as it´s deadly torpedo ability for the price of vulnerability and fragility.

It´s probably the same as it is why BBs don´t get accurate guns, with the single difference, that DDs pay with fragility and vulnerability for working advantages, while BBs pay with mobility, agility, stealthiness and rate of fire for big, punchy guns which don´t work as they should, considered the tradeoffs...

Valid point about the torpedo run - lots of good points in fact. :honoring:

Maybe they could turn the second steering hit into a "torpedo tubes damaged" hit as a compromise. Then the DD could withdraw, but not threaten the enemy with torps until they're repaired?

Alternatively just turn the second steering hit into a magazine detonation and instant kill. Seriously it would be LESS frustrating, since the second steering hit means you die a slightly slower death anyway (I've never survived such a situation)

P.S. I had the AFT 4th level skill in my Captain on Izyaslav, who I then transferred to Gnevny (current ship). Get it - it makes you feel useful to your team in every battle, and makes it easier to dodge enemy fire whilst racking up the hits yourself. :)

Edited by Admiral_H_Nelson

Beta Tester
814 posts
13,613 battles

The immunity period exists for all ships. It lasts 5 seconds after you activate R for DDs and CAs.

Now, should it be longer? I'm not sure. DDs already are very slippery and have smoke for bad situations. I also used to be very annoyed with module breaking on my DDs - until I learned how not to get hit :) I think it is ok now.

Players
1,438 posts

Good point. That would be a great level 4 skill for Japanese destroyers, wouldn't it?

The Russian DDs are all gunboats, so they really need Advanced Firing Training first at level 4 though - it really makes them strong. So they would need it as a SECOND level 4 skill. A tough grind.

P.S. Love the avatar. A real sailor. Someone to be proud of.

As an IJN DD player having anything to better my guns might sound a better choice (as they are the worst amongst the DDs), but I went for the last stand due to the fact a passing fish taking a dump would cause my engine or rudder to fail.

Next part does not sound nice and I am not trying to flame but I would say make your choice and live with it. As one of the best gunships compared to others it sounds 'greedy' (wrong word I know)that you want to be a beast lol. But it is your choice to make. :honoring:

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

As an IJN DD player having anything to better my guns might sound a better choice (as they are the worst amongst the DDs), but I went for the last stand due to the fact a passing fish taking a dump would cause my engine or rudder to fail.

Next part does not sound nice and I am not trying to flame but I would say make your choice and live with it. As one of the best gunships compared to others it sounds 'greedy' (wrong word I know)that you want to be a beast lol. But it is your choice to make. :honoring:

+1.   Yes - you are absolutely right! I have to admit it! :)  I would love to be an OP beast that swats all the enemy ships. LOL :teethhappy:

BTW - I am working the other DD lines as well as the Russian one.

Russia: Almost finished with Gnevny. Ognevoi is next.

IJN:  Just had a couple of games in Minekaze. Nice ship So was Isokaze before it.

USN: A few games in Farragut. Nice ship, but don't know whether to upgrade the hull and lose a valuable gun.

Beta Tester
121 posts
5,351 battles

Or with Level 14 you can take both :hmm:

+1.   Yes - you are absolutely right! I have to admit it! :)  I would love to be an OP beast that swats all the enemy ships. LOL :teethhappy:

IJN:  Just had a couple of games in Minekaze. Nice ship So was Isokaze before it.

USN: A few games in Farragut. Nice ship, but don't know whether to upgrade the hull and lose a valuable gun.

Russia: Levelling the Gnevny myself. Is the Ogenovoi better?

IJN: Using the Kagero right now and trying to get the Shimakaze. But sometimes I like to play the Isokaze again because you can be much more aggressive and still survive :medal:

USN: Still stuck with the Nicholas - I simply don't have the credits to buy the Farragut or the next German cruiser or the moduls on the Kagerou :(

[GRKEN]
Beta Tester
3,552 posts
8,863 battles

Russia: Levelling the Gnevny myself. Is the Ogenovoi better?

Worser stealth.

Two dual gun turrets meaning one (un)lucky hit can take out 50% of artillery.

Tougher opposition.

So what does it sound like?

P.S. I had the AFT 4th level skill in my Captain on Izyaslav, who I then transferred to Gnevny (current ship). Get it - it makes you feel useful to your team in every battle, and makes it easier to dodge enemy fire whilst racking up the hits yourself. :)

Another trick in Gnevny/Gremy against lone cruiser charging into your lines is sneak inside 7km of its side and starts citadelling it.

Those often keep in straight line to not show their sides for your team cruisers and BBs.

Half dozen citadel hits makes wonders to its hitpoints.

Players
1,438 posts

Wow, you're a seasoned vet!!!:honoring:

Must admit I have only played IJN DD line to Tier V (with Minekaze and Fujin). The Matsuki was such a change in the rate of reload it just didn't do anything for me and until the Shim at level X they seem to get worse lol. Therefore as I can't be bothered to grind up to 10 I guess I will make the best of the V game.

For me I just wish we had better AA; I find that nowadays the CVs tend to load with fighters and bombers and now hunt DDs for team mates; I can have  buzzards circling me for ages whilst my AA does nothing.

On the selfish side I wish I had better guns, they really are half the power of any other DD and when scouting it can be difficult to guess when to break horizontal so you can avoid a head on quick detection scenario with another DD with bigger guns (you know, beasts lol).:playing:

Wish you all well on your grind to Farragut Kharazas!

Players
277 posts
15,385 battles

And isnt a one for whole duration of the match aviable - called Last Stand on commander tier 4 ability?.

You want more immunity then that gives you?

Players
1,438 posts

And isnt a one for whole duration of the match aviable - called Last Stand on commander tier 4 ability?.

You want more immunity then that gives you?

Who are you talking to, OP? He has already said that its more of a wish to get a longer immunity as this would make the choice of better guns (as this is his main strength) over the last stand more paletable. :)

Sign in to follow this