Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Banestalk

Is it me, or have smoke mechanics changed?

6 comments in this topic

Players
21 posts
2,213 battles

Maybe I'm imagining things, but recently I feel like smoke isn't working quite as reliably as it used to. A BB shouldn't be able to spot me sitting at 0kt in the cloud at 5km, should it?

Firing your guns from also seems to light you up more then it used to.

Am I loosing it or are others having the same experience?

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

I dunno. I've started a smoke screen a couple of times recently while travelling directly away from the enemy, then several seconds hearing the magic words "Smoke screen set" and crawling at 1/4 speed I've been hit by enemy shells.

Some will be just (un)lucky hits of course, but maybe the mechanics HAVE changed. Maybe you are still visible now until the screen is completely set, so the enemy can still fire at you clearly up to that point. :unsure:

[TORCH]
[TORCH]
Beta Tester
439 posts
8,406 battles

I will agree as a main dd player i have felt the same. The idea of smoke is to conceal yourself or allies (obviously) however, please explain to me how;

<______>             <-------->            ###########               <-------->                          <______________>

ME                                                 SMOKE                                                                        Enemy

If you use my crappy keyboard picture above, explain to me how if theres an entire smoke screen set between me and the enemy, how i can be detected by CA / BB at mid to max range with nothing no where near close, when you have my entire smoke screen between me and it, obscuring vision? Had it a number of times over the past few weeks....

Obviously being too close etc etc (i dont need to go into that thats obvious....), increases your detection chance but at mid to max range even if you havent fired a single turret, bare in mind that even in your own smoke you can lay fire down while hidden until it clears.

With that said it feels that they have either ninja nerfed it or im going crazy because ive never had the issue before.

Edited by Shade_UK

Beta Tester
186 posts
6,362 battles

Don´t forget the german cruisers with their hydroacustic search. They get 4.98 km range with that. And I guess, as their AA isn´t the best anyway and the current amount of destroyers in game, a lot of them choose the hydro search.

BTW. I would like it if you could hear the "ping" if an enemy cruiser uses the hydro search, so you at least know what´s happening...

Other than that, smoke works for me as before. If there is no enemy ship on my side of the smoke or if I am completely within the smoke (and no aircraft on top of me), I can shoot all I want without being detected. 

Sign in to follow this