Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OVanBruce

The personal fighter on battleships

5 comments in this topic

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

It's been a long time since this feature was introduced for cruisers and BBs and although it's logical that a cruiser has this since it's precisely a ship for AA it's completely absurd that a BB can have this as well.

Back when the "personal fighter" was introduced CV mirror MM wasn't a thing. The personal fighter was introduced to curtail the advantage of a CV that may find himself without oponent and also to put some limit to the strike only IJN CVs setups. Now things have completely changed.

- Mirror CV MM means that your fighters are continually on the lookout of the enemy fighters which leaves you with no spare fighters to deal with personal fighters. Not only a BB has had since months ago cruiser like turning circles, amazing AA from tier VI onward but also has this personal fighter which makes then even less atractive as an objective. Funnily enough, it's more effective to attack a cruiser than a BB under these circunstances simply because you earn more exp and credits per torp hit on a cruiser than on a BB since personal fighter = AA barrage in most circunstances.

- IJN CVs lost their strike only setups which means that they are much less able to deal burst damage. Combined with the recent nerfs which have put then to the ground there hasn't been a moment in the history of this game in which BBs could feel more safe from air strikes, even when alone.

In line with what I've allways said, a BB should be an attractive target for a CV, much more than any of the other classes and contrary to what should be currently it is a very unatractive target in most circunstances. Therefore and given how the meta is right now I ask for the removal of personal fighters on BBs in order to bring the balance much more in line to what should be.

• Cool 3

Alpha Tester
1,818 posts
4,967 battles

According to the "BB mafia", said plane is useless and cruisers still have superior AA compared to their ships...

Not to mention what you said about CV-targeting is completely true: getting one torpedo in on a cruiser is sadly worth more than a couple on a battleship. Luckily, they can be dodged if you have situational awareness, but what usually happens is that you get nuked by a battleship by doing so.

Good suggestion, but I do not think that it will happen. Simply out of curiosity, when was the last time battleships received a nerf? (HE-buff excluded, as the class got both armour and healing in return)

Modder, Supertester
1,235 posts
8,142 battles

CV's arent popular enough at the moment :/ thats the big problem right now. But i understand why they are unpopular right now. Some months ago you had always a cv ingame. Now its hardly every 5th game. Because we have the problem with the balance between IJN and american CVs. its just fucked up :/

But back to topic. I would suggest that the "scout plane" should be able to change your viewing angle but nothing more. I can already shoot around the complete map with my bb some times. Why should we be able to shoot at a target from one end of the map to the other diagonal end? thats insane. of course BBs have the high range.

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

I find the existence of fighter planes on BBs questionable as well since they already have excellent AA from T8+ onwards, even more than cruisers at that point, especially the IJN ones.
Considering BBs are supposed to be a priority target for CVs, it's a bit strange that waiting for a cruiser to have his barrage on cooldown and then attacking those is actually a much safer way of dealing damage and gaining experience.

When I've seen papedipupi play he sometimes didn't even care about the barrage. Since you only need half as many torpedoes (sometimes even less, since their torpedo belts aren't as good) to sink a cruiser than a BB, he just accepts the lowered accuracy.

Good suggestion, but I do not think that it will happen. Simply out of curiosity, when was the last time battleships received a nerf? (HE-buff excluded, as the class got both armour and healing in return)

AP nerf in 0.5.1. Wasn't intended and got fixed in 0.5.2, though.

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,669 battles

-AA was killed in 0.4.1. We were given a fighter to compensate and shut our cryes, unfortunetly, this fighter is useless and can be easily killed by anything that moves. So you can remove it, as there is no difference at all whearher you have it or not.

-What to target is up to CV, some hunt DD others CV, some totally useless and so on...

-HE buff? You mean the one that does 0 dmg most of the time to anything it hits? Personally seen my Zao do 0 dmg to a DD with 9 hits salvo, wheres the buff?

Sign in to follow this