You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KarmaQU_EU

Spotting aircraft feels useless

23 comments in this topic

[FAME]
Beta Tester
803 posts
4,376 battles

Or I just don't know how to aim in spotting aircraft mode ... only used to aiming in normal mode. My hitrate actually lowers when I use spotting aircraft. Maybe it's because the game rendering takes away 3D depth perception or something. At any rate, I never use spotting aircraft now .. except on the Murmansk, because I have no choice.

• Cool 1

[BGNAV]
Beta Tester
452 posts
8,129 battles

you must get used to it. And do not forget, after you shoot about 20% more far the dispersion of your shoots is as well bigger, so yes, hitting something at such long ranges is naturally more difficult. But than again, without that spotting plane you even would not shoot and thus not having a chance to hit something at all.

The question is what fits better and is more usefull for your ship, a fighter or spotter plane?!

I personally never camp and snipe from long range, so i do not need anymore a spotter plane ot whatever ship. Often i even do not use the modul for longer range ...... it's all about how someone plays, more defensive or offensive.

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

The most useful thing about the scout plane, in my opinion, is that it allows you to shoot indirect fire over islands and smoke screens, and target ships you wouldn't otherwise be able to see. The extra range is an added benefit.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

The most useful thing about the scout plane, in my opinion, is that it allows you to shoot indirect fire over islands and smoke screens, and target ships you wouldn't otherwise be able to see. The extra range is an added benefit.

That's true, but it also makes it really hard to tell whether you *can* hit a target over an island. The number of times, using the spotter, I click on a visible target and my shells hit the hill in between us.... Some kind of indicator would be lovely.

• Cool 1

[THESO]
Beta Tester
1,310 posts
9,210 battles

Spotting aircraft is also useful finding destroyers and spotting incoming torps.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,613 posts
14,196 battles

The thing is, while active you have to use it, and that is what is wrong for me. I would like to see a toggle option, i.e. you decide if to use top down view or normal view for your next salvo as long as the spotting plane is active.

I am used to it now, but I still find it very awkward if I use it to shoot an enemy behind cover and in the next instance you get direct line of sight on another enemy but you can not cancel the top down view for 90 sec. And for direct shots it is harder to use than the standard aim.

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

That's true, but it also makes it really hard to tell whether you *can* hit a target over an island. The number of times, using the spotter, I click on a visible target and my shells hit the hill in between us.... Some kind of indicator would be lovely.

Not a bad idea. But you don't get an indicator when you're in "normal" view either, you have to get the feel for what firing arc your current ship has. I'm not sure a spotter plane should help with this.

The thing is, while active you have to use it, and that is what is wrong for me. I would like to see a toggle option, i.e. you decide if to use top down view or normal view for your next salvo as long as the spotting plane is active.

I am used to it now, but I still find it very awkward if I use it to shoot an enemy behind cover and in the next instance you get direct line of sight on another enemy but you can not cancel the top down view for 90 sec. And for direct shots it is harder to use than the standard aim.

A toggle would be good!

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

What worries me most, is that people don't want to shoot enemies because "their hitrating will drop"...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles

Spotting aircraft is also useful finding destroyers and spotting incoming torps.

This!!! A spotter is the Bain of a DD It stays around for long after its mother ship is sunk. there is no indication on how far away it is so DD will struggle to manuver around it.

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

What worries me most, is that people don't want to shoot enemies because "their hitrating will drop"...

HA! That's a good one....!:teethhappy:

Waitaminute... seriously? :ohmy:

Edited by Procrastes

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,445 posts
7,015 battles

I never really use my spotting plane for DDs because I find at close range it is even more difficult to aim.

To be honest I rarely use mine at all and on most BBs once I have the FCS I swap it for a (useless) fighter that at least doesn't screw the viewpoint up and might help with torps/DD spotting...

Edited by ilhilh

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles

I never really use my spotting plane for DDs because I find at close range it is even more difficult to aim.  I rarely use mine at all and on most BBs once I have the FCS I swap it for a (useless) fighter that at least doesn't screw the viewpoint up...

not to shoot at but to light Up!!! would be nice if you could send spotter up But just not use the extended range>> saying that you can do that with the fighter and get the benefit of it fighting off attackers. All my ships that can have the fighter
Edited by T0byJug

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

This!!! A spotter is the Bain of a DD It stays around for long after its mother ship is sunk. there is no indication on how far away it is so DD will struggle to manuver around it.

You can't see and 'ALT-key' a lone spotter plane from another ship?

Anyway, this is good to know. Whenever I'm about to get sunk, I always launch my scout plane with a bundle of letters for those who wait at home. "Fly, little friend! Fly as fast as your wings can carry you! And tell our tale..."

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles

You can't see and 'ALT-key' a lone spotter plane from another ship?

Anyway, this is good to know. Whenever I'm about to get sunk, I always launch my scout plane with a bundle of letters for those who wait at home. "Fly, little friend! Fly as fast as your wings can carry you! And tell our tale..."

you can target it so you will shoot if it is in range but it douse not tell you the distance. and in a DD you keep your AA silent unless spotted.  Problem is with other planes you know the distance from you  so you can manuver to keep them outside your Spotted range for Aircraft. But not for a spotter

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

you can target it so you will shoot if it is in range but it douse not tell you the distance. and in a DD you keep your AA silent unless spotted.  Problem is with other planes you know the distance from you  so you can manuver to keep them outside your Spotted range for Aircraft. But not for a spotter

Weird.

Or maybe sneaky? Is it a bug, or is it a feature?

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,861 posts
17,421 battles

Weird.

Dunno

Beta Tester
2,637 posts
2,843 battles

Well, I guess one could always turn on the AA, and find out the range by default if the bogey gets shot down... :sceptic:

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

I never really use my spotting plane for DDs because I find at close range it is even more difficult to aim.

To be honest I rarely use mine at all and on most BBs once I have the FCS I swap it for a (useless) fighter that at least doesn't screw the viewpoint up and might help with torps/DD spotting...

Agreed that a fighter would be more useful most of the time. Except on the Warspite ;-) But, (fortunately?) we don't get a choice there!

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

Dunno

Pret

Weird.

Pretty sure it's a bug.

Players
52 posts
2,440 battles

The extra range is a VERY powerful asset.I feel weak when commanding ships that don't have spotters.

Now,if it gave you extra accuracy as well it would be overpowered. It lasts long enough to allow you to do significant damage,all you have to do is get used to the perspective and know how much you have to lead the target. Play long enough and it becomes an instinct.

[-AWF-]
Players
1,196 posts
6,604 battles

How come the spotter plane only can stay in the air for a very short time compared to the fighter?