Customer Support Maintenance Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Tubit101

Detected by invisible planes

20 comments in this topic

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

This happens to me fairly often. I get detected by planes that can't be seen, usually for 4-5 seconds. I get the feeling I'm being spotted even when the enemy has no planes nearby. Is anyone else experiencing this. Is there any explanations to what's happening?

oMh44Zy.jpg

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,635 posts

In this case, there is still an enemy DD about. More than likely that spotting you.

edit - Oops, just seen the spotted by planes symbol so ignore comment. :)  Maybe because planes are small they will spot you along time before you spot them?

Edited by bushwacker001

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

I usually spot planes long before they spot me in my destroyer. On this screenshot, there's also a plane indication icon, which shows that the plane should be vaguely in the direction of the mountain island. However, I can't see the plane, so it should not be able to see me. Also, we have ships on both sides of that mountain, which would ensure that the plane should have been spotted no matter what.

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

I went back and analyzed my replay, and I got a clearer picture of what happened.

1. Enemy Cleve launches a scout plane, which detects me.

yQGtdwT.jpg

2. Cleveland is destroyed. The fighter plane vanishes. However, I'm still magically detected...

6Lkl8vQ.jpg

I remained detected for about 10 seconds by a ghost plane. This by the way resulted in the destruction of my ship.

Players
1,438 posts

It's not a 'ghost' spotter plane and it happens a lot. The spotter planes do a rotational fly around when launched and even when the enemy ship that launched it is sunk it can stay up there for a couple of minutes after. I get this a lot in my DD where it seems that it will spot you before you spot it and will continue to spot you after it moves out of your sight.

Has happened to me many times as well (where I didn't see the CA launch it before it died/getting spotted); I have commented in previous posts that spotter planes should fly to the nearest island or map edge once their ship is destroyed (rather than flying until they ditch; sharks and all lol). Although I do like the 'Ghost Plane' name; doesn't make me feel so bad when I get spotted and killed because of it. :honoring:

Players
19 posts
10,552 battles

The spotting plane have a detection radius of 4 km , less than all destroyers. So it will spot you before it is spotted unless there is smoke involved.

Alpha Tester
2,464 posts
7,357 battles

Iirc planes are spotted at 5km so if your ship's air detectability is superior to that you'll get detected before seeisn the plane. Dunno what's the detectability on Kiev but I know it's very bad for all russian DDs.

About the fighter planes on ships, why shouldn't they in the air after their ship is destroyed? They have enough fuel and by the scenario some people here propose when they start to run low then it will head to the nearest land mass.

Players
1,438 posts

Iirc planes are spotted at 5km so if your ship's air detectability is superior to that you'll get detected before seeisn the plane. Dunno what's the detectability on Kiev but I know it's very bad for all russian DDs.

About the fighter planes on ships, why shouldn't they in the air after their ship is destroyed? They have enough fuel and by the scenario some people here propose when they start to run low then it will head to the nearest land mass.

Sorry, I think you are asking why the plane shouldn't stay up for the entire 2 minutes (or however long it is)? After the 2 minutes spotting it usually lands back on the ship, which is no longer there; so I believe that after it's 'home' is destroyed then it should head for safety. :honoring:

Players
1,952 posts
6,544 battles

Catapult fighters can detect your DD before you can see them usually if you are after firing your guns.

Alpha Tester
2,464 posts
7,357 battles

Sorry, I think you are asking why the plane shouldn't stay up for the entire 2 minutes (or however long it is)? After the 2 minutes spotting it usually lands back on the ship, which is no longer there; so I believe that after it's 'home' is destroyed then it should head for safety. :honoring:

It's a floatplane. The whole animatio of it returning to the ship is there for whatever reasons. Real floatplanes from ships just landed on water and the crew waited for a ship to come and lift the plane aboard with a crane, maybe get refueled for flying to a nearby base or simply abandon the floatplane if it wasn't possible to recover the plane.

[-TWA-]
Players
886 posts
12,577 battles

Happens very often. Ship launched airplanes sometimes cannot be spotted but they will spot you. It's worse when they are flying over land i have noticed.

Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Sailing Hamster
777 posts
3,641 battles

The spotting plane have a detection radius of 4 km , less than all destroyers. So it will spot you before it is spotted unless there is smoke involved.

As said above, spotter planes will be spotted from 4km away. CV launched strike planes can be spotted from 8 km away. They themselves see much further. So normal situation actually

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,448 posts
15,759 battles

And don't forget that after firing your guns (as you seem to have done against the Cleveland), you stay detected for a while (20 seconds I think, but not sure) even if nobody is already in your detection range.

[-TWA-]
Players
886 posts
12,577 battles

And don't forget that after firing your guns (as you seem to have done against the Cleveland), you stay detected for a while (20 seconds I think, but not sure) even if nobody is already in your detection range.

After your fire your guns for the next 20 secs you have an adjusted Detection Range based on your guns (ie it's not same for all ships). If there is anything within that new detection range then you will be detected and remain so until either 1) 20 secs pass or 2) The ships or planes within your new detection ranges are no longer there.
  • Cool 1

Players
1,091 posts
2,423 battles

Under that logic, if you have 2 carriers on your team and 1 carrier gets sunk, the remaining air squadrons would divert to the still alive carrier.

Players
1,189 posts
4,658 battles

I somehow missed this post initially, but that explains a lot. Makes sense too, since it would be harder to spot a single plane. Good to know.

Players
1,438 posts

It's a floatplane. The whole animatio of it returning to the ship is there for whatever reasons. Real floatplanes from ships just landed on water and the crew waited for a ship to come and lift the plane aboard with a crane, maybe get refueled for flying to a nearby base or simply abandon the floatplane if it wasn't possible to recover the plane.

I honestly wasn't trying to annoy/flame, just wanted to let you know I was attempting to answer what I believed to be your statement.

I would assume so as not to waste money the plane would land in the water close to it's ship for retrieval, all I was indicating was that if I was the pilot and my ship has been destroyed then I wouldn't be landing in a warzone in the hope that a friendly ship would pick me up! Especially in a warzone with WOWs players lol. But as I am not a historian I will cede to your knowledge and accept that pilots waited until their fuel ran out and landed in the water to wait for a friendly ship; now that's brave! :honoring:

Players
1,438 posts

Under that logic, if you have 2 carriers on your team and 1 carrier gets sunk, the remaining air squadrons would divert to the still alive carrier.

Yes, that is feasible if the carrier is able to hold that many planes and still operate. I would assume that will have actually happened at some point during the war if possible and land wasn't close by. I know I wouldn't expect the poor pilots to continue circling having released their ordinance until they ditched.

Sorry what was the focus of the post, were you saying you agree or not with the logic? Did you expect me to disagree (I don't really know)? :)

Sign in to follow this