Admiral_H_Nelson

Wyoming is causing me to lose the will to live

25 comments in this topic

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Let me say immediately:

Now I know she might not be one of the best US battleships in the tech tree, but the problem is ME, not Wyoming. I don't know what I am doing in her.

TL.DR      I need urgent help in trying to play "Wyoming"

THE PLAN:

1) Take advantage of the fact that "New York" is on sale at a discount until 8th December

2) Grind "Wyoming" to get XP to research "New York"

3) Research and buy "New York" then put the ship to one side until later (few weeks/months later)

4) I have flags AND Premium account to boost XP gains per battle

THE PROBLEM  : 

- Grinding Wyoming is the problem.

- I have 8,389 XP and need another 13,411 to research "New York".

- At this rate I'll need about 30 battles!  I'll go mad long before then. (And probably run out of time on the special offer as well)

I just had three awful defeats in Wyoming, where I can only honestly say that bad luck was a factor in only one of them ( I spawned away from my team and got focussed as I tried to catch up with the rest of the fleet). I can't even get my daily win bonus. I'm trying to keep with my team, not trying to snip, angling the ship towards the enemy. I am completely stuck. 

P.S. On the IJN line, I did grind my way through Kawachi and Myogi, and now have Kongo (though I admit that I don't understand that ship either)

Beta Tester
716 posts
10,671 battles

On US BB tree you will suffer untill you get in NC, the ships are VERY slow and the range is poor, stock or not.  If you can live throu 7 tiers on US tree you will be rewarded with NC that is pretty good even stock, and after the Iowa, wich is even greater, Montana is good but for me Iowa is better. On IJN the story starts with Kongo (dont know why you have problems in her, probably stock), very good ship, fast and pretty agile and the range is greater than US counterparts up till NC, the only gap will be Izumo, Izumo must be grinded throu to get Yamato, to become the largest target on the field.  All IJN BB need to be upgraded to shine.

I see you want to try both nations to see whats best for you, i gave you my personal opinion, its only up to you what to play, each nation has its own ups and downs and its up to you to find them and make a choice. Cant comment on your problem of grinding, maybe BB arent your thing. Otherwise just swallow the pain if you actually want to play on good ship.

Players
568 posts
5,211 battles

Well, if I am perfectly honest I am not a big fan of the Wyoming.

Yes, it has twelve 305mm guns, which is a lot, but they are short ranged and very inaccurate. Add to this the lack of speed and the effect that the enemy spots you 2km out of your effective range and you have the reasons why I do not like her that much. It might sound like heresy, but I like the Myogi better.

I think the skills you need most to make the ship work is being able to stay alive (by using terrain, angling, reading your opponents and managing your resources) and your ability to plan your movements and anticipate events (since your slow speed does not allow you to get out of a bad situation). I feel the best way to play this ship is to close in and brawl with it whenever realistic and possible, negating your range disadvantage and making the dispersion of your main battery somewhat more manageable, allowing your numerous guns to do work due to sheer volume of fire.

I hope this helps a bit.

Cheers, M

[SAP]
Players
216 posts
2,054 battles

Its been a long time since i played it. But i think you can take the advantage of the fact that she super dreadnought, hard to citadel her. 

I think general BB rules apply here, but play it bit more.... seems n00bish, but youll keep dmg rolling. Id say use HE most of times, the big shells have nice fire chance. use AP only when enemy BB other than wyo or NY is broadside or if cruiser is broadside. plan ahead for changing of ammo. I was pretty early in the game on her, but have generally good memories of her. She can spin on a dime, rendering aerial torpedoing least of your concerns, alway fly straigth on into the bombers. 

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,409 posts
14,616 battles

I remember my first games with Wyoming as a nightmare, but not for the ship itself, but for the terrible teams. Cruisers and DDs tend to rush ahead and die before you can even make your guns sing (let alone hit something) and then you have to face alone the enemy cruisers with those rapidfire HE shooters and the destroyers with its dangerous torpedoes.

The "good point" is that the rest of US Battleships up to Colorado in tier 7 are similar (but with increasingly better guns, with tier 6 New Mexico being probably the cream of the crop, and better team mates as you progress the tiers) so you learn a lot with the previous ships. Consider it as the start of your learning process.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

It's worth pushing through to the upgraded hull as fast as possible. It's not shown anywhere, but the hull upgrade improves your range. With that and the better FCS you can shoot to 14km, at which point it actually becomes quite a nice ship to play (and fairly similar in feel to the New York that comes after).

[POP]
Players
167 posts
3,204 battles

I think with Wyoming your biggest advantage is that most CC captains at tier 4 severely underestimate BBs and show plenty of broadside to citadel. Also other low tier BBs are little threat to Wyoming as long as you keep her angled.

• Stay close to islands if possible when closing in to enemy to avoid long range CC HE spam. Follow the map for enemy DDs spottings and adjust your heading and speed when sailing past islands to avoid being torped.
  • Only show your broadside to other BBs when firing. Also helps against CCs to provide smaller silhouette.
  • As with any ship, situational awareness is key to victory. Keep checking the map, where are your allies and where are enemy DDs most importantly.
  • Be patient, only shoot when you have good target. BBs can take punishment and they reload long, so waiting 10 seconds for enemy to show broadside or even new target of opportunity to pop up is often better than to miss hasty shot.
  • Don't shoot whole broadsides unless you are sure you will hit the target. Citadel hits hurt a lot, so it is often better to ripple fire and follow up the shots to actually land a few rather than miss all.
  • Avoid tunnel visioning by always holding the right mouse button and checking your surroundings between the salvos.
  • Play CCs and DDs. You'll learn what are their strengths and weaknesses vs BBs!

I was somewhat lucky with Wyoming myself; on my 15 matches with her I had 65k average damage despite only 47% win rate. But I'd say you can't blame only luck either, Wyoming is an excellent tier 4 BB.

Edited by makhot

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

- I have 8,389 XP and need another 13,411 to research "New York".

- At this rate I'll need about 30 battles!  I'll go mad long before then. (And probably run out of time on the special offer as well)

if this were true, it would mean you were the absolute worst captain in the history of WoWS - which you're not. That would work out to something like 450 average XP per battle, which with premium and flags factored in would mean you'd have to pretty much be dead last in your team every single time base XP wise. Which, frankly, would be an achievement even in the Karlsruhe, let alone the Wyoming. Take your time, get a feel for the guns, shoot the right ammo at the right targets.

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Many thanks for everyone who took the trouble to reply.  :honoring:

@Azalgor: "On IJN the story starts with Kongo (dont know why you have problems in her, probably stock), very good ship, fast and pretty agile..." 

-- My "Kongo" is fully upgraded and only one ship gives my more damage per battle than her. I should love her, but I just feel ...meh!

@Azalgor: ".. maybe BB arent your thing."

-- When I first saw this game I thought that I would be mostly a BB player, but sadly I think that you may be right.

@Meneleus:  "I feel the best way to play this ship is to close in and brawl with it whenever realistic and possible..."

-- Yes. that does generate more damage & XP before being sunk. Thank You.

@T0rad: "She can spin on a dime, rendering aerial torpedoing least of your concerns, alway fly straigth on into the bombers."

-- True, she's nimble. Though, I tend to tunnel-vision in Wyoming in the heat of battle (more than in other ships) until aware of the dreaded "dit-dit, dit-dit, DIT-DIT, DIT-DIT" audible warning of torpedoes.

@JapLance: Very good points about how dependent you are on your team mates.

@_Flyto_: "It's worth pushing through to the upgraded hull as fast as possible."

-- Completely correct about the upgrades. The positive effects are very noticeable. Now if only I could be upgraded....

@makhot: Lots of useful tips. Thank You.

-- The tip about "ripple fire" was particularly effective.

@Tyrendian89: "if this were true, it would mean you were the absolute worst captain in the history of WoWS - which you're not. That would work out to something like 450 average XP per battle..."

-- (I wasn't the one who gave you a down vote)

-- You may be observing the truth, at least with regard to "Wyoming". According to the WoWS website, "Players" tab, my average XP in "Wyoming" is 502.37. Dividing this into the 13,411 to research "New York" gives 13411/502.37 = 26.695 battles!

THE BOTTOM LINE

I played a few more games, then used free XP to research "New York".

Then I bought "New York" and she is waiting in port until I can finish my one remaining WoWS project - to get the Russian DD "Kiev".

In the future, then I will try Battleships again to find out once-and-for all if I have the temperament to play these wonderfui ships.

Edited by Admiral_H_Nelson

Beta Tester
468 posts
4,890 battles

The New York is pretty damn similar to the Wyoming, so good luck. I've got an Arkansas which is basically a Wyoming except in some details, and it's kicking [edited]. If you want some replays or whatever to evaluate it just give me a shout! Since I assume you've (rage)-sold your Wyoming going in a division with it is not really an option any more, I do not have any tier 5 ships to have a go with that NY so that is not an option for me.

As with many things i don't think just text can give you the information you need to get better. All there is to say is that indeed a lot of improvement is required :P If Wyoming is anything like the Arkansas right now it should be nearly godlike, if a tad slow, but the speed doesn't change much as you go up in the tiers, mostly just armor and firepower until way up on tier 8.

Players
568 posts
5,211 battles

Then I bought "New York" and she is waiting in port until I can finish my one remaining WoWS project - to get the Russian DD "Kiev". In the future, then I will try Battleships again to find out once-and-for all if I have the temperament to play these wonderfui ships.

Congratulations on the New York! I found battleships tend to differ quite a bit from one another. I guess the trick is to find what kind of battleship suits you best and go with that.

Cheers, M

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

@Tyrendian89: "if this were true, it would mean you were the absolute worst captain in the history of WoWS - which you're not. That would work out to something like 450 average XP per battle..."
-- (I wasn't the one who gave you a down vote)
-- You may be observing the truth, at least with regard to "Wyoming". According to the WoWS website, "Players" tab, my average XP in "Wyoming" is 502.37. Dividing this into the 13,411 to research "New York" gives 13411/502.37 = 26.695 battles!

THE BOTTOM LINE

I played a few more games, then used free XP to research "New York".

Then I bought "New York" and she is waiting in port until I can finish my one remaining WoWS project - to get the Russian DD "Kiev".

In the future, then I will try Battleships again to find out once-and-for all if I have the temperament to play these wonderfui ships.

yeah I did see that, but that number doesn't include flags or the first win of the day bonus afaik... Anyway, good on you for just skipping a ship you weren't feeling! Sure hope the New York works out better for you! If it doesn't, maybe you might want to consider uploading a replay or two on here so we can analyse where you can improve together with you? Like this it's kind of hard to give you substantial advice...

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles

I like the Wyoming. The 6x2 guns are such a huge advantage over the 3x2 of the Myogi. Although they're a lower calibre, you can get more citadel hits / salvo. You also have 2x2 guns on the front and back of the ship, whereas the Myogi has 1x2 and 2x2 respectively. So you can more effectively engage the enemy when sailing towards them (with the Wyoming). Even though you still lose 2/3 of your fire power, like the Myogi, you still have double the amount of guns you can use. And the difference in damage done with a citadel hit is negligible in my opinion (8300 vs 10000).

I haven't played the Wyoming a lot yet, as I just started the USN BB line, but I already had multiple occasions where I landed 3+ citadel hits in a salvo (8-12 rounds). Whereas with the Myogi I could only hope to get 3+ citadel hits in the entire game. :)

But maybe you should know I really didn't like the Myogi (at all) and therefore I'd always choose the Wyoming over the Myogi.

[PST]
[PST]
Alpha Tester
475 posts
5,151 battles

well.. my 3 runs with wyoming yesterday

first run = 9 citadels 4kills at mostly 11km range. :izmena:

secound run = 0 citadels 3 kills between 2-11km range :teethhappy:

third and enrage run. = 0 citadels 1 kill 22 hits. and bonus. shooting at a DD afk 3km range 3 full broadsides  all misses. :amazed: then he came back to the game and torped me to death.. :child:

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
3,207 posts
10,386 battles

Just updating that I really, really like the Wyoming. I have (atm) 54 kills in 26 matches with it; I like very much!

Edited by lup3s

[PST]
[PST]
Alpha Tester
475 posts
5,151 battles

well Wyoming is good.

even got more dammage caused than the other tiers i got.

but it got a super rng shotgun that one barrage can oneshot anything incl BB and other times it cant hit a DD in 2-3km range. (including the Secoundaries.... )

Beta Tester
4,099 posts
732 battles

I honestly don't feel the Wyoming as a let down...

She is sure slow, and her range is not good. However, when fully upgraded I find that she can absorb quite some damage, and she's not helpless against torpedo bombers. Her biggest advantage are the guns; if I use them carefully, I usually can dish out quite a bit of punishment; and if I have a DD hot on my heels, I am confident that I'm gonna hurt him, and that with some luck I can take him down.

[PST]
[PST]
Alpha Tester
475 posts
5,151 battles

Wyoming is one of the first ships you can buy upgraded range module for more range.

So its not as bad as it seems first.

but yes, she is slow. but with the amount of guns, either you oneshot a enemy ship or all shots go everywhere

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

There have been some excellent and helful replies in this thread. Many thanks to everyone. :honoring:

They all go to show that the premise in the OP was correct:

".... but the problem is ME, not Wyoming. I don't know what I am doing in her."

Actually this seems to be true of all Battleships for me.   I don't suck at Cruisers or Destroyers, so I am not a terrible player. I obviously don't get on with BBs. :(

I don't think that my heart is really in them, TBH. 

:red_button:

Players
189 posts
2,898 battles

Hi

Firstly I see your hit rate is low, I would hazard a guess you are playing rather defensively and taking your time with the ship at range. The best battleship players are the ones who play as aggressive and close ranged as possible whilst surviving the whole course of the battle. The correct role is to deal damage but also to receive which can be equally as important. The main goal is initially to get into close range about 10km with an enemy cruiser and start firing salvos all at once which will in my opinion yield better accuracy rather than a staggered shot. Try to bully one ship at a time and never take on several at once. Always focus the DDs and CAs, BBs should usually be left till last if possible. If you still cannot get used to the wyoming then it is probable that you will not enjoy most of the USA BB up to rank 8 at least since they are all very similar in play style. I personally am a good player, I cannot play cruisers to save my life, everyone usually just has their own innate way of playing and that can take a long time to change. I tend to believe that cruisers are a far more passive and defensive style of play, probable that just suits you more.

GL

Edited by LittleGentleman

Players
207 posts
2,514 battles

It's been a good while since I played it now, and it was only my second BB ever after the South Carolina so my fairly crap stats in it reflects that. Not that even my best BB stats are much to brag about, but I have at least improved somewhat, so I'll give my 2 cents at least: If my memory serves, USS Wyoming isn't a particularly good ship, but not really terrible either. She's got a lot of guns, but their accuracy appears dodgy even for a BB - so your artillery is a bit of a case of "throw enough crap at the wall and hope some of it sticks". And yeah, like others have mentioned, forget about relying on long-range fire - of course, take pot shots at stuff at long range as opportunity allows, but the US BBs of the low and intermediate tiers are brawlers, not snipers. Mid to short-ish range is where you'll do any consistent damage. With a bit of angling and a bit of luck, the Wyoming, like the South Carolina, New York and New Mexico, can take quite a beating.

The Wyoming's true achilles heel is the same as all the US BBs of tiers 3 through 6: You're slow as s***. If you're in the wrong place, getting to the right place will take forever. You'll often find that your team leaves you behind. You can't chase after an enemy who runs away, and similarly you can't run away from anything if you find that you have to retreat. The one upside mobility-wise of these US BBs is that they are typically quicker to turn(quicker rudder shift+tighter turning circle) than their IJN counterparts, making them better at dodging torpedoes, but yeah, other than that you have about the same tactical flexibility as an iceberg.

Beta Tester
51 posts
569 battles

What is 'normal' accuracy for this ship? My overall main gun accuracy over all ships is 42% (at least per the in game stats) but the last three battles in this ship I have hit 7/42 (16.7%) 14/56 (25%) and 18/108 (16.7%). Many of those shots were at relatively close range (as close as 6 km in the first two battles). 

[PKTZS]
Weekend Tester
2,409 posts
14,616 battles

What is 'normal' accuracy for this ship? My overall main gun accuracy over all ships is 42% (at least per the in game stats) but the last three battles in this ship I have hit 7/42 (16.7%) 14/56 (25%) and 18/108 (16.7%). Many of those shots were at relatively close range (as close as 6 km in the first two battles). 

According to Warships Today, the average is about 22%, which is the 2nd lowest of all tier 4 BBs.

tier4bbs.jpg

tier4bbs.jpg

Beta Tester
51 posts
569 battles

According to Warships Today, the average is about 22%, which is the 2nd lowest of all tier 4 BBs.

tier4bbs.jpg

Ok my accuracy with it seems about average then, maybe a little below... hard to tell with a small sample size. Thanks for that :)
Edited by DracheimFlug

[H_FAN]
Players
1,943 posts
22,590 battles

Ok my accuracy with it seems about average then, maybe a little below... hard to tell with a small sample size. Thanks for that :)

It is also important to see how much damage per hit, if you like to fire on hopeless targets or as soon you are in range it may disturb the figures. If you have a too good figure you may withold your fire to much.

Some fights with very good results due f.e. to short distance can skew the results a lot if the sample size is small. It is also important if you have range range upgrade as you probably will fire more with it. And when it is upgraded wait a little so the stats have improved with the better hull etc.

My Wyoming performances also went up a lot after I returned to the ship when I reached US tier 7-8 something. Suddenly your skill was far better so if you have bad or good results compared to serveraverage is also dependent if this is you first BB line or if you are a veteran. The German BB line when it was realesed were filled with a large portion of veterans that has long before grinded the UD/IJN trees, so its stats were maybe too good from start , now these factors are gone..