You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Rogue_6

Destroyer visability bug

47 comments in this topic

Players
74 posts
5,635 battles

Dear developers

I have had a couple of incidents where I have been within 2km of an enemy destroyer and not been able to see him, the last incident the destroyer appeared at 1.5km, he did not use smoke and I had a spotter aircraft right over him, I know they have a bonus on detection but 1.5k.. that's ridiculous!

Players
74 posts
5,635 battles

Sorry I don't have a replay.

Last incident happened in open water, I knew where the destroyer was, headed straight for his position, was on right click view trying to spot him when he appeared right in my field of view at 1.5k 

This has only been happening since the.last update, just thought you.should know.

Players
114 posts
17,578 battles

I've had ships disappear right in front of me, the other day a cruiser passed between me and another cruiser I was fighting with and as I moved to shell him as well ( he had low health ) he just vanished. Didn't see smoke or fog, I zoomed in and then out and he didn't reappear so I carried on the fight. Its happened with battleships just vanishing as well even when close and within gun range. But you'll get told here that there isn't a problem, that its your eyes sight or something else. They wont admit that its  been this problem for a lot of us. When they finally give us a simple way to record our battles, they will have all the proof they want. I refuse to mess with game files so I'll wait until the option is on the menu. Then we'll show 'em.

Players
114 posts
17,578 battles

The only thing I can think of is packet loss desync.

As for not wanting to mess with game files it is so simple and easy there is a step by step on the forum.

I'll look into it again but on the subject of recording, any idea when it will be available as a simple function within a menu?

[BSPAS]
Beta Tester
122 posts
7,564 battles

Maybe they accidentally let loose the Bermuda triangle map in the latest update and the effects carry to other maps.

tumblr_m2tffaiCuu1qerh0wo1_500.gif

On a serious note, I too have had such encounters.

• Cool 1

Players
1,952 posts
6,544 battles

So does anyone know if its possible to exploit "bugs" like these? :hiding:

Seriously though the lowest you can get a DDs detection range is ~4.7km. The auto detect range is 2km so it is impossible to be within 2km and not be detected.

[CATS]
Players
19,850 posts
12,377 battles

Be sensible, if the ship went behind a big island then this thread would not exist :popcorn:

We had such an example in the past.

And many people are unable to recognize smoke.

Players
174 posts
863 battles

We had such an example in the past.

And many people are unable to recognize smoke.

Thats not what this is, definitely something bermuda'ish about some DD's

[NAVOC]
Players
721 posts

I have had a couple of incidents where I have been within 2km of an enemy destroyer and not been able to see him, the last incident the destroyer appeared at 1.5km, he did not use smoke and I had a spotter aircraft right over him, I know they have a bonus on detection but 1.5k.. that's ridiculous!

It's a premium consumable DD's have called "Klingon Cloaking Device".

Now on topic, check:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/36553-spotting-mechanics/

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Battle_Mechanics_(WoWS)#Spotting_Mechanics

Players
174 posts
863 battles

lol this game just gets more and more ridiculous, if your going to take the risk of getting to with in spitting distance of him and manage to get there by avoiding about 4 salvoes of torps then its only right you should be able to see him at point blank range.

Torps shouldn't even arm at under 2KM, is it really so difficult for some people to hit a 600 ft ship at 2KM? go play candy crush....

Cloaking Device, Good Grief....

Edited by Humbug_1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

Packet loss has caused this same effect in online games since internet was invented... still new topic of this same thing pops up every week in Wows forum... "thumbs up, if you read this at 2021?"

Players
174 posts
863 battles

Packet loss has caused this same effect in online games since internet was invented... still new topic of this same thing pops up every week in Wows forum... "thumbs up, if you read this at 2021?"

20 seconds of lost packets you wouldn't be connected to the internet, i don't buy it, why so specific to one ship? coincidently its just the DD that goes invisible when your lose packets, but you can still see a haze of smoke when he powers his engines up?

I think people know what packet loss is and this isn't that.

Edited by Humbug_1

Beta Tester
1,989 posts
5,468 battles

Sorry I don't have a replay.

Last incident happened in open water, I knew where the destroyer was, headed straight for his position, was on right click view trying to spot him when he appeared right in my field of view at 1.5k 

This has only been happening since the.last update, just thought you.should know.

What's right click view? If that is zoom mode, then the answer is that smoke isn't displayed when you are in zoom, at least not for me. As for the missing 500m between 2km and 1.5km, the game does visibility checks every so often, so if he was at 2.1km at one moment for the check and you head straight towards each other at full speed, then it can happen that several 100m pass before the next spot check happens. This time interval can also be lenghened by lag/packet loss, something I have seen a bit more often than usual the last couple of days

edit to add: if your spotter plane is right above him and he is in smoke it won't spot him when his AA guns are turned off. 

Edited by Crooq_Lionfang

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

20 seconds of lost packets you wouldn't be connected to the internet, i don't buy it, why so specific to one ship? coincidently its just the DD that goes invisible when your lose packets, but you can still see a haze of smoke when he powers his engines up?

I think people know what packet loss is and this isn't that.

It is specific to one ship, if HE is the one having packet loss... 20 seconds? not completely impossible scenario.

Players
174 posts
863 battles

It is specific to one ship, if HE is the one having packet loss... 20 seconds? not completely impossible scenario.

Even if he's still in the game after 20 seconds of lost packets he'd be beaming to different parts of the game, if there is no data received by the servers for that length of time the distance between the last known position and the eventual received position is massive.

He certainly wouldn't be turning, firing torps and adjusting his engines during that because the server isn't receiving input from him.

Edited by Humbug_1

[SCRUB]
Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles

Even if he's still in the game after 20 seconds of lost packets he'd be beaming to different parts of the game, if there is no data received by the servers for that length of time the distance between the the last known position and the eventual received position is massive.

He certainly wouldn't be turning, firing torps and adjusting his engines during that because the server isn't receiving input from him.

Well, in order to get clear picture of this, we should see the replay.. I personally think that your 20 seconds is exaggarated etc.... but yeah, what ever the case.... No screenshot, no replay, so, like they say: "it never happened"

Players
174 posts
863 battles

Well, in order to get clear picture of this, we should see the replay.. I personally think that your 20 seconds is exaggarated etc.... but yeah, what ever the case.... No screenshot, no replay, so, like they say: "it never happened"

Its not exaggerated, I agree but we should not have to be recording constantly to capture stuff that the devs should be finding themselves.
Edited by Humbug_1