Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
YuriPRIME

Option to lock bow or aft oriented turrets at default positions.

8 comments in this topic

Players
3 posts
1,144 battles

Hello, I'm bit new to this forum, although been enjoying the game for a while now and just thought of an option that could be really great addition and solve some balancing issues with ships that lack the turret traverse speed. I've used the search option to see if such suggestion was made, but couldn't find it so far, so here it goes:

There are ships that have certain problems traversing turrets, Battleships of course and couple (especially Japanese) lighter boats. Furutaka is a great example of a ship which could be potentially very good at agressive angling, but it's firing rate decreases significantly when tight maneuvers are in progress, simply the turrets can't keep up. Similarly Battleships have this problem, when all of their turrets, even though not firing at the enemy, since he's far out of arc in the chosen angle of attack, still desperately try to reach the reticle at all cost. They are not needed, and quite frankly having them face backwards would be much more useful, especially if we have reasons to predict someone to approach us from behind, or we can change the course without having them swing aaaaalll the way from the other side.

Instead of boosting stats on traverse, which would be pointless, how about turning it into part of the gameplay mechanic?

I would propose having two buttons (which isn't much) that upon hit, would cause bow or aft oriented turrets return to their default positions and stay locked, and upon another hit, they'd be released following the reticle once again.

What would that mean in effect:

• If we are cruising head on target and not using our aft guns, we can get them ready for a change of course to the opposite side (it also makes sense, since I don't know why me, as a captain can't just tell the lousy gits to set the guns straight :P)
  • It's still based on assessment and decision of the player! The decision of turning the slow turrets back or forth still takes time, so the player, which has to plan ahead such gun rotation must be aware of the surrounding. If he makes a wrong call, cause he thinks someone may get him from behind, but such event doesn't happen, he just wasted long seconds of his turrets traversing, whereas they could be ready for a full broadside at the next turn.
  • It gives flexibility to BB captains, If they just noticed some destroyer or fast cruiser heading their way and taking an obvious turn to the opposite side where their guns were pointing, they can order the aft batteries to start turning ahead of time. Cruisers like Furutaka or some japanese DDs would gain balancing power based on skill and wise use of a mechanic that still can be outsmarted. 
  • It does not hamper the weakness of slow turret traversing vessels, they still turn slowly, just can be ordered to do that ahead of time... and once again it can bite the captain in the butt if he makes a wrong call
  • It won't make much difference to ships with fast turret traverse speed... since they are quite fast with turning their turrets in the first place. They can keep up with whatever anyway.
  • BBs could profit due to optional firing capabilities, potentially shooting now back and forth, switching between frontal and aft batteries, giving more fire coverage to their teams and overall be more useful without sacrificing more mobility they already lack.

So let's say you got just two buttons: F and V for Bow and Aft respectively, I think it wouldn't be a big of a deal to code, and could certainly give a solid edge in defensive for BBs, but again, only to captains who know how to use such option. And I believe that to be the key - it's player driven option, and it unloads whole load of frustration when I know I'm gonna need the guns turned to the other side, but I still keep the target on my opposite arc for the time being, watching how the aft batteries sit there, looking to my left, doing nothing, whereas I'm gonna need them in few moments on the right side. It's a very simple solution, not perfect, but one which could provide players with a bit more precise control of their ships without handing out changes in stats. Slow turret traversing ships therefore would simply require more skill to use properly, but I believe in hands of good players that could be a solid and interesting mechanic.

Just a suggestion. What do you think? Is it worth giving certain ships boost through stats or rather mechanics which engage the player?

• Cool 5

[SV2]
Beta Tester
234 posts
1,819 battles

good idea, never tought of it but still as im a BB guy i want this to implemented.:)

• Cool 1

Players
3 posts
1,144 battles

It's really something very basic when you think about it, especially when you try to 'force' the aft turrets by awkwardly wagging the reticle to the other side at current state. It's also kinda frustrating :)

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator
3,691 posts
5,781 battles

This was suggested many times in both Alpha and Beta. One of the first things I suggested on the forum was to allow separate grouping of rear and front turrets. The devs responded that they did not see any need for it. I disagree. Even on aesthetic grounds it would be nice to be able to sail your ship with the forward turrets facing forwards and the aft turrets facing aft. 

• Cool 1

Players
3 posts
1,144 battles

Well I don't mean having them in separate groups, if devs think it's better to have them grouped all as one, cool. But having ability to just lock the forward/aft facing turrets on their default positions would be enough. It's not like you're able to abuse the system multitasking, since by all means the turrets are being locked into a fixed position, until unlocking them, it's not like you can make use of them and even then, it's still in the same group. And yeah now that you mention it, having turrets facing respective ways just for sailing around would be nice.

[ST-EU]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
1,902 posts
3,681 battles

Definitely something I want implemented, it's very tiring flicking the mouse back and forth in my Warspite.

As well as it would make for some very nice photo shoots. 

Maybe using Ctrl + (insert key here) in the same way Ctrl + x works in game already.

[TORCH]
[TORCH]
Beta Tester
439 posts
8,406 battles

I think the idea would be good, because lets be real, turrets were not made to follow 1 target like they do in this game, and i yes i know this is a game, but the option to actually face m front or rear guns where I as the player want them to be would be great, can see it becoming useful in certain circumstances. 

[HNS]
Players
726 posts
10,003 battles

As Hanszehock already said above, this is something that has been suggested again. To my opinion, a mechanism to distinguish the movement between the forward and aft turrets (in any form) should have been already implemented to the game.

Especially for BBs, this is extremely crucial due to the traverse time needed. Game-play-wise, realistically and aesthetically  it makes sense.
I cannot understand why the developers do not see this.

Sign in to follow this