Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Procrastes

Is there any reason not to take the Situation Awareness skill on cruisers and battleships?

20 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,604 posts
2,809 battles

I have a question.

I have so far chosen the captaincy skill "Situation Awareness" only on my destroyers. On cruisers I go for "Basic Firing Training" and on battleships for "Basics of Survivability", and then I move on up the skill tree. I usually shoot as soon as I get a good opportunity when I'm in a cruiser or a battleship, and assume I am spotted at the very latest as soon as I open fire.

But I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to choose "Situation Awareness" as a first or second skill on all my ships? It only costs one skill point after all, so I won't lose much headway up the skill tree. And it's always good to know when I am spotted.

[ADRIA]
Beta Tester
814 posts
16,823 battles

It is great on cruisers, especially IJN which have low detection range. You can stop shooting and go invisible and know when it is safe to turn.

For battleships, it is very useful too - you will always know when a destroyer is stalking you.

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
1,805 posts
9,367 battles

I'm also using Situational Awareness on my IJN Cruisers.

At t9 and t10 with the fire range module and the detectability reduction skill (lvl 5) you can even stay invisible with IJN Cruisers while shooting at long range.

For that it is important to know when you are spotted by close DDs or other invisible ships.

As for BBs, here I use basics of survivability and expect to always be spotted. Imo fires are a more serious threat for them so getting rid of fires has higher priority as I am often changing course and with that already avoid most ship torpedoes launched at me.

Beta Tester
2,604 posts
2,809 battles

But dou you have both the "Situation Awareness" and the "Basic Firing Training" skill on those cruisers? I'm unsure as to how much I lose if I choose two skills from the first rank...!

Edited by Procrastes

[ST-EU]
Supertest Coordinator, Alpha Tester
1,805 posts
9,367 battles

For the moment I only took situation awareness. Getting skill points is hard at higher captain levels and because of that my first priority right now is to get a lvl 5 skill on the IJN Cruiser captains.

After that I'm taking aditional low-level skills until I hit the 19 points mark that currently is the maximum of skill points you can distribute for one captain.

The last point is worth 1 million xp, so aiming for a 18 point set and using a less important 1 point skill as backup should you reach that 19th point is a good idea. E.g. "Basics of Survivability" as 19th point for Cruiser or "Basic Firing Training" for most BBs.

[OMNI]
Players
341 posts
8,205 battles

For your BB's, spend the points on stuff that gives a more direct benefit. Once you've played a bit more, you will develop a certain playing style and at some point you will know whether you need it or not. I use it on my BB's, but there are players who go forever without one. Depends on how you play.

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,445 posts
6,980 battles

I have used it on a BB before and it does have its uses.  I will also most likely return it to some of my BBs when the captain gets skilled enough but there are many skills that are better choices I feel so it will only be added AFTER the more important skills...

[THESO]
Players
735 posts
5,585 battles

Take it. If you have enough time and patience for a skill level 5 captain, you can retrain when you feel like it.

[CATS]
Players
19,853 posts
12,377 battles

Considering the base detection rating is higher than 10 km for BBs and CAs, I do not see much gain from this skill. When you are firing, you are spotted most of the time and therefore the skill does not tell you anything new.

Even if you do not fire, there is a high chance some other ship is in your base detection range and once again the skill does not tell you anthing interesting.

Only if you are far from enemy "capital" ships, the skill makes you aware of enemy DD. But since your detection range is quite large, you cannot know from where to expect an attack.

Just assume that you are always spotted and you will be wrong about only 20 % of the time. And that is at the start and end of the match.

Edited by ColonelPete

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

The Situational Awareness skill is an excellent choice if you are playing DDs and cruisers, especially on the higher tiers, where a few seconds of inattention and a single enemy salvo can really ruin your day.

Not only does it save you from getting hit by enemy shots, but you will also know 100% of the time if you can afford to sail in a straight line or whether an enemy DD is nearby.

However, unless you are willing to spend doubloons or wanna spend time to retrain, I do not recommend aquiring more than one T1 captain skill, because a single skill point can take ages to get at the higher captain levels.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

I use it for all three classes, DD, BB and CA and find it to be mandatory on all of them.

To know something sees you is extremely valuable i find. 

Beta Tester
468 posts
5,440 battles

CVs really rely on it too! If a DD sneaks by the pack you want to know about it, or aircraft for that matter.

The only reason you would not take it is because your ship has such bad (or good) stealth that you can be pretty sure something is or isn't seeing you. For example: If I were playing a Kagero, or hell a Fletcher in random battles with my wicked sick full stealth setup, people are not going to spot you until you're about 5.5-5.8km away. Almost everything with exception of another DD set up in full 100% stealth is going to be seen, and even the full stealth ones have a very slim margin. On the opposite end of the scale is, for example, an unstealthed Fuso or Izumo both of which would be seen from about 19km away. This means that almost every ship on the map is going to be seeing you. These are the only arguments I can think of.

HAVING SAID THAT I do still think having the perk is useful even on these ships in these situations because of a few things, first of all is direct line of sight breakers. If something spots you, and you're in a certain location, you can guess what direction they are spotting you from, especially when you pass by a small island that temporary breaks line of sight. On the stealthy DDs it's good know that when you fire for how much longer you are spotted, even if it is pretty predictable how and when you are spotted with the DDs it's really good know (especially with regards to BB/CA-launched aircraft) for sure when you are or aren't spotted.

It's funny, I once got ridiculed by some complete !(*%@ for suggesting the sixth sense perk was really useful on BBs, and since then I have only read other people recommending it. I've used it on all of my BBs from Kawachi to Yamato to Arkansas etc. Even when I can see pretty much every other ship within the spotting range of these ships, it is really good to know when you have to be nervous about destroyers and when you can just relax in a straight line. The concept of "Just pretend you are permanently spotted" does not work for me since it means you can never go in a straight line and on BBs in particular this kills your forward speed, means you are taking bad angles in BB vs BB fights and you will often not know from which direction torpedoes are likely to come which may result in taking a torpedo spread broadside that's undodgeable..

• Cool 1

[BAD-A]
[BAD-A]
Beta Tester
1,761 posts
17,385 battles

CVs really rely on it too! If a DD sneaks by the pack you want to know about it, or aircraft for that matter.

The only reason you would not take it is because your ship has such bad (or good) stealth that you can be pretty sure something is or isn't seeing you. For example: If I were playing a Kagero, or hell a Fletcher in random battles with my wicked sick full stealth setup, people are not going to spot you until you're about 5.5-5.8km away. Almost everything with exception of another DD set up in full 100% stealth is going to be seen, and even the full stealth ones have a very slim margin. On the opposite end of the scale is, for example, an unstealthed Fuso or Izumo both of which would be seen from about 19km away. This means that almost every ship on the map is going to be seeing you. These are the only arguments I can think of.

HAVING SAID THAT I do still think having the perk is useful even on these ships in these situations because of a few things, first of all is direct line of sight breakers. If something spots you, and you're in a certain location, you can guess what direction they are spotting you from, especially when you pass by a small island that temporary breaks line of sight. On the stealthy DDs it's good know that when you fire for how much longer you are spotted, even if it is pretty predictable how and when you are spotted with the DDs it's really good know (especially with regards to BB/CA-launched aircraft) for sure when you are or aren't spotted.

It's funny, I once got ridiculed by some complete !(*%@ for suggesting the sixth sense perk was really useful on BBs, and since then I have only read other people recommending it. I've used it on all of my BBs from Kawachi to Yamato to Arkansas etc. Even when I can see pretty much every other ship within the spotting range of these ships, it is really good to know when you have to be nervous about destroyers and when you can just relax in a straight line. The concept of "Just pretend you are permanently spotted" does not work for me since it means you can never go in a straight line and on BBs in particular this kills your forward speed, means you are taking bad angles in BB vs BB fights and you will often not know from which direction torpedoes are likely to come which may result in taking a torpedo spread broadside that's undodgeable..

Yes and no really.. Take Fuso for example, on a lot of maps the detected symbol is up as soon as clock ticks to 0... 18km spotting and 23 when firing it is a little pointless really.....

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

That's a good point. At first players may believe using Situational Awareness on a CV is useless because they are typically far away from the frontlines anyway and you got a great view over the battlefield, but once you start playing against high-tier DDs with up to 20KM torpedo range, it is vital to know whether you are spotted or not to ensure you keep moving.

In my first T10 game in the Lexington, I got sunk by 3 Shimakaze torpedos while I was 10-15 KM behind the rest of my teammates.

Taught me a valuable lesson about high-tier CV play.

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

Yes and no really.. Take Fuso for example, on a lot of maps the detected symbol is up as soon as clock ticks to 0... 18km spotting and 23 when firing it is a little pointless really.....

Sometimes you´re not out in the open but maybe navigating through islands and stuff like that so it can be useful even for those types of ships. 

Beta Tester
2,604 posts
2,809 battles

Good posts from everyone and an educating discussion to follow! The sum of it all, for me, is that I will now pick the Situational Awareness skill on all my ships and see how it plays out.

Thanks a bunch, everyone! :honoring:

[PRAVD]
Community Contributor
1,916 posts
8,131 battles

The reason is that often you don't have the luxury of spending those points. Basics of survivability can often save you thousands of HP in a match.

[CR33D]
Players
3,207 posts
17,056 battles

I have a question.

I have so far chosen the captaincy skill "Situation Awareness" only on my destroyers. On cruisers I go for "Basic Firing Training" and on battleships for "Basics of Survivability", and then I move on up the skill tree. I usually shoot as soon as I get a good opportunity when I'm in a cruiser or a battleship, and assume I am spotted at the very latest as soon as I open fire.

But I'm thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to choose "Situation Awareness" as a first or second skill on all my ships? It only costs one skill point after all, so I won't lose much headway up the skill tree. And it's always good to know when I am spotted.

I take it also for my cruisers. It really helps. 

Sign in to follow this