Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Astalano

Do battleships get any better?

19 comments in this topic

Players
66 posts
881 battles

I'm currently at the Myogi, very hit and miss, terrible dispersion, very mediocre damage and very bad survivability. Do battleships get better or should I just drop the class entirely and just go for cruisers and destroyers? I thought battleships would be a very fun class to play but they're just not satisfying so far at all. 

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

Low tier battleships are not very good. But once you get to tier 5 you get some good ones. The tier 6 Fuso is one of the best, tier for tier. And once you get to tier 8+ you get some really good ones.

I believe that I saw some stats at one point that BB's are doing really well at high tiers on average.

Players
66 posts
881 battles

Yes, they do, there is still plenty of RnG, but they do get better.

Is there a battleship with short reload, less damage, less dispersion? Or are they all 30-second reload guns? It just feels like I'm playing with a shotgun ship. I thought battleships would be good at tackling cruisers, but I just get most of my health chewed away by HE before I finish off a cruiser.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

I believe that I saw some stats at one point that BB's are doing really well at high tiers on average.

Well, they do far more damage than cruisers or DDs from tier 6 upwards. Probably even better since carriers were nerfed. Dispersion doesn't generally improve from the Myogi, but you get more guns so it feels less RNG.

The Myogi doesn't have bad survivability though. Just angle well and anticipate torpedoes. It's particularly hard to damage with cruiser gunfire.

[SPUDS]
Players
623 posts
12,172 battles

Astalano, watch IChase Captains Acadamys vids on YouTube. This will help you a lot.

BTW, BBs are not a good class for the inexperianced playeres. You must truely know what you are doing or you end up staying in the back, trying to sniper enemy ships and achive nothing during the course of battle.

Players
66 posts
881 battles

Astalano, watch IChase Captains Acadamys vids on YouTube. This will help you a lot.

BTW, BBs are not a good class for the inexperianced playeres. You must truely know what you are doing or you end up staying in the back, trying to sniper enemy ships and achive nothing during the course of battle.

It's not that I issues with achieving decent results, it's that I have issues with the fact that Battleships are really unsatisfying to play, they're a boring class so far. 

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

BB are not beginner friendly. Also, don't expect too much accuracy on BB's. If they had more, they would proberbly OP. The number of Times I have wrecked DD at 10km are too many to count.

The key to BB isn't theyr accuracy, it is their huge damage per hit potential, large health pool/thick armor and the ability to actually heal.

This means that you can afford to take damage where as others can't. It basicly comes down to learning to angle and make the most use of your health to stay alive long enough to make those big guns pile up the damage.

[JUNK]
Players
849 posts
9,658 battles

Is there a battleship with short reload, less damage, less dispersion? Or are they all 30-second reload guns? It just feels like I'm playing with a shotgun ship. I thought battleships would be good at tackling cruisers, but I just get most of my health chewed away by HE before I finish off a cruiser.

You are on the right path, as far as slightly low dispersion goes. IJN BBs have MUCH better accuracy than USN ones, especially the higher tiers. Most have 30 seconds reload though, unfortunately. The USN T9, Iowa, has 27 seconds if I'm not mistaken, along with a few others.

Players
340 posts
134 battles

We are playing the same game right? 

Well, if you duel cruisers at long range then they'll out-dpm you by hitting your deck armour with HE. If you close the range then they'll hit your side armour and generally do nothing. Unlike most BBs, the Myogi doesn't have much superstructure to aim at.

[SPUDS]
[SPUDS]
Beta Tester
4,481 posts
12,928 battles

Well, if you duel cruisers at long range then they'll out-dpm you by hitting your deck armour with HE. If you close the range then they'll hit your side armour and generally do nothing. Unlike most BBs, the Myogi doesn't have much superstructure to aim at.

the fully upgraded Myogi has a gigant pagoda mast to aim at

Players
66 posts
881 battles

They just aim at the deck structures at close range. 

Players
340 posts
134 battles

the fully upgraded Myogi has a gigant pagoda mast to aim at

It's quite narrow. If they can hit that anywhere near reliably, then you should be hitting them with secondaries if you didn't citadel them already. The Wyoming's much easier to damage with HE.

Players
587 posts
5,313 battles

IJN battleships get good from T5. USN ones arguably do from T4.

You won't get much less than a 30 second reload - that's one of the characteristics of battleships - but it's less painful when you have more than 3 turrets.

Supertest Coordinator
6,336 posts
4,240 battles

Yes they do get better. For you right from upgraded Kongo. Beware though, stock Fuso is awful. Upgraded she's also great.

Reasons to play BBs.

- multiple citadels ruining cruisers day

- high caliber and confederate farmers (if you're doing it right)

- getting set on fire and thinking "pfft don't care"

- dodging torpedoes like a boss

- duelling with other BBs who don't know how to angle :)

- smashing dds with he and secondaries as they try to chase you

Basically *devastating strike* is why we play BBs.

Beta Tester
172 posts
5,702 battles

Try to aim you fire to hit the hull just at the forward turret just above the water line, this seems to get me plenty of citadel hits on my targets. Understand armour angling and the devastating effect of plunging fire ( especially on cruisers ) and you can have a whale of a time in a bb. Dont fall into the trap of the backwards and forwards hide behind islands brigade, or those that consistently hang back either, play your bb aggressively, the only thing you need really fear are torpedoes which you can mitigate to a greater degree by clever positioning, ie, steer into the torpedo runs. Annoy pesky destroyers by enhancing your secondary battery using mods and skills, its funny watching them get hit at 7 clicks and you dont have to lift a finger other than to designate them as your secondary target ( although always putting your back to a dd is a good move ).

Beta Tester
55 posts
5,412 battles

Eh, In my opinion they just have a very high learning curve. Every time I get the successor I always resent it and prefer the predecessor.

It also seems that the U.S get the better BBs generally speaking.  

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

It´s frankly quite brutal to start as BB if you have no past experience of the game. On paper it seems strange since you have the baddest guns on the sea but learning how to not die from DDs, CAs, CVs, other BBs in low tiers as well as managing your repair, heal abilities is quite steep for a completely new player. 

The good thing though is that the balance will swing in your favor for every tier you go up. 

Sign in to follow this