Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
willsanders84

Furutaka's my favourite...

20 comments in this topic

Players
17 posts
6,550 battles

Hi all, nice community, love the game

I've hit the credit wall (tier 8s...) and so I started looking for a ship I can make credits with. I didn't want to buy a premium ship (none of them took my fancy, and I didn't particularly want to spend the money...) and I can't afford to keep buying premium.

Tried low tier BBs, spammy cruisers, suicide DDs, and all the time I felt like I was farming credits, rather than enjoying the game. (I enjoy the higher tier ships I have because at that level you HAVE to concentrate, or it's game over).

Finally went back to Furutaka. I remembered having enjoyed it. And my goodness. It makes you play.

Are there any other Furutaka hardcore out there? If so, I wonder how you've set up your ships? I've gone for all upgraded modules, and;

Captain skills:

Situational awareness

Expert marksman

High alert

(yet to gain) Last stand

(yet to gain) Concealment expert

Upgrades:

Main battery mod 1

Main battery mod 2 (curious to know if people prefer Gun fire control system mod 1 - would it make that much difference under 13km?)

Propulsion mod 1

Thanks in advance for any input from fellow Furutaka lovers. I'm having more fun playing it than I have in any other ship.

Will

Players
42 posts
1,116 battles

Well I can't say I'm the best in it with the reload being a total system shock coming from every cruiser below it but the furutaka is the only ship that has ever gave me a 5 citadel salvo against a cruiser so far so I have to give it props for that. 

[IDEAL]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
669 posts
2,513 battles

Well I can't say I'm the best in it with the reload being a total system shock coming from every cruiser below it but the furutaka is the only ship that has ever gave me a 5 citadel salvo against a cruiser so far so I have to give it props for that. 

Which cruiser?

Because it's easy to get similar salvoes with the Omaha and the Konigs. Depends what you are shooting at of course :)

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

I also love My Furu. Great ship mainly because those 203 will tear appart most ships at her tier.

Players
42 posts
1,116 battles

Which cruiser?

Because it's easy to get similar salvoes with the Omaha and the Konigs. Depends what you are shooting at of course :)

Aoba, I have no idea where it's citadel is other than the usual somewhere in the middle guess so the hit was dumb luck aided by sweet accurate guns, was about 7km away iir. 

Edited by Loha4

[IDEAL]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
669 posts
2,513 battles

Shooting under the funnels on pretty much all ships is always a good spot to start :)

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

While I'm not a fan of the Furutaka in particular due to the low firing rate, I much prefer 203mm cruisers over any 155mm spammers because they have a better firing arc, their HE is more likely to do damage, their AP can do proper damage to BBs and you can citadel enemy cruisers at any range as long as it's not a Cleveland.

Why not use the Myoko, though? It's a stronger Furutaka and it's by far your best-performing cruiser.

Players
17 posts
6,550 battles

I do LOVE the Myoko, but it doesn't really add anything to the play style (in fact, I find it detracts). I find that 203mm guns at tier 5 do incredibly satisfying damage, and that as far as the Aoba and Myoko are concerned, they don't add anything.

The play style in the Furutaka, in my opinion, is perfectly balanced for its tier. At tier 7 combat tends to be at longer ranges, and I don't find it as tactically satisfying. Plus, repair costs get a bit expensive at tier 7+.

But I agree with you about the 155s. Got Mogami recently (and she's a monster) but it's all just a bit spammy. I prefer the Hipper - but again, tier 8 battles tend to be long range slug fests. The Furutaka's tier means you can torp-rush battleships and end up in knife-fights with DDs.

Players
1,976 posts
2,773 battles

I do LOVE the Myoko, but it doesn't really add anything to the play style (in fact, I find it detracts). I find that 203mm guns at tier 5 do incredibly satisfying damage, and that as far as the Aoba and Myoko are concerned, they don't add anything.

They add MORE DAKKA. Which part of the statement "MORE DAKKA" is unappealing and doesn't add anything?

Nothing makes a ship more attractive than a nice fire rate, large amount of turrets and high caliber. Yum.

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

They add MORE DAKKA. Which part of the statement "MORE DAKKA" is unappealing and doesn't add anything?

Nothing makes a ship more attractive than a nice fire rate, large amount of turrets and high caliber. Yum.

But don't forget the old English saying (which I am sure has its equivalent in all other languages):

"One man's meat is another man's poison".

Players
17 posts
6,550 battles

Yes - I agree that more firepower is fun. I remember going from Aoba to Myoko and thinking 'goodness me, this thing's got GUNS'.

But... everything at higher tiers has more firepower. It doesn't necessarily add to the gameplay I don't find. In fact, I think tier 5/6 have the most exciting battles.

• Cool 1

Players
2,772 posts
12,699 battles

Yes - I agree that more firepower is fun. I remember going from Aoba to Myoko and thinking 'goodness me, this thing's got GUNS'.

But... everything at higher tiers has more firepower. It doesn't necessarily add to the gameplay I don't find. In fact, I think tier 5/6 have the most exciting battles.

+1.

You speak for me also.

Beta Tester
193 posts
3,372 battles

Sorry Furutaka. You've been my favourite for a long, long time now - but I've just bought a Koningsberg.

Players
44 posts
4,071 battles

I do love the shift from low caliber to high caliber. And i do not feel the pain of having a long reload time because i play the furutaka like a battleship that citadels the cruisers. I actually managed to citadel a new York once, 

The 203 mm work wonders on many kinds of ships and i love it so. Also the torpedos are 10 km which is the same for the tier 6 japanese destroyer mutsuki. The firing arc is also really good, you can shoot in all sorts of angles.

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,870 battles

Furutaka is not a bad ship, especially after the buffs it got. The 203mm guns are quite strong for its tier and the torps can be fired from a really good angle. The only people that say it's bad are those who cannot get used to cruiser that isn't just spamming shells (I'm not saying those are bad players, they probably just cannot get used to a different playstyle). You can citadel other cruisers on your tier and above relatively easy, but since the reload is slower than on other cruisers I recommend keeping a certain distance where you can avoid incoming shells while reloading :great:

[FAM]
Alpha Tester
2,435 posts
7,140 battles

Aoba does add a lot. Better bow armor, better gun distribution, longer range, actually good AA, the faster turning 203 turrets except germans high tiers, 6 secs rudder shift time.

Aoba is quite an upgrade from Furutaka both in specs and possible tactics. The only thing you'll miss are torp angles.

[BTS]
Players
1,064 posts
4,867 battles

Indeed, after having bought back Furutaka out of curiosity, I moved to Aoba as soon as the capt got enough experience. Furutaka is fine, but Aoba is better by a margin that's unusual in a single tier difference.

[JRM]
Players
660 posts
10,858 battles

Furutaka scores citadels like crazy on other cruisers. Only thing i noticed is that its main components are destroyed easy and often, like steering and propulsion but it has to have weak side otherwise this is a ruler on the map. But is great ship, not because of torps but because of citadel hits and also it is real credits maker. I don't know how is Adoba.

[EW_YK]
Players
439 posts
10,686 battles

Well I played the Furutaka again after the buff and I still can not stand it and I know how to use the 203 mm guns but the turret turning time is horrible and that reload :( . IMHO anything above it like Aoba or Myoko are a world better than the Furu but everybody has there personal choice. For Furu I would suggest anything that increases the range on your ship so you have some wiggle room while others are shooting at you and always use AP on anything except DD's for those if possible use HE it'll chew up there HP in at most 2 good salvos :)

Sign in to follow this