Ictogan

Is the stock Fuso crap or is it just me?

38 comments in this topic

[TTT]
Players
1,841 posts
7,390 battles

I have recently unlocked the Fuso and it feels absolutely terrible compared to the Kongo. The only advantages it has are a larger number of guns and more armor. However, this doesn`t apply to deck armor.

Almost every time I`ve encountered an enemy BB, they have been able to fire at me before I could fire at them. And they usually are able to take about a third of my HP per salvo at long ranges because of the terrible deck armor of the stock Fuso.

I`ve only gotten in higher tier battles so far, so I can`t judge how well it performs in battles with lower Tier ships, but from my current experience it just seems that the Fuso is a really bad ship. When I had the Kongo, I wasn`t afraid to attack even Nagatos because 75% of them seem to be too stupid to angle their armor properly. However with the Fuso I`m afraid to attack any other BBs, because they usually seem to inflict a lot of damage to me before I can even get in range. I can do a lot of damage when I get into range, but so could I with the Kongo.

So am I just crapat playing the Fuso or is it a bad ship? And does it get better with the upgrades and in which order should I get the upgrades?

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

"stock Fuso" - and that's the entirety of your problem summed up in two words. Just look at what the upgrades (B hull to be precise) get you. Yes, IJN BBs are rather craptastic in stock config, but they all become absolute beasts with their upgrades, way outperforming their opposite numbers from the ISN in terms of damage dealt. So freeXP the B hull asap and then enjoy what I think is the best battleship in the game tier for tier by a wide margin.

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,556 posts
1,899 battles

A lot of stock battleships are just crap, especially the old ones that were made around WW1. They just simply can't compete with those build later.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
14,759 posts
10,885 battles

It is not that bad. Stay in cover and if the numbers allow it, sail straight for the enemy. Do not show your broadside. You can tank a lot of damage that way. At close range, your guns will hurt a lot.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
615 posts
1,251 battles

Yes, the Fuso is about the worst stock ship in the game.  That said it does get pretty good once upgraded, it's just getting the upgrades that's a pain.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
814 posts
13,625 battles

Free xp the B hull asap.

In case you haven't noticed, doing that alone increases your range up to 19km or so :) and adds armor, I guess. I'm not sure really.

Fuso is a beast, quite possibly the second best battleship at its tier in game (first one is of course Yamato).

• Cool 1

Players
812 posts
3,454 battles

I'm proud to say I didn't skipped stock Fuso. Because of the terrible range with the first hull, i played somewhat cruiserlike (close to islands to get in range against enemy bb's and cruisers), but with that tactic you have to be lucky and don't run into DDs xD

Fully upgraded the Fuso is a beast with 6 turrets and excellent range, speed and good accuracy...my favourite ship so far.

• Cool 1

Players
8 posts
1,136 battles

Fuso needs a major buff on the stock range or on citadel placement in it, for now it's unplayable (unless it's WG's intention to make you pay for free exp).

Doesn't matter how you angle it - you are dead before you reach the enemy bb's, I just got a quadruple cit pen from nowhere....

I have 56% WR but every time i take the stock Fuso I'm the first to die. :angry:

Edited by Bepzinky

Players
340 posts
134 battles

Free xp the B hull asap.

In case you haven't noticed, doing that alone increases your range up to 19km or so :) and adds armor, I guess. I'm not sure really.

Yeah, there's a big difference between the internal armour layouts. The A hull is paper internally, so it's horribly vulnerable to plunging shots and underwater hits. The belt's also effectively weaker because it doesn't have the backing.

[DSW]
Players
3,794 posts
7,746 battles

Fuso needs a major buff on the stock range or on citadel placement in it, for now it's unplayable (unless it's WG's intention to make you pay for free exp).

Doesn't matter how you angle it - you are dead before you reach the enemy bb's, I just got a quadruple cit pen from nowhere....

I have 56% WR but every time i take the stock Fuso I'm the first to die. :angry:

kinda bad? yes. worth free-XPing out of? probably. unplayable? hell no. it's still got a crapton of accurate firepower. You've just had four completely useless games in her, don't give up on one of the best battleships around! My very first game (yes, completely stock) in her was 140k dmg or so, needless to say I immediately fell in love.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,750 battles

Don't blame it on WG and there sneaky money-making ways.  Sure they try and push people towards spending money but the crap nature of the stock hull is well known and saving 18k free EXP generated from battles is not that hard with some planning.  The reason why people don't have 18k free EXP ready when they get to the Fuso is they squander it on crap.  I am always keeping an eye on which ships I am close to finishing and what the next ship is like and I deliberate on where best to spend my precious free experience.  Stock Fuso was definitely a ship that needed it and so I got the hull upgrade ASAP and grinded the other upgrades at my leisure by smashing up the enemy with a decently performing ship.

The next ship I unlock is the Izumo which is a ship that enjoys a pretty poor reputation (and not especially just when stock) and so currently my account looks like this:

wows_free_exp.jpg

(I also have a  huge number of Equal Speed Charlie London flags for 50% EXP increase which I plan to help push me through that grind as painlessly as possible).

It isn't hard to do - it just requires patience and a small amount of forethought.

Beta Tester
370 posts
839 battles

Not only Fuso.

Almost all ships in the game are utter crap stock, most even worse then their fully upgraded predecessor. This means that after a endless grind you get to start a even longer grind in a worse ship.

And even with a premium account the grind to a half decent ship is frustratingly long the higher up the tier ladder you are.

Buy dubloons to skip the grind is the theory behind this.

Players
8 posts
1,136 battles

I did like 10 battles so far - my best is 50k dmg, all other were around +-10k ending as first blood for the enemy team after being citadel'd time after time.

Even an Omaha/Koningsberg can outplay me in a stock Fuso :D

Edited by Bepzinky

Players
74 posts

I saved up free XP to buy the B hull of the Fuso. Now I've got it fully unlocked and use it more as a brawler than a sniper with normally good results. As long as you keep a good angle you can go toe to toe with any ship (unless they have torpedoes then it's a very bad idea ;-))

Beta Tester
154 posts
5,643 battles

I did like 10 battles so far - my best is 50k dmg, all other were around +-10k ending as first blood for the enemy team after being citadel'd time after time.

Even an Omaha/Koningsberg can outplay me in a stock Fuso :D

Just relax, the hidden range increse in the B hull will change everything.  :great:

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
2,328 posts
5,750 battles

Not only Fuso.

Almost all ships in the game are utter crap stock, most even worse then their fully upgraded predecessor. This means that after a endless grind you get to start a even longer grind in a worse ship.

And even with a premium account the grind to a half decent ship is frustratingly long the higher up the tier ladder you are.

Buy dubloons to skip the grind is the theory behind this.

The higher the tier, the higher the EXP requirements to unlock the next ship.  This generates more free EXP.  As I say, people waste huge amounts of free EXP because they don't plan ahead.

Players
8 posts
1,136 battles

Totally worth it, hue hue hue.

c9f8ac2a9a.jpg

Even better, a quad citadel on a stock myogi (not sure, maybe it was a kongo)

0adc873f95.jpg

Edited by Bepzinky

Players
7 posts
700 battles

Stock Fuso is garbage. She feels like Myogi (and myogi is meh imo) that is slapped at T6 that is even slower and has worse range but 2 more turrets. Also she has enormous and weak citadel. Fuso becomes very, very good ship after B hull, though. Only bad thing on her is that she is very sluggish, even for battleship (feels slow especially after Kongo).

Beta Tester
386 posts
1,155 battles

Stock Fuso is indeed terrible. It's like you're playing a Wyoming. Without the armor. Two tiers higher.

I ended up blowing all my free xp to get the B hull and she's a completely different ship after that.

Players
8 posts
1,136 battles

Stock Fuso is indeed terrible. It's like you're playing a Wyoming. Without the armor. Two tiers higher.

I ended up blowing all my free xp to get the B hull and she's a completely different ship after that.

That's WG logic after tier 5-6, sadly - blowing free exp.

I'm on the Nagato now and stock she is very disappointing too.

Edited by Bepzinky