You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrConway

Wintry Screenshot Competition

65 comments in this topic

[OILUP]
Beta Tester
1,480 posts
10,160 battles

The problem is that even posting pictures with the rising sun flag, except in an historic context, is technically a violation of the forum rules. :(

I don't know Conway, am I suppose to hold your hand on this issue all the time? This 'IJN flag is a no-no' policy is so illogical and and double-standard-ie that WG staff themselves keep forgetting about it, until they are well into checking entries and go like "...oh, wait".

Now look what you did, you basically changed the rules on your own competition without notifying the participants, that's foul play.

Edited by WhiskeyWolf
  • Cool 4

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,041 posts
3,223 battles

I don't know Conway, am I suppose to hold your hand on this issue all the time? This 'IJN flag is a no-no' policy is so illogical and and double-standard-ie that WG staff themselves keep forgetting about it, until they are well into checking entries and go like "...oh, wait".

Now look what you did, you basically changed the rules on your own competition without notifying the participants, that's foul play.

This is quite clearly my mistake, I didn't notice until it was pointed out to me during the evaluation by someone from the team.

I will PM both affected personally to sort it out.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
6,753 posts
7,907 battles

Thank you very much for the compensation (flags  + port slot), I just wish you would have told us about the flag problem earlier,  we could have easily changed it before the contest ended. :/

Congrats to the winners! ;)

Have nice christmas holidays and a happy new year! 

:honoring:

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,985 battles

Thank you very much for the compensation (flags  + port slot), I just wish you would have told us about the flag problem earlier,  we could have easily changed it before the contest ended. :/

Congrats to the winners! ;)

Have nice christmas holidays and a happy new year! 

:honoring:

EDIT: Never mind, I don't wanna be a drama queen here. Enjoy your spoils, those who didn't respect the rules and still got something...
Edited by Troublemaker_CRO
  • Cool 2

Modder, Supertester
1,258 posts
9,465 battles

So wait, those who made a screenshot (even though its not guaranteed they'd win something) with a forbidden flag got something for compensation while us who made a screenshot without any "forbidden content" and have not won a prize don't get anything? It took me and my mate almost 2 full battles to make a screenshot I wanted (with planes descending).

Damn, looks like I need to violate contest rules a bit more...

Actually no, if this is true, then entering any more contests is just worthless.

Nice for both of them that they got somehting but that can't be the solution :/

TBH: I think that WG should reconsider this rule for the EU Forum. As i said before i would understand it if it would be a forbidden flag or sign anywhere in the regions where the EU Client is used. But idk where it is forbidden. I don't know if it is true but i heard that they forbid this because of koreans... Do they use european forums? I mean.. i can't tell them that i feel offended when i go into a club or anything else in a diffrent country and tell them they should change because i feel offended o.0

[PST]
[PST]
Alpha Tester
477 posts
6,672 battles

Lol. thanks for the suprise, didnt expect to win after i saw all those pictures around, congratulations to all winners.

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,240 posts

Congrats to the winners, but again some unfortunate events in the organisation, this time with the rule-change after it all ended... And now these compensations that appear out of nowhere. Either for all, or for no-one (the rules got changed for everyone, so...). It's not that this was a big competition, so you wouldn't lose much. Contests on other servers even have prizes for just participating, so it's not against WG's policies to give out stuff to everyone.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,105 posts
13,341 battles

To be honest, might have been a derp on Conway's part (certainly not by design) but I can't understand the drama in here. At least they're trying to get some contests started and somebody else won, not me or you (and the pics wouldn't have been my picks which they chose) but it's just a contest with free stuff. Plus they tried to make up for it by sending out some compensation for their fault. Calm down, there'll be another contest for you to win - this is free stuff and none of us are entitled to get anything. There's enough work to do in WoWS and stuff to be angry about, this right here is something I have quite some trouble understanding.

Cheers and merry christmas

Modder, Supertester
1,258 posts
9,465 battles

To be honest, might have been a derp on Conway's part (certainly not by design) but I can't understand the drama in here. At least they're trying to get some contests started and somebody else won, not me or you (and the pics wouldn't have been my picks which they chose) but it's just a contest with free stuff. Plus they tried to make up for it by sending out some compensation for their fault. Calm down, there'll be another contest for you to win - this is free stuff and none of us are entitled to get anything. There's enough work to do in WoWS and stuff to be angry about, this right here is something I have quite some trouble understanding.

Pls read again...

I will qoute myself:

"But personaly, as one that didn't participate, i think it's unfair to say in the first place "mods allowed" just to sort them out later because they contain a flag that some people might feel offended."

I never participated in this contest. But it think that this "absolute no go policy" is [edited]. I just don't get it at all what the purpose of this rule is. I mean... they are even using it now... [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akizuki-class_destroyer_%282010%29] o.0

Edited by MasaruKondera

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,985 battles

What bothers me is that someone got compensated for violating the contest rules, which just doesn't make sense in my head. WG stated numerous times that those flags are FORBIDDEN.

What kind of message does this send? Enter a contest, break a rule and you get something for that??

• Cool 1

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
3,105 posts
13,341 battles

What bothers me is that someone got compensated for violating the contest rules, which just doesn't make sense in my head. WG stated numerous times that those flags are FORBIDDEN.

What kind of message does this send? Enter a contest, break a rule and you get something for that??

Well, the thing is - they didn't break the rule on purpose, Conway just forgot about the forbidden flag. They didn't get rewarded for breaking the rules, they got compensated because WG derped when they made the rules and the people who posted images with this have been unaware of this problem or do you really think they would "risk" their reward for stuff like that?

So the message WG sent is - we made a mistake with the rules we can't take back, so we tried to be nice and give the people a little compensation for not being able to participate in the contest at all. And the message the community once more sends is - go f*ck yourself WG, no matter what you do we're going to be mad anyway. But that's just my 2 cents on this.

@Masaru: My post wasn't adressed to you and the flag issue itself is a different story.

Beta Tester
2,286 posts
9,985 battles

Well, the thing is - they didn't break the rule on purpose, Conway just forgot about the forbidden flag. They didn't get rewarded for breaking the rules, they got compensated because WG derped when they made the rules and the people who posted images with this have been unaware of this problem or do you really think they would "risk" their reward for stuff like that?

So the message WG sent is - we made a mistake with the rules we can't take back, so we tried to be nice and give the people a little compensation for not being able to participate in the contest at all. And the message the community once more sends is - go f*ck yourself WG, no matter what you do we're going to be mad anyway. But that's just my 2 cents on this.

@Masaru: My post wasn't adressed to you and the flag issue itself is a different story.

Well damn then, I should have just kept my mods on then (including the historical flag mod), and get the compensation for doing it...

At least now I know that I will check the rules 5 times, so at least I can have a guaranteed prize (compensation) in every competition :)

[WG-EU]
WG Staff, Alpha Tester
3,041 posts
3,223 battles

The issue was that Triggerhappy for example, contacted me by PM specifically to make sure his entry was OK, so it was entirely my fault to not pick up on the flag. As such, I thought it was fair to give the two of them a little compensation, especially as both their entries were great.
  • Cool 2