Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CaptCaveman1

annoying part of the game please fix it!

14 comments in this topic

[UBB]
Players
7 posts
6,720 battles

When playing the game some ships disappear without using smoke screen. It can get really annoying when you are attacking someone and they just disappear, but they can still see you and attack you but you don't know which way they are moving cos you can't see them so you can't attack them. This can happen at as little as 3km range so it has nothing to do with firing range and vision.

Someone needs to fix this as it is unfair.

[SV2]
Beta Tester
235 posts
2,724 battles

When playing the game some ships disappear without using smoke screen. It can get really annoying when you are attacking someone and they just disappear, but they can still see you and attack you but you don't know which way they are moving cos you can't see them so you can't attack them. This can happen at as little as 3km range so it has nothing to do with firing range and vision.

Someone needs to fix this as it is unfair.

Its normally because the DD (just an example here) break line of sight or move out of spotting range. By the sounds of the range im guessing your playing at tier 2-4 and its a part of the game to give the DD a chance to run away. But if you are playing higher tiers file a complaint to the support and attach a replay where it happend and let them evaluate the problem.

[UBB]
Players
7 posts
6,720 battles

i'm playing a tier 6 Fuso and this happens in all battles i play. Any ship can disappear from destroyer to battleships and within any distance from 1 km to 20 km?

[WG]
WG Staff
2,779 posts
13,266 battles

Not gonna happen at 1km. You're proxy spotted at 2.5 km even in smoke. 

[UBB]
Players
7 posts
6,720 battles

it's really starting to P*** me off now. Not being able to see ships and then they suddenly appear within 4km fire torps from around the islands and sink me , If i knew they were there perhaps i could of avoided them. It's not just me it happens to ALL my friends that play the game as well even when we are in solo battles or a division. :(:(:(

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

it's really starting to P*** me off now. Not being able to see ships and then they suddenly appear within 4km fire torps from around the islands and sink me , If i knew they were there perhaps i could of avoided them. It's not just me it happens to ALL my friends that play the game as well even when we are in solo battles or a division. :(:(:(

Youre in a battleship. Don't go near unscouted islands. Ask team members to scout them out. Division with cruisers and dds. Send planes. Stick your spotter plane up if you're near islands. 

[DECOM]
Beta Tester
193 posts
7,450 battles

Sounds like its just down to understanding the detection system. I don't understand it fully, but essentially every ship has a detection range in its stats - and the general rule of thumb is that smaller ships have lower detection ranges. A lot lower.  Essentially, if you (and all your allies) are outside that range, you won't see it. If the ship fires, guns or AA, it increases his detection range substantially (torps don't) - not sure how long for. Smoke decreases it substantially for all ships in there (not just the DD putting out the smoke). So what you could be seeing is a ship moving into smoke, or not fired for a little-while so his detection range suddenly drops - and if he's now outside of that detection range - he disappears from view.

As mentioned, islands can block line of sight, allowing ships to get a lot closer and still stay hidden (to a min of 2.5kms as already mentioned) - making islands have a large tactical impact on the game.

Combined, this makes DD's the 'stealth class' - a mechanism which allows them to get almost close enough to be ready to launch torps without being seen - and also lets them 'hide' while escaping. Lets face it, they have no other defence..  But if a CV is using his aircraft to keep that DD visible, then he's pretty much doomed...  Its all part of the teamplay aspect that is needed to overcome the various strengths/weaknesses of each ship type.

Only advice I can give is to pay much more attention to the minimap. see where ships are - especially DD's, and remember where they were if they disappear from the minimap - at least you know what's in the area that you're heading towards - and can make it difficult for max-range torps to hit you by regular turning and altering speed. If you're heading to the edge of an island and know from the minimap that a DD's likely to be a the other side - you know that a spread of torps will be coming your way as soon as you pass the island - so already be turning towards or away from it - makes it real easy to dodge them.
DD's are supposed to be a nightmare for BB's - nullifying much of your range advantage by being invisible, being hard to hit up close as your guns turn too slow, and you're also slowest at turning to dodge those torps.

Edited by Seikin

[UBB]
Players
7 posts
6,720 battles

it's not islands blocking my view. When i'm in battle and i'm firing on a ship it suddenly disappears right in front of me , then it won't appear again until later , it can be any ship as well. As for the minimap that makes no difference because the same ships that disappear in the battle, don't show up on there either. So i can't help in the battle as i can't see the ships.

[TAKEN]
Players
37,179 posts
18,452 battles

At close range, it will be smoke.

At longer ranges the ships will be outside your detection range or are insider their concealment range.

[DECOM]
Beta Tester
193 posts
7,450 battles

The map does help, big time - it shows the locations of what your team can see, not just you. Yeah, it won't help you target them but it will help you to know what you're sailing into. Constant map checking means that even when that pair of DD's in those islands do disappear from it - at least you saw them on the map before they did - so you know they are in the area, so you know to 1. not sail into those islands in your BB and 2. when sailing past, not to just continue in a straight line/constant speed.

But yeah, read the thread on concealment in the beginners section, look up some different types of ships to get a feel for their concealment range, and see if that explains what you're seeing in game.

Mind I have saw the odd 'oddity'.. saw a cruiser disappear from view at very close range (about 4-5km). He was *just* behind the edge of an island, but the island bit he was behind was very low and very narrow - just flat beach really so I still had direct los to him - but the game obviously classed him as behind the island and se he disappeared. Possibly a small bug with that particular part of that map.

[UBB]
Players
7 posts
6,720 battles

I don't think this has anything to do with concealment and it defo has nothing to do with islands. I am firing on a ship in the middle if the ocean , no islands on the map at all , and the ship disappears right in front of me and then re-appears some time later in a different place and firing at me, It's not just me it happens to my friends as well , wether they are playing by them selves or in a division with me.

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

I don't think this has anything to do with concealment and it defo has nothing to do with islands. I am firing on a ship in the middle if the ocean , no islands on the map at all , and the ship disappears right in front of me and then re-appears some time later in a different place and firing at me, It's not just me it happens to my friends as well , wether they are playing by them selves or in a division with me.

Thats supposed to happen at ranges near the detection range of the ship. Happens all the time with dds. 

So so what distance and what class of ship?

Sign in to follow this