You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
LazyVegetable

ST.Louis

66 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
190 posts

When will this seal clubbing machine of choice be bumped up a tier or be nerfed?

This thing is the perfect reason why newbies quit and uninstall this game once they hit T2 and T3, fighting this ship is just [edited]painful.

• Cool 3

Beta Tester
190 posts

i never had problem fighting against it. Melts like butter against 150mm 

Using the german horrible cruiser atm, it has horrible guns.

Me and my buddy went up against a st.louis, 2v1, st.louis killed BOTH of us.

AP was useless, 200-300 damage per shell, HE is about the same.

But you know, st. louis is balanced.

Totally why it's the seal club machine of choice.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

I didnt play the new ships yet but why do you expect for a new ship to beat an old ship? You cant possibly know the tricks of new ships require to be good.

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,569 battles

It's horrible when you see it in the context of IV tier. It may seems OP on III because of the small maps and the fact that Tenryu isn't noob friendly. Oh, and Kolberg is horribly UP if you are comparing that.

Beta Tester
190 posts

I didnt play the new ships yet but why do you expect for a new ship to beat an old ship? You cant possibly know the tricks of new ships require to be good.

I expect for the fight to be atleast balanced.

St louis can stand up to T4 BB's, i kill them easily.

The T3 german cruiser is basically the T2 cruiser with 1k more hp and 2kts faster.

Yay such an improvement.

Beta Tester
4,603 posts
7,488 battles

When will this seal clubbing machine of choice be bumped up a tier or be nerfed?

This thing is the perfect reason why newbies quit and uninstall this game once they hit T2 and T3, fighting this ship is just [edited]painful.

It actually motivates newcomers to get it themselves since it is pretty easy to come by.

As soon it hits T4 and above you are just free XP in it actually. 

But yeah whatever, rant on, that will really help newcomers to make these forums a better place since its already WG-Community and below

Edited by LilJumpa

[TAKEN]
Players
37,178 posts
18,452 battles

Using the german horrible cruiser atm, it has horrible guns.

Me and my buddy went up against a st.louis, 2v1, st.louis killed BOTH of us.

AP was useless, 200-300 damage per shell, HE is about the same.

But you know, st. louis is balanced.

Totally why it's the seal club machine of choice.

The Dresden does 1500 on penetration against the St. Louis if you hit the foredeck.

The St. Louis is extremly strong for its Tier, but not that much that is frustrates enemies.

For balance it should get its HP reduced (as nearly as much as some Tier 3 BBs or Stock Tier 6 cruisers).

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,882 battles

The Dresden does 1500 on penetration against the St. Louis if you hit the foredeck.

The St. Louis is extremly strong for its Tier, but not that much that is frustrates enemies.

For balance it should get its HP reduced (as nearly as much as some Tier 3 BBs or Stock Tier 6 cruisers).

Or a stock T8 New Orleans :D

Players
44 posts
4,186 battles

It has good firepower and is probably the strongest in term of that standard. But it lacks speed and maneuverability. And torpedos which is a really strong option to fight the fat louis. 

Beta Tester
339 posts
218 battles

St louis is like a pocket battleship. It is armoured rather well and while it doesn't feature guns with that high a caliber, the amount of guns + RoF is quite devestating. In a certain sense I think it is hilarious that this cruiser messes up it's equally tiered BBs quite badly. Especially since BBs are to counter CA/CL according to WGs rock-paper-scissors thinking. Probably having something to do with St louis being rather OP for it's tier and same tiered BBs UP, oh well...

St louis' armor is also effective enought that I have to do something annoying in my IJN cruisers: firing HE at an enemy cruiser (I prefer using AP vs cruisers). Now I still prefer Tenryu to St louis, just 'cause I think tenryu is more fun + has a bit more carying capabilities (due to mobility), but only way to not really get rekt by St louis, is by kiting and dodging.

I'm not sure if torpedoes are really effective against the louis. ok, it's slow, but turns rather well, being able to evade incoming torps.

Thing is that I don't know if the st louis would be a valid tier IV candidate. But for tier 3 it might need soem kind of nerf I guess...

Beta Tester
20 posts
672 battles

It doesn't really need a nerf, the BBs in tier 3 just need a buff.

Tenryu is equally as broken if used correctly and both Wicks and Wakatake are strong enough for tier 4.

Its just the crappy South Carolina and Kawachi which suffer horribly at the hands of this ship, St louis is on equal terms with other tier 3 cruisers and DDs for raw value (I wont mention the new turds for the Russians and Germans...).

Kind of makes tier 4 disappointing... apart from Wyoming, Isokaze and Kuma (isokaze REALLY needs to swap places with Minekaze, she's THAT good, complain about that ship).

Edited by CALigEr190TankManc

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

Well I'm OP in St. Louis :D

But I didn't have a problem with them in South Carolina or Kawachi. They would generally spam me with HE and take half my HP by the time I killed them. Then I'd heal back up to 3/4.

If you don't panic when the St. Louis starts hosing you you should be fine. The St. Louis is slow - meaning even Kawachi can hit her :D

Granted I'd rather nuke side on tenryu, but that ship can charge then torp you. St. Louis can't.

Beta Tester
20 posts
672 battles

Well I'm OP in St. Louis :D

But I didn't have a problem with them in South Carolina or Kawachi. They would generally spam me with HE and take half my HP by the time I killed them. Then I'd heal back up to 3/4.

If you don't panic when the St. Louis starts hosing you you should be fine. The St. Louis is slow - meaning even Kawachi can hit her :D

Granted I'd rather nuke side on tenryu, but that ship can charge then torp you. St. Louis can't.

Exactly my point on St Louis not being OP and Tenryu being just as good, just in a different way.

Although the thing with the Kawachi... never happened for me, she's way too derpy and her range limit is suffocating.

My main point is that later on BBs can challenge the BB directly above them on the tier list and can be a terror to cruisers of any tier, but down at tier 3? No, you could never stand up to a Myogi or a Wyoming in a South Carrolina or a Kawachi, you couldn't even reliably defeat a same tiered cruiser without help or losing ALOT of health.

I think a lot of issues down at tier 3 would be fixed if BBs where stronger at that tier.

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

Exactly my point on St Louis not being OP and Tenryu being just as good, just in a different way.

Although the thing with the Kawachi... never happened for me, she's way too derpy and her range limit is suffocating.

My main point is that later on BBs can challenge the BB directly above them on the tier list and can be a terror to cruisers of any tier, but down at tier 3? No, you could never stand up to a Myogi or a Wyoming in a South Carrolina or a Kawachi, you couldn't even reliably defeat a same tiered cruiser without help or losing ALOT of health.

I think a lot of issues down at tier 3 would be fixed if BBs where stronger at that tier.

Maybe not alone. But SC can give Wyoming a run for her money with a cruiser in support. Anything can give Myogi a run for her money :D 

I wouldn't make SC or Kawachi better at that tier. Otherwise I'll be buying them back for "fun" :trollface:

Players
3,937 posts
23,203 battles

Maybe not alone. But SC can give Wyoming a run for her money with a cruiser in support. Anything can give Myogi a run for her money :D 

I wouldn't make SC or Kawachi better at that tier. Otherwise I'll be buying them back for "fun" :trollface:

"Kawachi" and "fun" in the same sentence - Ye Gods!

To paraphrase THHGTTG:  Obviously some usage of the word 'fun' that I have not previously encountered!

Beta Tester
886 posts
5,674 battles

I didnt play the new ships yet but why do you expect for a new ship to beat an old ship?

Because it's new and shiny? Something like an iPhone and we all know that the new iPhone is better than the old one! And why you might ask....

Because Apple told us so.....and did I mention that it's shiny? :trollface:

[CAIN]
Players
5,198 posts
24,777 battles

So, i'm curious.

Why do people come to the forums, and cry/ rage "...ship XYZ needs nerf it's OP (because it destroyed me)... or "...ship XYZ needs buff, it's UP (because i get destroyed in it/ can't hit crap)...".

Sometimes, i'm glad WG ignores the buff/nerf threads, otherwise the game balance would be seriously messed up.

Beta Tester
339 posts
218 battles

So, i'm curious.

Why do people come to the forums, and cry/ rage "...ship XYZ needs nerf it's OP (because it destroyed me)... or "...ship XYZ needs buff, it's UP (because i get destroyed in it/ can't hit crap)...".

Sometimes, i'm glad WG ignores the buff/nerf threads, otherwise the game balance would be seriously messed up.

Kind of agree with you, but there are certain ships where most people agree on that those are unbalanced and need some fixing. This was the case for old KV and tier 6 KV-1s in WoT for example (both needed some serious nerfs) . In WoWs St Loius might need some (minor) nerfs to keep it in line with the other tier 3s (or buff some weak tier 3s liek soem guys mentioned, instead of nerfing the st louis) and something like karlsruhe might need some buff (haven't met/played it yet, but general opinion + soem backed up statistics showed that it is udnerperforming in it's tier).

Players
243 posts

Kind of agree with you, but there are certain ships where most people agree on that those are unbalanced and need some fixing. This was the case for old KV and tier 6 KV-1s in WoT for example (both needed some serious nerfs) . In WoWs St Loius might need some (minor) nerfs to keep it in line with the other tier 3s (or buff some weak tier 3s liek soem guys mentioned, instead of nerfing the st louis) and something like karlsruhe might need some buff (haven't met/played it yet, but general opinion + soem backed up statistics showed that it is udnerperforming in it's tier).

The Tenryu is a very nice ship. The St Louis like the other protected cruisers has a relatively good armoured belt for its tier like the Diana, Aurora etc but they are all very slow and sluggish to turn. At tier 4 the St Louis is fodder, it is too slow to catch tier 4 ships and lacks range. It's the equivalent of meeting the Dresden at tier 1 and thinking its over powered. The Karlsruhe is just a fail ship.

Unfortunately WG have a habit of doing this. I believe the main issue with WoWs is its linear tech tree, which means ships are all over the place from when they were first commissioned. The game, and balance would be much better off it a better tier implementation was used. 

Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

It actually is extremely frustrating. I quit Beta myself because of Louis, 3 of my WoT Clanmates stopped playing WoWs after release becasue of Louis. Its a retardedly OP ship that can even wreck Tier5 BB's solo.

Beta Tester
354 posts
1,037 battles

It actually is extremely frustrating. I quit Beta myself because of Louis, 3 of my WoT Clanmates stopped playing WoWs after release becasue of Louis. Its a retardedly OP ship that can even wreck Tier5 BB's solo.

Im not a good BB captain, but i love when i run into a ST, Louis in my Myogi, sure, he'll set some fires, but i'll just turn away, out run him and out range him..

Or even better, meet it in my Tenryu, those torps works wonders vs it.

Supertest Coordinator
6,337 posts
4,389 battles

If you cannot deal with St. Louis in Tier V, the ship is not your problem.

Yeah this. Its not really a challenge for a tier IV BB. For tier IV cruisers it can be painful, but both Phoenix and Kuma have speed agility and torpedoes. Don't go into a "fair fight" with them in a St. Louis. 

Tier V cruisers and BBs destroy St. Louis with ease. Again - lack of range and speed is its downfall in higher tier games. At tier 3 it's strong, but has weaknesses you can exploit. 

I bought it back because it's fun to play. I still have Kolberg as well because she's fun too. 

[KLUNJ]
Players
2,866 posts

I think you will more likely find that new players getting a kicking from a St. Louis will actually aim to get one as soon as possible. It's how gaming works....you see a good ship/tank/plane played by someone else doing really well, you find out how to get one.