MrConway

German Cruiser Feedback

332 posts in this topic

Been up to Tier 3 today. WOW that ship is bad. If only it had the torpedoes that are mentioned in its description it might not be all that horrible. Why put it in the decription but not in the game ? Man.

Also, The Kolberg has guns that arent listed. They seem small, but they should be able to operate right ? They are on the top deck of the ship, just above the forward side guns mounted inside the hull.  Its the same as the Omahas B Hull anomaly, where it has 10 quadruple AA guns but only 8 are listed in the stats. (why wasnt that fixed like 3 months after it being reported multiple times ?)

Edited by Karaya1

2 people like this

Kolbergs Text also states that she has Torpedos when she dont have any even with upgraded Hull. Is that a bug? otherwise she is too close to Dresden.

I've only reached tier 3 so far, but I can say they're good. The worse HE dmg for Dresden is balancing it a bit.

Also the different engine sound is nice. 

Seeing as it's the one I've used the most so far...

Köngisberg

The Good

Range - Even without advanced firing training having an edge over the at-tier cruisers is incredibly nice due to, well due to the points mentioned in bad and ugly.

Accuracy - Even at longer distances the RNG is being consistently kind with regards to dispersion

Rate of fire - Good, especially given the range that they can spew out to.

The Bad

General manoeuvrability - It may just be me but for a tier V cruiser she feels somewhat sluggish, especially rudder response time which given the size of her rudder shouldn't be so.

The Ugly

Fragility - This has to be the single worst point about playing Köngisberg. With the way WG have set up damage and repair mechanics the Köngisberg really is a glass cannon, the ease with which one can cripple a Köngisberg is frankly more than slightly worrying. Near enough any hit from amidships aft seems to knock out either steering or propulsion, doesn't matter what the calibre is they all have the same effect. This means that more often than not you'll be hit and powerless to do anything about it having most likely only just repaired either the propulsion or steering damage (or both) from the previous hit, so whilst you're waiting for that arbitrary amount of time before either the damage fixes itself or you have a repair party again you're liable to have one of the following scenarios occur to you...

A. A battleship says 'hai thar' on your now slow to stationary Köngisberg either devastating you or penetrating your citadel

B. The destroyer you were fighting now has a slow to stationary target which can no longer dodge torpedoes

C. The cruiser engaging you continues  to set you on fire and blow your modules off with ease until you either explode or burn to death.

TLDR

• Good guns with excellent range and rate of fire for the tier
  • Poor turning ability (which is sort of important considering you need to dodge fire to live)
  • Terrible survivability at any and all ranges to enemy fire

3 people like this

Only on Kolberg atm and really hate it.

Fires 2 miles in the air and is just to, well blam...blam !!  Little skill involved in using it just hold left mouse and watch its little shells frustratingly do hardly any damage.

Really hoping Kriegsmarine was going to be good long range and accurate fire but am sadly disappointed so far ;(

Hear the next couple of tiers are no better.

Oh is there ANY great difference between Dresden and Kolberg apart from a little bit more armour. Feel like I bought a replica of the Dresden and its just as bad?

BTW nearly every battle ive been in, its usually Tenyrus or St,Louis left while all the poor German sailors are swimming to the shore!

Come on they must be better than this !

Edited by DirtyHarry_15

1 person likes this

proposal for rebalancing of the German cruisers...scrap the Königsberg move everything one tier down. the York is [edited], nobody needs it, replace it already.  Put in the Deutschland Class at some point...it's the most famous heavy cruisers that Germany has.

Edited by Asgar

Kolbergs Text also states that she has Torpedos when she dont have any even with upgraded Hull. Is that a bug? otherwise she is too close to Dresden.

Wondered at that too.

Why mention that war-upgrade and then not apply it?

Oh well.

Hermelin: Reasonably fun T1, but not up to snuff compared to what we saw in the streams and videos. Apprently the devs thought her too strong and implemented the nerf they talked about. She is certainly not too strong any longer, getting citadeled left and right and too short ranged with reasonably weak AP penetration. Compared to Orlan she is the smaller, weaker and uglier sister, even the Japanese and American cousins appear better than her now.

Dresden: Well well well... a lot of fun actually. Her weak guns aren't an issue at T2, or rather the weakness isn't apparent yet. A good match for the other T2s, even if Chikuma is stronger 1v1. I like her.

Kolberg: Urgh... since she is essentially just another Dresden it goes to show how fast a good ship can become bad by letting it face stronger opposition. By T3 the guns are wholly unsuitable. They can't penetrate enough and their HE is too weak with too low fire chance. She also manages to take the bad parts of both St. Louis and Tenryu, but not really any of the good. She is slow like the St. Louis (a little faster, but certainly more St. Louis than Tenryu), she is armoured like a Tenryu (again a little better, but more Tenryu than St. Louis), the HP of a Tenryu (slightly better, nowhere near St. Louis) and she has Tenryu firepower without the torpedoes. No, scrap that, she doesn't even have Tenryu firepower as the Tenryu can in fact citadel Kolberg, but not the reverse. A straight up parallel gunfight will see the Tenryu win. And she is also worse in terms of range of the guns than either of those cruisers.

Not good enough.

Königsberg: Quite similar to Dresden actually. Only she sacrifices Dresden's ruggedness for range. Both hose down the enemies with a lot of shells. Get into the right position at a reasonably close range and the citadels will roll in. But don't get those situations or face higher tier ships, and she struggles. She is neither fast enough nor maneuverable enough to make her structural weakness less apparent, she is feels like she is made from engines and citadels with no functional armour to protect it.

She is overall a most entertaining ship. Despite her significant weaknesses she is fun. You will never feel like you can't actually hit back. Even if you have several salvoes in a row with 0-200 total damage, it feels a lot better than doing nothing because you can't hit back. As such she feels better than she is, but the other T5s will beat her hands down (players being equal skilled of course; just because I have nuked the other T5s doesn't mean I wouldn't have been nuked if I had played them in return).

Torpedo arrangement and strength is good. When you get the option, the torps are magnificent for the tier, and you get a lot of them. But getting to use those torps is a huge 'IF'.

1 person likes this

Königsberg:

Feels like an up-tiered Phoenix:

Pros:

Very good range

Very good accuracy

Good RoF

Cons:

Armor is non-existent

Engine damage is extereme, compared to Omaha, where I was loosing my stearing gear atleast once every other game, in this ship it's the engine (like seriously, once my captain sneezed on the bridge and the enginge 'sploded! :trollface:)

Poor HE damage & fire chance

I notice this too that engine goes broken too easily and even after used repair kit. Engine is broken again. This need to change!

I love german ships, but they need some love also.

Edited by PsJk

If ships are going to be this unbalanced, then im sorry I have alredy spent money on this game. The german ships so far is holding down left mouse button and pray they do some damage. Hardly do any damage to DD's even. Battleships takes ages to kill

1 person likes this

Well up to Königsberg too now. With Level 4 captain she has over 19 Km range but the DPS 9is rediculess. 55 HE hits 14 k damage next game 76 HE hits 11 k damag. It takes years to get anything you cant pen burning and the DPS is like BBs secendary guns. Plunging long range fire isnt much better with AP: 37 Hits 16 K next 28  Hits 18k.  While its fun to play and see your hits are very acurate it means nothing if any Phoenix or Kuma out Dps you.

Nürnberg is nice, had some epic games in her ( 152k dmg, 314 hits )

But after that you get the Yorck... Seriously I just want to cry.

Without the top hull your AA is for the ... and those guns, I don´t feel the 5500 maximum AP damage, the HE is worse then on Nürnberg and yeah epic 50second turning time... I´m seriously thinking about skipping this ship completly :/

3 people like this

And now I have played Karlsruhe a bit, and she is is awful. Kolberg is bad, Furutaka pre-buff bad (as in, you can make her work with some serious attention and luck), but Karlsruhe is beyond even Furutaka. She is Furutaka, Colorado and Izumo combined.

I don't know what to do with her. The very first ship I am completely lost with. I tried AP and failed to achieve any citadels on other cruisers, continuing the trend from T2. But HE doesn't do much either, and unlike the machineguns below her, she has a pretty pitiful rate of fire. She is even sluggish enough to make it hard to evade battleship shots. The most powerful WWI light cruiser my... backyard.

2 people like this

Here is my impression of the German Cruiser Line:

Tier I - Hermelin: Really like  the look of the ship, Guns are OK, RoF is OK....Shell Damage;  too low when compared to IJN and USN..... RANGE!!!  Fix the cannon range to  9-10km  (7.8Km range...really? everyone else is at 9 plus...make it the same!!!).  Armor...very weak.  Speed, turn, and rudder response are average.  Overall....I like it but gun range is problem.

Tier II - Dresden: Seems to be a fine looking pre WW1 ship, but 105mm cannon are too weak for their piers.  RoF is good and range is average.  Speed, turn, and rudder response are average to piers. Armor...very weak. Overall...below average compared to piers. If you see a Chester....RUN because weak cannon are CRAP! Overall....Average but gun caliber is major problem.

Tier III - Kolberg: How can you call this a Tier 3 ship??  This is Dresden version 2.0 - Tenryu and St. Louis rip it apart!!! Cannon RoF if fine but you still have CRAPPY 105mm cannons on this ship....the 105mm cannons are bad in Tier II and you carry to Tier III??? WHY?? can't make up for the extremely small caliber of the gun, Armor...very weak and the damage is horrible. This one gets torpedoes which are meh. (P.S.  WHERE ARE THEY???):amazed:    Overall....BAD needs to be scrapped.

Tier IV - Karlsruhe:  Absolutely....HORRID....played 10 games in this ship and used XP to get over this lemon......again bad armor, bad hit damage bad shell damage on 150mm cannons  (FIX the HE and AP shell damage on all of them!)  Slow, turns radio is bad, feels clunky not like a Cruiser. 
Overall..... the worst ship in the line.  This should be a Tier 3 not 4 ship. Torpedoes are same....meh:sceptic:...defensive.

Tier V - Konigsberg:  Probably the best ship in the entire line but it too has problems. Cannons...150mm are average size and the RoF is good.  Love the range on these and the turrets turn rate is average.   Accuracy is amazing  BUT  the damage per shell is really low. Seriously, fix the problem with the shell damage for HE and AP.  ALSO the % of fire....way to low!!!  Speed is good but the turn circle and more importantly the rudder response time....HORRID.  Even with rudder upgrade it is crap  please fix it.  Torpedoes...ok here is where I see things need to change...the Germans had torpedoes that had 8km range beginning in 1933 forward.  You need to add an option to upgrade torpedoes from this tier forward from 6km to 8km. Concealment...another thing is since you gave them crap for armor how about make their concealment better...like 10km not 12.5km.  Overall..... I really liked this ship and it can make a good foil for Omaha with improvements. 

Tier VI - Nürnberg: Just like the Konigsberg version 2.0  OK  better RoF on the cannons and it gets a plane but really nothing different. 3K increase in HP is nice but it still has the same issues as Konigsberg of EggShell Armor, Shell Damage, Torpedo option, Concealment, Turn ratio and Rudder ship (even with upgrade).  This one I also like as it makes a good foil to Cleveland. Overall..... like the prior tier it can make a good foil against Cleveland BUT needs better AA for the larger Konigsberg v2.0???

Tier VII - Yorck: First of the heavy cruiser line but the armor is still crap.  Cannons at 210mm are standard on German Heavies but the turret rotation speed....TOTAL CRAP.  Battleship turrets turn faster....for this to be a Cruiser you need to fix this ASAP.  AA is also crap....this is a heavy cruiser..give it heavy AA. Gun range...ok. Shell damage is also Crap...these are 210MM guns  they need to carry the damage with that caliber...come on get real lower caliber IJN and USN guns are causing more damage from smaller shells...that is CRAP!  RoF is 5....why are you dropping fire rate from 10 to 5?  Make it 7 to make up for the paper thin armor...also the rudder shift and speed are rubbish...average but also needs a rudder shift to reflect upgrade.  Torpedoes...same issue...need option for 8km torpedoes.  Overall.....does not make a match to its piers.  If you see a Mogami.....RUN away as fast as you can which is not fast in this clunker.

Tier VIII - Admiral Hipper:  not there yet

Tier IX - Roon:  not there yet

Tier X - Hindenburg: not there yet

Conclusion:  This entire line needs many reworking first by scrapping Kolberg, Karlsruhe, and Yorck.  The armor, shell damage, concealment, of the entire line plue and torpedoes upgrades (Tier 5 up) are major things that need to be addressed.  If you don't fix them these are by far some of the worst ships in the game.

:honoring:

Edited by VonPletz

8 people like this

Kolberg doesnt get torpedoes! And they arent meh, they are NONEXISTENT in the game.

Srsly maybe I am an utter an total noob but the only place Kolberg got torps is the mentioning in the description about a refit, but the hull upgrade ingame doesnt get them.

Here is my impression of the German Cruiser Line:

Tier I - Hermelin: Really like  the look of the ship, Guns are OK, RoF is OK....Shell Damage;  too low when compared to IJN and USN..... RANGE!!!  Fix the cannon range to  9-10km  (7.8Km range...really? everyone else is at 9 plus...make it the same!!!).  Armor...very weak.  Speed, turn, and rudder response are average.  Overall....I like it but gun range is problem.

Tier II - Dresden: Seems to be a fine looking pre WW1 ship, but 105mm cannon are too weak for their piers.  RoF is good and range is average.  Speed, turn, and rudder response are average to piers. Armor...very weak. Overall...below average compared to piers. If you see a Chester....RUN because weak cannon are CRAP! Overall....Average but gun caliber is major problem.

Tier III - Kolberg: How can you call this a Tier 3 ship??  This is Dresden version 2.0 - Tenryu and St. Louis rip it apart!!! Cannon RoF if fine but you still have CRAPPY 105mm cannons on this ship....the 105mm cannons are bad in Tier II and you carry to Tier III??? WHY?? can't make up for the extremely small caliber of the gun, Armor...very weak and the damage is horrible. This one gets torpedos which are meh.   Overall....BAD needs to be scrapped.

Tier IV - Karlsruhe:  Absolutely....HORRID....played 10 games in this ship and used XP to get over this lemon......again bad armor, bad hit damage bad shell damage on 150mm cannons  (FIX the HE and AP shell damage on all of them!)  Slow, turns radio is bad, feels clunky not like a Cruiser. 

Overall..... the worst ship in the line.  This should be a Tier 3 not 4 ship. Torpedoes are same as Tier III....meh:sceptic:...defensive.

Tier V - Konigsberg:  Probably the best ship in the entire line but it too has problems. Cannons...150mm are average size and the RoF is good.  Love the range on these and the turrets turn rate is average.   Accuracy is amazing  BUT  the damage per shell is really low. Seriously, fix the problem with the shell damage for HE and AP.  ALSO the % of fire....way to low!!!  Speed is good but the turn circle and more importantly the rudder response time....HORRID.  Even with rudder upgrade it is crap  please fix it.  Torpedoes...ok here is where I see things need to change...the Germans had torpedoes that had 8km range beginning in 1933 forward.  You need to add an option to upgrade torpedoes from this tier forward from 6km to 8km. Concealment...another thing is since you gave them crap for armor how about make their concealment better...like 10km not 12.5km.  Overall..... I really liked this ship and makes a good foil for Omaha. 

Tier VI - Nürnberg: Just like the Konigsberg version 2.0  OK  better RoF on the cannons and it gets a plane but really nothing different. 3K increase in HP is nice but it still has the same issues as Konigsberg of Armor, Shell Damage, Torpedo option, Concealment, Turn ratio and Rudder ship (even with upgrade).  This one I also like as it makes a good foil to Cleveland. Overall..... like the prior tier it make a good foil against Cleveland BUT needs better AA for the larger Konigsberg v2.0???

Tier VII - Yorck: First of the heavy cruiser line but the armor is still crap.  Cannons at 210mm are standard on German Heavies but the turret rotation speed....TOTAL CRAP.  Battleship turrets turn faster....for this to be a Cruiser you need to fix this ASAP.  AA is also crap....this is a heavy cruiser..give it heavy AA. Gun range...ok. Shell damage is also Crap...these are 210MM guns  they need to carry the damage with that caliber...come on get real lower caliber IJN and USN guns are causing more damage from smaller shells...that is CRAP!  RoF is 5....why are you dropping fire rate from 10 to 5?  Make it 7 to make up for the paper thin armor...also the rudder shift and speed are meh...average but also needs a rudder shift to reflect upgrade.  Torpedoes...same issue...need option for 8km torpedoes.  Overall.....does not make a match to its piers.  If you see a Mogami.....RUN away as fast as you can which is not fast in this clunker.

Tier VIII - Admiral Hipper:  not there yet

Tier IX - Roon:  not there yet

Tier X - Hindenburg: not there yet

Conclusion:  This entire line needs many reworking first by scrapping Kolberg, Karlsruhe, and Yorck.  The armor, shell damage, concealment, of the entire line plue and torpedoes upgrades (Tier 5 up) are major things that need to be addressed.  If you don't fix them these are by far some of the worst ships in the game.

:honoring:

exactly what i'm feeling right now. Couldn't have said it any better!

1 person likes this

I am mad. I wont even try to cover it with soft words.

In fact profanities and curses are the only thing I could think off right now.

So here to return the favor that is the german cruiser line:

brown-bag-poop-1308917665.jpg

(If you are unsure and need to "collect further data" on that particullar bag, feel free ask some local kid to place the real thing on your doorstep)

4 people like this

heres my feed back -

kaiser fleet up to tier 3-4 not represented on the flag- instead we have sth of a mix nazi kaiserreich flag.

second to that- german poppy came and we should wash it down the drain

- sold all german ships, waste of time,

and i have a very limited time = once more youll waste it and im gone for good .

1 person likes this

Hermelin is fine

Dresden is fine

Kolberg - high ROF and speed offsets the low damage from shells and her fragility. No St. Louis but fine. However she's dead if she meets tier IV. Those guns do no damage at all. 

Koenigsberg seems fine. If a little fragile and again frustrating damage. Then I found her torpedoes are great!

Karlsruhe is awful. She has no saving graces. Nothing is terrible but everything is sub par. Too slow to be an in your face giant dd. to weak to stand and broadside other cruisers. Damage from shells is poor and although ROF is ok the number of guns is low. This ship is probably the worst I've played and can contribute the least.

Dresden was fun, free xp'd past Kolberg, the Karlsruhe is pretty shite. 

If my experience in the Konigsberg during the trials were any indiciation, the AP damage buff the German CL/CA line got will make it a fun clubber. 

I have never been more disappointed with any game related as this utterly disaster of the Kolberg and Karlsruhe... If  I  hadn't been knowing that the Königsberg is a okay ship I would have scrapped the entire German cruiser line after the Dresden...... Think I'll earn enough free xp points on other ships and bypass the Karlsruhe which is an absolute game killer....

1 person likes this

The german cruisers are not fun play. I did not play enough perhaps but having them paired with harsh MM makes me sad. I was chucked into t5 games with my stock tier 3. A Minekaze came real close so I opened up with many guns. they not accurate they don't do enough damage and you get recked as you keep receiving citadel hits one after another. I could not kill a DD with he salvos and at least the fire rate is good.

When I was playing with american or Japanese line i did not mind the grinding, hell the St. Luis is still op. 

So not talking about stats but just how they make me feel? disappointed really until some more ships comes out for each line the game is still boring for me and I really want to like this game. 

cheers.

Well you want feedback your going to get it from people ;-) and its nothing new either mostly, the same things.. Armor(Survivabilty) & Damage!! Also I think Module like Engine being frequently dmg'd is directly related to the Armor (Survivabilty) Issue...

Tier I - Hermelin: Fun T1 Ship and for its Tier perfectly reasonable and quickly onto next Tier.

Tier II - Dresden: Its alot of fun when you can handel it good, it lacks dmg output though in HE like most of the German Line, add to that that AP is nearly usless in most cases against other Dresdens/Kolbergs.

Tier III - Kolberg: Practicly the same as the Dresden, just more guns and HP realy and the same issues as Dresden.

Tier IV - Karlsruhe: uhm yea.. if one word would discribe this ship it would be ''No Comment'' its is the worst Tier Cruiser ive played, its dmg output its far under that of any Cruiser of the same Tier, not very Manouvrable to compensate to swing guns...

Tier V - Königsberg: Had it during the event, and it was mediocer at best and wasnt impressed, with the AP buff however it has helped alot, its a great ship now once you know how to handel Her, and playing during the Event Test allowed me to get good in it, its AP dmg is great imo for its Tier, however its Survivabilty and HE dmg still leave much to be desired for.. Ive had Great Fun in this ship and when against same tier ships and maybe 1 lvl above it can just about do it, my best score in it in one Match was 7 kills, but overall that dosnt say much, you have good games and bad in it.

Tier VI - Nürnberg: Ah... great looking ship and nice Guns/Range, decent AP dmg for the most part, but it could be a bit better, HE still 1700 and very low dmg output, takes a bit to take out even a Destroyer with HE unless you get a lucky Magazin hit. Other then that its Armor/HP is so mediocer you could throw a wet cellery at it and it would go boOmmm.. ive been playing this ship all day and not to impressed with its Survivabilty and to some extend its dmg output, yes i can Citadel a Furutaka, Aoba, but a Clevland? example in one game (39 AP shells all aimed in the right area, not a singal Citadel, and after 39 AP shells the Clevland only at 60% HP left) Armor is the Major issue with this ship and its HP, its dmg only needs a marginal increase in certian areas.

Tier VII - not there yet (Will be Armor and dmg output though)

Tier VIII - not there yet (Will be Armor and dmg output though)

Tier IX - not there yet (Will be Armor and dmg output though)

Tier X - not there yet (Will be Armor and dmg output though)

From what ive read in the Chat ingame with people ive played with and talk to day in and out and have the ships, and from Video's the Tier 7 to 10 are all in need of a Fix in terms of Armor/Survivabilty and dmg! but then again i could be wrong, but judging from playing the lower Tiers and early Mid Tier's its more then likely the given case..

To Summe it up generaly from T5 onwards too and inc. T10 the main Issues are Armor which effects Survivabilty  which also effects ships systems like Engines being knocked out too frequently and then also the Damage output realy compared to other Nations Cruisers at the same Tiers...

Its all fine and well saying German Cruisers have great Range and Accuracy, but that does not make up for the Survivabilty with the lack of Armor and the low dmg output you do at thoes ranges... you shoot 17-19km at targets, maybe a few shells land on the target which is better then none, but the dmg they do is very mediocer at best then at present...

Edited by Vhadur

Temelin: Its ok for a T1 - bit unbalanced with range but ok, noone spends much time there.

T2-T4: Skipped - sorry but I just couldnt be bother with those ships, if I want to play T2-T4, every other available ship is more fun

Königsberg: Nice looks - but thats the best I can say about it: I am not able to figure out what WG tried to achieve here - sniper? Maybe, it has good range and good accuracy, but the dmg output is abysmal compared to its piers, yes you can pen with AP and do decent damage but only if your opponents are very obliging, HE - dont bother, its not worth it.

Nürnberg: Pretty much a Königsberg Ver 2.0

T5+T6 pretty much really suffer from survivability - you have to stay at max range as they are both neither fast nor manouverable enough to really dodge anything and even if you can, a BB just has to scratch you, from any distance and any angle to citadel you. Just last game, a Colorade hit me twice from 14km - 1 in the back - 14k cit, engine gone, 1 at around 30 degrees - cit with 14k again.

Fairly slow, not very manouverable, no armor, low hp ... well, whos brainstorm was that?

T7: Not there yet, but already dreading that ship ... 52s rotation time? Really? Atleast give it BB armour then.

In principle all german cruisers seem to be played like DDs (which are actually more durable than the German CLs) - but there the detection range bites you ...

Not a great implementation at all, feels like a real let down after the hype

I've gave up on the Karlsruhe. This floating glass turd of a ship, utilizing slingshots instead of actual guns tooks the fun away, it's that bad. 

HE does literally no damage, AP has no penetration, how am I supposed to make xp without damage? In tier 5,I usually make around 35-40k damage per match, with this tub, I'm barely able to do 10. The most xp I got from this ship was 800,and that was with the daily doubler! 

Too bad I don't have free xp, so I guess I'll have to wait out either a buff, or try to make about 13k free xps. 

1 person likes this

Too bad I don't have free xp, so I guess I'll have to wait out either a buff, or try to make about 13k free xps. 

It will go faster earning free xp with any other ship than win enough ship XP to advance to the next level LOL And less frustrating