You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Tuccy

General Cool Pictures - WWII

211 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
356 posts
2,656 battles

Now this puts a perfect perspective on North Atlantic convoy duty...

HMS Leamington (Ex USS Twiggs) returning to port.

10402774_10205078796198401_9256225512464

10527691_10205078797358430_3024628694902

this time, the iceberg sunk :biggrin:

• Cool 1

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,498 posts
10,385 battles

Another discussion mentioned the limitation imposed on US Navy ships by the Panamax limit (max. Panama canal width). So here is a pic that neatly demonstrates how the designers fought for every inch...

FKvZy7u.jpg

• Cool 6

[RN]
Alpha Tester
921 posts

Another discussion mentioned the limitation imposed on US Navy ships by the Panamax limit (max. Panama canal width). So here is a pic that neatly demonstrates how the designers fought for every inch...

... or 1/2 inch

[OGHF]
Beta Tester
277 posts
13,007 battles

Sadly I haven't been but I really want to and will hopefully do wen im down near Portsmouth this September. At some point im also planning on going to the US to see some battleships

The 'Minesweeper' is actually a WW2 Monitor (M33) and Warrior is not actually HMS Warrior anymore (HMS Warrior is a shore base).  HMS Victory is still a commissioned RN ship.  So in a few yards you have Nelson's flagship from 1805, the one the worlds first Iron Hulled Warship, Henry VIII Flagship Mary Rose, a WW2 Monitor. Across the water in Gosport an 'A' class conventional submarine (HMS Alliance), the X Craft that attacked the Tirpitz and the RNs first submarine the Holland 1 all housed in the Submarine Museum in HMS Dolphin

We obviously never keep anything.....

Alpha Tester
3,769 posts
58 battles

The 'Minesweeper' is actually a WW2 Monitor (M33) and Warrior is not actually HMS Warrior anymore (HMS Warrior is a shore base).  HMS Victory is still a commissioned RN ship.  So in a few yards you have Nelson's flagship from 1805, the one the worlds first Iron Hulled Warship, Henry VIII Flagship Mary Rose, a WW2 Monitor. Across the water in Gosport an 'A' class conventional submarine (HMS Alliance), the X Craft that attacked the Tirpitz and the RNs first submarine the Holland 1 all housed in the Submarine Museum in HMS Dolphin

M33 is a WWI monitor.

[-SBF-]
Alpha Tester
36 posts

USS Saratoga CV-3 sister ship to USS Lexington. They were rebuilt battle cruisers that were scrapped due to the Washington treaty 1922. These two ships were two of their times most expensive ships. They fielded the same armament as heavy cruisers but I am not sure if they ever fired their main cannons in anger.

15144891937_39e8ca13e3_z.jpg

15144691580_36ca356962_z.jpg

Edited by Grolim

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,498 posts
10,385 battles

standard.jpg

Fleet review at Spithead. Picture neatly shows just how loveably ugly the NelRods were :)

Alpha Tester
98 posts
606 battles

Hello,

i have some pictures from my favourite ship (i hope sometimes the italian NAVY will enter WoWS) the BOLZANO.

The BOLZANO is the last - but very improved - ship of the TRENTO Class heavy Cruisers.

The history of the ship is very interesting and it is famous for a picture in battle with the Mediterranean Fleet from the Royal Navy, the Battle of Cape Spartivento, 27 Nov 1940.

ship-bolzano.jpg

Bolzano, during the Battle of Cape Spartivento, 27 Nov 1940

battle_malta2.jpg

BolzanoONI2.JPG

Ok, going slightly off topic here. I have been looking for a book, or other resource that has the Naval Intelligence diagrams shown above. I really really like those. They kind of give me a nerdgasm.

But I have not been able to find them anywhere. I have seen pictures show up here and on wikipedia, does anyone know the proper name of the book that has them all?

Players
1,244 posts

Ok, going slightly off topic here. I have been looking for a book, or other resource that has the Naval Intelligence diagrams shown above. I really really like those. They kind of give me a nerdgasm.

But I have not been able to find them anywhere. I have seen pictures show up here and on wikipedia, does anyone know the proper name of the book that has them all?

Here you go:

http://ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/ONI/

Keep in mind that these should be intended as historical documents, being intelligence reports made during the war they're prone to contain mistakes, for example they mention an incorrect number of Soldati class destroyers under construction.

EDIT: In case you're wondering, this particular mistake was probably caused by the fact that they overlooked those seven destroyers were 1:1 substitutions.

ONI is also the probable source for a widespread mistake concerning the Battle of Ko Chong, many books, including for example Conway's All The World's Fighting Ships, say that both Thai coastal defence ships were involved in this battle.

Edited by RedBear87
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
98 posts
606 battles

Thanks man, much appreciated.

For WW1 ships I have the Jane's Fighting Ships 1919 version, which was reprinted, but never was able to find an equivalent book on WW2 ships. But this will fill the void, mostly.

Players
115 posts

Western guncams/control photos are well-known.

Others - much less so.

On photo - Z-28 under combined bomb/strafe attack by shturmoviks of 7th guards assault regiment, 22.10.1944. Z-28 itself was supporting german army near Memel(modern Lit. Klaipeda).

ApNfka2.jpg

• Cool 3

[0RCA]
Alpha Tester
489 posts
2,677 battles

I'm just being picky I know but I took part in HMS Victory's RN decommissioning in the late 80's, I asked at the time what it meant and was told the ship itself had to be decommissioned before the duties of "crewing" the ship could be handed over to civilian staff from the dockyard museum. Before that it was a pretty cushy shore draft for RN personnel if you didn't mind being a tour guide for six months dressed up in your silly suit all day!

It was only a paperwork exercise really but the old Andrew had to have a bit of a ceremony, the reason I remember it so well was because I was busting a gut trying not to laugh while stood to attention because the Rear Admiral making the speech sounded exactly like Commandant Lassard from the Police Academy movies :D

[HMSF]
Alpha Tester
148 posts
3,397 battles

King_George_V_class_battleship_1945.jpg

A good view of the quad turret set up on the old King Georges

[UDW]
Community Contributor, In AlfaTesters
1,623 posts
15,924 battles

Graf Zeppelin German Aircraft Carrier while building:

Bundesarchiv_RM_25_Bild-62%2C_Flugzeugtr