You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Tuccy

General Cool Pictures - WWII

211 comments in this topic

[WG]
[WG]
WG Staff, Community, Alpha Tester
3,498 posts
10,378 battles

Inspired by another forum, starting this thread for WWII warships. It is not dedicated to any single class or nation, just to general cool pictures floating around the Interwebs and books.

Let's start with TG 38.3 entering Ulithi atoll in 12/44. Ships front to back, as follows:

USS Washington (BB-56)

USS North Carolina (BB-55)

USS South Dakota (BB-57)

Harder tgo ID the cruisers, TG 38.3 had 4 light cruisers, but onlz 3 are visible in the picture, so it will be some of these:

USS Santa Fe (CL-60) 

USS Biloxi (CL-80)

USS Mobile (CL-63)

USS Oakland (CL-95).

Posted originally on WWII Warships FB group by Antonio Veiga.

10479233_10204083373993468_1100238085532

• Cool 4

[BEWBS]
[BEWBS]
Alpha Tester
459 posts
3,776 battles
1944_06_06_a_robert_green.jpg

June 1944: HMS Rodney seen off the coast of Normandy, France during the D-Day landings.

• Cool 4

Alpha Tester
257 posts
134 battles

A very sad photo but undeniably a great shot. Shows the split second impact before a kamikaze, while I guess it's not 'cool' I suppose it really does show 1000 words. 3 May 1945.

16789d1256184164-uss-missouri-went-drydo

Second photo I think is just stunningly beautiful. It is the HMS Howe passing through the Suez Canal on her way to join the British Pacific Fleet. 14 July 1944.

HMS_Howe_(32)_passing_Suez_Canal_1944.jp

Edited by tjm123
  • Cool 5

Alpha Tester
257 posts
134 battles

Really nice picture. Shame ther are no battleships I can see in uk would really love to see 1 . But to have seen a group in ther heyday like in this picture would of been amazing

That really is the problem of being in the UK, while we had the largest navy in the world, there is nothing to show for it. 

If you haven't been already I highly recommend the historic dockyard in Portsmouth. They have the HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and HMS Warrior on view and you can go onto and look around both HMS Victory and HMS Warrior. There is also an old minesweeper in a dry dock I believe which is good to look at and also you have the opportunity to take a harbour tour from the dockyard and they take you past all of the current Royal Navy ships which is a great experience, last time I went I believe they were also offering a free boat ride to the submarine museum across the harbour as well which is another great visit.

While we have no battleships or destroyers on display which is upsetting you can always visit HMS Belfast in London. Another great day out and you can really grasp the power of these ships when standing in the tower overlooking the main deck guns.

You may have already been to these places but if you haven't I'd highly recommend you do. :eyesup: 

• Cool 1

[WG]
[WG]
3,498 posts
10,378 battles

US Destroyer photographed from USS New Jersey on rough seas.

10384672_10204208151834786_3282577630437From U.S. Navy photo in NARA record group 80-G-470284 via WWII Warships group.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
1,191 posts
8,097 battles

That really is the problem of being in the UK, while we had the largest navy in the world, there is nothing to show for it. 

If you haven't been already I highly recommend the historic dockyard in Portsmouth. They have the HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and HMS Warrior on view and you can go onto and look around both HMS Victory and HMS Warrior. There is also an old minesweeper in a dry dock I believe which is good to look at and also you have the opportunity to take a harbour tour from the dockyard and they take you past all of the current Royal Navy ships which is a great experience, last time I went I believe they were also offering a free boat ride to the submarine museum across the harbour as well which is another great visit.

While we have no battleships or destroyers on display which is upsetting you can always visit HMS Belfast in London. Another great day out and you can really grasp the power of these ships when standing in the tower overlooking the main deck guns.

You may have already been to these places but if you haven't I'd highly recommend you do. :eyesup: 

Sadly I haven't been but I really want to and will hopefully do wen im down near Portsmouth this September. At some point im also planning on going to the US to see some battleships

Weekend Tester
8 posts

IJN Destroyer Sagiri training with Nagato-class battleships, Autumn 1941.

8H2V6ttl.jpg

Edited by YUMYUM
  • Cool 3

Weekend Tester
8 posts

Fubuki-class destroyers in trainingAutumn 1941.

From left to right: Sagiri, Amagiri and Asagiri

emT7dGhl.jpg

Edited by YUMYUM
  • Cool 3

[R_N_G]
[R_N_G]
Alpha Tester
644 posts
12,209 battles

i don't know if it's "cool"... but definitely important: First shots of WW2...

WNGER_11-40_skc04_Schleswig-Holstein_Pol

[WG]
[WG]
3,498 posts
10,378 battles

Heavy Seas.jpg

Heavy seas and rain on the morning of 13 January 1945. USS LEXINGTON CV-16 attempts to fuel from ATASCOSA AO-66 while a destroyer takes a heavy roll to starboard.
U.S. Navy photo in NARA record group 80-G-299869 

Heavy Seas.jpg

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
34 posts
544 battles

Fort Rannoch. Built John Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen 1936

This was the Irish effort of defense for WW2...something tells me we may have lost if we were invaded...

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
34 posts
544 battles

Did Zuikaku blow up suddenly during sinking, or it was Shokaku? Im always mixing them :|

I think it was Shokaku, fuel vapors inside the ship or something ignited as such if i recall

• Cool 1

Players
1,244 posts

While we have no battleships or destroyers on display which is upsetting you can always visit HMS Belfast in London.

Isn't there HMS Cavalier?

Some pictures of Conte di Cavour:

Nocturne navigation, the picture was taken during the reconstruction, the turrets have been removed.

24lizc7.jpg

After the reconstruction, from above

rr47zs.jpg

During gun trials

10ydveh.jpg

All pictures resized, click on the individual picture for original resolution. Source.

• Cool 4

[LEGIO]
Alpha Tester
2,279 posts
9,837 battles

Did Zuikaku blow up suddenly during sinking, or it was Shokaku? Im always mixing them :|

Actually it was Shokaku. She was already sinking, then explosion torn her apart. Taiho also suffered an explosion that doomed her, but it`s a bit different story. 

ship_shokaku10.jpg

On picture: Chief shipbuilders of Shokaku posing in front of her in May 1939, two days prior to launching. 

Alpha Tester
3,274 posts
832 battles

Actually it was Shokaku. She was already sinking, then explosion torn her apart. Taiho also suffered an explosion that doomed her, but it`s a bit different story. 

ship_shokaku10.jpg

On picture: Chief shipbuilders of Shokaku posing in front of her in May 1939, two days prior to launching. 

Aye.. i know about Taiho...  But Shokaku`s crew were crack team, and they didnt expected damned thing to explode at all, if i remember - they were lining up on main deck and preparing to abandon ship. Then everything exploded and whole vessel sunk fast with nearly whole crew :sad: