Sign in to follow this  
goodman528

Is Tirpitz the Type 59 of WOWS?

156 members have voted

1. 1. Is Tirpitz the type 59 of warships?

• Yes
    • No

41 comments in this topic

[GULIK]
Beta Tester
216 posts

I started playing world of tanks back around patch 7.0 when type 59 was still on sale, but I was noob and didn't buy it. Now that I have spent quite a lot of money on the game and got multiple tier 10 tanks, I kind of regret not buying the type 59, because it is definitely the best tier 8 tank in the game and it is a premium.

Now, with warships, I have Atago which is not a good ship compared to other tier 8 cruisers. However, I think Tirpitz is an amazingly over powered ship on par with what type 59 was to world of tanks. I have not been able to citadel the Tirpitz with my North Carolina at any range, and I find the Tirpitz rudder shift time is certainly enough to 5km brawl with my Atago. Yes, I am just a noob with only 47k average damage per battle, however I get the feeling this ship is the most OP tier 8 premium there will ever be. Do you have a Tirpitz? What do you think?

• Cool 2

Weekend Tester
1,244 posts

Yes, the Tirpitz's citadel armor is great, but it does take a LOT of regular heavy hits. It's plagued by it's poor turret traverse angles which force it to expose it's side at a shallow angle to make full use of it's guns.

You don't need citadels when you hit for 30k with regular penetrating volleys.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
34 posts
3,405 battles

A ship is out for 5 days and people are already drawing conclusions.

It's really hard to really get a feel for the balance because the Tirpitz fights against other Tirpies.

Tier8 Battleships and Carriers are the sealclubbing ships of choice for the coming month though. 

Also this thread is just clickbait crap.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
626 posts

I started playing world of tanks back around patch 7.0 when type 59 was still on sale, but I was noob and didn't buy it. Now that I have spent quite a lot of money on the game and got multiple tier 10 tanks, I kind of regret not buying the type 59, because it is definitely the best tier 8 tank in the game and it is a premium.

Now, with warships, I have Atago which is not a good ship compared to other tier 8 cruisers. However, I think Tirpitz is an amazingly over powered ship on par with what type 59 was to world of tanks. I have not been able to citadel the Tirpitz with my North Carolina at any range, and I find the Tirpitz rudder shift time is certainly enough to 5km brawl with my Atago. Yes, I am just a noob with only 47k average damage per battle, however I get the feeling this ship is the most OP tier 8 premium there will ever be. Do you have a Tirpitz? What do you think?

I have a Tirpitz, a NC and a Amagi.

No,  Tirpitz isn't OP, without Torps and being a Premium it would rather be UP... this way, it is fine as is.

Weekend Tester
946 posts

The "Tirpitz-pack" experience is utterly unlike the "Type59-pack" experience was. I don't know if you remember what it was like when platoons of un-nerfed Types playing? They'd simply wipe out every tank on the enemy team, regardless of tier or model - unless they came up against another Type platoon.

Alpha Tester
10 posts
2,546 battles

nope Tirpitz is not like type59, I have both and well type was great and still is if you dont play like idiot, but when it was on hype and you playzed in platoon or just coordinated with your type team mates you could do anythink in game  several T10 heavies, or f*ck other meds or go through map to take arties. Tirpitz is more like Löwe

Alpha Tester
5,609 posts
5,569 battles

I started playing world of tanks back around patch 7.0 when type 59 was still on sale

I kind of regret not buying the type 59, because it is definitely the best tier 8 tank in the game and it is a premium.

That info is as old as the 0.7.0 patch itself.
  • Cool 2

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,412 posts
7,888 battles

Personal view:

It's quite a nice ship,  but wouldn't say it's the most powerful.

The guns are faster firing, but they're not machine guns. They still have a 26 sec reload which makes them not a huge difference against normal BB. It also has less shells, of smaller caliber, so you're less likely to get citadels against BB than another BB is.

The dispersion isn't as bad as it seems on paper, from all the shots I've seen it seems to have a horizontal dispersion rather than vertical. This means against cruisers they can get hit in multiple places along their hull, which actually seems to up your chance of a citadel hit. Against destroyers it means you can fire a full volley and due to the spread are more likely to hit them if they slow/accelerate. 

Against a ship heading towards you (E.g. BB at range), the spread means a lot of shots miss, and due to the lower caliber the few that do are less likely to punch through deck armour. When you end up encountering Yamato/Montana this isn't very funny.

The armour is pretty solid, and it's hard to citadel. That doesn't make it invulnerable, it still takes damage, it just means it's less likely to lose huge amounts in one go. Amusingly it does its best against other Tirpitz since they have small caliber guns. It does have a nice health pool, so a superintendent + premium consumables + running away if things get too hot can keep you alive for quite a while.

The speed is nice. It's not a powerboat, but 30kn will get you where you want to go, and out of trouble well enough.

The AA is pretty poor. You either need lots of support, or not to be the target.

The torps are more gimmick than main weapon. Most of the time there's nothing within 6km. Usually since the torps are in the middle of your ship they're permanently broken anyway either from HE splash, or from an AP overpen on them. Occasionally you can fire a set off at someone who hasn't realised yet, buy it's rare.

Bonus feature: it has 4 spotting planes. 5 if you take superintendent. You can't use this many, but amused me regardless.

Beta Tester
405 posts

I have both Atago and Tirpitz and both are good ships depending how you play them, Tirpitz is not at all OP

Beta Tester
658 posts

Is Tirpitz the type 59 of warships?

No, its the Löwe XD

This.

Nothing to really worry about. 

Players
75 posts
1,133 battles

Don't know why all the hate, I really like my Tirpitz. The thing I don't like is the long queues, and the flood of Tirpitzes. Honestly I think we can't yet say how strong the ship is, as due the flood of them, tier VIII battles usually have a shitload of battleships, but few cruisers. Why is that a problem? Well, AA. The Tirpitz has a weak AA, so currently tier 8 battles are a feast for carriers, Tirpitzes are really meaty torpedo targets. Think we should return to this question when the hype settles a bit and you'll see "only" 4-6 in a battle, not 8+.

(Yeah I said "Tirpitz" a lot, sorry about that)

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
287 posts
9,550 battles

All new tanks introduced to WoT are called OP sooner or later by someone. Type was called OP because it was hard for people to deal with a medium tank that had good armor on T8 and back in the days of the sales it was so common that Types often teamed up and cleared out the enemy team, something you can with 3-4 T-44's, Pershings, and basically all T8 medium tanks.

Hell, I remember some forum topics on Lowe being and the M6 Franken-tank being OP right when WoT was released. People tend to scream "OP this, OP that", when they meet a vehicle they never tried and have no experience in dealing with it.

Weekend Tester
1,244 posts

All new tanks introduced to WoT are called OP sooner or later by someone. Type was called OP because it was hard for people to deal with a medium tank that had good armor on T8 and back in the days of the sales it was so common that Types often teamed up and cleared out the enemy team, something you can with 3-4 T-44's, Pershings, and basically all T8 medium tanks.

Hell, I remember some forum topics on Lowe being and the M6 Franken-tank being OP right when WoT was released. People tend to scream "OP this, OP that", when they meet a vehicle they never tried and have no experience in dealing with it.

Well, to be fair they did [edited]up the Type 59's armor model when it was first introduced. They accidentally gave it the same hull armor as the T-54 (since they had just recycled the model) instead of the listed 100/80/45, which made it close to immune to all guns found a t7 and extremely resistant to all guns at t8. They fixed this fairly quickly, but the damage was done: the Type 59 had gained it's OP badge.

Beta Tester
117 posts

Absolutely not!

Everyone who hasn't yet figured out how to sink the Tirpitz and gets chewed up by her on a regular basis, will come here and start a whinethread/poll about how OP'ed she is.

I just bought her tonight, and I am amazed at how squishy she is. Modules gets taken out all the time - and getting used to be on fire is a must for each Tirpitz driver (even more so than "regular" BBs).

So far - only PVE'ed in her to get a hang of how she performs ... and although I like her ... she sort of performs below expectations.

Players
5 posts
3,701 battles

Its funny to see how history repeats itself.

When Lowe introduced in WoT years ago was very good sniping German tank with decent armor earning lot of XPs and silver everybody wanted it. Later Wargaming (WG) nerfed that many times (lower speed, increased size, transition to front) so that’s now obsolete burning torch. Same with Type59 good premium at the beginning and then constant nerfs (reduced mobility, increased aim time etc.) made that average.

Lets not be naïve, WG is here to make profits. Its WG best interest to introduce premium (or even some standard) tanks or ships demonstrating good stats to motivate people to spend real cash either to buy or convert free XP. That strategy apparently worked on WoT thus happened for last many years and will happen again in WoWS. In next months Tirpitz will be nerfed to make it average (or sub-average), new country lines with new premium or sometimes standard “OP” ships will be introduced and the story repeats.

So generally you either join the club, spend your cash and enjoy those premium ship (e.g. Tirpitz for BB and Murmansk for CA) as long as you can prior inevitable nerfs which to come; or play standard ships and hope you get some good games with decent MM and teammates.

Players
4 posts
219 battles

Small, cramped maps. Quite at odds with the entire point of Naval Warfare.

A bunch of individuals (who probably don't even speak the same language) thrown together, like gladiators in an arena, and expected to work together as a "team".

A "paper-scissors-stone" relationship between the various multitude of vessels available all supposedly balanced against each other (balance is an anachronism ...most Naval engagements hinged on a lack of balance to determine the result.

Now, the most talked about premium is a ship from a class that was designed to sink merchant ships and to avoid fighting anything that could hurt her. A class of which the sister ship was sunk on her first and only mission. A ship that herself spent almost her entire career moored up in harbour, hidden from the enemy.

All hail the "mighty" Tirpitz.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
7 posts
2,395 battles

The Atago is not a good Tier 8 cruiser? Really? Huh. I own the Atago (also own a Tirpitz) and I have no fear taking on any tier 8 or 9 ship in the game. It has the best torpedo layout of any cruiser, by far, it's HE does good damage and has a good fire chance and the AP will wreck anything you shoot at, provided you know how to aim properly. I don't yet have my tier 5 captain skill (I run with a dedicated Atago captain) and I already have a detection range of 10.4 Km, almost in torpedo range. When I get Concealment Expert that will drop to 9.2 Km. If I don't like the way a fight is going I just disengage, drop some torps, vanish and look for someone else to pick on.

If you're having poor results playing your Atago then I'd suggest a change in tactics because played right the Atago is a beast of a ship. Check out voulezvousTV on Youtube for some excellent examples of how to play the Atago effectively.

The Atago is, without doubt, the best tier 8 cruiser in the game. If you're looking for a contender for a WoWs Type 59 then you should be looking at the Atago, not the Tirpitz.

• Cool 1

Players
2,989 posts
11,824 battles

Necromancy detected! 

Looking at the date also helps understanding how and why the previous remarks are up there ....  ;)