Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
varis

Can air detection be improved?

8 comments in this topic

Players
98 posts
552 battles

How about changing air detection? For many possibilities to improve gameplay, teamplay, etc etc! This would mean aircraft are detected earlier, but also enemy ships can be better scouted out by aircraft.

Benefits.

-Fighters now become more interesting, being the first phase of many maneuvers as air can block attacks etc

-Many ships have interesting new roles with their scout aircraft. Carriers could have a recon squad as an option too, would give more options eg. if you're going to a clan match with a 2 CV setup

-Torpedo bombers don't just appear and jump on lone BB. Instead they have precious long seconds to scream for AA, CAP and so on

-Carrier strikes become much more intense and add tension, as you see them coming further away and the whole team may focus on them more

-Destroyers cease to be a solo class and need support from the team, too

Fire at will :P

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

How about changing air detection? For many possibilities to improve gameplay, teamplay, etc etc! This would mean aircraft are detected earlier, but also enemy ships can be better scouted out by aircraft.

Benefits.

-Fighters now become more interesting, being the first phase of many maneuvers as air can block attacks etc

-Many ships have interesting new roles with their scout aircraft. Carriers could have a recon squad as an option too, would give more options eg. if you're going to a clan match with a 2 CV setup

-Torpedo bombers don't just appear and jump on lone BB. Instead they have precious long seconds to scream for AA, CAP and so on

-Carrier strikes become much more intense and add tension, as you see them coming further away and the whole team may focus on them more

-Destroyers cease to be a solo class and need support from the team, too

Fire at will :P

-fighters are interesting enough

-carriers can scout with fighters enough

-TBs gets spotted i think at 8km so no

-not going to happen team focus on what? everyone wil ltry to evade them

-oh good beat the dead horse even more

Beta Tester
441 posts
1,160 battles

-TBs gets spotted i think at 8km so no

They don't. You'll find that they get spotted between 6.5 and 5.5km away from you, depending on the carrier. This makes certain ships with good long range AA far less powerful than they deserve to be.

Increasing the distance at which planes get spotted was the first nerf I would've argued in favor of because it doesn't necessarily gimp a carrier's performance the way AA buffs/hitpoint nerfs would.

Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

They don't. You'll find that they get spotted between 6.5 and 5.5km away from you, depending on the carrier. This makes certain ships with good long range AA far less powerful than they deserve to be.

Increasing the distance at which planes get spotted was the first nerf I would've argued in favor of because it doesn't necessarily gimp a carrier's performance the way AA buffs/hitpoint nerfs would.

Are you sure that your system(due to ping) acknowledges their position later? I watched lone BB vs CV fights a lot and planes would get sptoted 8km from the ship(no spotter plane)

Beta Tester
441 posts
1,160 battles

Are you sure that your system(due to ping) acknowledges their position later? I watched lone BB vs CV fights a lot and planes would get sptoted 8km from the ship(no spotter plane)

I've had enemy Taiho fighters move almost parallel to my DM between 5.2 and what I presume to be around 6km. Spotting distance in that case was 5.5km. It can't be lag or latencies. I haven't been able to produce that 8km spotting distance in a long time.

Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

I've had enemy Taiho fighters move almost parallel to my DM between 5.2 and what I presume to be around 6km. Spotting distance in that case was 5.5km. It can't be lag or latencies. I haven't been able to produce that 8km spotting distance in a long time.

maybe diffrent ships have diffrent spotting range on their plane. 

[-AWF-]
Players
1,207 posts
6,812 battles

It IS absurd that ships can see other ships futher away then planes can, so longer spotting ranges for planes sounds good.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester
4,775 posts
13,351 battles

Longer distances could seem realistic, however DDs already struggle plenty due to spare fighters permaspotting them, effectively taking them out of a match for little cost. And the earlier a plane spots CAs, the less time they waste by approaching a defended BB. This is a buff that CVs doesn't really need.

The only usable option would be to have a scout squad with improved scouting, that replaces another plane squad, and I doubt any CV outside of possible full premade team play would pick such an option.

Sign in to follow this