Sign in to follow this  
Nagine

USN DD guns

9 comments in this topic

[LAI]
Beta Tester
680 posts
2,869 battles

I am just wondering, how to use 127 mm guns on US destroyers effectively? More specifically, I have Sims and its guns can barely scratch paint on bigger target. Fires are also almost nonexistent. So what do you target when all enemy DDs are downed? Are AP shells worth looking at?

Players
377 posts
8,256 battles

I am just wondering, how to use 127 mm guns on US destroyers effectively? More specifically, I have Sims and its guns can barely scratch paint on bigger target. Fires are also almost nonexistent. So what do you target when all enemy DDs are downed? Are AP shells worth looking at?

Try your Torps.......lol

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
6,036 posts
34,088 battles

Basicly, US DDs until tier 9-10 are good for only one thing: find and hunt JP DD, using the guns. Plus maybe in the end game cap or try a kamikaze torp run.

Players
3,436 posts
21,813 battles

Ocean map, after the IJN dds have been killed, i tend to stay with the largest group of ships and hurl HE at opponents.

AP shells can work on some lower tier lightly armored cruisers (phoenix, omaha, tenryu). No experience (with AP) > tier 5. Things tend to kill one if you give your position away.

[LAI]
Beta Tester
680 posts
2,869 battles

True, but I think he's asking whether AP is useful for hunting DDS or just stick to HE. Correct me if I've got tht wrong

No, had in mind how to damage CAs, CVs, etc. For example, recently had annoying game where I landed more than 50 hits on a fleeing Independence (all HE). However, not a single fire and still needed the help of a friendly cruiser to finish him off. So was wondering, perhaps AP would have given better results. Or I shouldn't have expected to kill it at all.

Kinda strange to see that tier 7 US DD's guns are worse than the same tier IJN DD's (for hunting big targets), even though the latter has better torps. Of course, US still has an upper hand in DD duels.

Alpha Tester
2,062 posts
4,171 battles

Shoot HE at the superstructure, and not the hull of the ship. The superstructure has zero to no armour and will grant you good damage rolls for HE if you hit properly

Sign in to follow this