Sign in to follow this  
trrprrprr

Ability to counter launched torpedos?

16 comments in this topic

Players
228 posts
3,227 battles

Again me with damn torpedos lol. Already playing cv to somehow feel good lol.   Anyways, wouldnt it be grat to be able to shoot down torpedos? With main guns or an extra upgrade, where you sacrifice AA guns and gain anti torp guns?  This game is great and all, but that torp spam is just nuts.  Later on carriers have 3 or what torp planes, so with one go it 100% sinks down any ship.

So it would be great to have ability to fight back or make AA more powerful as now no matter you have 5 or 35AA guns, you kill only one plane after he already launched torps.  Maby it will change when i upgrade to 20% more range, but still they feel kinda weak against air.

So make a hp pool on torpedos so you req atleast two direct hits to take down one torp....

My english isnt very good, but i hope i wrote what i did think in my head  :D

[BANG-]
Beta Tester
857 posts
11,484 battles

I think they had that idea, but for whatever reason it didn't work or something.

Pretty sure some of the supertesters can shed some light.

But untill then A and D are your friends.

[-RFA-]
Alpha Tester
238 posts
19,124 battles

I think that would be a terrible idear...

There have never been any pratical weapon for something like that... "but it is just a game", yes and no... yes it is a game, but that does not mean that weapons that have never been there, should be invented just so that BB's don't have to turn or do anything other than rely on their anti-torp weapons.

Also, yes there are more planes later on, but the AA of every ship also goes way up... Ad to that, US destroyers seams to get the AA defence that the cruisers have at the moment... It will get harder for planes to deliver their payload on target. 

Beta Tester
142 posts
995 battles

Well, as Seinta said, A and D are the counters available.

And sincerely, i don't know if you could or if there were guns designed to shoot down torps in the water.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, historicaly, but was most propably a damn fluke of luck than a dedicated team or gun to destroy them.

Edited by Vulpes79

Players
228 posts
3,227 battles

Well, as Seinta said, A and D are the counters available.

And sincerely, i don't know if you could or if there were guns designed to shoot down torps in the water.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, historicaly, but was most propably a damn fluke of luck than a dedicated team or gun to destroy them.

I would live with a damn luck. A and D will do nothing in a BB when you get shot by three torp planes from two directions. This game lacks a balance vs torps.   I agree, that more skilled players even in slow BBs will avoid most of torps, but still will get hit by atleast two. Cruisers and dds have no problem avoiding torpedos.    I just want to play BBs, but they are the least enjoyable ships in game, least damage done, least exp gain.   Still a very big noob and dont know a crap about this game....

Players
847 posts

Yes, there are many Torps and they do a lot of damage (well, they did in real life too). I suggest that you play some DD and CV and you'll learn about the downsides they have - and the great moments when they get a BB with one salvo.

a) The keys against torpedobombers are teamplay, situational awareness and A+D.

Situational awareness and A+D:

If you react after hearing torpedo alerts its already much too late. Because if CV driver knows how to manually torp alarm will ring off a single second before torps hit you.

The moment a torpedo bomber apears on the minimap which seems to head somewhere near my way is the moment I point at him an mark him as primary target for my AA guns (using CTRL + left Mouseclick) - even if he's 10 or more kilometers away, thus far out of AA range.

If he closes further in and you could be the the target it's time to make his approach difficult and start turning the ship. He's maybe entered my AA range by the time I start turning but sometimes even still out of it. Especially BBs needs lots of rudder shifttime (and hull upgrades) until they finally start turning fast. Keep front or bow towards the bombers as long as possible (they can still outmanouver you) while giving your AA time to shoot during his additional manouvers. At least when starting to turn you should mark the bombers as primary AA target (remember: I start turning when he's out of AA range and far from dropping his torps).

And yes, you can't shoot enemy ships during that time normally, but the bombers are the bigger problem at that time. Head away from enemy if possible.

teamplay:

Yes, it's hard in random games and a lot easier if you team up in a division.

But when people use their brains it can be done. I don't like the general "I want AA cover" idea right at the beginning of the game - especially if a lowest tier BB thinks he's that important means to me he's just asking for AA every game..

But if you don't sail alone somewhere it's still time to ask for additional AA cover from a CA when the bombers appear on minimap and are (probably) heading towards your direction.

If you are in a CA take care of the situation, don't drive to far away from BBs and try to keep an option to drive yourself between the BB and the approaching bombers so they must fly near by you and you can take out some.

If your CA is almost down, disengage from enemy ships instead of dying with just a little more damage and support your higher tier BBs with your AA. Same as with BBs: Start marking primary AA targets early, keep an eye on planes in general and use your extra AA skill and module (instead of useless sonar) to make it hard for CV drivers.

Yeah, this game sometimes needs people not tunnelvisioning and looking solely on their damage counter...

And yeah, until tier 5 AA on most ships is rather crap, but there aren't that many bombers in the game either.

High tier CVs have many planes but also suffer from strong AA.

b) the keys to avoid DD torps are: 1 point captains skill   of situational awareness and A+D.

If the light turns up that you've been spottet by a ship AND you don't see an enemy ship then it's100% a DD that spotted you! And yes, he might come further in and launches his torps unseen. From that moment the warning flashes off, never go in a straight line for mor than 5 seconds and avoid predictable course changes. Don't close in on the enemy further - there's an unspotted DD in front of you!

Try to spot the DD by using your scout planes and shoot them whenever possible using single shots adjusting your aiming after each shot.

Try not to show your broadside towards enemy, better drive something like 45° towards or away from them between your shots.This way turning in or away to show bow or stern is faster when torps are finally spotted. (Basic outmanouver against torps is to show bow or stern of ship to torp thus presenting smallest possible target). Most times the enemy DD is in the direct of the enemy, not besides or behind you (well, if your team left huge gaps...)

to sum up:

- I constantly manouver my ships if I don't have to get somewhere really quick.

- I'm looking minimap and detection light very often.

- Don't wait until bombers are there - react while they are still far away. If you do, you'll let other "sitting duck" / "driving straight line targets" appear a lot juicier to the enemy CV than you are.

... Edited for typos...

Edited by anonym_1YeUldJS8pjx
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

I would live with a damn luck. A and D will do nothing in a BB when you get shot by three torp planes from two directions. This game lacks a balance vs torps.   I agree, that more skilled players even in slow BBs will avoid most of torps, but still will get hit by atleast two. Cruisers and dds have no problem avoiding torpedos.    I just want to play BBs, but they are the least enjoyable ships in game, least damage done, least exp gain.   Still a very big noob and dont know a crap about this game....

This is your problem not the game's fault. You can watch ichase's videos and he does a pretty good naval academy serie. After that you will learn more or less what you need

THis is ichase naval academy playlist have fun in there

Edit: short cut

Edited by Userext

[G0LD]
[G0LD]
Alpha Tester
1,464 posts
5,529 battles

Cruisers and dds have no problem avoiding torpedos.  

Thats not correct. A DD can be sunk via Cross Torping.

A Cruisers by plane when he is all for himself.. alone.

I just want to play BBs, but they are the least enjoyable ships in game, least damage done, least exp gain

Thats not correct too. You should really read into some BB Guides how to use your Battleship correct.

You will see "least damage" is not the way to descripe a one salvo one kill habit of some battle ship Players and the "outch" Effekt it do to cruisers and other BB Drivers.

About XP.. i wouldnt say 1200 Base XP on an average Game on the Low side.. thats almost the standard for me.. i really have to screw it up to "Only" get ~800..

[PRAVD]
Weekend Tester
3,802 posts
8,369 battles

Is that why DDs are doing the worst out of all classes in the game?

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/27867-snapshot-stats-of-the-eu-server/page__fromsearch__1

Players
847 posts

Okay, thank you guys for tips!  only whats STRG?  Diddnt know i could mark planes o.0

Ah sorry, it's CTRL Key on english keyboards (the one very bottom left)

Buy pressing CTRL and do a left click you can:

a) mark the planes under your cursor as primary target for AA

b) mark enemy ships (e.g. DDs) as primary target for secondary guns.

You'll see a little whity symbol above the enemys name when done correctly.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
2,062 posts
4,171 battles

Further tip: You can only have one "marked target" available simultaneously, so you'll need to prioritise if you are attacked by a torp bomber and DD at the same time. EDIT: I stand corrected

IJN CV are somewhat unbalanced atm, due to the sheer number of available torp bombers. It will probably be fixed, but I'm not certain how it will pan out.

On-topic: We had this discussion some time ago, and I think the general consensus was that since it didn't work in real life, it shouldn't work in WoWs either.

Edited by Vogel

Players
847 posts

Further tip: You can only have one "marked target" available simultaneously, so you'll need to prioritise if you are attacked by a torp bomber and DD at the same time.

Nope, focussing one AA and one secondary target is possible same time. They even have different symbols for it.

Only problem are those secondary guns that are also used for AA. Don't know what AI is doing with them but from my experience I would say they do both jobs same time (though not realistic buts it's not a simulation).

IJN CV are somewhat unbalanced atm, due to the sheer number of available torp bombers. It will probably be fixed, but I'm not certain how it will pan out.

IJN CVs all lose their 3rd torpedo bomber squad until tier 9 with the next patch 0.4.1 (if not changed before).

Players
847 posts

Like the video above (puh, didn't tell complete [edited]).

Here's a video from a battle scenario with a lonely Colorado fighting enemy IJN tier 6 CV.

Sometimes marked enemy planes a little late for my opinion, but changing to the next oncoming planes (instead of shooting on empty bombers) is a good idea too. He took damage from the divebombers, but those a the less import problems while he was dodgeing waves of torpbombers. Though it seems the CV driver uses automatic drops which are easier to avoid.

starting from 2:30 with selecting and dodgeing bomber after bomber and on 4:25 selecting DD as secondary gun target (and later that carrier)

[WG]
WG Staff
2,779 posts
13,261 battles

Hmm, I'd say American ones do a really better job when played by a skilled player. With 3 IJN torpedo squads, you'll likely put 7 torpedoes max on target. You'll only need 2 torp squads for 8 torpedo hits with USN. I really prefer to fight japanese carriers rather than a "strike" USN. 

Edited by Okitank

Sign in to follow this