Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
beani5003

ok, what am i supposed to do?

10 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
218 posts
4,196 battles

So, i bit my pride and decided to give CV's a go, go free XP'd a Hosho.

Surprisingly, i'm actually enjoying it, and its not as easy as i thought it would be, so thats a plus.

I cut my teeth in Co-Op battles, learning manual drops and general controlling of the CV.

Then i jumped into Random Battles and I met the MM.

What the hell am i supposed to do against a Langley and a Bogue? Every flight i sent up got whelped.

I tried to draw the enemy fighters over friendly CA's, but they got chewed up anyway.

My fighters couldn't do anything, i didn't even get one aircraft kill, and only managed to get 2 torp spreads out.

I have the Air Group Mod 1 and the Damage Control modual equipped.

Skills wise, i have Expert Rear Gunner and Torpedo Armament Expertise.

So, given all that, what can i do? Grind out more skills in Co-Op? Just accept it as the rubbish that it is?

I understand that this is likely to be solved in the next patch, but as its been pushed back to god knows when.

(also, is it just me, or are IJN CV's extremely underpowered compared to USN CV's?)

[FIFO]
[FIFO]
Beta Tester
2,451 posts
7,514 battles

1) have you upgraded the fighters? It should be your first upgrade when you get a new carrier

2) have you added the upgrades and captain skills that might help?

3) up until tier VI cruiser AA can be anywhere between hopeless to... kinda ok - make sure any cruiser you bait them over isn't something like a St Louis as they won't help chew up enemy planes at all

[SCRUB]
Players
2,477 posts
10,666 battles

Ok... first of all... accept the fact that IJN will LOSE every single dogfight. So learn to be clever. Plat cat and mousr and bomb where they dont expect. Torpedos make much more xp, but it requires patience snd tactics, to find your way past their fighters. LURE them, use unexpected routes.... I had the same impression also, thinking USN is superior, but stick with IJN. It is better, when you LEARN.

Beta Tester
218 posts
4,196 battles

1) have you upgraded the fighters? It should be your first upgrade when you get a new carrier

2) have you added the upgrades and captain skills that might help?

3) up until tier VI cruiser AA can be anywhere between hopeless to... kinda ok - make sure any cruiser you bait them over isn't something like a St Louis as they won't help chew up enemy planes at all

ahh, forgot to add that, yes, i've upgraded my Hosho fully.

Yes, i've added as many upgrades and skills as i can at the moment.

Players
2,989 posts
11,824 battles

Nothing, MM hosed you -> Move on and hope for the promised patch to be very soon instead of soonTM.

Its the same as when a driving a middle tier BB stock, with no AA and rudder shift from hell, and a strike IJN CV decides its your time to die.

BUT meeting a USN CV that is going full Fighter Loadout is something you have to get used to, but thats appart from what you described above.

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,412 posts
7,888 battles

Try the US CV and you'll think the IJN ones are better ;)

ATM being 1 cv against 2 when one of the enemy cv is higher tier is fairly hard. It will get changed in the next patch but until then it's an issue all CV captains might have to face.

Personally if going against 2 cv I will avoid sending my planes on long runs, stick to shorter sorties against closer ships.  Means less chance of getting them intercepted.  Using the fleet for AA to keep your planes in works, you have to run away with the bombers a lot but you can whittle down their fighters this way. Your own fighters can lock theirs into a dogfight over friendly AA which helps too.

If you can multitask you can send one bomber squad on way, and another the other so you minimise how many fighters you encounter. You can also sometimes bait their fighters into chasing yours.

I usually will avoid trying for their CV's unless they're in a strike setup since otherwise you're far more likely to encounter their fighters face on.

Beta Tester
142 posts
995 battles

Yes, just grind your teeth, try to do your best and hope for better Mm next time;

If I'm solo against a US Cv, as stated above, I try to go cat and mouse and use my Dive bombers (full strike loadout) as sort of a scout and see were the fighter lurk and always keeping tabs on the map to see if any friendly ship spoted them;

If I'm with another Jap Cv against Muricas, I try to coordinate with him in chat and group up our planes and go all out against a single target.

If paired with a US CV, I let him deal with the pesky mosquitos and, while avoiding them, go ship hunting.

Beta Tester
847 posts

Yes, just grind your teeth, try to do your best and hope for better Mm next time;

If playing a T IV or T V IJN carrier feels like grinding, you are doing it wrong. 

[FIFO]
[FIFO]
Beta Tester
2,451 posts
7,514 battles

Yesterday I was in my Zuiho (tier V) with, I think, a langley on my team and that was mirrored on the other side.  I don't know if the Zuiho was stock, but what I do know is I got 28 plane kills and 15 were fighters.  So, as much as the IJN fighters are generally weaker in an advantageous situation you can do very nicely.  Unfortunately the other carriers got killed before I managed to get my 30 for clear skies...

Beta Tester
218 posts
4,196 battles

well, last 4 games ive been in, ive been under tiered and out matched by yank CV's, seriously WG, get your heads sorted.

I'm refusing to play another game in the CV until the next patch hits, but my guess is that then then i'll be constantly put up against yank CV's still.

Sign in to follow this