You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
Jaeger_Bomb_Meister

Hybrids

10 comments in this topic

Players
377 posts
8,256 battles

ISE-1944-15.jpgBAC_zps11ca3711.png

The retractable flight deck proposal is a modification of a 1942 design by Davis, the BAC ship, seen in the book Hybrid Warships, page 118.

BACtext_zps93d4a44e.jpg
 1_1_24_58_1Hybrydy%20okladka%20kompletna51N71DFXTFL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Edited by Jaeger_Bomb_Meister
  • Cool 2

[HOO]
Beta Tester
684 posts
7,433 battles

Interesting concept. Thanks for sharing.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
11,049 battles

want one want one now take my money wg you have taken it all before so go on give me one please please please

Beta Tester
218 posts
4,081 battles

I would love for this to be in the game, only problem i see is that (to my knowledge) only the japs had plab/build hybrids. so would be one sided, although if they took up a carrier slot in the MM it wouldn't be so bad.

Players
211 posts

Germany had no Carrier since Goering frustrated the attempts to get aircraft and the LW had little use for building ANY aircraft to support the KM in battle. The ended up with a 'hog pog' of seaplanes -some better than others- but never in the numbers needed. In 1937 they trailed landing the 135mph 'Storch' STOL aircraft on the back of a small slow auxiliary in the Baltic.

This 12 m x 25m landing deck was sloped- but 12 out of 13 attempts worked with the plane landing and taking off again with the last one sliding off the deck. The Storch stall speed was about 30 knots, while the Auxiliary top speed was about only16 knots. Further tests were planned with improvements but those were scrubbed in the rush to war.

I some times try to imagine what a Panzerschiffe might have looked like if it had such an STOL landing deck mounted on the rear superstructure deck instead of the Seaplanes which could only operate in good seas anyway. With some extreme design rearrangements a 20 x 40m deck is possible even on a PBS deck, and all these ships could manage nearly 30 knots. Finally by Wartime a scaled up STOL aircraft , the Fi-167 was built in small numbers with similar landing profile to Storch but able to exceed 200mph. This was also a torpedo bomber and could fill any long range scout role and air defence role against FAA Swordfish attacks. With hanger space each raider could carry maybe 3-6 depending on hanger size.

Not exactly a hybrid but it would have been a valuable addition to the fleet helping to better fill the fleet surveillance role.