You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bl4ckh0g

Chibi Battleships-Smaller, Faster and Cuter

31 comments in this topic

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
33 battles

And what is the Deutschland-class if not a Cruiser?

It was as written previously in the thread smaller and with less armor then the Des moines.

And the Dunkerque and other Battlecruisers with lighter armor had the similar armor thickness as Heavy Cruisers like Des moines has (150-200mm over important areas like belt, turrets and such), so if you counter a Battlecruiser you also by definition counter a cruiser with similar speed and similar protection.

To counter a Scharnhorst class you do need a Battleship though due to their thicker armor and to resist their smaller guns.

As I wrote none of the ships are identical in speed/armor/displacement so all of them have pretty different variations already.

The most important definition of a Battlecruiser IMO is that it is a ship with displacements similar to Battleships but with either lacking armor or guns, and higher speed to make up for it, and in this both Dunkerque and Scharnhorst fits pretty well.

Well, most of these ships have a displacement between 30,000-40,000 tons, speed between 33-35 knots(Well Alaska's is 31-33, but I'm taking the 33 as max speed) guns are either 9 x 11-12" or 6 x 15", belt armor is 7-9", while deck is between 3-5"

The Dunkerque has 9" belt, 5" deck with 8 x 13" guns and 31 knot speed

Starsbourg's protection is better with 11" belt with 5,5" decks

Scharnhorst has 13,7" belt and 31 knot speed deck is around 3.6"

Other difference is that nearly, well All of the cruiser killers were designed in the early '40s while the Scharnhorst and Dunkerque was built in the early '30s.

So They are slightly more different.

They are nearly the same as the cruiser killers, It's just really minor differences as I said, mainly in their intended roles.

Like for example the Dunkerque/Strasbourg and Scharnhorst could handle capital ships better, for example a Kongo, or Renown

While the Alaska or 1047 could handle a Baltimore or Mogami better, because they can keep up with them.

I mean this is like preferring ketchup in a hamburger or mayo , like Whatever It's still a hamburger, but like this post is about Hamburgers made with mustard, and You are like asking while I didn't put in hamburgers made with mayo 

So, like Whatever

I put them in

Like, I edit it

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
5,570 battles

Well, most of these ships have a displacement between 30,000-40,000 tons, speed between 33-35 knots(Well Alaska's is 31-33, but I'm taking the 33 as max speed)

Most of them are paper designs though so no one knows how they would come out in the end. Alaska is the only real example to go by on your original list which makes it a bit thin. Perhaps they could be sorted into "Completed ships" and "Design suggestions" to tell them apart?

The 3 real ships that resulted from Battlecruiser design suggestions from 1930 forward was IMO the Alaska, Scharnhorst and Dunqurque classes ( unless you count also modernized WW1 Battleship designs like hood and kongo ).

Other difference is that nearly, well All of the cruiser killers were designed in the early '40s while the Scharnhorst and Dunkerque was built in the early '30s.

So They are slightly more different.

And not all of the paper designs were 33knot or above either.

Kronstadt class 32 knot.

Design 1047 propulsion was not finalized, with 160 instead of 180kshp engine, also around 31-32 knot max speed.

Not all the other designs were that modern either, 1047 had an obsolete armor layout lacking in deck armor and the Soviet plans was also many years if not decades behind any of the real naval powers.

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
33 battles

Most of them are paper designs though so no one knows how they would come out in the end. Alaska is the only real example to go by on your original list which makes it a bit thin. Perhaps they could be sorted into "Completed ships" and "Design suggestions" to tell them apart?

The 3 real ships that resulted from Battlecruiser design suggestions from 1930 forward was IMO the Alaska, Scharnhorst and Dunqurque classes ( unless you count also modernized WW1 Battleship designs like hood and kongo ).

And not all of the paper designs were 33knot or above either.

Kronstadt class 32 knot.

Design 1047 propulsion was not finalized, with 160 instead of 180kshp engine, also around 31-32 knot max speed.

Not all the other designs were that modern either, 1047 had an obsolete armor layout lacking in deck armor and the Soviet plans was also many years if not decades behind any of the real naval powers.

Well, yeah.

They are really similar ships

I just kind of had the impression of the Scharnhorst being bigger and all, and because of that I didn't put the Dunkerque in either.

But They are in now.

So all good now.

Beta Tester
1,198 posts
5,570 battles

I think it's a good and complete list now showing all Battlecruiser designs :)

And I'm sure they would be great fun to play with if they make it into the game, perhaps as an offshoot branch from tier 6-7 Cruisers?

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
33 battles

Most of them probably become part of a battlecruiser tree as tier 7 or tier 6

but ships like the 1047 might become premium or like the Stalingrad(If They even put it in the game)

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
33 battles

I found some other designs which kind of fits this topic

Now, Three of them are heavy cruisers which carry larger caliber guns than normal

First is of Course the Deutschland-class,

deutschland_main_page.jpg

Other one is the P-class

pklassepanzerkreuzer43.png

Third one is a Spanish Cruiser Project 138 (Drawings and such belong to Tzoli(Probably))

7TNhXEV.png

The coming designs are all Italian ones I'll be linking 2 of Tzoli's posts as well, but for more information visit this site

Ansaldo's Project 770

BB%20Ansaldo%20Project%20770.png Design 45367

45367Design3.jpg

45367Design2.jpg

45367design1.jpg

1933 Battlecruiser design

battlecruiser_littorio_style_by_tzoli-d4

1928 Battlecruiser design(because to hell with chronological order)

qG2UPgB.jpg