Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
CactuarLOL

Crew on ships mod?

23 comments in this topic

Players
115 posts
411 battles

I have been playing this game for a little bit now, one of the things that I feel is missing is any crew on the ships.

I have seen youtube videos where the ships are changed into futuristic ships fighting in space and was wondering if there was anything a bit simpler that merely adds crew members onto the ship models. They wouldn't have to be animated or abundant as its not often you pay that much attention to your ship, All I really want is a couple of models standing at the AA guns and at the wheel of smaller ships to make it seem like the ship is actually manned. 

As I said I have seen mods where the ship models have been altered so i'm guessing it wouldn't be too much trouble for a modder to just edit in a couple of standing people models onto the ships.

Is something like this already out there?

Modder, Alpha Tester
1,852 posts
1,102 battles

I have seen youtube videos where the ships are changed into futuristic ships fighting in space

That was an April Fools thing, I don't think such a mod exists yet

Weekend Tester
1,668 posts
33 battles

The ships doesn't have crew because the WG universe is set in an alternate reality where the second world war not ended in 1945, instead It raged until the late 1960's. 

In the process Humanity was wiped out by the thousands upon thousand nuclear weapons used in the war.

As the whole race died out, the ghosts of the dead soldiers could not find rest and raised their long forgotten weapons of old and 'till to this day They wage their eternal war on this barren World.

Also, this is for the Mess or Fan section, not the GD. but I'm sure Vuk will move it.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

Crew on ships, like crew in open topped tanks in WoT, would make WoWs fall in a higher parental guidance category so WG will never do that. I don't think there will be mods either, since if there was a market it would have been done already for WoT with the open topped td's for instance. 

Players
115 posts
411 battles

Crew on ships, like crew in open topped tanks in WoT, would make WoWs fall in a higher parental guidance category so WG will never do that. I don't think there will be mods either, since if there was a market it would have been done already for WoT with the open topped td's for instance. 

Mods to games dont change parental guidance of anything, they aren't made by the developers of the game and aren't "official" so I don't know where you get this information.

Aside from that, having static models of players would not effect the rating of the game, unless it shows people dying or gore etc. I don't know of any countries that have a rating system that would change by having the kind of models I am talking about, certainly not anywhere in europe or the US, if you know of any then feel free to link to their rating guidelines.

Players
115 posts
411 battles

I realise I didn't provide much information there and may have been a bit blunt, But I have seen that argument many times on forums while searching for information about a crew mod, many people put the argument forward but have failed to actually look into whether it is even true.

From what I gather World of Warships is currently unrated by both the ESRB (US) and PEGI (EU), you can look up any games official rating on their websites. (http://www.pegi.info / http://www.esrb.org)

The other game you mentioned (World of Tanks) has the following ratings;

ESRB - Rating: T

"Games with this rating contain content which the board believes is suitable for those aged 13 years and older; they can contain moderate amounts of violence (including small amounts of blood), mild to moderate use of strong language or suggestive themes, and crude humor"

PEGI- Rating: 7

"The content of this game is suitable for persons aged 7 years and over only.

It contains: Violence that is not shown but is implied

This game allows the player to interact with other players ONLINE"

Neither of those ratings (If the same rating applies to World of Warships once it is rated) would prevent the game from having a static model of men at different stations.

Anyway this argument is made redundant by the fact I was asking for information about a mod and not making a request to the developers.

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

Mods to games dont change parental guidance of anything, they aren't made by the developers of the game and aren't "official" so I don't know where you get this information.

Aside from that, having static models of players would not effect the rating of the game, unless it shows people dying or gore etc. I don't know of any countries that have a rating system that would change by having the kind of models I am talking about, certainly not anywhere in europe or the US, if you know of any then feel free to link to their rating guidelines.

I never said a mod would change it, I said WG would never implement it. Having people displayed and not 'see them dying'? What happens when the tank/ship is destroyed? A-Team style with all crew jumping off before it explodes? That also answers your question about the rating systems. 

Beta Tester
659 posts

I wouldn't mind crew in terms of having a Chief Gunnery Officer, Chief Engineer and so on, in a similar way that WoT has a tank crew.

As for little men sprites manning the AA, although it might add, it's not necessarily beneficial.

:honoring:

Players
115 posts
411 battles

I never said a mod would change it, I said WG would never implement it. Having people displayed and not 'see them dying'? What happens when the tank/ship is destroyed? A-Team style with all crew jumping off before it explodes? That also answers your question about the rating systems. 

Again, I didn't mention anything about WG implementing it, I also didn't mention anything about people being shown as dying, I'm talking about a mod that adds crew models to the ship. Never did I mention anything about death animations, in fact if you actually read my posts you would have been able to see I specifically mentioned them not needing to be animated. 

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

Again, I didn't mention anything about WG implementing it, I also didn't mention anything about people being shown as dying, I'm talking about a mod that adds crew models to the ship. Never did I mention anything about death animations, in fact if you actually read my posts you would have been able to see I specifically mentioned them not needing to be animated. 

You can mod the texture quite easily but that would mean you get a 3d model with crew painted on it ( which would look horrible I would guess depending on the angle ), modding the ship mesh and texture, I haven't seen anyone do it as it would require a lot of work. Which is why I said I don't think it will ever see the light of day. WG won't do it for reasons stated before, and for a modder the amount of work involved isn't worth the investment given the to my knowledge extremely low demand from the playerbase. I could be wrong about the last one though, who knows :unsure:

edit: mesh = wireframe model, over which the texture is applied to render the 3d model

Edited by mtm78

Weekend Tester
375 posts
32,724 battles

Just nitpicking, but there were several crew mods for WoT at one time with crews for the Hellcat and other open topped td's plus a couple of tanks with commanders visible ( might still have the skins around on one of my H/d's) :)

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

Just nitpicking, but there were several crew mods for WoT at one time with crews for the Hellcat and other open topped td's plus a couple of tanks with commanders visible ( might still have the skins around on one of my H/d's) :)

That's not nitpicking, it's news to me. I never seen anything of it, no pics and no YT content. Which is why I stated to expect there to be a very low demand for such a mod. If it existed though, it indicates someone felt the demand was high enough for the effort involved. It is kind of telling that you say it was at one time available, since it indicates the mod authors didn't keep it updated.

Still, should give some hope to topic starter :honoring:

Weekend Tester
375 posts
32,724 battles

These crew mods were quite popular when first introduced - however this was before WoT started changing the Tank models to HD.

WoT were very slow back then in introducing the new HD models (2 or 3 per patch!) so I imagine that the modders decided to wait until after the swap was completed and of course we still don't have all tanks in HD - although I did find a Hellcat HD skin with crew :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
1,739 posts
1,782 battles

Just me thinking, aloud, but I would guess, adding crew to these quite complex ship models could be rather huge shitpile of work, or am I wrong there? Modders will have a tough time doing that.

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,431 battles

That's not nitpicking, it's news to me. I never seen anything of it, no pics and no YT content. Which is why I stated to expect there to be a very low demand for such a mod. If it existed though, it indicates someone felt the demand was high enough for the effort involved. It is kind of telling that you say it was at one time available, since it indicates the mod authors didn't keep it updated.

1652055.jpg

shot_1084.jpg

cromwell.jpg

The crew can not be animated, but it would still be nice to see the AA guns actually manned even if it's just by dummies. 

Beta Tester
2,287 posts
11,047 battles

I'm against that, I like my ships the way they are right now, adding visible and animated crew to it would not only require much stronger PC, would be a tough job because they will have to make it for every ship specially, but would also be really stupid to see because when someone spams you with HE (very very often) and your whole ships is burnt, shouldn't all the crewmen (at least the visible ones) be dead?

And I really don't see the point of driving 500+ scorched bodies on my ship while I'm playing

Alpha Tester
19,378 posts
6,105 battles

1652055.jpg

shot_1084.jpg

cromwell.jpg

The crew can not be animated, but it would still be nice to see the AA guns actually manned even if it's just by dummies. 

That looks like a fully edited 3d model and not just a texture with 'painted' crew. It actually looks really good I must say. Strange I haven't seen them on any popular YT/Twitch content/streams.

I'm against that, I like my ships the way they are right now, adding visible and animated crew to it would not only require much stronger PC, would be a tough job because they will have to make it for every ship specially, but would also be really stupid to see because when someone spams you with HE (very very often) and your whole ships is burnt, shouldn't all the crewmen (at least the visible ones) be dead?

And I really don't see the point of driving 500+ scorched bodies on my ship while I'm playing

About requiring a beefy pc, well that is why I said WG would not do it as it would increase minimum system requirements ( well they could just choose to add it as an extra level on top of current max settings or something ). And the same goes for the dmg textures ( ships have fixed damage textures to indicate modules or parts of the ship which have taken heavy damage ), they would not be added by WG I reckon because it would increase parental rating classification. For the bodies, well I think that's personal preference, I too wouldn't want it ( my 8y old son sometimes watches me play and he even played some pve battles before ). 

Beta Tester
990 posts
3,431 battles

That looks like a fully edited 3d model and not just a texture with 'painted' crew. It actually looks really good I must say. Strange I haven't seen them on any popular YT/Twitch content/streams.

Oh right, sorry if that wasn't clear: they are indeed new 3d models and not textures. 

Players
36 posts
20,622 battles

Now we are in 2018 ,   I hope WG will reconsidér thé idea of having créw on ships. It would be great to have a few créw membres on bord  , éven if inactive .  I wish I could see 3 or 4 guys Manning a  twin 40mm  bofor  gun !

Beta Tester
2,875 posts
7,295 battles

Well we did have a crew member on a ship in port, but he got fired, burned the kitchen down. :Smile_veryhappy:

Edit: Personally as mutch as i think it would be theatrical to see crewmembers being blown off into the sea i do agree that it's better not to have them.

Edited by Major_Damage225

[HOO]
Players
2,192 posts

No thanks, we have enough problems with game stuttering on even very good graphics cards and fast PC's I've no desire for extra graphics clutter.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
On 7/9/2015 at 8:50 PM, CactuarLOL said:

I have seen youtube videos where the ships are changed into futuristic ships fighting in space and was wondering if there was anything a bit simpler that merely adds crew members onto the ship models.

Unfortunately, this is by no means "simpler". You see, while there are many ship skins (that just re-paint the ship, basically, maybe add some lighting effects) created by modders, they are nothing like actually adding crew, even completely immobile, to the actual 3D models.

And while perhaps there might be some "spaceship" mod, such a thing almost certainly means that the modder took available assets from old client (April Fool's version a couple years ago) and created a mod that includes them in the current game, substituting models of some ships with models of these event ships back then. What you'd want is a mod that requires creation of new ship models - and that's far beyond the scope of any WoWs mods I've seen/read about.

Sign in to follow this