Brynd

Enabling Replays in World of Warships

44 posts in this topic

Captains! :great:

Looking to record your best moments on the oceans and revisit them later? Here's an interesting trick! While we do not have a replay function implemented in the in-game interface, it is already accessible – it just needs a bit of extra work.

DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. BACKUP THE INVOLVED FILE!

How to enable and use Replays!

To turn the replays ON, you have to:

1. Close the game client.

2. BACKUP preferences.xml file found in the game folder.

3. Open the original preferences.xml for editing

4. Find the line that says:

</scriptsPreferences>

5. Paste these lines before </scriptsPreferences>

​         <isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

<ReplayCameraUpdate> 30 </ReplayCameraUpdate>

6. This is what the result should look like:

<isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

</scriptsPreferences>

7. Save the game file and launch the client

8. Enjoy the game!

To run the replay:

1. Find replay in the \replays folder inside the game folder
  2. Close the game client
  3. After closing the game, drag and drop *.wowreplay file on the icon of WorldOfWarships.exe Note: You have to be using the same version of the game. Replays will not work with different version of game than was used to record them.

Replay controls:

'Insert' & 'Delete' for playing speed control
 'End' for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed)
 'Home' for normal speed
 'LMB' for toggling camera direction between free & recorded
 '>' & '<' for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with 'Ctrl')

We would appreciate your feedback, both on the replays and their use and on the Free Camera mode – the good and the bad. Looking forward to your videos!

8 people like this

Or download Aslans mode collection, tick the appropriate box and have it done for you.......just saying :B 

3 people like this

This doesn't work. I tried it twice, but when I open WoWs, it seems to reset my preferences.xml file back to its original state.

Any suggestions?

Or download Aslans mode collection, tick the appropriate box and have it done for you.......just saying :B 

Aslains mod installer is currently bugged, replay function doesn't work when applying with the installer.

This doesn't work. I tried it twice, but when I open WoWs, it seems to reset my preferences.xml file back to its original state.

Any suggestions?

You corrupted the file, which is why WoWs resets all preferences. Use a decent editor, I recommend Notepad++.

You corrupted the file, which is why WoWs resets all preferences. Use a decent editor, I recommend Notepad++.

You misunderstood, its not resetting all my preferences, it is simply removing that piece of code. I am editing the xml file with Notepad++ so the issue is not with that. I have confirmed the changes are saved, but as soon as I open WoWs, its as if WoWs is detecting something it does not like, and either removing the code or copying a "most recent working version" over the one I've changed.

You misunderstood, its not resetting all my preferences, it is simply removing that piece of code. I am editing the xml file with Notepad++ so the issue is not with that. I have confirmed the changes are saved, but as soon as I open WoWs, its as if WoWs is detecting something it does not like, and either removing the code or copying a "most recent working version" over the one I've changed.

The game only does that when it detects a malformed file, you might have missed a bracket somewhere? I had this as well but it was because I constantly forgot a closing bracket after manually editing configuration options. 

edit: 

Also forgot, there was a keybinding I was trying to manually force through the preferences file but it wasn't saved and the game reset them all to stock each time I tried. So again, I think you still missed something in editing the file and thus corrupted the xml structure.

I edit it manually and my edit is still in there, many many patches later.

Edited by mtm78

Hello MechBuster, I can assure you that no update will change your preference file. I have not changed mine for many updates and the code stays where it should. There has to be another issue causing your problem, any mods installed that may aid in causing this?

The game only does that when it detects a malformed file, you might have missed a bracket somewhere? I had this as well but it was because I constantly forgot a closing bracket after manually editing configuration options. 

Well, I can't explain it, but when I tried again just now, this time it worked :)

So thanks guys for the assistance. Maybe it was a stray carrage return or a tab out of place. I'm pretty sure the tags were correct last time and were both closed, but anyway, it works now :great:

Okay, the Freecam is already really awesome ( Compared to how it was a pain to do in WoT )

I didn't used it for long but here are my first thoughts on how to " easily " ( No that should be actually really easy unless your engine is a mess to work with ) improve it to match 3D software level of filming possibilities ( Minus the key animation of course, but allowing this in free hand should be well enough to do great things ) :

- Rotate the camera on itself on Left/Right axis ( Let's say with 4 and 6 on the numpad so all camera movements can be centralized )

- Lock camera with boat movement while allowing camera movements itself. So you can have a decentralized camera naturally flowing with the ship ( Some kind of a mix between FreeCam and Cam centered on ship )

- Sliders ( Or at least hotkeys ) to change translate/rotate speed and others parameters at the fly ( I didn't try it yet but I guess you can modify how the Free Camera behaves in the camerasConfig file ? But having to change the file and reload replay each time you want to do a new shot would be a pain and totally counterproductive, despite being better than nothing )

All in all, the actual Freecam is really good and sufficient for any basic game demonstration. But adding those options should give it invaluable power for more cinematic driven productions.

I have an animated video in mind but I will have to wait for the T10 to realize it ( Which means a LOT of time with me ) but be sure I will share it here when it's done.

EDIT : Regarding the replays, I have nothing to say. It works very well and have all the options it needs to offer. Maybe a better rewinding process where you can control the speed of the rewind instead of jumping back, but maybe it's an engine constraint, and we can just achieve this type of effect in an editing software so that's not essential.

Edited by Slump

Is there any way to edit a replay. For example I wish to send a bug report with a snippet of visual evidence so I would want to cut the replay down to the important bit. Is this possible or would I have to rely upon Bandicam or Fraps.

Is there any way to edit a replay. For example I wish to send a bug report with a snippet of visual evidence so I would want to cut the replay down to the important bit. Is this possible or would I have to rely upon Bandicam or Fraps.

Replay system doesn't support making clips from a replay, 3rd party recording software is the only way.

Is this guide for enabling replays still valid? When I tried it in 4.0.5 and 6, all I got is no replays at all, and preferences.xml is being automaticaly cleaned up from all my changes.

Is this guide for enabling replays still valid? When I tried it in 4.0.5 and 6, all I got is no replays at all, and preferences.xml is being automaticaly cleaned up from all my changes.

Like I said in your thread I made the changes manually a long time back and they are still there, and I still got replays ( just checked to make sure, but I have my replays from yesterday ).

Are you sure your installer is doing the changes correctly?

Like I said in your thread I made the changes manually a long time back and they are still there, and I still got replays ( just checked to make sure, but I have my replays from yesterday ).

Are you sure your installer is doing the changes correctly?

I dont talk about installer, I did changes manualy, and they are always gone after 1 battle...

I dont talk about installer, I did changes manualy, and they are always gone after 1 battle...

I can send you my preferences.xml and if the clients reverts that back to normal there is an isue, if not you didn't do the changes right? Can you post yours?

edit: deleted my attached preferences.xml, sorry it contains my login token so I can't post that unless I want my account hijacked. edit2: attached sanctified file without login details

preferences.xml

You have to get the formatting right, even the white space has to be correct.

Use an Editor that can show white space and/or remove everything in front of those 2 lines and add 2 (two) tabs in front of each. That did it for me. Anything else and the game would overwrite the file.

Hey Brynd,

I just noticed a little mistake in your code.. take a look:

If you enter this to an editor like notepad++ you will see, there are 2 tabs before the 2nd line which is just fine.

But in the first line you have 2 tabs plus a blank, which seems to result in the true-statement for <isreplayenabled> not getting recognized.

So you just have to delete one blank before <isReplayEnabled> true </isReplayEnabled>

Maybe you can edit your main post since it is getting referenced pretty often and I think a lot of people are just going to copy/paste your solution  (which then sadly won't work).

Another edit:

Found the reason why copy/paste does not work, even though you probably have it right in you .xml. The block quote in this forum seems to add a blank to that line. Deleted it manually. The following should work, though I propose you to still check it in notepad++ for the correct formatting.

kind regards,

oida

Edited by oida

Enabling the replays works without any problem(s).

I normally don't use/store replays, but since the release of World of Warships, i noticed a rather big increase in bad behaviour in the game, therefore storing the replay(s) can be rather useful.

Small question about the code.

What function does the value 30 have in the last line of that code?

:honoring:

Captains! :great:

Looking to record your best moments on the oceans and revisit them later? Here's an interesting trick! While we do not have a replay function implemented in the in-game interface, it is already accessible – it just needs a bit of extra work.

DISCLAIMER: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. BACKUP THE INVOLVED FILE!

How to enable and use Replays!

To turn the replays ON, you have to:

1. Close the game client.

2. BACKUP preferences.xml file found in the game folder.

3. Open the original preferences.xml for editing

4. Scroll it till the last lines:

</scriptsPreferences>

</root>

or

</scriptsPreferences>

<consoleHistory />

</root>

6. This is how the result should look like:

</scriptsPreferences>

</root>

or

Block Quote

</scriptsPreferences>

<consoleHistory />

</root>

7. Save the game file and launch the client

8. Enjoy the game!

To run the replay:

1. Find replay in the \replays folder inside the game folder
  2. Close the game client
  3. After closing the game, drag and drop *.wowreplay file on the icon of WorldOfWarships.exe Note: You have to be using the same version of the game. Replays will not work with different version of game than was used to record them.

Replay controls:

PageUp & PageDown for playing speed control

Home for normal speed

End for pause (which is actually x100 slower speed)

LMB for toggling camera direction between free & recorded

> & < for fast-forward & rewind (can be used together with Ctrl)

Ctrl+G to hide the user interface

Ctrl+Shift+Backspace to enable a „Free Camera Mode“

We would appreciate your feedback, both on the replays and their use and on the Free Camera mode – the good and the bad. Looking forward to your videos!

Just to add:

When in Free Camera Mode

- Cursor keys to move the camera horizontally

- Keypad 7/9 - to move the camera up/down

Center ship on screen and press B to follow that ship (you are not selecting it, just following it.)

Instead of cursor keys, you can also use shift+(numpad 2,4,6,8) it may be easier this way to use numpad 7/9 (up/down)

You can tell by the quality of this free cam that the founders have a video production background. Really nice work with that camera.

Edited by MS_Surface

I just used it and I am using 0.5.2.4 if it keeps getting cleaned up then save your amended profile under a different name and then as long as you have the origanal Preferences file backed up, delete the cleaned up one, copy and paste your amended file and rename it Preferences.xml

I just used it and I am using 0.5.2.4 if it keeps getting cleaned up then save your amended profile under a different name and then as long as you have the origanal Preferences file backed up, delete the cleaned up one, copy and paste your amended file and rename it Preferences.xml

I would say it's always better to change the new preferences.xml than replacing it with the old one.

I updated the Free Cam keys

I've enabled replays but when I try to play them I get the log in screen. When I click log in I just get a loading screen forever.

The replays are a bit old but only december/january, any ideas?

sptwo1e.jpg

I've enabled replays but when I try to play them I get the log in screen. When I click log in I just get a loading screen forever.

The replays are a bit old but only december/january, any ideas?

December replays from before christmas need 0.5.1.3/4 client.

0.5.1-0.5.1.2 clients might open them but shell/trajectory effects would be missing.

0.5.2 released around christmas is incompatible with earlier replays and its replays incompatible with earlier client.

Its replay compatibility continued to 0.5.2.2 client.

(with 0.5.2.3 breaking compatibility in end of January)