Sharana

Matchmaker

134 comments in this topic

[POP] Altsak
258 posts
6,700 battles

I've been leveling a new sealclub... ehm, account in the past few days and noticed a huge experience disparity between the protected MM and the true PvP MM.

While you're new, you get to stay in a protected MM among your peers who have just started the game and have no experience. If the MM can't find a real person for all of the 24 spots it will fill the remaining slots with bots. Sometimes there might be as many as 10 bots in a team. Now that's all fine, however the recent changes to bot behaviour has made the bots highly annoying even for an experienced player. Sometime it feels a welcome relief when the MM decides to let you wander off to the "evil" world and lift off your protected MM and let you enjoy the game with 23 other real newbies/potatos.

Surely this isn't what's been after with the protected MM? If skirmishing bots isn't fun for an experienced player how can it be fun for a new player? Please don't make new players annoyed and push them away from the game instead of letting them gradually intorduce themselves to the game like it probably was originally intended. @MrConway

• Cool 1

4 posts
882 battles

I've been playing this game up to tier 6 now and I have to say matchmaking seems completely broken. I don't see why a tier 6 should see up to tier 8, the difference is very noticable. Worst of all, if you play in division with 1 tier lower, the MM does not account for that and take the tier 5 with you against 8's.

If you want to play in a division and someone is a tier lower, you always get punished: Either the lower tier is uppaired all the time, or you have to select an even tiered ship, which completely halts your leveling process to get to higher tier ships. Aren't there yet enough players in the game to prevent all this uneven gameplay? This way of matchmaking really punishes the lower tiered newer players and is highly frustrating. Not only are all the higher tier people more experienced and (usually) better players, they also get to have better ships in a lot of the games. At this time, it seems only tier 1 and tier 10 have reliable matchmaking.

If there was a way to have 'fixed' matchmaking getting even tiered ships, I would choose it everytime. Even getting downpaired a lot would not be my preference. It would greatly help newer players learn the game and not get destroyed in a single salvo by a higher tier ship. (or shooting for ages at a higher tier ship and doing barely any damage)

As a side note, CV play is extremely boring at lower levels. There is almost no play to it, you just click the boat and there is no aiming involved. You cannot not even reliably choose the angle of attack, it always wants to torp from the side. (which is sometimes impossible with faster ships)

• Cool 1

[W-C] domen3
Players, In AlfaTesters
2,143 posts
5,547 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainKleezs said:

I've been playing this game up to tier 6 now and I have to say matchmaking seems completely broken. I don't see why a tier 6 should see up to tier 8, the difference is very noticable. Worst of all, if you play in division with 1 tier lower, the MM does not account for that and take the tier 5 with you against 8's.

If you want to play in a division and someone is a tier lower, you always get punished: Either the lower tier is uppaired all the time, or you have to select an even tiered ship, which completely halts your leveling process to get to higher tier ships. Aren't there yet enough players in the game to prevent all this uneven gameplay? This way of matchmaking really punishes the lower tiered newer players and is highly frustrating. Not only are all the higher tier people more experienced and (usually) better players, they also get to have better ships in a lot of the games. At this time, it seems only tier 1 and tier 10 have reliable matchmaking.

If there was a way to have 'fixed' matchmaking getting even tiered ships, I would choose it everytime. Even getting downpaired a lot would not be my preference. It would greatly help newer players learn the game and not get destroyed in a single salvo by a higher tier ship. (or shooting for ages at a higher tier ship and doing barely any damage)

As a side note, CV play is extremely boring at lower levels. There is almost no play to it, you just click the boat and there is no aiming involved. You cannot not even reliably choose the angle of attack, it always wants to torp from the side. (which is sometimes impossible with faster ships)

Well it's not broken. 2 tier difference adds variety and challenge. As for fail divisions, it's obvious that MM would take the higher tier as a base, otherwise people would constantly abuse it to always be top tier. You could always just play the same tier you know.

It would be quite boring if there was no tier difference....no challenge because you wouldn't be bottom tier, and no reward when you were supposed to be top tier.

Yes, CVs are being worked on by WG.....wait a while

4 posts
882 battles

There is a sliding scale between variety and challenge and straight up non-games. I am not saying a very experienced, strong player can't make up for the difference. I am stating that for someone relatively new, this MM is exceptionally harsh. If you learn boxing, you don't start by getting knocked out by mike tyson on the first day of training. You slowly work you way up, learning the basics and gradually learn more to improve. It really feels like you hit a wall as soon as you go tier V and up. The players truly are way better in higher tiers, I just think it's a little much to also allow them to have better ships.

It would be quite boring if there was no tier difference....no challenge because you wouldn't be bottom tier, and no reward when you were supposed to be top tier.

I don't think the reward for playing should be bashing lower tier players, the reward should be an exciting, fun game. If playing the game isn't fun, the newer players will simply stop playing at all.

[CATS] ColonelPete
12,574 posts
10,008 battles

You said the right word: SLOWLY.

That is what Tier I to IV are for. If you do not feel comfortable with +2/-2 MM, stay at that Tiers and try Tier V from time to time.

[WG-EU] MrConway
1,712 posts
2,098 battles
On 5/25/2018 at 6:43 AM, Altsak said:

I've been leveling a new sealclub... ehm, account in the past few days and noticed a huge experience disparity between the protected MM and the true PvP MM.

While you're new, you get to stay in a protected MM among your peers who have just started the game and have no experience. If the MM can't find a real person for all of the 24 spots it will fill the remaining slots with bots. Sometimes there might be as many as 10 bots in a team. Now that's all fine, however the recent changes to bot behaviour has made the bots highly annoying even for an experienced player. Sometime it feels a welcome relief when the MM decides to let you wander off to the "evil" world and lift off your protected MM and let you enjoy the game with 23 other real newbies/potatos.

Surely this isn't what's been after with the protected MM? If skirmishing bots isn't fun for an experienced player how can it be fun for a new player? Please don't make new players annoyed and push them away from the game instead of letting them gradually intorduce themselves to the game like it probably was originally intended. @MrConway

This might be worth looking in to, thanks!

[INTRO] AmiralPotato
119 posts
3,325 battles
On 6/3/2018 at 4:50 AM, CaptainKleezs said:

If I recall correctly, you can actually choose the angle by clicking on the circle around the target.

The interface does a great job at hiding this, I learned it by chance on the forum :D

4 posts
882 battles
7 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

If I recall correctly, you can actually choose the angle by clicking on the circle around the target.

The interface does a great job at hiding this, I learned it by chance on the forum :D

Great, Ill try that out!

[PLOPP] KnochenJagd
1 post

Well with the way it is...I can forget half the parets on süecial missions...just because the game fills a slot and I am usually lowest animal in the cage....wont be recommending this game to people for sure