Server Downtime 21/02 04:00 UTC Read more... ×
Sharana

Matchmaker

159 comments in this topic

[POP]
Players
330 posts
7,873 battles

I've been leveling a new sealclub... ehm, account in the past few days and noticed a huge experience disparity between the protected MM and the true PvP MM.

While you're new, you get to stay in a protected MM among your peers who have just started the game and have no experience. If the MM can't find a real person for all of the 24 spots it will fill the remaining slots with bots. Sometimes there might be as many as 10 bots in a team. Now that's all fine, however the recent changes to bot behaviour has made the bots highly annoying even for an experienced player. Sometime it feels a welcome relief when the MM decides to let you wander off to the "evil" world and lift off your protected MM and let you enjoy the game with 23 other real newbies/potatos.

Surely this isn't what's been after with the protected MM? If skirmishing bots isn't fun for an experienced player how can it be fun for a new player? Please don't make new players annoyed and push them away from the game instead of letting them gradually intorduce themselves to the game like it probably was originally intended. @MrConway

• Cool 1

Players
4 posts
882 battles

I've been playing this game up to tier 6 now and I have to say matchmaking seems completely broken. I don't see why a tier 6 should see up to tier 8, the difference is very noticable. Worst of all, if you play in division with 1 tier lower, the MM does not account for that and take the tier 5 with you against 8's.

If you want to play in a division and someone is a tier lower, you always get punished: Either the lower tier is uppaired all the time, or you have to select an even tiered ship, which completely halts your leveling process to get to higher tier ships. Aren't there yet enough players in the game to prevent all this uneven gameplay? This way of matchmaking really punishes the lower tiered newer players and is highly frustrating. Not only are all the higher tier people more experienced and (usually) better players, they also get to have better ships in a lot of the games. At this time, it seems only tier 1 and tier 10 have reliable matchmaking.

If there was a way to have 'fixed' matchmaking getting even tiered ships, I would choose it everytime. Even getting downpaired a lot would not be my preference. It would greatly help newer players learn the game and not get destroyed in a single salvo by a higher tier ship. (or shooting for ages at a higher tier ship and doing barely any damage)

As a side note, CV play is extremely boring at lower levels. There is almost no play to it, you just click the boat and there is no aiming involved. You cannot not even reliably choose the angle of attack, it always wants to torp from the side. (which is sometimes impossible with faster ships)

• Cool 1

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,399 posts
6,354 battles
4 hours ago, CaptainKleezs said:

I've been playing this game up to tier 6 now and I have to say matchmaking seems completely broken. I don't see why a tier 6 should see up to tier 8, the difference is very noticable. Worst of all, if you play in division with 1 tier lower, the MM does not account for that and take the tier 5 with you against 8's.

If you want to play in a division and someone is a tier lower, you always get punished: Either the lower tier is uppaired all the time, or you have to select an even tiered ship, which completely halts your leveling process to get to higher tier ships. Aren't there yet enough players in the game to prevent all this uneven gameplay? This way of matchmaking really punishes the lower tiered newer players and is highly frustrating. Not only are all the higher tier people more experienced and (usually) better players, they also get to have better ships in a lot of the games. At this time, it seems only tier 1 and tier 10 have reliable matchmaking.

If there was a way to have 'fixed' matchmaking getting even tiered ships, I would choose it everytime. Even getting downpaired a lot would not be my preference. It would greatly help newer players learn the game and not get destroyed in a single salvo by a higher tier ship. (or shooting for ages at a higher tier ship and doing barely any damage)

As a side note, CV play is extremely boring at lower levels. There is almost no play to it, you just click the boat and there is no aiming involved. You cannot not even reliably choose the angle of attack, it always wants to torp from the side. (which is sometimes impossible with faster ships)

Well it's not broken. 2 tier difference adds variety and challenge. As for fail divisions, it's obvious that MM would take the higher tier as a base, otherwise people would constantly abuse it to always be top tier. You could always just play the same tier you know.

It would be quite boring if there was no tier difference....no challenge because you wouldn't be bottom tier, and no reward when you were supposed to be top tier.

Yes, CVs are being worked on by WG.....wait a while

Players
4 posts
882 battles

There is a sliding scale between variety and challenge and straight up non-games. I am not saying a very experienced, strong player can't make up for the difference. I am stating that for someone relatively new, this MM is exceptionally harsh. If you learn boxing, you don't start by getting knocked out by mike tyson on the first day of training. You slowly work you way up, learning the basics and gradually learn more to improve. It really feels like you hit a wall as soon as you go tier V and up. The players truly are way better in higher tiers, I just think it's a little much to also allow them to have better ships.

It would be quite boring if there was no tier difference....no challenge because you wouldn't be bottom tier, and no reward when you were supposed to be top tier.

I don't think the reward for playing should be bashing lower tier players, the reward should be an exciting, fun game. If playing the game isn't fun, the newer players will simply stop playing at all.

[CATS]
Players
15,334 posts
11,028 battles

You said the right word: SLOWLY.

That is what Tier I to IV are for. If you do not feel comfortable with +2/-2 MM, stay at that Tiers and try Tier V from time to time.

[WG-EU]
WG Staff
2,415 posts
2,325 battles
On 5/25/2018 at 6:43 AM, Altsak said:

I've been leveling a new sealclub... ehm, account in the past few days and noticed a huge experience disparity between the protected MM and the true PvP MM.

While you're new, you get to stay in a protected MM among your peers who have just started the game and have no experience. If the MM can't find a real person for all of the 24 spots it will fill the remaining slots with bots. Sometimes there might be as many as 10 bots in a team. Now that's all fine, however the recent changes to bot behaviour has made the bots highly annoying even for an experienced player. Sometime it feels a welcome relief when the MM decides to let you wander off to the "evil" world and lift off your protected MM and let you enjoy the game with 23 other real newbies/potatos.

Surely this isn't what's been after with the protected MM? If skirmishing bots isn't fun for an experienced player how can it be fun for a new player? Please don't make new players annoyed and push them away from the game instead of letting them gradually intorduce themselves to the game like it probably was originally intended. @MrConway

This might be worth looking in to, thanks!

[WTFNO]
Players
228 posts
4,904 battles
On 6/3/2018 at 4:50 AM, CaptainKleezs said:

If I recall correctly, you can actually choose the angle by clicking on the circle around the target.

The interface does a great job at hiding this, I learned it by chance on the forum :D

Players
4 posts
882 battles
7 hours ago, AmiralPotato said:

If I recall correctly, you can actually choose the angle by clicking on the circle around the target.

The interface does a great job at hiding this, I learned it by chance on the forum :D

Great, Ill try that out!

[PLOPP]
Players
1 post

Well with the way it is...I can forget half the parets on süecial missions...just because the game fills a slot and I am usually lowest animal in the cage....wont be recommending this game to people for sure

[BNI]
Beta Tester
256 posts
12,758 battles

The rules of Match Making are very simple, and never changed.

Tier 1-4 means a +1 or a -1 on the Tier you fight against.

Tier 5-10 means a +2 or a -2 on the Tier you fight against.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
8 hours ago, Dirty_Dunc said:

I couldn't give a shite about tier 8 ships in tier 10 games ... what bothers me are the dribbling fuckards who sail them and haven't a clue how the [edited]game works

Kind of ironic coming from someone hiding his stats... Worthless potato being upset that good players don't carry him every game, aye? :cap_popcorn:

Players
47 posts
11,097 battles

the last 3 days have been horrible. about 10 games in a row (each day), my team got completely wiped out. i quit playing for the day and hoped for next day. but the same crap happend again. today 2x halloween => team completely wiped out. 2x random => team completly wiped out. i guess its a malefunction or pure intention of WG to make non paying players to buy some stuff. i dont know. what i know is, that this is no fun. its a pure waste of time.

Players
362 posts

When the issue of tier 8 ships participate 9/10 battles of theirs against tier 10 ones , will be fixed. I forced my self to buy (after sellings almost all mt tier 8 ships) Monarch to proceed to Lion and in every battle 2-4 tier 8 ships are among  20-22 tier 10 ones. I have posted numerus screenshots but none gives a damm. What joy of battle a player playing a tier 8 ship against tier 10 ones can have. It a game ans joy must be no1 priority.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
6 hours ago, Anthoniusii said:

When the issue of tier 8 ships participate 9/10 battles of theirs against tier 10 ones , will be fixed.

Better question is - when will you start reading patch notes?

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
3 hours ago, XxX_9_1_1 said:

I destroy 2-4 ships per battle and being leader in the end. I got 25% win ratio. This needs to be fixed asap.

Your "games played" sample size is so small a single battle can change your WR by about 1.6%. You can't tell anything by looking at it

And no, you have 51% WR not 25%

And before you start about it - MM has no skill factor in it, all it balances is ships between both teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

Also your high survival ratio while playing BBs shows that you are staying way too far back, letting your team to die while providing 0 support to them, then finishing off a few already wounded ships before the game ends. That's not carrying, that's you abusing the defeat situation you yourself created.

Look for some guides on YT / watch some Twitch streams to get a better idea how to play.

[UNICS]
Players
61 posts
17,235 battles
Vor 13 Minuten, wilkatis_LV sagte:

it balances is ships between both teams. Nothing more, nothing less.

je balances like 4 radars vs 1. or 2 times atlanta + saipan against other cv and no AA.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
3 minutes ago, 000_LULU_000 said:

je balances like 4 radars vs 1. or 2 times atlanta + saipan against other cv and no AA.

Ok, let me be even more specific:

It balances ship types and tiers.

Some t9 CAs carry radar, some don't. They all can be matched against each other. Some t10 BBs have AA, some don't. They all can be matched against each other. Some t8 DDs have good cap contesting ability, some don't. They all can be matched against each other.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
11 minutes ago, 000_LULU_000 said:

just pointed out there are still some features not taken into account.

I said it balances ships. Not ships & their consumables. So that was completely redundant

[UNICS]
Players
61 posts
17,235 battles

ok i give up :Smile_playing:

i must think a bit more before answer posts.

but then again to get the point for the average joe it might be good to be a litte more precise. and if it balances ships and for me consumables are "part"of the ship. there should be also some balance of their consumables inclueded.

[ADRIA]
Players
4,567 posts
6,874 battles
9 minutes ago, 000_LULU_000 said:

there should be also some balance of their consumables inclueded.

That is included in individual ships balancing itself. You get something, you have to pay with something else for it.

Would I like to see radars balanced better between both teams? Yeah. Is it really needed? Not not quite

[IRON7]
Players
600 posts
445 battles

(according to WG) the Matchmaker is 'working as intended', therefore, it is 'fixed', has been 'fixed', is continuing to be 'fixed' and will always be 'fixed'. Clear enough now?