Sharana

Matchmaker

104 posts in this topic

Greetings Captains,

there are a lot of questions about the Matchmaker (MM) and many of the new captains are surprised when they get into high tier battle with their low tier ship. The battle's tier is characteristic that shows the minimal and maximal tier of the enemy ships if they are not in division. The MM is different for each class, but it's possible to set it for each individual ship and there are some with special MM.

For now it's random in which battle you will get (as top tier or as lowest tier), it simply depends which battle tier will be filled first. There are plans to limit the amount of battles where you will end up as the lowest tier and after few such battles in a row the MM will let you wait for battle where you will be top tier.

Battleships

Ship's tier \ Battle's tier I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X
I                         
II                    
III            
IV            
V            
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Cruisers

I                
II                
III              
IV              
V              
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Destroyers

I                    
II                
III              
IV              
V              
VI            
VII            
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Aircraft carriers

I                    
II                    
III                    
IV                
V                
VI              
VII              
VIII              
IX                
X                  

Exceptions:

Iwaki Alpha(IV): 4-5

Yubari (IV): 4-5

Atlanta (VII): 7-9

Arkansas Beta (IV): 4-6

+1 :honoring:

2 people like this

Yuubari and Iwaki get sheltered MM?  Cool, that explains some stuff.  Thanks.  :great:

+1

PUT THIS IN THE WIKI --- Please.

Actually, the wiki needs lots of help.

7 to 10!? holy crap. i hope they wil chance that when more players are on or something cause damn..

Regarding MM -  my  last total  games  are    something like this  :

->   4    victories .

->  18 - 19 defeats !!!

Maybe  i am a  bad  player  for this  game   or maybe MM  is  broken ... What else  i am supose  to understand  from this ? My team   die  like  flyes  over  and  over  again ...

2 people like this

There is quite a bit more to MM then those charts, the parts WG never talk about (well apart from the video where they came clean but has long since disappeared).

1 person likes this

The 1.april video? :trollface:

For now there is no rigged MM where if you are the lowest tier in X amount of battles your next will be as top tier.

I DONT BELIVE THIS! I am so frustrated-like Rois said 10 battle-9 defeats,or maybe more!I have 3 accounts in different mails all the same idiot think!At the beginigs -tier 3 or 4 all is fun. lose-win-normal,but after tier 4 is a nightmare!I belive if we are afk ,the rate of winnigs is more great!IS NOT ONLY MY CASE! I have friends ho play, and the same think. How mm make teams, and ho win?????? I belive and im sure in the middle is a russian crap,nothing personal just bussines.(sorry for bad english)

2 people like this

I would think that with 30k+ players on this OBT you would get decent, about the same tier MM matches, but NO.

1 person likes this

Defeats..schmeets!

Play the battle, grab as much xp out of it as you can, maybe complete a daily....and go back in again.

No-one bothers about other peoples 'defeats'.

Or at least provide as much xp as possible to enemy team. Like when you are fighting in tier VI battle with a tier III battleship you just bought. Don't worry about range, damage and speed of every other ship in the battle being at least 50% higher than yours. It's an eat-all-you-want shell buffet just for you.

But seriously, the impossibility of giving players an option to limit possible tier differences in matchmaking at a cost of longer waiting time is beyond my understanding.

Thats not the issue here its the actual match maker: example place 2 cv's in the MM against 1 cv or 1 cv against none on the other team. Gentlemen this is not WOT and you treat this MM as it were wot. There's Big difference between a CV and arty piece. Here u can direct you sq to the target and attack, you cannot direct a shell from the arty piece. You create a big mismatch, these matches are getting  alot of players very frustrated because of this. 

well i still say the MM is broken.

i just had a match where we had a tier 5 CV, while the enemy had a tier tier 9! and then the MM tried to balance that out with some different tiers at BBs, cruisers and DDs.

we still won, but until we won, the enemy CV simply could do what ever he pleases. when he attacked our US BBs, we were not even able to shoot one plane down at his assault, and US BBs doesnt have weak AA...

i have no problem with spreading tiers, but at least put the same amount of CVs and especially at CVs the same tier in both teams, cause even 1 tier difference means win or loss in a fighter duell and if your CV doesnt even have a chance to protect his squads, he is most of the time completely screwed and so is his team.

i have so many games lately, at which they place 1 CV against 2 CVs, or 1 CV against none CV and if those CV captains have at least a little skill, the game is already imbalanced, especially at low to mid tiers, where AA isnt really strong yet and a lot of ships have no defence aside from dodging against planes.

1 person likes this

well i still say the MM is broken.

i just had a match where we had a tier 5 CV, while the enemy had a tier tier 9! and then the MM tried to balance that out with some different tiers at BBs, cruisers and DDs.

we still won, but until we won, the enemy CV simply could do what ever he pleases. when he attacked our US BBs, we were not even able to shoot one plane down at his assault, and US BBs doesnt have weak AA...

i have no problem with spreading tiers, but at least put the same amount of CVs and especially at CVs the same tier in both teams, cause even 1 tier difference means win or loss in a fighter duell and if your CV doesnt even have a chance to protect his squads, he is most of the time completely screwed and so is his team.

i have so many games lately, at which they place 1 CV against 2 CVs, or 1 CV against none CV and if those CV captains have at least a little skill, the game is already imbalanced, especially at low to mid tiers, where AA isnt really strong yet and a lot of ships have no defence aside from dodging against planes.

Well its bullcrap ther is a Limit on 2 Carrier max

Well its bullcrap ther is a Limit on 2 Carrier max

As far as I understood ge didn't  say it was more then 2 CVs in either of teams. He said the tiers was very uneven.

Here is how the MM SHOULD work.

You ashould never be able to be paired only with ships higher then yourself. The higest tier ships in the battle should always be the ones there are fewest off, and the lowest the oens there are most off.

If i get in as a tier 3 ship and only see tier 4-6 ships on my team and the enemy team, i know ui'm going to be bullcrap useless that round.

Sadly this happens 3/5 times

It would've been nice if they learned from WoT and didn't create the same kind of messy matchmaking, with differences between classes and premium matchmaking and all that kind of strange stuff making life difficult for the matchmaker. Especially since it'll likely have a lot fewer players to fill matches with.

It's also annoying for the players: A division of tier 5 ships simply shouldn't have to worry about matchmaking.

Could Mikasa Tier II BB be added to the MM chart, please?

I'm 99% sure it's tier 2-3 MM, but I have to verify it first :)

Firstly, the rules as described in your tables are completely wrecking the game for weaker ships. They are basically an "exp meat" for those stronger and premium. This is completely not acceptable, and will drive many players away from the game.

Secondly, the table is not correct - quite frequently the "match" is even more unequal. Situations like on the image below (edit: no divisions in this game apart from two Amagis) are not rare, and I made this one screenshot mostly because it was I who happened to be a poor NY dropped between Amagis, Atagos, Shokaku and Orleanses. BTW my team managed to win that example - first thing our CVs did was to destroy Shokaku, which was busy attacking... me - but there was definitely nothing to do for NewYorks there, beside being a meatshield.

Thirdly, simple question: why divisions with tiers differing by more than 1 are allowed at all? What has Erie to do in a game where Iowa is shooting NorthCarolina? Chester or Erie vs Myoko is quite frequent idiotic setup.

Things like unequal number of carriers are supposed to be solved in 0.4.1, but it is only a tip of the iceberg.

You simply can't "equalize game" which "rolled" battleships from tier IV against tier VII by adding destroyers and cruisers tier VII-VIII against tier IV. This is unfair both for battleships and for other ships.

Tiers are made for a reason, and matches should MOSTLY be played between ships of EQUAL tier. I can understand ONE TIER spread, but FOUR is SICK. CapsLock intended - what is happening how is totally random mismatch. Only destroyer and carrier captains cand find themselves relatively comfortable in that situation - they are more offensively playing and can easily choose target to fight with. Cruisers and battleships, when facing enemies 4 tiers stronger can only hope to be ignored.

sickmm1.png

Edited by EdiJo

Firstly, the rules as described in your tables are completely wrecking the game for weaker ships. They are basically an "exp meat" for those stronger and premium. This is completely not acceptable, and will drive many players away from the game.

Secondly, the table is not correct - quite frequently the "match" is even more unequal. Situations like on the image below (edit: no divisions in this game apart from two Amagis) are not rare, and I made this one screenshot mostly because it was I who happened to be a poor NY dropped between Amagis, Atagos, Shokaku and Orleanses. BTW my team managed to win that example - first thing our CVs did was to destroy Shokaku, which was busy attacking... me - but there was definitely nothing to do for NewYorks there, beside being a meatshield.

Thirdly, simple question: why divisions with tiers differing by more than 1 are allowed at all? What has Erie to do in a game where Iowa is shooting NorthCarolina? Chester or Erie vs Myoko is quite frequent idiotic setup.

Things like unequal number of carriers are supposed to be solved in 0.4.1, but it is only a tip of the iceberg.

You simply can't "equalize game" which "rolled" battleships from tier IV against tier VII by adding destroyers and cruisers tier VII-VIII against tier IV. This is unfair both for battleships and for other ships.

Tiers are made for a reason, and matches should MOSTLY be played between ships of EQUAL tier. I can understand ONE TIER spread, but FOUR is SICK. CapsLock intended - what is happening how is totally random mismatch. Only destroyer and carrier captains cand find themselves relatively comfortable in that situation - they are more offensively playing and can easily choose target to fight with. Cruisers and battleships, when facing enemies 4 tiers stronger can only hope to be ignored.

I'm inclined to agree that Battleship match-making may be a little over the top. However, I can see why they have been given this match-making; BB guns are deadly. A Wyoming's (IV) guns are more than capable of ending a Pensacola (VII) in one salvo. To suit your example, a New York can also did incredible damage to New Orelans and Amagi. Yes, you're a lower tier, but it really isn't the end of the world. Granted, the MM does appear to have cracked open the wine early with that MM, but there are MM changes imminent, we have to trust the developers find a nice balance.

Also, re-reading your post, what are you saying with 4 tier difference? The only way to have a 4 tier difference is to fail platoon (or division I guess here). If you are in a division with something other than your tier level, you run the risk of facing higher tier enemies that will not suit the whole division. That's fine, it makes the game harder for them, but the one annoying thing is it gives the entire a team a disadvantage, as they are already technically a ship down on the enemy. Perhaps a little notification after you click battle saying the division isn't 'optimal' or 'You run the risk of facing a higher tier opponent than normal' would be an idea, but don't hold your breath on it.

I'm inclined to agree that Battleship match-making may be a little over the top.

Why use euphemism? It is totally unplayable sometimes, I gave you an example.

A Wyoming's (IV) guns are more than capable of ending a Pensacola (VII) in one salvo.

Really? I am eagerly awaiting your 1:1 replay of a game with you in Wyo vs a dumb bot in PepsiCola. Wyo shoots once per half a minute, being BB has more than a km shorter range, way inferior accuracy and has 55-60% of Cola's speed. Not talking about detection range. Good luck.

To suit your example, a New York can also did incredible damage to New Orelans and Amagi. Yes, you're a lower tier, but it really isn't the end of the world.

Yeah, sure. And try to fight a bot using NY vs Orleans, Mogami, Atago, and the rest of ships from my screenshot, and THEN elaborate about 'deadly guns' ;)

I'm not a "pro" at all, but in mentioned game I managed to have a cit or two on Atago (though not much hp taken, contradicting your Deadly Guns Theory), but I was torped by Shokaku (no way to dodge that, AA zero-effective...) and immediately had 4 fires from Mogami (no repair after repairing flooding). Do you have any suggestions, how to play NY differently in such a company? ;/

we have to trust the developers find a nice balance

And commenting, giving examples of failures should be taken into account by them, right?

what are you saying with 4 tier difference? The only way to have a 4 tier difference is to fail platoon (or division I guess here).

Yup, but it happens very often. Regarding my example, there was not any multi-tier division, and there was a 3 tier difference between me and 7/12 of the enemy team.

Anyway multi-tier "fail platoon" is actually a WG fail, because such divisions should not be allowed to join a game in the first place.

Perhaps a little notification after you click battle saying the division isn't 'optimal' or 'You run the risk of facing a higher tier opponent than normal' would be an idea, but don't hold your breath on it.

No, not only THEY run the risk - they hamper the game for the whole team. And no, adding Tier VII-VIII cruiser/destroyer "to balance" some Erie or Chester in Tier V game is not going to solve anything.

Battles should be fought only between +/- 1 tier, and for most of the time you should be in the average tier of your team. That's so obvious, that the only reason to break that rule which comes to me is that WG wants to limit time of assembling the teams. But, evidently, most of players would wait a minute or two more and have more equal game, especially judging by in-game comments after another fail-matchmaking.

Also, hidden "preferable matchmaking" for premium ships smells like pay-to-win, and I hope it is not the intention of developers... Wonder, why then seemingly longer waiting time with tighter matchmaking was not a concern for premiums?

Edit: i have to withdraw my claim regarding playing with dumb bots - bots are actually even less inteligent than I thought (oO). In NY i disposed of bot PepsiCola pretty quickly, scoring more hits than he had. Bot just charged at me until I killed him from a distance of a few hundred meters. This does not at all change the ship comparison in real games, though... Also, bots don't have any commander boosts and it seems don't use any upgrades (e.g. for range, gun rotating, shell damage and ship mobility).

Edited by EdiJo