Sharana

[Basics] Damage mechanics

72 posts in this topic

want to make more accounts to give multiple +1's

too lazy though, but i'd like to ask a moderator to make this sticky. great job man!

Awesome guide. 

Good thing armor penetration values and armor values are available to see in-game -_-

1 person likes this

Awesome stuff, Sharana dude, apologies, out of plus ones.

1 person likes this

So is it possible for overpenetrations to cause flooding if one or both holes are below the waterline?

I think it's a very reasonable mechanic and would do a lot for big caliber guns usefulness.

Shells can't cause flooding and they don't plan to make such feature. They say that it's "random" (the dispersion) and citadel hits hurt enough, so flooding is reserved only for torpedo hits.

Waitwaitwait - the Fire Prevention percentage is multiplicative? Experience seems to tell otherwise, since if I have that skill trained for a captain, DDs light me on fire practically never; as opposed to 5% of the time minus an insignificant amount. Anybody else have similar experience?

Also if it really is -7% multiplicative, then this is an astonishingly pointless skill to train. I would really like this cleared up before I waste any other captain's skill points on it.

Other than that, thanks for a great guide!

You had luck in such case. There were also few HE changes and the Pyromania bug was fixed. If it was really -7% they would have left it on tier 5 instead of lowering it down to tier 2 skill. And it's from RU dev explanation, so yes it's multiplicative.

Shells can't cause flooding and they don't plan to make such feature. They say that it's "random" (the dispersion) and citadel hits hurt enough, so flooding is reserved only for torpedo hits.

Im going to re-enable training rooms in my client when I get home tonight & I'm a-gonna do some testing in the next few days, because I think (& many, many, many people are reporting in various threads (Yubari buff threads in the relevant section, Gremy threads in the relevant section & also the Sims thread in the relevant section) that HE-near misses to the rear of a light cruiser or destroyer are now capable of KO'ing steering & propulsion, without causing any health-point damage.

Once I've had a good long look at this, would you care for the data?

Yes they cause criticals with splash. Before it was damage + critical from splash, now (since ~ 0.3.1) it's only critical. Dive bombers do the same when they miss. The shells have their explosive radius depending on the calibre and if the explosion is near the ship (inside this radius) they can knock out modules.

1 person likes this

Thanks mate, any idea if they upped the chance for a crit when they patched this? It just seems to happen all the time now (speculative, obviously, but it's not just me...).

It would nice if they implemented that near-misses of DBs would result in flooding.

Thanks mate, any idea if they upped the chance for a crit when they patched this? It just seems to happen all the time now (speculative, obviously, but it's not just me...).

No idea and I doubt they will say. But I guess it's a problem as everyone is spamming HE and that's their job, to knoch out modules...

The torpedo damage and chance of flooding depends on the torpedo itself and the anti torpedo protection of the ship. It progresses with the tiers where tier 1 ships don't have any (so 0% reduction) and tier 10  BBs (best anti torpedo protection) have 50% reduction of damage and chance of flooding, the rest is scaled inbetween. The flooding damage itself also depends on the tier and it's between 0.5% and 0.125% hp/sec. That mean that tier 1 ships will lose 0.5%hp/sec, while tier 10 only 0.125% hp/sec. There can be only 1 flooding. Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

This part is either wrong or outdated. I had a match in my Wyoming yesterday where I took ~500 damage per tick from a single torpedo hit, about 1% hp/sec, for a tier 4 ship, about three times as much as the 0.5%-0.125% range would imply.

Now add this to the projected repair time of 100 seconds, which means that if you get unlucky with your 2 minute repair cooldown, you'll die from a single torp hit causing flooding.

They changed nothing for now. The tick is 2 seconds if I'm not mistaken, so you see the values x2 once every 2 sec. If that's not the case are you sure it was simply flooding?

They changed nothing for now. The tick is 2 seconds if I'm not mistaken, so you see the values x2 once every 2 sec. If that's not the case are you sure it was simply flooding?

I'll have to recheck the replay when I'm back home, but there were definitely several periods with no other source of incoming damage.

Result screen showed about 22000 damage taken from shells, the remaining ~30k (including the additional HP from 2 repairs) must've come from two relatively short fires and the flooding.

Oh and btw, thanks for gathering all this information on the game mechanics. Makes WG's "information" policy regarding game mechanics a bit more bearable.

You're right, the ticks occur every 2 seconds.

So after another check, the flooding caused 511 damage every 2 seconds. Out of 43800 hitpoints. Or 0.58% per second. Still quite a bit more than "somewhere between 0.5% and 0.125%"

fire damage also seems to be higher.  in a training room, a bot Yamato burned for around 585 HP a second (or ~0.6% per tick).

fire damage also seems to be higher.  in a training room, a bot Yamato burned for around 585 HP a second (or ~0.6% per tick).

The tick where you see the hp change is once every 2 sec, so 0.3%/sec will be 0.6% per tick.

0.3%/sec for BB/CA/DD and 0.4%/sec for CVs were confirmed by WG for 0.4.0 version unless there are ninja changes with the micropatches.

The fire mechanic is horrible, terrible even. If I had known that 7% fire reduction skill was completely worthless, never would have trained for it...

Edited by Jamezdin

So, Zuiho TB max damages is 8567 per torp, so why did i just scored 10300 on a DD (one shot) without blowing her ammorack ???

It's in the first post. I've made up to 11 800 from those 8500 torps.

Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

Destroyers take increased torpedo damage in the middle section of their ship, that's why sometimes 1 torpedo from TB can oneshot them even if the max damage is lower then their hp pool.

I passionately hate this mechanic... :(

It's in the first post. I've made up to 11 800 from those 8500 torps.

Thx mate :)