You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Szandor

Why the 76 FPS lock?

49 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
11 posts
842 battles

As the title says. Why is the game locked at 76 FPS? Is there a way to unlock it? or am I out of luck on that one? I really hope this is not the case or that it's only like that during beta. I have a high-end pc and a 144 Hz monitor (ROG swift to be exact) and I would love to utilize the full potential of my rig.

Anyone else thinking this is a weird thing to limit?

Szandor out 

Beta Tester
11 posts
842 battles

V-sync is unchecked. Triple buffering disabled too... as it should be for G-sync to fully work... still locked at 76 FPS though

Edited by Szandor

[GN0ME]
Beta Tester
5,342 posts
2,957 battles

V-sync is unchecked. Triple buffering disabled too... as it should be for G-sync to fully work... still locked at 76 FPS though

maybe it doesnt support higher

Beta Tester
11 posts
842 battles

View PostError509, on 26 June 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

76 FPS isn't exactly low, you won't notice much if anything at all going higher

you are right... though it's still a weird number... why not 60 or 120?.. I'm capable at running the game at 144 FPS... donno why they would lock it at 76... I know this is a 1st world problem. And I'm just a bit picky... but still, think they should unlock the FPS for the people like me that have the power to actually push beyond those 76 FPS.

Edit... there is a big difference between 76 FPS and 144. Not trying to stand out as an elitist. But belive me when I say: There is a big difference

View PostUserext, on 26 June 2015 - 08:53 PM, said:

maybe it doesnt support higher

Think you are right... had some hope that some dev guy could verify that.

Edited by BigBadVuk

Beta Tester
93 posts
2,787 battles

you are right... though it's still a weird number... why not 60 or 120?.. I'm capable at running the game at 144 FPS... donno why they would lock it at 76... I know this is a 1st world problem. And I'm just a bit picky... but still, think they should unlock the FPS for the people like me that have the power to actually push beyond those 76 FPS.

Edit... there is a big difference between 76 FPS and 144. Not trying to stand out as an elitist. But belive me when I say: There is a big difference

I too am limited at 76 FPS, and I have played games at higher FPS than that. I really don't see any massive difference above 60 fps. But that might just be my eyes

Beta Tester
11 posts
842 battles

I too am limited at 76 FPS, and I have played games at higher FPS than that. I really don't see any massive difference above 60 fps. But that might just be my eyes

Well... I just hope that a dev would verify that it's locked for the time being. I know it's not a big deal... just a bit weird it's locked at 76.

Alpha Tester
150 posts
197 battles

It's lock. People where asking about it in the past. Then again from all who i know that asked you are only one with monitor that can actually benefit from FPS unlock.

Beta Tester
11 posts
842 battles

It's lock. People where asking about it in the past. Then again from all who i know that asked you are only one with monitor that can actually benefit from FPS unlock.

Yea ok... Well, here is to the hopes it will be unlocked :)

Beta Tester
3 posts
1,416 battles

You can remove the fps lock. In your WoWs\res folder open the "engine_config.xml" with the editor of your choice and look for "<maxFrameRate>75</maxFrameRate>", change it to whatever you like, but remember:

- create a backup of the file

- modifying this file can make your game crash or become otherwise unstable

- I'm not to blame if you break your game ;)

• Cool 1

[GRKEN]
Supertester
1,043 posts
4,239 battles

Well,since most of the WG community has Soviet-era wooden "Calculators" instead of actual computers,it isnt unusual to lock a game in a respectful fps. 

Most of the playerbase will not even reach 30....

[RZV]
[RZV]
Weekend Tester
13 posts
12,058 battles

I think they locked it because without the lock the framerate on a good pc goes all the way from 75-200 and back down again in the blink of an eye. The unlocked framerate is very unstable.

Neither can you in the game select the refresh rate of your screen like you can with world of tanks where you can set it to 60, 120, 144 etc.

Edited by Verus

Players
9 posts
165 battles

All above 35 frames doesn't make a difference. If anyone states it other - he simply lie. The eyes can't figure out things in less than 30ms - 33 frames - and just produce shadows in your brain. Nothing which has any advantage in such a game rather overall.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 4

Beta Tester
304 posts
957 battles

All above 35 frames doesn't make a difference. If anyone states it other - he simply lie. The eyes can't figure out things in less than 30ms - 33 frames - and just produce shadows in your brain. Nothing which has any advantage in such a game rather overall.

This is complete an utter bullcrap. A screen isn't synched to your eyes. If eyes and human brain are incapable of seeing more than 33 FPS, what was all the noise about the 48FPS hobbit then? 

Go learn some science and some biology. 

• Cool 2

[WOTN]
Beta Tester
234 posts
9,314 battles

interesting comparison:

xnGbDts.gif

• Cool 5

Beta Tester
304 posts
957 battles

interesting comparison:

xnGbDts.gif

Yeah he's referencing an ancient myth from the time movies were first invented. The human eye is capable of seeing more than 200 FPS. We actually don't have the tech yet to measure how insanely good the human visual cortex is. 

(Humans will in varying degrees 'notice' or not notice higher FPS however - just as some people struggle to see the difference between the image and color quality of a cheap TV and high end TV.)

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,034 posts
7,021 battles

Meh, to add to the debae, I would like to say that you will not notice a difference above 60 FPS (without the placebo effect and different from person to person) unless there is a massive drop in the framerate, especially with all the action going about in thi,

Why WG decided to cap the framerate at 76 FPS (dat number though), I have no idea, but I would guess that they did not want an unlimited resource consumption.

Players
9 posts
165 battles

interesting comparison:

xnGbDts.gif

24 fps is the limit I mentioned? Right? NOT. 35 was it.

It isn't a myth. It's the simple functionality of the visual organ that can't give biochemical feedback about things happen in less than 20 ms. If things happen in a such short timespan, the brain haven't enough data to recognize what happen and can't give feedback. A sort of subconsciousness advertisement use this lack of time of the brain to create a message, the brain confuse with things to connect it without you can realize why - which is forbidden at least in my country.

And because 35 fps is the lower limit for the eye to see motions fluent, anything above 50 fps have at no time any impact - out of the above mentioned brain manipulation - But 50 is only for those things needed, that need a instant feedback of reaction happen to the action, which is nonexistent in this game as all things happen in several seconds(ship movement/gun fire etc.) and not in ms like in egoshootern.

• Bad 2

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

76 FPS isn't exactly low, you won't notice much if anything at all going higher

That´s your eyes not working properly. It´s a massive difference between 60 and 120-144. 

I have the same problem, FPS is locked at 75 for some weird reason. 

If you have a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor you can play around with settings here. 

https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
369 posts
1,516 battles

It isn't a myth. It's the simple functionality of the visual organ that can't give biochemical feedback about things happen in less than 20 ms. If things happen in a such short timespan, the brain haven't enough data to recognize what happen and can't give feedback. A sort of subconsciousness advertisement use this lack of time of the brain to create a message, the brain confuse with things to connect it without you can realize why - which is forbidden at least in my country.

And because 35 fps is the lower limit for the eye to see motions fluent, anything above 50 fps have at no time any impact - out of the above mentioned brain manipulation - But 50 is only for those things needed, that need a instant feedback of reaction happen to the action, which is nonexistent in this game as all things happen in several seconds(ship movement/gun fire etc.) and not in ms like in egoshootern.

Utter nonsense. 
  • Cool 4

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,087 battles

Now please stop the pseudoscience alright?

• Cool 2

Players
9 posts
165 battles

Now please stop the pseudoscience alright?

And what do you read there? Because it's close to that what I said.

And being smart-alecky with the fighter pilot example is just trolling. And even such fighter pilots can only recognize the small differences within frames, which is nonexistent in this game. As already said: This game isn't about fast pace action - this is about ships.

Alpha Tester
18,781 posts
6,087 battles

And what do you read there? Because it's close to that what I said.

And being smart-alecky with the fighter pilot example is just trolling. And even such fighter pilots can only recognize the small differences within frames, which is nonexistent in this game. As already said: This game isn't about fast pace action - this is about ships.

35 ~ 45, but it's close yes. But 25% being able to see > 60fps reliably is not a small group either. 

Edit: and I won't bring up the 220fps+ of fighter pilots, just because you asked me to :)

Edited by mtm78